I got it! I got it! I got it! I got it! I got it!

Duece On Eight

Duece On Eight
Deuce..That guy, I am afraid, either did not know what he was talking about, or else he was blowing smoke. Having an external modem for dialup will pose zero performance loss to your system. Actually, it will perform slightly faster, as all the control of the modem itself takes place on themodem. This frees up CPU cycles to do other things. I could go into a detailed explanation, but it could get quite boring. ;)I can tell you I know what I am talking about, because this is part of what I do at work. :DAdam

Adam:Please if you don't mind:
Adam said: I could go into a detailed explanation, but it could get quite boring.
I don't think this will be boring to me anyway, if you have the time please explain it to me, I would be more than happy to understand it. :D

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Duece On Eight

• Bruno

• ross549

• BarryB

This should do the same as you said before: To be able to use on what ever distro or flavor of Linux?
100% correct :) . . . and without manually installing drivers because the distro will set them up automatically for you without your intervention.( Only in Windows you will need to install the drivers maually :D )B) Bruno

Duece On Eight
100% correct B) . . . and without manually installing drivers because the distro will set them up automatically for you without your intervention.( Only in Windows you will need to install the drivers maually :) )B) Bruno

Alright then I'll tell em to get this one so I can finally start using "ATL". Enough of Windows already, jeezzzzzzzzzzz :D

Adam:Please if you don't mind:  I don't think this will be boring to me anyway, if you have the time please explain it to me, I would be more than happy to understand it. >_<

When you have an externally connected modem, all the processing for the modulation (creation of the audio ton going to the phone line), demodulation (changing the received audio back into digital signal), and control processing (managing the modem and all its functions), take place on the modem itself. This must happen because the serial port on the back of the computer is a dumb interface- it merely provides a path for data onto the motherboard where it can be used.When you have a PCI or ISA connected modem, the temptation for the bean-counters (at the company that makes the modem) is very strong to reduce features to save costs. They also reduce the card to the bare minimum, and offload most of the control processing (and modulation/demodulation in winmodems) to the processor of the computer it resides in. This slows performance in the long haul. Also, the performance of the modem will not be as good as it could be, because Windows is doing all the work, and we all know how stable windows is. :w00t: All these concerns aside, let us assume that we have one external serial modem connected, and one connected to the PCI slot in the case of the computer. Let us also assume that the PCI modem has all of its processing functions onboard, so it only requires the most basic of signals (like the external one) to control it. Which would perform better? Let us look at each setup.....External modem:1. Dialup connection: 56Kbits/sec, or 56,000 (actually 53,000) connection from the modem to the internet is the fastest you will ever see.2. Connection from the modem to the serial port: 115,000Kbits/sec or 115,000 is the max speed the modem will talk to the computer.3. Serial port to PCI bus: 133MBytes/sec, or 133,000,000 Bytes per second is that max speed of regular PCI (32bit 1.2 spec).Internal modem:1. Dialup connection: 56Kbits/sec, or 56,000 (actually 53,000) connection from the modem to the internet is the fastest you will ever see.2. Serial port to PCI bus: 133MBytes/sec, or 133,000,000 Bytes per second is that max speed of regular PCI (32bit 1.2 spec).Now, in each of these two cases, what is the bottleneck? It is the connection from the modem to the Internet! The serial connection will never slow it down, nor will having an internal PCI modem make it any faster.The bottom line is this: the modem manufacturers will usually cut costs to make those internal modems cheaper, if possible, and that sacrifices performance.Is that good enough? B)

Duece On Eight
When you have an externally connected modem, all the processing for the modulation (creation of the audio ton going to the phone line), demodulation (changing the received audio back into digital signal), and control processing (managing the modem and all its functions), take place on the modem itself. This must happen because the serial port on the back of the computer is a dumb interface- it merely provides a path for data onto the motherboard where it can be used.When you have a PCI or ISA connected modem, the temptation for the bean-counters (at the company that makes the modem) is very strong to reduce features to save costs. They also reduce the card to the bare minimum, and offload most of the control processing (and modulation/demodulation in winmodems) to the processor of the computer it resides in. This slows performance in the long haul. Also, the performance of the modem will not be as good as it could be, because Windows is doing all the work, and we all know how stable windows is.  :w00t: All these concerns aside, let us assume that we have one external serial modem connected, and one connected to the PCI slot in the case of the computer. Let us also assume that the PCI modem has all of its processing functionsf onboard, so it only requires the most basic of signals (like the external onfe) to control it. Which would perform better? Let us look at each setup.....External modem:1. Dialup connection: 56Kbits/sec, or 56,000 (actually 53,000) connection from the modem to the internet is the fastest you will ever see.2. Connection from the modem to the serial port: 115,000Kbits/sec or 115,000 is the max speed the modem will talk to the computer.3. Serial port to PCI bus: 133MBytes/sec, or 133,000,000 Bytes per second is that max speed of regular PCI (32bit 1.2 spec).Internal modem:1. Dialup connection: 56Kbits/sec, or 56,000 (actually 53,000) connection from the modem to the internet is the fastest you will ever see.2. Serial port to PCI bus: 133MBytes/sec, or 133,000,000 Bytes per second is that max speed of regular PCI (32bit 1.2 spec).Now, in each of these two cases, what is the bottleneck? It is the connection from the modem to the Internet! The serial connection will never slow it down, nor will having an internal PCI modem make it any faster.The bottom line is this: the modem manufacturers will usually cut costs to make those internal modems cheaper, if possible, and that sacrifices performance.Is that good enough? B)

Good insight Ross except for the "bottleneck". It seems as though with the internal modem as you explained above is doing the same thing except for the processing in which the internal modem is relying totally on the processor, whereas with the external modem instead of the processor doing all the work the external modem is processing through itself and the serial port, sound like I got it? Or no cigar here? Also what would be the best external modem to have in my case(excluding $ now)?Now seeing I am using a "Lucent Win Modem" (internal) I have it set instead of 115200 I set it to 230400, now will this change anything or will it just go to the default that the modem can operate on which would be as you say the max: 115200? >_<

Good insight Ross except for the "bottleneck". It seems as though with the internal modem as you explained above is doing the same thing except for the processing in which the internal modem is relying totally on the processor, whereas with the external modem instead of the processor doing all the work the external modem is processing through itself and the serial port, sound like I got it?  Or no cigar here?  Also what would be the best external modem to have in my case(excluding $ now)?Now seeing I am using a "Lucent Win Modem" (internal) I have it set instead of 115200 I set it to 230400, now will this change anything or will it just go to the default that the modem can operate on which would be as you say the max: 115200? ;)

Close! ;)The bottlenect will always be the slowest link in the chain, which, in this case, is the modem's link to your ISP, which will NOT go any faster than 53,000bit/sec.Now, some internal modem are "hardware based" in which most of the modem's processing takes place on the modem itself, but the one modem that comes to mind (A US Robtics one) does not work in linux. I bought one of the modems that Bruno initially linked you to, for my sister, and it works great for them. Most external modems will perform pretty much the same. IMO, it is not worth the money to spend the extra 80 bucks for that last bit of extra performance.That setting for you internal modem is pointless. I mentioned that the max speed for the modem to PCI link will be 133MBytes/sec, so whatever the driver is set at is pointless. As long as you keep it above 56,000, you will not slow the modem down.Clear as mud, right? :PAdam

Duece On Eight
Close! ;)The bottlenect will always be the slowest link in the chain, which, in this case, is the modem's link to your ISP, which will NOT go any faster than 53,000bit/sec.Now, some internal modem are "hardware based" in which most of the modem's processing takes place on the modem itself, but the one modem that comes to mind (A US Robtics one) does not work in linux. I bought one of the modems that Bruno initially linked you to, for my sister, and it works great for them. Most external modems will perform pretty much the same. IMO, it is not worth the money to spend the extra 80 bucks for that last bit of extra performance.That setting for you internal modem is pointless. I mentioned that the max speed for the modem to PCI link will be 133MBytes/sec, so whatever the driver is set at is pointless. As long as you keep it above 56,000, you will not slow the modem down.Clear as mud, right? :PAdam

I see Captain, I see! Thxs for the lesson, so any pretty much will do the job correct? Bruno says the "CenDyne" one is sufficient and economical. But aren't some of these external serial modems just a bit different, I mean some of the spec's on them are different, is there an all-around one that will connect all Linux flavors and WindowsXP that has that extra umf without having to spend over $30.00 or so? :">

I see Captain, I see! Thxs for the lesson, so any pretty much will do the job correct? Bruno says the "CenDyne" one is sufficient and economical. But aren't some of these external serial modems just a bit different, I mean some of the spec's on them are different, is there an all-around one that will connect all Linux flavors and WindowsXP that has that extra umf without having to spend over $30.00 or so? :">

My sister has a CenDyne modem.... works great. ;)

• 3 months later...