I got it! I got it! I got it! I got it! I got it!

Duece On Eight

Duece On Eight

Well I did it "ATL" is on! But I may not be out of the woods yet:After I booted-up the linux boot screen came up and gives the choices to pic, I of course chose the windows on c: and right after I did that what jumps up on the screen is "HP recovery". So now I had a choice either to do a full recovery or use the windows xp restore point feature. In this case it is to my advantage to use the windows restore feature, which I did and now am typing to you. But I don't know now when I shut her down and start up again if I will have to forever be restoring windows over and over in order to get online to communicate with you further. If I can get on again in a few minutes I can let you know whether it is fixed or as I said above will forever have to restore each time I want to access windows.I hope not because on ATL I cannot yet get online and need next to configure that feature in case I cannot use windows or have to take all those steps again to enable windows to boot-up to use. Do you have any idea why HP restore came up? I did exactly as you put in the thread and ATLinux did as you stated without any problems. So let me know something if you have any idea about this strange recovery I had to do, please! I will remain online for a few but then if someone can't answer me I will then try the re-boot and pick "ATL" then afterwords try to re-boot to "Windows" and see if that recovery program comes back to haunt me again. Duece

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Duece On Eight

• Bruno

• ross549

• BarryB

Hi DeuceI honestly have no idea why the HP recovery came up . . . . . This is the first time I hear about it . . . . . I hope Linux is still there . . . .I suspect that the bootsector will be overwritten by Windows again and you will have no option to boot Linux . . . I think booting Win will however be no problem . . so reboot and let us see what it gives . . . :'(;) Bruno

Hi DueceI googled . . and know what the problem is . . . . . .lilo thinks hda1 is bootable where it is hda2 . . . hda1 is the recovery partition hda2 is the C: drive . . . . and you can not boot from hda1 !The problem here is that your Linux knowledge is such that letting you edit the bootfile while you are not connected to the net and so have no way to get feedback is sheer impossible . . . . . We will have to do a few exercises in Linux to get you comfortable with editing files and giving commands . . . then we should be able to try this adventure again . . . format --> re-install --> boot Linux --> edit files --> write to the MBR . . ;) Bruno

Duece On Eight

Now using my run box (on Windows, where you run msconfig, regedit, and so on) I now have this included along with msconfig, and regedit:rundll32 setupapi, InstallHinfSection BI.C Remove 128%SystemRoot%\INF\msmsgs.inf It wasn't there before so I can't make heads or tails out of it, whether it should go or leave it. Now this is what happened, ATL finished and afterwards when re-booting the ATL window came up with the option to boot either ATL, Win C:, OR Rec D:. I chose of course the Win C: which is the window's operating system on C: Drive. Now once I clicked that immediately HP recovery took over and gave me the option to either do a recovery or use the windows restore point feature, so I chose the windows restore point, afterwards windows did boot up, after I had to restore it back a day ago. At this time ATL cannot be located on C: Drive because windows cannot see it.That's why I said earlier about the E: Drive, if I am not mistaken if you are to install another OS you should do it on another Drive not on the default OS's Drive which is what we have going on now on my PC. If we would have installed it to E: Drive I don't think after rebooting that any conflict would occur, because windows is installed on C: Drive and so ATL would have been on an entirely different Drive, that being E: Drive.As you say windows did overwrite the Linux bootsector because there isn't that option now to boot up ATL anymore like in the beginnning. Plus the swap and the entire ATL is still on C: Drive but windows can't read it. So now does my analagy of creating another Drive make any sense to you or would we still be doing the entire installation again on C: Drive? I really think that anyother OS should be installed on its own Drive so as to not interfere with the default OS.So now what do I do now? ATL is floating around somewhere on C: Drive taking up almost 4gb's of space. I think we should look at that possibility of installation on an entirely different Drive than the on the same Drive that windows is on, maybe that could make the difference in booting up. Also I have never changed my booting sequence it is the default what ever order that may be, I didn't go into my setup to alter that because I wasn't sure we would be doing the install that quickly.But now more than ever I need to understand why HP recovery went on. I could disable it but thats iffy, if I ever needed it let's say if this whole scenario happpen's again I would really be up the creek without paddle's. Is there some way you can write it for me or do you have to have hands on in order to do it? Think about that E: Drive I don't know for sure but it keeps staying in my head for some reason. Could be that's the way it should have been, I don't know for sure.It's not hurting anything now anyway, I am still able to get on windows and get online but I would like to remedy the problem one way or the other. Either delete it or re-install it using the right hda, and if so the proper Drive and then perhaps we will have something out of all this.

Hi DueceNope I think you analogy is not correct . . . look at my post just above yours . . . . the Linux bootloader thinks that hda1 is the Windows partition where it actually is hda2 ( look at the sizes !! )Now you say that the bootloader also give you the option to boot D: . . and I think that is what you should have done because that is the big Win partition where xp lives . . . Linux thinks the recoverry is C and XP is D. ( so if you boot Win-C you actually boot the recovery partition )Just try the install of Linux again . . exactly the same as you did before . . but then boot Win-D . . . and I am 99% sure it will work ;)Glad you are online again :DB) BrunoPS: I googled for this and it seems that HP has caused more of these problems with linux installs . . . . and what I write above is the solution :P

• 2 weeks later...
Duece On Eight

Hey Bruno, Well from your last email I did do the "mousedrake" and now I'm able to use my digital mouse when booting to ATL. And now for the next problem, the modem. I already put on my "Actiontec" modem, only thing is when ever usiing Windows my connection speed is only 14kb when with the Lucent winmodem it's 28kb. So I have both installed. Whenever I need to use Windows I have the Lucent on hand in which to use whenever I need to get online. Now the modem says it supports dos and all that stuff, and is an external modem, but thats a bout it. So today to configure a modem that will get me online using Linux?Ok then, is there a modem that will work with the "ATL" and once I find it how do I get it onto "ATL" and how do I configure it once there? Still the hardrive continues to run while using "ATL", haven't figured why so I need a fix for that to thxs everyone in advance, Waiting on the info, Duece :P

Duece On Eight

Needed to add this also: while using the 'Actiontec' modem in Windows I am only getting 14kbs as a connection, while using the 'Lucent Winmodem' I would always get an easy 28kbs for online connection. So if I have to enable the 'Actiontec' before I boot-up into 'ATL' there will obviously be alot of converting modems going on all the time between the 2-OS's. :P

Hi DueceSo it looks like we already solved a good number of things:1). The bootmanager Lilo ( adapted to show only Windows and Linux and not the "recovery partition" )2). The activation of the swap partition3). Gkrellm that showed that CPU activity and memory use are normal and HD activity is only minimal but still a point to look at later.4). The config of the USB-mouseAnd indeed it is about time we started looking at the modem and internet connection.Here is what I want you to do:Fist boot with the Lucent modem and go in the Master Control Center --> Network and Internet --> new Connection, it is an easy wizard . . have a look if it recognizes your modem . . . if not: stop the action and reboot . . this time with the Actiontec modem on a com port and try the same.Then report back to me what the story is.That Actiontec modem seems to be a pretty old one if it only gives 28kbs . . . you might consider to buy yourself a new modem ( Linux compatible ) they come at around $20 and that will set you up also for other distros you might want to venture :yes::blink: Bruno

Duece On Eight

Beaut of a week for me!..... Attention Bruno:Had used this external modem for ATL and may or not have been the modem at all, probably my configuring, but unfortunately had to end up doing a complete Destructive Recovery, so at the moment I am getting things organized, and will have ATL back up in a few, (thank GOD I saved all those notes on installing it).Although honestly, Windows has never worked better right now. I need to research or find out what kind of modem will work for both OS's. The techs at Actiontec said that modem would work with any Linux OS. So I guess this next time Bruno let's try an resolve that issue and the continuous running of my hardrive.Just a quick note to let you'all know, I am still vigilant as ever about using Linux, perhaps more so now then before. To many vulnerabilities with Windows. So any comments about a sure fix for these little trifile's? I mean trying to connect to my IP was like running and dodging bullets, I got hit with as many as 10 to 12 trojans, and virus's while trying to connect after the recovery.With my IP you cannot have your firewall on, so while your downloading their tools for connection, your completely vulnerable to this kind of attack. So commrads lets ban together and instruct with complete confidence against having to abort Linux for Windows shall we? Bruno your mediating was superb without question, so don't read into this the way it sounds, all I'm saying is this time let's get me online using ATL.On the brighter side, this weekend coming I will be celebrating my "52" birthday God willing, feel it: but mentally am confident as the rising of the sun. Running now for 39 hours straight :P

Hi DueceWell if the Actiontec modem is Linux compatible . . . you should be able to configure it even while running ATL-Live . . . . if it does not get recognized by the MCC you can tell the tech-folks at Actiontec that they are mistaken in their assumption :P . . . and I would ask a real Linux compatible modem for your 52th birthday.Because sure we want you to have a good connection to the net in Linux . . . because trojans and virus's will no longer be an issue there !:P Bruno

Duece On Eight

Bruno:I'm hoping those instructions you first gave will do the trick on my attempt at installing ATL again. Except this time I don't have any other partitions except C:, D:, A:, F:, that's it. So ATL should be able to partition itself on the free space located on C:, where WindowsXP OS is located also. I will try it as soon as I finish this note.I have all the instructions saved and written down, so if you happen to be online and see this if I should wait for some reason let me know. I will remain online for approx 10 minutes and check back here for a response, if no response then I'm diving in tonight. :blink:

I'm confused here, don't you all ready have partitions for linux on your hard drive? Windows won't be able to see them at all you need linux to do that. You should be able to install to the same place. Was the ATL install trashed totally or do you just have to fix your bootloader?

Hi Duece . . . . Like Rolana says Windows can not see your Linux partitions . . so this part you are writing "I don't have any other partitions except C:, D:, A:, F:" does worry me a bit.I hope when re-installing ATL you did see the Linux partitions ATL was installed on before and that you took exactly the same ones ;):D Bruno

Duece On Eight
Hi Duece . . . . Like Rolana says Windows can not see your Linux partitions . . so this part you are writing "I don't have any other partitions except C:, D:, A:, F:"  does worry me a bit.I hope when re-installing ATL you did see the Linux partitions ATL was installed on before and that you took exactly the same ones ;):) Bruno

Bruno and Rolana:Well I had to do a "Destructive Recovery" which means that everything I did including the ATL is gone, at least that's what I think: on boot-up there is no more PClinuxOS, where I once had the choice to boot to either it or Windows XP, now it just boots up into windows. The "Destructive Recovery" comes with my system (HP) and when using this option it removes the users data and applications I put on during the last recovery. I saved my applications on a cd so I could use them again after the recovery, which works out good. But I don't think the ATL is there anymore, it I believe reformats the hardrive so it's possible that it isn't there any longer. But if I was to install with the livecd again wouldn't I be doing the same thing all over. I mean it was ATL that made the partitions isn't it? Well if someone is on again tonight and see's this give me some feedback, maybe there is something I can do to detect if it's on or off. I have an idea, let me check with AIDA32......... Ok after reviewing with AIDA32 Linux is still there swap and all.Now how do I access it? :D

....... Ok after reviewing with AIDA32 Linux is still there swap and all.Now how do I access it? :D

Just re-install it on the same partitions . . . . the ATL installer will know where the partitions are and default to it :D . . . . . . after the install ( and the bootloader in the MBR just go trough the edit of Lilo like we did earlier in this thread so the "recovery-partition does not appear as a boot option :) )B) Bruno

DueceIs that ADIA/Belarc a rhetorical question? They answer is they are written differently and designed to show different things in some areas.Have you installed linux yet? or just partitioned?

Duece On Eight
Just re-install it on the same partitions . . . . the  ATL installer will know where the partitions are and default to it :D . . . . . . after the install ( and the bootloader in the MBR just go trough the edit of Lilo like we did earlier in this thread so the "recovery-partition does not appear as a boot option :) )B) Bruno

Bruno: No go.......After signing in root with "linux" as the password I went to the Master Control Center and saw everything as it was already as before, the swap and the Journalized FS ReiserFS where they are supposed to be:...hda1 and hda2 are windows...hda5>Swap.......hda6> Journalized FS ReiserFS....I didn't do anything there, and went to the konsole and typed in "su" and the same command came up as the first....no prompting for a password, I went ahead and typed in "linux" and it returned with something bash. After I saw that I decided to stop and get online to post the results. I was under the assumption when on ATL all I had to do was start the install from the konsole after checking out first from the Master Control Center that everything was there. As I said after that I just went into konsole and typed the "su" and no prompting for any password. I probably didn't do something again. Was I supposed to unmount those hda's? I didn't think I was so I didn't. So now, I need a quick update on the configuring side of things again. Remember you said that you usually did the install from the "user" and not the "root". Waiting around patiently...... :D

Duece On Eight
DueceLog in as a user, then do the su...then follow bruno's install directions

Barry:Will give it a try right after this download. Also I thought the first time was to install it under signing in on the root. Oh well bb soon with the results...if not you assumed correctly either I'm sleeping or my PC is (crashed)! Thxs for the help. :D

DueceIf your sign on as root...just open a terminal and do the hd-install...no need to do the su (su takes you to root, basically, from a user..that why it ask for a password)if your log in as root you are in su (basically) and that's why it didn't ask you for a password..

Yep . . . . we only log in as "root" in extreme cases . . not for an HD install :D . . So Do as barry says and type: "livecd-install" . . . . and don't forget that this time you have to format that partition ;):lol: Bruno

Duece On Eight
Yep . . . . we only log in as "root" in extreme cases . . not for an HD install :shifty: . . So Do as barry says and type: "livecd-install" . . . . and don't forget that this time you have to format that partition ;):D Bruno

Attention: Don't mean to be a putzhead again, but am I doing the install from the root or the user? And Bruno could you go over that "this time you have to format that partition part again" please. If my memory serves me well, didn't you have me do the install while logged on as the root the first time? And please once again explain "the part about formatting that partition. Why do I have to format and what partition is it that needs to be formated, I guess I'm being dense today. ;)

Well . . you log in as "Highlander" . . . then open a terminal and do "su" and give the root-password ( linux ) . . . then you start the install by typing "livecd-install"On the second screen . . where it selects the partitions you leace the box "format" checked . . . . . because there is already data on that partition and the format removes the data before writing new data to it . . . . ;) . . . Easy as pie :thumbsup::shifty: Bruno

Duece On Eight
Well . . you log in as "Highlander" . . . then open a terminal and do "su" and give the root-password ( linux )  . . . then you start the install by typing "livecd-install"On the second screen  . . where it selects the partitions you leace the box "format" checked . . . . . because there is already data on that partition and the format removes the data before writing new data to it . . . . :D . . . Easy as pie :thumbsup::D Bruno

OK:The terminal: The Master Control Center...or...Konsole? Learning this seems to be a snap for the those who use linux everyday, while we window users have to ask sometimes a few extra time's to make sure. So when opening up a terminal you mean a "konsole"? When opening up the "Master Control Center" you mean "configuration"?On the second screen where it selects the partitions you leave the box "format" checked to remove the data that is already on both the swap and the Journalized FS? Then "Easy as pie"! :shifty: . Btw can I also do the setting of the "Mousedrake" for the digital mouse then? And do the lilo also at that time?......... ;) Edited by Duece On Eight

Duece On Eight......When we refer to a terminal.... we mean pretty much any program that gives you access to the linux command line. Konsole is the one used most often while in the KDE window manager. ;) There are literally dozens of other ones, though......

Duece On Eight
Duece On Eight......When we refer to a terminal.... we mean pretty much any program that gives you access to the linux command line. Konsole is the one used most often while in the KDE window manager. :shifty: There are literally dozens of other ones, though......

Ross: Literally dozens heh? Oh me! ;) What about the rest of my question, as far as the checking both for the swap and Journalized FS, and the possibility of setting mousedrake for my digital mouse and doing the lilo thing Bruno referred to for ridding the extra D: drive in the oringinal configuration so that on boot-up all that should show is PCLinuxOS and Windows only? (The D: drive is for my backup on windows for recovery)......

On the second screen where it selects the partitions you leave the box "format" checked to remove the data that is already on both the swap and the Journalized FS? Then "Easy as pie"! :shifty: . Btw can I also do the setting of the "Mousedrake" for the digital mouse then? And do the lilo also at that time?......... ;)

1. Yes, leave the boxes checked.....2. I would get this set first, before you start the install.3. I would worry about customizinf LILO until after you finish the install.Does that work? :D