ATL-Live CD !!

Bruno

Bruno:Thanks for the great ATL. Your disc is full of good programs! I was hooked to the internet in less than 5 minutes . . . without help. ;) I will have to find a home for this on my internet computer :rolleyes: It will have to go on as the main choice with Mandrake 10.1 in the co-pilot seat. Suse 9.1 will have to be happy on my game computer. . . .with your ATL next to it if there is room. . . . if not maybe SuSe will be left out. Oh, BTW this message is being posted with your ATL :P B) :w00t:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• ikerekes

• steel

• réjean

Hi ShamThis is a nice way of waking up . . . Glad you like our ATL-Live-Distro that much . . . :rolleyes: :DB) Bruno

Hi everyone!I downloaded the ATL distro last night and burned it this morning and I can boot it but I have a problem. I see a few errors relating to the USB and things like that but I saw in the ReadMe first that I should ignore them.However, at some point, I see 3 or for:

mount:fs type ext3 not supported by kernel

followed by :

Mounting loopback filesystems; Failed

Then I get an:

Enter runlevel:

I have tried 1,2,3,4,5 and each one gives me:

INIT:Entering level: "with the number I chose"INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

with I think a prompt after that if I am remembering well. But then nothing else. Is there anything I can do to finish the booting properly?Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Strange Réjean . . . . . did you do the checksum on that ISO download ?You could try a "cheatcode" at boot . . like: livecd xres=800x600orlivecd hwdetect=no But I can not really find any that corresponds the failures you postB) Bruno

Réjean . . maybe try the CD on another computer ?? . . . How many MB has that one you use now ??:thumbsup: Bruno

Réjean . . maybe try the CD on another computer ?? . . . How many MB has that one you use now ??:thumbsup: Bruno

Hi Bruno!Sorry for taking so long to reply! I HAD TO watch the end of a curling game between the province of Québec (where I am from) and Nova Scotia (where I lived for the last 25 years). Anyway!I tried both cheapcodes and same old, same old. The 2nd one was ignorer and in both case I ended up at the "Enter runlevel" line.I checked the md5sum and it's good and the size of the CD is 634.8 Mb. So I will try it on my wife's machine now. Will let you know!

Hi Bruno!I tried the Live CD on my wife's computer and I managed to get to the login which I remembered was "highlander" but couldn't recall the password except that I thought we didn't need one so I just clicked and was told it was wrong. Will look into previous posts to get the info.I have only 256 MB of memory on each machine but I thout it was the bare minimum but enough.

Yep highlander does indeed need no password . . but you have to select "highlander" first before you hit OK . . . . ( password highlander is "2years" if you ever need it )B) Bruno

Gotcha!I found the password before I came back here, tried it and ended up at a prompt, did "su", password "linux" and startx and a whole screen went by with something like this at the end:

no screen foundXIO fatal error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server "0.0"P.S. Still on the wife's machine by the way.

Must be something wrong with that download . . . . or maybe do this:Reboot . . and at the propmt log in as "root" . . password "linux" . . .then type "XFdrake" and configure the graphics card . . . . when done log out as root with "Ctrl+D" and log in as highlander and type "startx" . . B) Bruno

Hi Bruno!At the risk of repeating myself I have to say that you are a genius! Managed to get into graphic mode and it looks beautiful! The only little problem is that my mouse is USB and that I am on the wrong ( well ok, the "other" ) computer. At least we know that the CD is fine so what if I do some reading tonight and then try to install ATL in lieu of the knoppix partition?

Well if you get it booted in GUI mode on the other system . . yep you can . . .For the USB mouse there is a simple trick:

If the mouse is on USB: Alt+F2 --> Type "konsole" --> "su" --> "mousedrake" --> Leave settings as they are, only with the tab-key put focus on "OK" and press <Enter>  This will restart mouseservices and all should be okay
For the install i have this "manual":
ATL-LIVE HD INSTALL1). Pre-format the partition ReiserFS2). Boot the ATL-Live . . . and log in as highlander B)3). Open a terminal and type:
$ su

The password is "linux" . . .then type

# livecd-install

4). Skip the partitioner and go directly to the 2nd screen5). On the second screen select the partition and un-check the box that says "format" ( because you already did that :angry: )6). Then start the install . . . . 7). When it comes to lilo: only install it in the MBR if you have a bootdisk for your other distros ( or if ATL is the only distro on that hd ) . . else install it in the "bootsector of the partition" ( example hda8 ) and add an ATL  section to the lilo you currently use later.8). Next screen make a new root-password but do NOT delete the "guest" account . . . ( because that is the highlander with passwordless login )9). Install is finished . . . now fix the Lilo of your main distro to include ATL ( If you need help let me know. ) . . . mine looks like this:

image=/boot/ATL/vmlinuz-2.6.7-2.tmb.6mdk        label="ATL-Live"        root=/dev/hda8        initrd=/boot/ATL/initrd-2.6.7-2.tmb.6mdk.img        append="nomce devfs=nomount splash=silent acpi=ht"        vga=788        read-only
NOTES: The HD install of ATL-Live is not meant to be updated . . . you can but, it might break things so you better not :angry: !!
I hope it works for you ;):rant: Bruno

securitybreach
Hi BreachYour laptop does not seem to be very cooperative does it ? LOL . . . Anyway for the USB mouse do the following:Alt+F2 --> Type "konsole" --> "su" --> "mousedrake" --> Leave settings as they are, only with the tab-key put focus on "OK" and press   This will restart mouseservices and all should be okay.For the internet connection, try the Master Control Center ( MCC )  it has a GUI tool to set up your connection.:thumbsup: Bruno

Got scroll and internet. Great distro Bruno. Still got lines in my colors but dont I always in the begining. LOL Thanx for a great live cd.Let me ask a question what distro controls hardware detection? PCLos8/Mandrake? The reason I asked is Drake usually finds my card, I just have to install the nvidia driver. I noticed the NVIDIA driver is installed by default but I have lines in my color. Thanx alot

:P :bounce: :worthy: :) :clap2: I just started it up and it works better than anything else I've tried so far on this computer. I think it has convinced me to try PCLos. The only thing that doesn't work is my 810 Chipset USB Controller. The only thing on my USB is the Lexmark I don't use for printing and need windows for scanning anyways.

Bruno - Finally had a few spare moments to try this out. - Very Impressive! :"> Found everything no problem. Within 15 minutes after popping the CD in I can browse the local network (Win2K domain), surf the web, listen to a Cecilia Bartoli mp3 from my HD (2K, formatted ntfs and located on a Promise controller), and touch up photos with my Wacom tablet after retrieving them from my usb card reader. I've been able to print test pages to both my Laserjet 4L and Officejet 5110 (multifunction -usb) Haven't tried scanning with the 5110 but it is recognized as a scanner as well.Al-in-all - very ;)

Thanks Doug . . . Glad you like it . . . looks like the project was far more successful then I ever expected :"> . . . . and we had good fun celebrating the forums birthday ;) :D Bruno