I got it! I got it! I got it! I got it! I got it!

Duece On Eight

Duece On Eight
:D >>>>>>I got it! I got it!I thought the little package was from my father who reside's in the same state where it came from. But as I looked at it, oo0o0o0o0o0o0owe it was the "ALT LINUX LIVE CD".I was in awe, it got here so fast it took me by surprise all right, I was dreaming about the chance to finally use "LINUX" and said to myself well by Monday. But can't thx you'all enough just lost for words. I was having the usual pandomonium on Windows and that mail package just took me into I don't know land. Big shouts out to (I know the name but don't want to recognize and say it for reasons of I don't know if I should or could) you know who you are. Let me know if it would be alright to acknowledge the person and I will shout it from the rooftops.Bruno I am flabbergasted at this, I don't know if it's going to work but can't thx you enough for getting it all together.Now come's the moment: I'm not going to do anything until you'all give me my first directions. This thread will be my thxyou thread now and for later. I still have the other thread you gave me Bruno so from here I will look in that specific thread for directions on how to proceed, can't wait, can't wait. :) :w00t: :thumbsup: ;)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Duece On Eight

• Bruno

• ross549

• BarryB

LOL . . . Duece . . . . I am glad you are this happy . . .:DAnd just like you said in the other thread:

What would happen if I just put the cd in and fired it up without doing anything?
If your BIOS is set to boot from CD . . . . Go for it !! :) ( The best bootorder in the BIOS when you use / install Linux regularly is 1 Floppy, 2 CD, 3 HD ):w00t: BrunoPS: Remeber . . for logging in as "highlander" you do not need a password, ( but if you do ever need it it is "2years" :thumbsup: )

Duece On Eight

I am headed for it as I type, so running it off the cd doesn't have anything to do with NTFS on C: or anything of that nature?

As long as you run it "Live" ( from CD ) no . . . . . . that only comes into question when we do a HD install . . . and we are not at that point yet :DB) Bruno

Duece On Eight
As long as you run it "Live" ( from CD ) no . . . . . . that only comes into question when we do a HD install . . . and we are not at that point yet :DB) Bruno

Hey Bruno no luck so far, what is contained within the cd is the following:Live CD is this SQFS File 631mb Windows couldn't open it so I tried to open with Getdiz but nothing happened. And there is a folder with a boot, initrd, isolinux, isolinux.cfg, mediacheck, vmlinuz and that's it. So where and what do I do next fella's? Also do I need a ISOBurner? If I do what do you'all think of "ISORecorder"?I guess I need a special program in order to open up this SQFS file right? That's as far as I got. Bere with me folks this is my virgin attempt at this so I may ask some off the wall questions, so what's next now? :lol: Just some info into this and we'll see if it jets off. It's probably me not knowing how to do what. :blink: Now I will need some assistance in how to go about setting my PC to boot first off the cd that's probably why it did nothing as I had my OS booted up and running, I honestly am guessing now. Anyway I'll just hang tight till someone can get to this post and suggest a fix. o:)Sorry for being such a putzhead here.

SonicDragon

Don't worry about it! I'm glad you're enjoying this :blink: After you stick the CD in windows, restart your machine (leaving the cd in), and then the CD will boot and run linux :lol:

Edited by SonicDragon

Deice . . .like Sonic said . . just boot from the CD ( set BIOS to boot from CD 1st ) . . . . you should not run the CD in Windows . . actually Windows should not start at all . . . when you reboot with the CD in the tray you should imedeately see another bootscreen then usual . . . . . and at the bottom you see:

boot:
Then you just hit the "Enter-key" of your keyboard . . and sit back till you get a login screen . . . At the loginscreen you select "highlander" and hit the OK button . . and sit back again till you get the full ATL desktop :blink:. . . . . MINI-ATL-Live.jpeg <-- ClickB) Bruno

Duece On Eight

Hey you'all, Lastnight I finally got on ATL for the first time, amazing it was. Now to report on the boot-up: ;) What failed in the boot-up was it didn't recognize my usb port for my mouse which is cordless so I just plugged in another mouse and that took care of that, and something about the Intel failed and that was it after which it displayed that screen that you had put up Bruno. Now on the live cd can you get on to the internet with it? Also I found myself at a loss at first not knowing what to do with what on there but it is really nice to have the option of another OS especially Linux even if it's only on a cd. So is it possible to get online using the ATL? And after seeing this I am even more in anticipation of Mandrake. Of which I would put that on my hardrive as my alternative OS. Amazing truely amazing. B) :thumbsup: :wacko: :devil:

Edited by Duece On Eight

Hi Duece:clap: CONGRATS !!! :clap:Glad you have it working now . . . . Bravo ! ( Yep USB mice and keyboards are often an issue in Linux ) Now your question about getting online . . . that is perhaps the hardest part we have to get sorted out . . . see, on bradband this is no issue, but on dial-up there are several hurdles we have to overcome.My advice is: Learn as much about Linux as you can this week, browse the Live CD, check out every program and get comfortable with how things work in Linux ( Also check out http://www.linuxclues.com/ . . . specially written for people coming from Windows B) )You need a bit of basic Linux knowledge before we can "attack" the dial-up issue :thumbsup:Another point is this: Also ATL-Live can be installed to HD . . . and it might be a far easier first step then Mandrake to begin with . . you can always replace the ATL-Harddisk install by Mandrake a few weeks later.The first hurdle for the HD install would be having or making a Linux-formatted partition . . and for that we need to know how much free space you have on that drive of yours ( and if there are already partitions ( Windows formatted ) present on that drive.In any case, if you go left or right, you need to do a bit of reading about Linux and next to the site I mentioned above ( LinuxClues ), also these: YoLinux, Distrowatch, brunolinux, Linux.com, Slashdot and Freshmeat are sites you should visit daily ;)B) BrunoPS: I am calling in the dial-up experts to see how far we can get to have you connected to the Net in Linux B)** There is an off-line version of the "Tips for Linux Explorers" on the ATL-Live CD so you can read it even when you are not yet connected to the Net.I can also send you a fresh copy of it by mail . . . . just shoot me a PM with email address and it will be on it's way to you ;)Linux does take some time to learn . . . but you will never regret it ;)

I read the easiest way is to use kppp and enter the telephone number and your username and password. PPP is "Peer-to-Peer protocol" and is what dialup uses to connect to the ISP and then to the net. See if you can find kppp in the actions menu (Win users call it a Start Menu, its the first icon in the taskbar with a gear and the letter K)

Edited by mvent2

LOL . . . .Sure ATL-Live has the kppp dialer program mvent2 . . . . . but I think the "hot" point will be "is his modem recognised by Linux ??" . . .B) :DB) Bruno

I have to set my modem up manually when I use kppp because I live in Canada, When you open kppp click on the configure tab, then select account->new and chose manual setup. On the dial tab you enter your connection name and use add to input the phone number. On the DNS tab you input your domain name mine is nb.XXXXXXX.com. Select ok to accept the changes. On the modems tab select new ->Enter the name of your modem select the device type (on mine that is /dev/ttyS0) On the next Modem tab make sure wait for dial tone is checked, I usually turn the volume off here. This is where you can query your modem to see if it is recognized, If it tells you it is unable to find modem you may have to change the device type and try again. Now if you have a software modem it gets more complicated you have to check and see if your modem is supported under linux. There are a couple good sites some of them are http://www.linmodems.org/ and http://start.at/modem If you know the type of modem we can help with that too.Editted to fix /dev/ttyS0 the last digit is the number 0

Edited by rolanaj

Duece On Eight

Hey you'all and thxs for all your input: First off the cd didn't recogize my keyboard so I have no way of getting around it; it did however my mouse (as I said in the other post it was a digital and hooked up to a usb, so inserting another one I had did the trick) but without a keyboard I am stuck. Also it doesn't recognize any of my usb, they all failed and something about Intel failed also. If I can't type I can't do anything right?But I did manage to get around alot better after the 2nd time up and am becoming familiar with the name's of programs and what they do. However I could use alittle more advice or walk thru on say these module's, what there for, what they do and so on. And I am going to try to enable my connection, but didn't know the first place to look. I am really lost when it come's to that remote thing, don't even know the location or how to get it started and if I did get it started what to type if anything. My impression of this cd is I am ready to cross over and let Windows XP or any other Windows OS take a back seat, nothing but trouble this morning after installing a boot-up program from "Stardock" although they said it was possible that Windows XP would not start properly, and it did just that, but I inserted the live cd of ATL and booted up then signed off to restart and once it started to restart I pulled the cd out of the cd-rom and I was able to bootup in Windows again. It has something to do with the drivers and the bios setting that this program will not allow a bootup, it will either just continue running or it will repeat the basic bootup sequence over and over until I insert the live cd and do as I stated above, so in all actuallity the live cd enabled me to reboot from it's beginning bootup, but before it get's the chance to reboot in "ATL" I just manage to get the cd out in the nick of time so Windows will bootup and then I have my keyboard back which then I can start it safe mode and deleted that boot program but now I am booting up with a modified boot ini instead of the original boot ini.Don't mind me but the more I bootup with that cd the more convinced I am to get that Mandrake install and "install it" on my hardryve and just devote myself to learning it no matter what it takes. Windows is really wearing me out and for no reason other than the programmers that put it all together. Can't wait to get Mandrake on my hardrive now. Excuse my disgust folks Microsoft has made me an unbeliever in it. When ever you'all get some time let me know I'm ready now to make the cross-over for good.In Windows in run "msconfig" you click open the boot.ini tab and there is a boot sequence that follows, when you check them to see if the boot-path are legitement that is the cd remote it says that it is not a valid program and once deleted you will find yourslef back in the modified boot ini. Now I can live with that for awhile but would like to get at it's root. Actually abandon "Windows" altogether. I was amazed of all the programs that are on that cd, simply amazing. Of course it will take some time but I am spinning my wheels here on Windows lately and growing more discontent as time wax's on. I like the feel and the response of Linux as though it know's what to do before you do it, very assertive programming and stable like a rock.I read a few of your notes "Bruno on modem's and you have said(or the writer of that info said)that Slax is a comfortatable as far as dial-up is concerned out of all of them. But if any of you don't mind making me up those "Mandrake's" and helping me to get it on my hardrive , Windows will be a thing of the past for me. Very responsive the cd was and is, I can just imagine a full install on a hardrive..... B) Well let me take my leave for now, again thxs for helping me cross-over here. Up all night again configuring "Windows" of all things and should have been "Linux" instead............. :lol:

Hi DueceCan you maybe get an USB to PS2 adapter for your keyboard ( same type as for the mouse ) . . we will need the keyboad . . . ( or get a cheap $5 ps2 keyboard )Then . . . . I first want you to look if there is any space we can make on that HD of yours to install Mandrake . . . ( but first as a test an ATL HD install that will give me the time to find an "adopter" for you to send you the Mandrake CDs )Can you go in the menu --> configuration --> master control centerYou will have to give the "root" password . . . that is "linux" ( with a small L ) . . . you will see an icon called "mount-points" --> "partitions" . . . In the GUI you get you will see your HD represented as a blue line . . . click on it and write down what you see in the right panel . . . and post that to me :lol: ( the info about that partition )B) Bruno

PART 2Also I want to make sure you can connect to the net before we risk blowing up your Windows install . . . . . ( do you have Windows CDs + drivers for an eventual reinstall ? ):lol: Bruno

Duece On Eight

Already have this: USB to PS2 together already just got finished. Have the entire Windows XP on 8 cd's already, I would suppose all the drivers are on that right? As for the mount points right after this post I will get to it so give me say around 20 minutes to find it and I'll be right back Bruno. :lol:

Duece On Eight
So you can use the keyboard not in ATL can you ??B) Bruno

I used a usb extention and it's plugged in and working on "ATL". Here is what you asked for:hda:mountpoint:/mnt/win_cDevice: hda1DOS drive letter: C (just a guess)Type: fat32Size: 5.5GB (14%)FormattedMountedmountpoint:/mnt/win_dDevice: hda2DOS drive letter: D (just a guess)Type: NTFS (OR HPFS)Size: 27GB (74%) On C: around 74% should be "NTFS"FormattedMountedmountpoint:/mnt/win_eDevice: hda3DOS drive letter: E (just a guess)Size: 3.9GB (10%)FormattedMountedOnly thing is on Windows C: says it's NTFS on ATL it is saying it is 5.5GB of fat32, unless this is the recovery portion of files as it only reads out to what the recovery would be around 5.5GB, but the rest on C: is NTFS for sure. And on D: ATL is saying that the files are NTFS or HPFS, and on Windows it says it's fat32 so who's right here.Anyway here is what it showed the blue bar was of course broken up into 3 sections together as I have stated, now what? :) Edited by Duece On Eight

Good DueceNow . . . . . any idea what might be on the:mountpoint:/mnt/win_eDevice: hda3DOS drive letter: E (just a guess)Size: 3.9GB (10%)FormattedMountedIt is formatted but it does not say what format . . . . . would it just be an empty FAT partition ??And: That 5.5 could very well be a recovery . . . I would not touch that one ;)I want to concentrate on the 3.9 GB one . . . just large enough for Linux . . no luxury, but still it will do. . . . . . Can you check that size in XP and see what is on it ?Another question: What was that modem you had again . . .can not find the info you gave on it anymore . . :) Bruno

Duece On Eight

On E: it is "NTFS" definately. There is only 2 files on there, 1 I think is recycle and the other is some basic info that's it.

OKay . . good we will do a test . . . Go back to ATL . . and the Master Control Center . . partitions . . . . click on that S partition and press the "Resize button" . . . and wait till a box pops up . . . and see if it lets you resize it. ( just as a test )If it does let you resize it . .that is a good sing . . .so . . . stop resizing and simply Delete that partition . . . . then reboot and check if Windows still boots and report back to me and I will tell you what to do next ;):) Bruno