I got it! I got it! I got it! I got it! I got it!

Duece On Eight

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Duece On Eight

• Bruno

• ross549

• BarryB

Yep . . .the resizing is just a test to see it it has no hidden parts on it . . . :) . . try to resize it back to zero or almost zero.B) BrunoDUECE: I forgot . . you first have to unmount that partition . . press the unmount button first . . then resize( The Live CD always mounts those partitions .. .I forgot about that . . so unmount first the one you want to work with )

Did you see the remark i added later ?

DUECE: I forgot . . you first have to unmount that partition . . press the unmount button first . . then resize( The Live CD always mounts those partitions .. .I forgot about that . . so unmount first the one you want to work with )
:) Bruno

Duece On Eight

DUECE: I forgot . . you first have to unmount that partition . . press the unmount button first . . then resizeYes that's why I came back didn't see any resize button. Glad I didn't do anything. Now once I click unmount then I should see a resize button? If not what else would it be called and then I am supposed to resize it to "Zero" correct?

Duece . . sorry it is getting too late for me . . it is way past midnight . . . . we will continue tomorrow.Please don't take any action before I get back online :) !!!B) Bruno

Duece On Eight

I was going to say if you could send me the info in a email and be real specific, I would be able to get it. I clicked resize and nothing popped up, looked for some kind of a delete button and didn't find any. Hate to do this 2 you but I really need for you to be really specific when giving instructions here. What button would delete this? :">

Hi DueceIf you press the "Resize" button it has to scan the parition for date . . move the data and calculate what the possible sizes are . . . that takes time.Also if there is no "Delete" button under the "Resize" button that is a sign that something is suspect and that maybe you should not delete it . . . We will have to see tomorrow . . . and yes there are others that maybe could help . . but I would like to make 100% sure you can still boot XP after we are done ;)About being specific . . . I am as specific as anywhere possible my friend ! . . Just be patient . . . :"> Bruno

Duece On Eight

Well I did try to resize it but it would only resize it to around 1010mb so I unmounted it and the blue graph disapeared after which I clicked delete so now there is no "E: drive" anymore I hope I did good here?Well now the test seems to indicate that while using the cd that it just abolished the E: drive as I checked it after booting onto Windows and now the E: drive is not there anymore, but what's interesting is I didn't pick up the extra space on C: or D: drive, so I hope I haven't lost this valuable space. I know I do sometime's get impatient forgive me my excitement overwhelms me at this point. Just anticipating using Linux now really give's me rushes literally. As for what just happen I hope I didn't mess things up now. I was surprised that the live cd would be capable of doing that, guess Linux is really more powerfull than Windows heh? As I said earlier if it wasn't for the cd I wouldn't have had any way to have gotten back on Windows in the firs place.So if anyone that is capable as "Bruno" would like to continue with what's next I'm ready, willing, and able!! :">

Edited by Duece On Eight

GREAT !! Looks like we are on the right track here !Now, the next step is to make 2 partitions . .. a real small "swap" partition of 500 MB and the rest is the actual Linux partition.NOTE: In Linux we do not call the drives or partitions C:, D: and E: . . but hda1, hda2 etc.etc. ;)Here is the situation now:|-----hda1------||----------------hda2---------------------||--------empty-------|Now I want you to click on the empty partition and you will get in the left panel only one button that says "Create" . . . you press that button and a window will pop up with a slider . . . put the slider at 500 MB ! Then Just under the slider there is a combobox . . change the text in that box FROM "linux native" to "swap" . . . That is all the first partition is made :D ( It will be called hda5 )Now for the second partition you click on what is left of the empty partition and press "Create" again . . . then you put the slider totally to the right so it takes the full rest of the space available. In the combobox you change from "Linux Native" to "Journalled FS ReiserFS" <<-- Important !!!! . . . . . . After that there is only one last step to be done . . . still on the same partition ( now called hda6 ) you press the "Format" button . . . . after that you are done and can reboot to see if all is still okay on the Windows site ;)When you are done it will look like this:|-----hda1------||----------------hda2---------------------||-hda5-||----hda6---|Now hda1 and hda2 will be Blue . . hda5 will be Green . . hda6 will be RedB) BrunoPS: I will pick up the thread as I come home from work ;) . . . . . And then we will do the install :">** We are this careful because you can very easily do enormous dammage to your computer in a few seconds.

Duece On Eight

Bruno shouldn't I make the partition alot bigger than 500mb's? I originally had close to 4gb. Just want to know in case I put on Mandrake that will take awhole lot more than 500mb's right?

Duece On Eight
:) Ok Bruno so far so good, it looks just like your diagram of colors, except that they are square in size. I really appreciate it this so much, you just don't know. Windows obviously is up or I wouldn't be here typing.Eventually on ATL I will have to change the password won't I? There must be around 8 or 9 hours difference between Amsterdam and the US? Here it is 7:30am Thurs the 17th. I have been up all night anticipating this, ha! It worked like a dream, can't believe it yet. Don't want to get to carried away in case something should go gobroke. I have confidence in Linux it is a very intelligent operating sysem, I am quite impressed over all of this. Tell me something on Linux can you get just as good graphics? I know they don't make Windowblinds for Linux but I think there is some software out that does the same thing as Windowblinds does for Windows.Well now I feel like I have sucessfully finished some surgery here. Alot of folks would think this guy is out of it, but there is a thrill to it all, otherwise why go through all the bother? You have to enjoy this in order to retrieve some eurphorical sensations. Ok now, I am off now but I will be back that you can count on Bruno :w00t: Could the surgeon do what he does if it weren't for the entire team?, You and all the members here are the entire team Bruno

Bruno shouldn't I make the partition alot bigger than 500mb's? I originally had close to 4gb. Just want to know in case I put on Mandrake that will take awhole lot more than 500mb's right?

The way I read Brunos post is:
Now, the next step is to make 2 partitions . .. a real small "swap" partition of 500 MB and the rest is the actual Linux partition.
In your case 500MB is fine for a swap partition.

Hi DueceJust to clarify once more:|-----hda1------||----------------hda2---------------------||-hda5-||----hda6---|The Blue part is Windows . . . we forget about that part from now on :PThe Green part ( hda5 ) is the "swap" and should be no more then 500 MB The Red part ( hda6 ) is the actual Linux partition where we do the install and should be about 3.4 GB in size.Is this what you have now ?? . . . . I have the next instructions ( for the install ) typed out but first want to make sure the partitions are like here above ;):) BrunoIf you want to see how cool Linux can look like . . have a look in our screenshot thread:http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=10933

Duece On Eight

Bruno:I have that configuration: blue-windows, green-linux-swap, red-linux-os all as you have as far as dimensions (mb's)and (gb's). But remember that E:drive? It is gone and where this installation is going to take place at is on my C: drive. Here's a screenshot using AIDA32 of my drive's and partitions:This is all my logical drivesiviewcapturedate18032005time01.pngHere is all my physical drives:iviewcapturedate18032005time01.pngAbove remember E:drive (it was a local drive I had made for Linux) you don't see it anymore because it's gone, in actuality it's room is on C: drive now. Follow? So now if were to install ATL now it will be on the local C: disk (or drive). Is this what you were shooting for? Just want to make sure at this point, being the jr here I thought I was supposed to have the additional local E: drive for other OS's.Have a look at those screenshots and see that the second one show's the linux swap and linux but not on a drive yet. Once we install it will most likely show up on C: drive right? Then does it make a difference to have an additional E: drive or is it better to install on the default OS drive in this case the default OS is Windows located on C: drive which is where I have the rest of my available space. A drive is my floppy drive, C drive is the default OS drive for windows, D drive is my HP-windows-xp recovery drive, F drive is my cd-rom drive, and E drive would have been the drive I thought we would have installed 'ATLinux" on? Like you said this part coming up is the critical one, so have a look for me. DuecePS: I originally had a thumbnail but I thought this is really more data than anything else so I would save you the time of the load on ImageShack.

Edited by Duece On Eight

Hi Duece ( PART 1 )LOL . . . No worries . . . all looks 100% . . . . You know what it is ? Windows normally can not see the Linux partitions . . . so that is why E: is gone . . . ( Linux however is well able to see the Windows partitions . . . because Linux is far more clever :rolleyes: )See, if you ( in your first screenshot ) add the % from C: and D: then you get 59% + 17% = 76% . . . . . and the other 24% is invisible for Windows . . ( Sure Aida can see them . . but any other Win program or OS can't )So all is set for the install . . . . read the next post and tell me if you have questions before you start ;)B) BrunoPS: I linked the screenshots because they were to "big" according to the "forum-rules" ;)

Hi Deuce ( PART 2 )>> . . . Maybe you better print this out so you have a lead during the install . . . <<Now we start the install . . . go to the Start Menu --> Terminals --> Konsole . . . . and you will get a "Dos-like" window where you can type commands.Then type "su" and when asked for the password type "linux" . . . next type "livecd-install" and hit Enterscreen1.jpgA GUI from the installer will pop up . . on the first screen you only hit the "Next"button:screen2.jpgThe next screen you will see this:screen3.jpgUN-check the little box that says "Format" and put the combobox ( for the Root (/) Device ) on /dev/hda6 <<----DOUBLE CHECK if that is correctly set !!!The second box for the "Swap Device" will already be correctly set to hda5 ( if not, stop here and tell me )The boxes below in the other section can be ignored . . . press "Next"Next screen only gives a summary of what will be done to your partitions:screen4.jpgPress "Next"Now the actual install starts . . screen5.jpgJust move the mouse now and then so the screen does not fall asleep :rolleyes: . . and wait for it to finish. . . . When finished press "Next" ( In rare cases the installer dies prematurely . . . in that case we just will have to start again: pre-format the partition, reboot, install ;) )Here is an important part . . . the boot-loader . . . it will be set like this:screen6.jpgMarked will be "/dev/hda (Master boot record of drive)" . . that is prefect . . you only have to press the Install button . . . and ONLY after you get a popup saying that it was done you press "Next" again.The last screen:screen7.jpgNow this is important . . . . . Where it says 1) you give a password ( you can easily remember ) twice . . . then you press "Write Password"At 2) and 3) you take no action . . just leave it as it is . . . . . . . . . and press "Finish"Now the install is done and you can reboot your system . . . you will get a choice at boot to either boot "Linux" or "Windows" ( change with arrow keys ) . . . First boot into Windows to check if all is still okay . . . next boot try "Linux" :PGood Luck :DB) BrunoNOTE: Just be very carefull and precize, because like you said yourself: "Linux is very powerfull" B) . . Jus follow the instructions to the dot and nothing bad will happen :D

In that case . . write it down and make little drawings to remind you what the thread showed . . . ;)Until you install the bootloader ( before last picture ) you can always bail out by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and return to Windows to check my post again . . . Once you installed the bootloader in the MBR you will have to finish to the end without interupting because it will overwrite the XP bootloader . . . . . and you need to finish the job to be able to boot both XP and Linux.Good Luck Duece !! . . . . You can do it . . . I am sure !:rolleyes: Bruno

Duece On Eight

You did say "UNCHECK"> UN-check the little box that says "Format" right? And afterwards don't RE-CHECK it either right?Also on the boot-loader what you have written is:/dev/hda8 (Bootsector of partition) Noticed this one says hda8 this is correct right?/dev/hda (Master boot record of drive) this one is highlighted/dev/hdb (Master boot record of drive)Ok check this out and if it's a go, then I'm on it Bruno

Duece On Eight

Just got finished making a diagram of what you have so let me know about that last post and I will do her. Also will I have enough room to install "Mandrake" later or will I have to borrow more space from C: drive for it?

Duece On Eight
Hi Deuce ( PART 2 )>> . . . Maybe you better print this out so you have a lead during the install . . . <<Now we start the install . . . go to the Start Menu --> Terminals --> Konsole . . . . and you will get a "Dos-like" window where you can type commands.Then type "su" and when asked for the password type "linux" . . . next type "livecd-install" and hit Enterscreen1.jpgA GUI from the installer will pop up . . on the first screen you only hit the "Next"button:screen2.jpgThe next screen you will see this:screen3.jpgUN-check the little box that says "Format" and put the combobox ( for the Root (/) Device )  on /dev/hda6 <<----DOUBLE CHECK if that is correctly set !!!The second box for the "Swap Device" will already be correctly set to hda5 ( if not, stop here and tell me )The boxes below in the other section can be ignored . . . press "Next"Next screen only gives a summary of what will be done to your partitions:screen4.jpgPress "Next"Now the actual install starts . . screen5.jpgJust move the mouse now and then so the screen does not fall asleep B) . . and wait for it to finish. . . . When finished press "Next" ( In rare cases the installer dies prematurely . . . in that case we just will have to start again: pre-format the partition, reboot, install :D )Here is an important part . . . the boot-loader . . . it will be set like this:screen6.jpgMarked will be "/dev/hda (Master boot record of drive)" . . that is prefect . . you only have to press the Install button . . . and ONLY after you get a popup saying that it was done you press "Next" again.The last screen:screen7.jpgNow this is important . . . . . Where it says 1) you give a password ( you can easily remember ) twice . . . then you press "Write Password"At 2) and 3) you take no action . . just leave it as it is . . . . . . . . . and press "Finish"Now the install is done and you can reboot your system . . . you will get a choice at boot to either boot "Linux" or "Windows" ( change with arrow keys ) . . . First boot into Windows to check if all is still okay . . . next boot try "Linux" :PGood Luck :DB) BrunoNOTE: Just be very carefull and precize, because like you said yourself: "Linux is very powerfull" ;)  . . Jus follow the instructions to the dot and nothing bad will happen :D

In the initial command box after I type in "su" I am waiting to be asked for the password but it doesn't ask, so I pressed the enter key on my keyboard then Password show's up but with a rectangular green little box next to it, when I go to type in the password nothing type's. Am I to assume it doesn't display the actual typed out password? If so then after pressing the enter button again then [root @localhost highlander]# will show up so should I continue typing in: live-cd install?Reason I am asking is because if I should be waiting for a prompt from the Konsole I am not getting it, so should I just press enter and continue? This would be important as if I don't have a password I am asuming I will not be able to get access the nextime right?Duece Would anyone know the answer to what I have posted here, I think Bruno must be at work now, and I only need an answer to the question above. Anyone? ;) :rolleyes: Edited by Duece On Eight

In the initial command box after I type in "su" I am waiting to be asked for the password but it doesn't ask, so I pressed the enter key on my keyboard then Password show's up but with a rectangular green little box next to it, when I go to type in the password nothing type's. Am I to assume it doesn't display the actual typed out password? If so then after pressing the enter button again then [root @localhost highlander]# will show up so should I continue typing in: live-cd install?Reason I am asking is because if I should be waiting for a prompt from the Konsole I am not getting it, so should I just press enter and continue? This would be important as if I don't have a password I am asuming I will not be able to get access the nextime right?Duece Would anyone know the answer to what I have posted here, I think Bruno must be at work now, and I only need an answer to the question above. Anyone? ;) :rolleyes:

Nothing will show when your are typing the password. This is normal behaivior for linux... an added security mesaure. B) Edited by ross549

Duece On Eight
Nothing will show when your are typing the password. This is normal behaivior for linux... an added security mesaure. :rolleyes:

But you should still type in the password even though you won't see it and then just hit the enter button to continue is this correct?

Sure you still type in the password . . . otherwise it will not execute the command "livecd-install" you give next ;)And after evey command you give you hit "Enter" . . . . :DAnd . . . on my screenshots you see only hdaa8 because for making these shots ( specially for you ;) ) I did a re-install myself but had only hda8 free to to so.You are installing on hda6 so you will see hda6 there ;)The bootloader though should in both cases ( yours and mine ) be installed in "/dev/hda ( master boot record of drive )" the one that is highlighted by default.Hope that answers your questions ;)B) BrunoPS: If you want to know when I am online: Every evening Amsterdam time 19:00 to 24:00 ;)