Debian Install

rolanaj

Well it certainly looks like it is there

debian:/home/rolana# cd /usr/share/apsfilter/driver/pipsdebian:/usr/share/apsfilter/driver/pips# lssc20s  sc480  sc60s      sc70s  sc880  sp810_820sc40s  sc580  sc680_777  sc80s  sc980debian:/usr/share/apsfilter/driver/pips#         
EDITED for spelling or typing one or the other possibly both :whistling: Edited by rolanaj

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rolanaj

• Bruno

• teacher

• finotti

Well . . . looks like your Deb has the pips allright . . :whistling: . . . . . but now the question is why apsfilter can not find them ( where they are clearly in the /apsfilter/driver directory )Maybe run apsfilter again . . . . . ( ?? ):D Bruno

What if you do not print a test page . . finish the config . . . and try to print a regular textfile ?:whistling: Burno

just clicking on the print icon brings up the print dialog I tell it to print it acts like it going to and nothing happens no errors no anything

What if you try another driver . . . the sc480 for example ?? ( or the sc60s . . or any other ? ):whistling: Bruno

I tried several and was not able to print a test page with any of them I am wondering if maybe I have one of the other settings wrong and that is getting in the way. I chose a parallel usb printer and default printing method auto. Maybe what ever kept me from printing in cups is also the problem with apsfilter. I am not sure why I like Debian because it has been a bit of a nuisance to get set up, but I do like it. I'll play around a bit more and maybe uninstall and reinstall apsfilter and see if that helps. Maybe if I try to print from the command line I'll get an error message that might help.

Maybe what ever kept me from printing in cups is also the problem with apsfilter.
That is what I was thinking too . . . because ( as you said ) cups does support your printer in other distros . . . :whistling: Bruno

I copied all my files from windows and Mandrake over to Mandriva, it is working really well. I can't get rid of Windows as the kids like it for whatever reasons, but I can now get rid of Mandrake, which means I will have to fill that empty space with something else :whistling: just thougtht I would give you a little warning. I have lots of cds here to pick form too. PCLos seemed to have some kind of issue when I tried to run it live which might be a good learning experience - Ubuntu is ok but it has that Gnome desktop going on which would mean having to install a different window manager :D See I haven't even got debian sorted out and all ready .....Seriously thanks for all the help everyone I would never try all these distros without all the great help here.

found this and thought I might give it a try. cupsomatic-ppd

linuxprinting.org printer support - transition packageFoomatic is a printer database designed to make it easier to set upcommon printers for use with Debian (and other operating systems).It provides the "glue" between a print spooler (like CUPS or lpr) andyour actual printer, by telling your computer how to process filessent to the printer.This package depends on the foomatic-filters-ppds package, whichreplaces the functionality of this package.  This package can besafely removed once you have installed foomatic-filters-ppds.Home Page: http://www.linuxprinting.org/
Cant hurt to try it any way

Well still working on that printer this page tells me it can be done and that I need the gimp-print driver. I went into synaptic and looked for gimp-print found something similar but not exact added that hoping, when I try to add printer it just sits there like it is loading but nothing happens. So I am thinking I probably need to go here and download the driver and install it myself. I am assuming that gimp-print-4.2.7.tar.gz is the one I want as I'm not sure what ppc.dmg file is.I changed the append line for Debian sarge again as every other time I had trouble booting so now I am trying append="acpi=off no apci" can you have two append lines or can you have more than one variable in an append line?Still noticing lock up in Debian, I hesitate to call it a freeze up as it actually comes out of it by itself. Almost seems like too much is running at once or something even though there might only be the browser and Konsole open. Trying to add the printer pretty much locks it up as well.

I changed the append line for Debian sarge again as every other time I had trouble booting so now I am trying append="acpi=off no apci" can you have two append lines or can you have more than one variable in an append line?

You can only have one appendline . . but have more variables in that one line without problems :)Sorry to hear that the freezes are not gone yet.Have no idea what a ppc.dmg file is myself either . . . o:):D Bruno

You can only have one appendline . . but have more variables in that one line without problems :)Sorry to hear that the freezes are not gone yet.Have no idea what a ppc.dmg file is myself either . . . :D:thumbsup: Bruno

It appears that ppc.dmg is a Mac file. dmg is installer disk image so you will find ppc.dmg as the extension to a number of Mac files. :thumbsup:

I tried several and was not able to print a test page with any of them I am wondering if maybe I have one of the other settings wrong and that is getting in the way. I chose a parallel usb printer and default printing method auto.  Maybe what ever kept me from printing in cups is also the problem with apsfilter. 

Ahhh... my input parser has a yellow flag up on that -- what is a parallel usb printer? I think that would be either / or -- some printers have both types of connector, and I imagine you'd have to tell the printer somehow [and the printer spooler] which you wish to use.