Debian Install

rolanaj

LOL . . . . most likely it will be:

# mkdir /media/jump# mount /dev/sda1 /media/jump

You can make sure of the "/dev/sda1" part by looking at the output "fdisk -l" when the jumpdrive is plugged in ;):thumbsup: Bruno

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rolanaj

• Bruno

• teacher

• finotti

Thanks Bruno, Now I'll just boot into linux and give that a shot, I have to boot into debian first don't I and then plug in the jump drive?

That worked great but fdisk -l didn't seem to do anything

debian:/home/rolana# fdisk -ldebian:/home/rolana#
I'm going to reinstall debian again, I can't open kppp as user now and I already had that problem solved so not sure what happened to it. Edited by rolanaj

I reinstalled debian, it does get easier each time :devil: I used lilo on the debian partition. Everything was all ready set up with my Mandrake lilo so I was able to boot into debian no trouble. I have the modem set up, had to add myself to the group dip and uncomment noauth and that seems to have done it. Clicked on the link in the menu and it started no problem. So now to check about playing a cd and installing firefox.Just a thought though, Debian isn't ready for the everyday user. Well maybe once it is set up but it is a whole lot easier to set up Mandrake. I also editted my /etc/apt/sources.list and removed the # in front of security.debian.org and changed testing to stable and updated and upgraded my system. Is there anything else I need t do there?

Thanks quint, I had downloaded firefox the other day and I saved it to my jump drive. So I was able to install it the only trouble is the menu editor froze when I tried to add it to the menu. I made a shortcut to it on the desktop though. Would it be better to add it through apt-get?

Thanks quint, I had downloaded firefox the other day and I saved it to my jump drive.  So I was able to install it the only trouble is the menu editor froze when I tried to add it to the menu.  I made a shortcut to it on the desktop though.  Would it be better to add it through apt-get?

Rolana,If it is working well, I would not take the chance of creating any small problems. :devil: On some of my distros', I have it in: < /home/quint >; in others, it is usually placed in < /usr/lib > or something else...to tell you the truth, it's more convenient (for me) to just leave it in < /home/quint >. HTH. :)P.S.: "apt-get" will ordinarily install it somewhere in < /usr >, then you would go to:
"K" > "Settings" > "Menu Updating Tool"
Edited by quint

Well this install of debian seems way more stable. I did # chown rolana /dev/hdc and checked to make sure I was a member of the group and everything was ok

cdrom:x:24:rolana,halfloppy:x:25:rolana,hal
I'm a little curious about the floppy group I belong to though as I haven't got a floppy drive on this computer.Any way I put a cd in the drive and KsCD is now playing with no tweaking at all to get sound this is absolutely cool, I noticed the same thing with Mandriva sound was on. I have to add my nVidia drivers to debian.I reinstalled Mandriva and am now using its lilo, I am really excited I got the lilo straightened out booting Mandriva, Mandrake, Debian and Windows by myself (well following the tips and this thread)I am having trouble getting kmail to open but I have a browser open, the konsole, and KsCD is it possible not having the nVidia drivers could slow things down?

Glad that the install behaves better this time :)

I am having trouble getting kmail to open but I have a browser open, the konsole, and KsCD is it possible not having the nVidia drivers could slow things down?
I would say that is unlikely . . . . . I would press Ctrl+Esc to pull up the process table and see what is consuming all those resources . . . also start Gkrellm and have a look if that shows any odd CPU or Memory consumption.B) Bruno

I'm a little curious about the floppy group I belong to though as I haven't got a floppy drive on this computer.

I have noticed a lot of distros do this. I do not have a floppy on any of my computers either and find that they insist on adding a floppy. I guess it is easier to do it automatically than to see if there is really one there. :)

linuxdude32
I am having trouble getting kmail to open but I have a browser open, the konsole, and KsCD is it possible not having the nVidia drivers could slow things down?

Try running kmail from the konsole and you might see an error message that will give you a clue to what is going on (or not going on).

I can open the program but when I try to setup the account it just freezes. When I try to open it through the konsole I get this error

debian:/home/rolana# kmailQPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being usedQPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being usedXlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverXlib: No protocol specifiedkded: cannot connect to X server :0.0DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-2374' to 'kded'kded: ERROR: Communication problem with kded, it probably crashed.Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverXlib: No protocol specifiedkdeinit: Can't connect to the X Server.kdeinit: Might not terminate at end of session.Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by serverXlib: No protocol specifiedkmail: cannot connect to X server :0.0ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Registering failed!ERROR: Communication problem with kmail, it probably crashed.debian:/home/rolana# Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy
I think I will try uninstall it and reinstall it and see if that helps.

linuxdude32

rolanaj,You don't want to run it as root in the konsole. Just run it as a regular user. Having said that, you can't go wrong with re-installing Kmail although it means you'll probably have to remove the entire kde-network package since I believe it's in there. You might also want to check in ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail for any configuration files that might be corrupted. There's also the configuration file ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc.

would I need to be in gnome to remove all those kde packages or can I be in Kde? I did actually open kmail in the konsole as user but it still froze when I tried to configure it

You can be in KDE as long as Kmail is not open ( and seeing you have problems opening Kmail it will be unlikely that it is open B) ) . . . I would first try to remove /home/rolana/.kde/share/config/kmailrc and kmail.eventsrc and kontactrc . . . and maybe even kaddressbookrc to see if that helps ( they will be recreated when you start kmail again )B) Bruno

Hi Bruno,I deleted /home/rolana/.kde/share/config/kmailrc and kmail.eventsrc I culdn't find kontactrc or kaddressbookrc. I reopened kmail, it opens but freezes if I try to configure it and then tells me it isn't responding and lets me close it.

With the Kmail issue a reboot let me get into configure Kmail but it says it doesn't recognize the host name for my email. I double checked in Mandrake and everything looks exactly the same and it gets my email just fine. I'll play around with it a little more and see what happensThe other question I have is I installed the vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-386 kernel, but how do I boot with it? I let Debian put it's lilo on the partition, but I don't seem to have a choice to select the 2.6 kernel it just boots really quickly. I tried to add it to the Mandriva lilo but I wasn't able to get it to work. Apparantly I can't add my nvidia drivers until I boot into the other kernel.

Hi RolanaThat Kmail issue is strange to put it mildly . . . . I have no idea why it misbehaves this way.For the Lilo entry in Mandrake for the 2.6 kernel ( and the 2.4 ) in Debian see here what I have:

image=/boot/debian/vmlinuz-2.4.27-2-386        label="Debian-Sarge-24"        root=/dev/hdb10        initrd=/boot/debian/initrd.img-2.4.27-2-386        vga=791        read-onlyimage=/boot/debian/vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-386        label="Debian-Sarge-26"        root=/dev/hdb10        initrd=/boot/debian/initrd.img-2.6.8-2-386        vga=791        read-only
As you can see, there is no appendline for the 2.6 either and if you copy the kernel and initrd to /boot/debian you only have to change the /dev/hdb10 to reflect the partition you use for it ;):'( Bruno

Ok I have

[root@localhost home]# ls /boot/debianinitrd.img-2.4.27-2-386  vmlinuz-2.4.27-2-386initrd.img-2.6.8-2-386  vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-386
Added the right section to /etc/lilo.confand I get this error
[root@localhost home]# vi /etc/lilo.conf[root@localhost home]# /sbin/liloAdded Mandriva *Added linux-nonfbAdded DebianFatal: Illegal 'root=' specification: /dev/hdb8
Is there something I am supposed to do in debian after I install the 2.6 kernel??

Is there something I am supposed to do in debian after I install the 2.6 kernel??

Nope not really . . . . . I think there is just a typo in the /etc/lilo.conf . . . can I see it:
# cat /etc/lilo.conf

B) Bruno

here it is

[root@localhost home]# cat /etc/lilo.conf# File generated by DrakX/drakboot# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this filedefault="Mandriva"boot=/dev/hdamap=/boot/mapkeytable=/boot/us.kltpromptnowarntimeout=100message=/boot/messagemenu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bwimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="Mandriva"        root=/dev/hda9        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent"        vga=788        read-onlyimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="linux-nonfb"        root=/dev/hda9        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="splash=silent acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda6"        read-onlyimage=/boot/debian/vmlinuz-2.4.27-2-386        label="Debian"        root=/dev/hda8        initrd=/boot/debian/initrd.img-2.4.27-2-386        vga=791        read-onlyimage=/boot/debian/vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-386      label="Debian-Sarge-26"      root=/dev/hdb8        initrd=/boot/debian/initrd.img-2.6.8-2-386        vga=791        read-onlyimage=/boot/mandrake/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-12mdk        label="Mandrake"        root=/dev/hda5        initrd=/boot/mandrake/initrd-2.6.8.1-12mdk.img        append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent"        vga=791        read-onlyother=/dev/hda1        label="Windows"        table=/dev/hdaimage=/boot/vmlinuz        label="failsafe"        root=/dev/hda9        initrd=/boot/initrd.img        append="failsafe splash=silent acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda6 devfs=nomount"        read-only[root@localhost home]#               

Look . . here is the typo:

image=/boot/debian/vmlinuz-2.4.27-2-386        label="Debian"        root=/dev/hda8        initrd=/boot/debian/initrd.img-2.4.27-2-386        vga=791        read-onlyimage=/boot/debian/vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-386      label="Debian-Sarge-26"      root=/dev/hdb8        initrd=/boot/debian/initrd.img-2.6.8-2-386        vga=791        read-only
B) . . . . . :PB) Bruno

B)
[root@localhost rolana]# /sbin/liloAdded Mandriva *Added linux-nonfbAdded DebianAdded Debian-Sarge-26Added MandrakeAdded WindowsAdded failsafe
I really do have to watch what I cut and paste don't I? Thanks again Bruno, time to see if I can boot into Debian. I'll be back with the update. Edited by rolanaj

rolana@debian:~$ uname -r2.6.8-2-386
It really did work B) B) We really need a happy dance smiley :D Debian seems to load a lot faster than Mandriva. Can I get more printer drivers through apt-get or synaptic. I noticed I didn't have the correct driver for it, I am able to get it to work in Mandriva though.As far as Kmail I will try it again but if it doesn't work I'm going to just get a different email program.

GREAT !!!That is good news !!Now, about printing, yep there are some packages you need to apt-get . . . . it is hidden in a thread somewhere exactly what packages you need ( I posted it myself B) ) . . . but I posted in several threads and I do not remember which one it was . . . :(I will do a search and see what I can come up with.B) Bruno

Another thing I am a little curious about it when I put in a music cd it seems to freeze my kicker panel I am unable to open the menu for a minute maybe and then once it loads up everything is fine. Would this be another driver issue?

UPDATE: found it: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...hl=apt-get+cups( there is more nice info in that thread B) )To get cups:

# apt-get cupsys# apt-get cupsys-client

Then use the KDE Control Center --> peripherals --> printer --> switch to administrator mode and add the printer ;)B) BrunoUPDATE 2: Those freeze problems you have do worry me . . . can not get the finger behind it though

I am trying to install the nvidia drivers and I get this

debian:/home/rolana# apt-get install nvidia-kernel-sourceReading Package Lists... DoneBuilding Dependency Tree... DonePackage nvidia-kernel-source is not available, but is referred to by another package.This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, oris only available from another sourceE: Package nvidia-kernel-source has no installation candidate
I was able to install nvidia-kernel-common no problem though is it possible that the nvidia kernel source is all ready there?I will add cups now seeing as you found that link and maybe I should check out that thread as well edit:had a problem with that
debian:/home/rolana# apt-get cupsysE: Invalid operation cupsysdebian:/home/rolana# apt-get cupsys-clientE: Invalid operation cupsys-client
Maybe this is another one where cut and paste wont work Edited by rolanaj