• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rolanaj

• Bruno

• teacher

• finotti

Wow . . . Adam !!! . . you are right . . . I made a typo there, changed the d and the k . . . . . . very good . . . THANKS !!:) Bruno

Well that took care of the error message, however I am only get between 277.800FPS - 314.800FPS which is a lot slower than Debian and Mandrake give me. However those gears look to be moving just as fast which seems kind of odd.

Hi Rolana . . . yep there is something funny with the numbers . . but you will see when playing Tuxracer that there is no real difference in performance ;)B) Bruno

I haven't had a chance to check tux racer yet. I am having a problem with debian, I can only boot into debian 2.4 in command mode I assume this has something to do with the nvidia drivers. Also I still get the shpchp error but debian 2.6 continues to boot and then hangs on usb and stalls there I tried to do the raising skinny elephants to reboot I got as far as alt+SysRq+e and Debian continues to load and here I am typing this from Debian. Does this mean another install?

As I'm known to do, I went against Bruno's advice and installed the 2.6.8-i386 with my install. After I had it running smoothly, I upgraded it to 2.6.8-i686. I know my Slackware installs never liked changing from 2.4 to 2.6 so I just didn't want Debian to ever need a 2.4 kernel setup. I just figure hardware support would be at it's best that way from the start.Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've ever had reliable USB. Maybe that's why I haven't been able to get my camera connected. I have a USB mouse, but Slackware forced me to use an adapter to PS/2 for it to work right. I haven't tried it as USB yet.

linuxdude32
yes it is Good idea, doesnt the UBCD have memtest on it because I have a copy of that might save me the trouble of a download.  Thanks for the suggestions I will definitely check it out.

I believe it does. It's not a very big program in any case.

I haven't had a chance to check tux racer yet.  I am having a problem with debian, I can only boot into debian 2.4 in command mode I assume this has something to do with the nvidia drivers.  Also I still get the shpchp error but debian 2.6 continues to boot and then hangs on usb and stalls there I tried to do the raising skinny elephants to reboot I got as far as alt+SysRq+e and Debian continues to load and here I am typing this from Debian.  Does this mean another install?

Sorry Rolana . . . . . somehow I missed this post . . . . ;)Well, you did the nvidia drivers for the 2.6 kernel and then changed the XF68Config-4 . . . so when you boot the 2.4 kernel it uses the same XF86Config-4 file but it has no nvidia driver so it is logic it will go wrong :( . . . Changing back the XF86Config-4 will cure this but will then make no use of the nvidia drivers in both 2.4 and 2.6 :(I don't like your 2.6 hanging on the usb . . . . . it puzzles me what is wrong with your install . . . . B) Bruno

I also didn't realize that the ctrl+SysRq+R, ctrl+SysRq+S, and ctrl+SysRq+E would make it continue booting.How do I view the booting log after I boot to see if I can find anymore errors?As far as Mandriva I got a chance to play tuxracer and also canon smash and it definitely isn't working right. Works really well in Mandrake10.1 though, don't think I tried it in debian. That seems to be the only problem in Mandriva other than the mouse pointer tends to take off on me sometimes.

I also didn't realize that the ctrl+SysRq+R, ctrl+SysRq+S, and ctrl+SysRq+E would make it continue booting.
The r stands for put keyboard in raw modeThe s for sync the diskThe e for terminate all processesI can see the first 2 do some benefit . . but the 3rd ( ?? ) if that is really what you want is the question I am asking myself . . . . . you do want to kill a process ( the blocking one ) but sure not all of them :(
How do I view the booting log after I boot to see if I can find anymore errors?
Have a look in /var/log/messages . . . . ( as root ) " cat /var/log/messages | less" and page through to the end ( might be very long :D ) ( or "tail -n 60 /var/log/messages" if the last 60 lines are enough )
the only problem in Mandriva other than the mouse pointer tends to take off on me sometimes.
What driver and "option protocol" is it using in /etc/X11/xorg.conf ??? Sometimes a small change there does wonders ;)B) Bruno

What driver and "option protocol" is it using in /etc/X11/xorg.conf ??? Sometimes a small change there does wonders wink.gif
This is what I found there
Section "InputDevice"    Identifier "Mouse1"    Driver "mouse"    Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"    Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"EndSection
I can see the first 2 do some benefit . . but the 3rd ( ?? ) if that is really what you want is the question I am asking myself . . . . . you do want to kill a process ( the blocking one ) but sure not all of them
That is what I thought and I was actually trying to reboot but it started to boot up instead I did it the second time too, debian will not even boot properly. Well now to boot into Debian to check out the boot log.

Jul 21 21:04:02 debian kernel: RAMDISK: cramfs filesystem found at block 0Jul 21 21:04:02 debian kernel: RAMDISK: Loading 4188 blocks [1 disk] into ram disk... |^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^H-^H\^H|^H/^Hdone.Jul 21 21:04:02 debian kernel: VFS: Mounted root (cramfs filesystem) readonly.Jul 21 21:04:02 debian kernel: Freeing unused kernel memory: 204k freedJul 21 21:04:02 debian kernel: vesafb: framebuffer at 0xd8000000, mapped to 0xe0824000, size 307:     
This seems to repeat rather often, not sure it means anything.

. . . .  not sure it means anything.
Is gibberish to me too . . . :D . . . . on first sight it looks like the kernel has trouble loading stuff to RAM.For the mouse in Mandriva . . . . back up your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and try if it makes any difference if you change
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
to
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Another line you can change if the above does not help is
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
to
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
( but the first option seems to have the most chance to success ):teehee: Bruno

I get things like that if I find I have a key stuck on the keyboard. Or when I am laying on a key and don't realize it while booting. :teehee:

I get things like that if I find I have a key stuck on the keyboard. Or when I am laying on a key and don't realize it while booting. smile.gif
This keyboard that came with my new computer is like the speakers that came with it, cheap, I put my old speakers on this one and I may have to switch keyboards too. I thought I would prefer the black keyboard but it gets dirty so fast it is unbelievable.I tried the first change to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf I haven't rebooted yet but my mouse hasn't disappeared on me either. I have to do the memtest that Jason suggested to rule out bad ram as well, new computer but stuff happens sometimes. Probably best to find out while the warranty is still good.

Finding out while under warantee is always good. My daughter had 2GB go bad that way and it was great to have a free replacement. <_<

I tried the first change to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf I haven't rebooted yet but my mouse hasn't disappeared on me either.

You will need to restart the Xserver for the new settings to take effect . . . . so either reboot or do Ctrl+Alt+Backspace . . . . . ;)<_< Bruno

Well watching debian boot I noticed that I was still getting that error from before

Right before that error there was another one modprobe: FATAL ERROR inserting pcichp - pcichp can't be loaded missing kernel or user mode driver pcichp.
I also noticed that it wasn't pcichp it was pciehp so I went back to the /etc/hotplug/blacklist file and changed it and the error is gone and Debian is booting just fine.Also in Debian I see my screen resolution is set to 800 x 600 with a refresh rate of 75hz in everything else it is at 1280 x780 or some such with a refresh rate of 80hz where can I adjust this?

. . .  I also noticed that it wasn't pcichp it was pciehp so I went back to the /etc/hotplug/blacklist file and changed it and the error is gone and Debian is booting just fine.

Good !! . . . . Excellent . . . Glad that one is solved ! ;)
Also in Debian I see my screen resolution is set to 800 x 600 with a refresh rate of 75hz in everything else it is at 1280 x780 or some such with a refresh rate of 80hz where can I adjust this?

Okay . . . please show me:
# tail -n 42 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

And I will tell you what to change ;):hysterical: Bruno

Ok here it is

debian:/home/rolana# tail -n 42 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4Section "Screen"        Identifier      "Default Screen"        Device          "Generic Video Card"        Monitor        "Generic Monitor"        DefaultDepth    24        SubSection "Display"                Depth          1                Modes          "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSection        SubSection "Display"                Depth          4                Modes          "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSection        SubSection "Display"                Depth          8                Modes          "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSection        SubSection "Display"                Depth          15                Modes          "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSection        SubSection "Display"                Depth          16                Modes          "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSection        SubSection "Display"                Depth          24                Modes          "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSectionEndSectionSection "ServerLayout"        Identifier      "Default Layout"        Screen          "Default Screen"        InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"        InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"        InputDevice    "Generic Mouse"EndSectionSection "DRI"        Mode    0666EndSectiondebian:/home/rolana#                                                   

Hi RolanaHere are the changes ( in RED ;) )

Section "Screen"        Identifier      "Default Screen"        Device          "Generic Video Card"        Monitor        "Generic Monitor"        DefaultDepth    16        SubSection "Display"                Depth          1                Modes          "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSection        SubSection "Display"                Depth          4                Modes          "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSection        SubSection "Display"                Depth          8                Modes          "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSection        SubSection "Display"                Depth          15                Modes          "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSection        SubSection "Display"                Depth          16                Modes          "1280 x780" "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSection        SubSection "Display"                Depth          24                Modes          "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSectionEndSection
You will have to restart the Xserver to apply the settings after the edit ;):hysterical: Bruno

Ok I made the changes but according to my screen size and rotate program they are still the same there also doesn't seem to be any way to change them.

You mean your resolution after the restart of the Xserver ( ctrl+alt+backspace ) is NOT 1280 x780 ??? Try a reboot . . . ;) Bruno

I rebooted totally and still it is no different. I had trouble again booting into debian there was another error about shpchp not being able to load so I added it to the blacklist and was able to boot into debian but still the resolution is set to 800 X 600. I am beginning to think that Debian does not like my system ;) I had the forum open and was unline and couldn't get the start menu to open I was able to post to the forum and read other posts but the menu seemed to freeze which is what it has been doing on and off.

I am beginning to think that Debian does not like my system :hysterical: 

I can not help getting that impression too . . . . . Just to be sure the edit you made is still there . . . can you maybe show again:
# tail -n 42 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

;) Bruno

debian:/home/rolana# tail -n 42 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4Section "Screen"        Identifier      "Default Screen"        Device          "Generic Video Card"        Monitor        "Generic Monitor"        DefaultDepth    16        SubSection "Display"                Depth          1                Modes          "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSection        SubSection "Display"                Depth          4                Modes          "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSection        SubSection "Display"                Depth          8                Modes          "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSection        SubSection "Display"                Depth          15                Modes          "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSection        SubSection "Display"                Depth          16                Modes          "1280x780" "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSection        SubSection "Display"                Depth          24                Modes          "800x600" "640x480"        EndSubSectionEndSectionSection "ServerLayout"        Identifier      "Default Layout"        Screen          "Default Screen"        InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"        InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"        InputDevice    "Generic Mouse"EndSectionSection "DRI"        Mode    0666EndSectiondebian:/home/rolana#   
Looks like the change is still there but something else is kind of strange I changed the icon for Konsole to the konsole icon instead of the gear or whatever and it is back to a gear. I've done this twice now.

Sorry . . . I only see this now . . . . are you 100% sure about that 1280x780 ??? . . should that not be 1024x768 ??? ( I have a long list of screenresolutions but the one you gave is not in the list ;) ):hysterical: Bruno

Sorry I wasn't at all sure about the screen resolution tried to get it by memory and mine obviously isn't great :) let me try fixing it the right way.