Debian Install

rolanaj

You asked for it

rolana@debian:~$ cat /etc/grouproot:x:0:daemon:x:1:bin:x:2:sys:x:3:adm:x:4:tty:x:5:disk:x:6:lp:x:7:mail:x:8:news:x:9:uucp:x:10:man:x:12:proxy:x:13:kmem:x:15:dialout:x:20:rolanafax:x:21:voice:x:22:cdrom:x:24:rolana,halfloppy:x:25:rolana,haltape:x:26:sudo:x:27:audio:x:29:rolanadip:x:30:www-data:x:33:backup:x:34:operator:x:37:list:x:38:irc:x:39:src:x:40:gnats:x:41:shadow:x:42:utmp:x:43:video:x:44:rolanasasl:x:45:plugdev:x:46:rolanastaff:x:50:games:x:60:users:x:100:nogroup:x:65534:crontab:x:101:Debian-exim:x:102:rolana:x:1000:messagebus:x:103:hal:x:104:dirmngr:x:105:ssh:x:106:camera:x:107:saned:x:108:scanner:x:109:gdm:x:110:rolana@debian:~$                 

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rolanaj

• Bruno

• teacher

• finotti

See this part ?

audio:x:29:rolanadip:x:30:rolanawww-data:x:33:
That is all there is to it :)I will now reboot to Debian so I can give the instrictions fro the xlib error you are getting when using SUB) Bruno

Bruno it won't let me make the change as the file is read only but root has write permissions so I don't get why it won't let me make the change. Should I use something other than vi?

Okay . . .for the xlib error:Make a little script ( as user ):

$ vi /home/rolana/.kde/Autostart/xhost

Put in that script the next text:

#!/bin/bashxhost +
Save the file ( Esc and ZZ )Make it executable:
$ chmod 755  /home/rolana/.kde/Autostart/xhost

So that is the first part . . . while you do this I will type the second part ;):D Bruno

rolana@debian:~$ ls -l /home/rolana/.kde/Autostart/xhost-rwxr-xr-x  1 rolana rolana 20 2005-06-30 15:59 /home/rolana/.kde/Autostart/xhostrolana@debian:~$ cat /home/rolana/.kde/Autostart/xhost#!/bin/bashxhost +rolana@debian:~$

Next script as root:

# vi /etc/init.d/xhost

The text

#!/bin/bashset DISPLAY=localhost:0.0
Save the file . . . Make it executable:
# chmod 755 /etc/init.d/xhost

Then link it

# ln -s /etc/init.d/xhost /etc/rcS.d/S77xhost

Now reboot and you can use "su" the usual way without getting errors.:P BrunoAm working on your Win partition instructions :D

Not sure if this is ok or not

debian:/home/rolana# vi /etc/init.d/xhostXlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverXlib: No protocol specifiedXlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverXlib: No protocol specifiedXlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverXlib: No protocol specifieddebian:/home/rolana# chmod 755 /etc/init.d/xhostdebian:/home/rolana# ln -s /etc/init.d/xhost /etc/rcS.d/S77xhostdebian:/home/rolana#debian:/home/rolana# cat /etc/init.d/xhost#!/bin/bashset DISPLAY=localhost:0.0debian:/home/rolana#         

Yep sure it did work . . . but you have to reboot for it to take effect ( or if you do not want to reboot right now . . give the command "xhost +" as user and "set DISPLAY=localhost:0.0" as root :D ) . . . . . . are we ready for the Windows partition mounting ??:P Bruno

Mounting the Windows partition:First we make a new directory in /media:

# mkdir /media/windows

Then we can mount the Windows partition ( for this example Windows is on hda1 ) ;

# mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /media/windows

And we can see what is on Windows with:

# ls /media/windows

Do not forget to umount the partition when you are ready with it:

# umount /media/windows

Well I think we covered the basics now . . . . didn' t we ??:D Bruno

Well I have to be root to open kppp still as I havent figured out how to write to the /etc/group says it is read only and won't let me proceed. I got online with just using su

debian:/home/rolana# kpppQPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being usedQPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being usedQPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being usedQPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being usedkbuildsycoca running...KWrited - Listening on Device /dev/pts/2Opener: received SetSecretOpener: received SetSecretOpener: received OpenLockOpener: received OpenDeviceOpener: received ExecPPPDaemonIn parent: pppd pid 1975Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such deviceKernel supports ppp alright.Opener: received OpenResolvOpener: received OpenResolvOpener: received OpenResolvOpener: received RemoveSecretOpener: received RemoveSecret                                         
I wasn't sure it was going to work.

Ok this doesn't look good either

rolana@debian:~$ suPassword:debian:/home/rolana# mkdir /media/windowsdebian:/home/rolana# mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /media/windowsmount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,      missing codepage or other error      In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try      dmesg | tail  or sodebian:/home/rolana#

debian:/home/rolana# ls /media/windowsAUTOEXEC.BAT            hijackthis      ScanSoftAVG7DB_F.DAT            IO.SYS          Security ProgramsAVG7QT.DAT              Modem Drivers    SEGAboot.ini                MSDOS.SYS        Spyware ToolsConfig.Msi              ns.ist          System Volume InformationCONFIG.SYS              NTDETECT.COM    tempdlbt.log                ntldr            TREKCDDocuments and Settings  pagefile.sys    $VAULT$.AVGDownloaded Programs    Program Files    WestwoodEPSONREG                RECYCLER        WINDOWSGames                  Scanner Driversdebian:/home/rolana#                   
Much better, thanks Bruno.

Well I have to go to work and I won't be back till late tonight. The only thing I think I need to figure out is how to get myself added to the group dip. I tried doing it with vi but when I went to save it said it was read only, it said something about override with ! but I didn't get it figured out.

The only thing I think I need to figure out is how to get myself added to the group dip. I tried doing it with vi but when I went to save it said it was read only, it said something about override with ! but I didn't get it figured out.
I think you did not do the edit to group as root . . . . and that is why it did not work ;)You can also do ( as root )
# usermod -G dip rolana

But check after that if "cat /etc/group" does indeed show "rolana" as member of the "dip" group :)Glad the mounting was successful though :'( ( hope you did not forget to umount ):P Bruno

Just a few things:1) To add a user to a group, you could also do (as root!!)

adduser <user>  <group>

2) I am not sure here (Bruno certainly knows more than me), but would not be better to use "xhost +local:localhost" instead of "xhost +" only? I though that the latter could be a security risk...Good luck,Luis

Well I got myself added to the group, checked with cat /etc/group and there I was. So now I can open Kppp as rolana through the menu even. Thank you so much everyone. Now I have to set up email and see if sound works. I'm sure I will have more questions shortly.

All ready I have questions. I am able to mount windows as root only and can only access my music files as root, which is kind of annoying. I was able to play a file from the windows partition so I do have sound when I tried to listen to a cd I got an error asking if I had permissions for /dev/cdrom

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 8 2005-06-29 13:20 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdcrolana@debian:~$ ls -l /media/cdromlrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 6 2005-06-29 13:17 /media/cdrom -> cdrom0rolana@debian:~$
This looks right to me doesn't this mean that root, user and group all have read write and execute privileges?

Hi RolanaWhat you see is "lrwxrwxrwx" . . . but that is only because those files are links and all links have those permissions. What you should look at is the file where it is linking to:

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 8 2005-06-29 13:20 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc
So:
# ls -al /dev/hdc

:( Bruno

Ok so this is what I get

debian:/home/rolana# ls -al /dev/hdcbrw-rw----  1 root cdrom 22, 0 2005-02-26 01:38 /dev/hdc
- is for file, l is for link, and d is for directory, what is b for?

LOL . . . . Rolana . . . . . . "b" is for "block device" . . . . and what a block device is is hard to explain, but all your HD partitions and cdroms /dev devices are block devices. . . . . . Remember that you sometimes get an error when mounting a partition:

"mount: /dev/hda9 is not a valid block device"
I have tried to google for block device and did hope to find some text giving a clear defenition . . . but the closest I could come up with is: http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/kernel.html ( see first dot after hardware support )Now, for your situation there
brw-rw----  1 root cdrom 22, 0 2005-02-26 01:38 /dev/hdc
I would try to change the ownership with the next command:
# chown rolana /dev/hdc

So the result will be that "ls -al" will show

brw-rw----  1 rolana cdrom 22, 0 2005-02-26 01:38 /dev/hdc
Additionally you could check if "rolana" is part of the "cdrom"-group with the "cat /etc/group" command.:hysterical: BrunoAnother link about block devices: http://web.ask.com/redir?u=http%3A%2F%2Ftm...snip&Complete=1Note on link: there are also network-block-devices . . . . as far as I know all block devices live in /dev

debian:/home/rolana# chown rolana /dev/hdcdebian:/home/rolana# ls -l /dev/hdcbrw-rw----  1 rolana cdrom 22, 0 2005-02-26 01:38 /dev/hdcdebian:/home/rolana# cat /etc/grouproot:x:0:daemon:x:1:bin:x:2:sys:x:3:adm:x:4:tty:x:5:disk:x:6:lp:x:7:mail:x:8:news:x:9:uucp:x:10:man:x:12:proxy:x:13:kmem:x:15:dialout:x:20:fax:x:21:voice:x:22:cdrom:x:24:halfloppy:x:25:haltape:x:26:sudo:x:27:audio:x:29:dip:x:30:rolanawww-data:x:33:backup:x:34:operator:x:37:list:x:38:irc:x:39:src:x:40:gnats:x:41:shadow:x:42:utmp:x:43:video:x:44:sasl:x:45:plugdev:x:46:staff:x:50:games:x:60:users:x:100:nogroup:x:65534:crontab:x:101:Debian-exim:x:102:rolana:x:1000:messagebus:x:103:hal:x:104:dirmngr:x:105:ssh:x:106:camera:x:107:saned:x:108:scanner:x:109:gdm:x:110:debian:/home/rolana#   
Also did adduser rolana cdromWhen I put a cd in the dvd drive the computer seems to freeze up, took it out and all was normal. Actually debian seems to freeze up a fair amount. It usually comes out of it by itself though. I downloaded firefox last night and while I was doing that it took a really long time to load a page on a website.

Also did adduser rolana cdrom

Well I hate to argue with you but when I look at the output of /etc/group I do not see "rolana" added to the cdrom-group . . . :D . . . . . This could be because " adduser rolana cdrom" is not really the command to do so . . . . but:
# usermod -G cdrom rolana

Beside that detail, I do start to worry about the instability of your Debian install . . . usually a Deb install should be rock-stable-solid . . . . . .and from your text I get the impression that yours is not really that solid. . . . . :P:hysterical: Bruno

ok I just cut and pasted the relevant part here

dialout:x:20:fax:x:21:voice:x:22:cdrom:x:24:hal,rolanafloppy:x:25:haltape:x:26:sudo:x:27:audio:x:29:dip:x:30:www-data:x:33:
That seems to have worked this time. Question WHO is Hal???? You're right this doesn't seem like a stable install. I tend to have several tabs open on my browser at the same time and sometimes listen to music at the same time and maybe download something or other. Usually it isn't a problem but debian seems to be having an issue with it. Are you going to tell me that I need to do a reinstall again?? ;) Actually I don't mind as it is a definite learning opportunity, you seem to learn more when things are broke then when they are working good.

Let's see if I can get this right Rolana. Hal is a good friend. You want to keep him around. He comes in handy as he likes to work with his other friend, udev, and helps to make all those magical connections that keep you on the Internet. He works with his other friend as well, hotplug. Together they make a pretty neat trio to have around.

Well . . . more or less I was gently trying to mentally prepare you for it . .
Well maybe I can get my jumpdrive mounted and save my firefox download to that so I don't have to re download it. I had some trouble with that in Mandrake I think. I'll be back I'm sure with questions on mounting the jump drive just to mentally prepare everyone for the questions :thumbsup: