ATL-Live CD !!

Bruno

Look in ~/.bashrc and /root/.bashrc and you will see the PS line I added at the bottom :D . . . one of my favorite tweaks I always do fist on every install .
got it thanks Bruno, thats much better than having black on white i like it ... and even the apt-get moo looks so much better :wub:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• ikerekes

• steel

• réjean

:worthy:  . . . . . LOL . . I know what you are saying . . . LOL . . . .  :D  :worthy:  :D
:worthy: :clap2: B) but seriously this is really good .. so is the little flux but you gotta be used to flux.. its alot of fun... :wub: and i am really happy that streamtuner is included :P Edited by steel

Bruno to tweak the prompt i tried adding the last lines to end didnt work so do i ?

$ cat ~/.bashrc# ~/.bashrc: executed by bash(1) for non-login shells.# see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files (in the package bash-doc)# for examples# If running interactively, then:if [ "$PS1" ]; then    # don't put duplicate lines in the history. See bash(1) for more options    # export HISTCONTROL=ignoredups    # check the window size after each command and, if necessary,    # update the values of LINES and COLUMNS.    #shopt -s checkwinsize    # enable color support of ls and also add handy aliases    if [ "$TERM" != "dumb" ]; then        eval `dircolors -b`        alias ls='ls --color=auto'        #alias dir='ls --color=auto --format=vertical'        #alias vdir='ls --color=auto --format=long'    fi    # some more ls aliases    #alias ll='ls -l'    #alias la='ls -A'    #alias l='ls -CF'    # set a fancy prompt    PS1='${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\u@\h:\w\$ '    # If this is an xterm set the title to user@host:dir    case $TERM in    xterm*)        PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "\033]0;${USER}@${HOSTNAME}: ${PWD}\007"'        ;;    *)        ;;    esac    # enable programmable completion features (you don't need to enable    # this, if it's already enabled in /etc/bash.bashrc).    #if [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then    #  . /etc/bash_completion    #fifi
do i just replace
# set a fancy prompt    PS1='${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\u@\h:\w\$ '
with this?
# set a fancy promptPS1="\[\e[36;1m\][\u:\w]$ \[\e[0m\]"
or ???? :D :wub:

Yep that looks like the thing to do !!!Also in Slackware there is an extra trick because it has no .bashrc . . you have to make one and put a line in another file pointing to bashrc . . . .give me a minute to check the details . . B) BrunoUPDATE:For Slackware users:Make a: ~/.bashrc and a /root/.bashrcThen in ~/.bash_profile the text: "source ~/.bashrc"ALSO: If you want to try other colors then my blue and purple . . I have a script that shows the codes for the console colors I can send you ;)For those who read this thread these are ther PS codes I used:for the user:

PS1="\[\e[36;1m\][\u:\w]$ \[\e[0m\]"

for root:

PS1="\[\e[35;1m\][\u@\h \W]# \[\e[0m\]"

For Slackware users:Make a: ~/.bashrc and a /root/.bashrcThen in ~/.bash_profile the text: "source ~/.bashrc"ALSO: If you want to try other colors then my blue and purple . . I have a script that shows the codes for the console colors I can send you ;)

got it thanks and yeah would like to play with colors now B)

LOL . . the script is on its way :DB) BrunoPS: See, I like to work on the commandline . . but it has to look a bit nice as well B) ;)

Whoa! Are you kidding? It sounds too good to be true. Another live cd to try? How can I sample such a delicacy, err, I mean the ALT live CD?

securitybreach

What is the login and password? I had about 5 things that failed upon boot, will look again for detail. Also, my x doesnt start. All I get is a console login. I hope its not this screwy laptop again. Ugh. Thanx

Edited by securitybreach

Whoa! Are you kidding? It sounds too good to be true. Another live cd to try? How can I sample such a delicacy, err, I mean the ALT live CD?

LOL . . . Hi Tecky . . . I did send you a PM with the details . . . :bounce:
What is the login and password? I had about 5 things that failed upon boot, will look again for detail. Also, my x doesnt start. All I get is a console login. I hope its not this screwy laptop again. Ugh. Thanx

Hi Breach . . . . . on the mirror where you downloaded that ISO was a "README_FIRST.txt" . . . . did you read that first ??? It has all the passwords you need . . . LOLMaybe you can log in as "root" and then run "XFdrake" to configure your graphics card . . . then log out with Ctrl+D and log in as "highlander" and do "startx" . . that should settle your GUI . . . . ( but your graphics card must be really odd, because you are the first one with this problem :clap: :happyroll: )Anyway let me know if you have more problems :DB) Bruno* One post deleted on Ivan's request

For those who would like an alternative wallpaper: :happyroll:. . . . . MINI-ATL-Live_Alt.jpeg <-- ClickRightclick on the large one and choose "save image as" ;):bounce: Bruno

Nice wallpaper, I haven't installed ATL to the harddrive yet but it certainly is nice everything I could want is there. Great job Bruno!!

Nice wallpaper, I haven't installed ATL to the harddrive yet but it certainly is nice everything I could want is there.  Great job Bruno!!

I haven't installled it either, and I am affraid I won't be able to do it :bounce: For the life of me I can't figure out the root password. :happyroll: where did I miss it? maybe just my old age cutting up with me?Ivan

LOL . . . try "linux" Ivan ( a really stong password :happyroll: ) . . . . . It was written in the README_FIRST.txt . . . . . that should always be read first :PB) Bruno

Guest LilBambi

Bruno! You done great!! I love it! :thumbsup:It's an excellent combination of PCLos and Mandrake! The best of both!Thanks so much for doing this and for sending it along so this dialup user could get in on all the fun and play with it! Wouldn't have missed it for the world!!It's a great added plus for the 2nd SFNL Forums Birthday/Anniversary! B) :clap: :) :D :bounce: :happyroll:

LOL . . . try "linux" Ivan ( a really stong password :happyroll: ) . . . . . It was written in the README_FIRST.txt . . . . . that should always be read first :PB) Bruno

LOL Now the only thing you have to tell me where is the EADME_FIRST.txtIvan

It's on the CD. :D When I tested it I had to email Bruno and ask! I never read the readme files first. He thought I was a one-of-a-kind nutcase that does not read everything before beginning. I figure those files are for when all else fails. :D :w00t: :happyroll:

LOL  Now the only thing you have to tell me where is the README_FIRST.txtIvan

Poor Ivan . . it is clearly not your day . . . the REAME_FIRST is on the same mirror as you downloaded the ATL-Live.iso from . . .. next to the checksums.txt there was/is a README_FIRST.txt . . I will quote the relevant part here for you so you do not have to get it from the mirror:
1). ATL-Live.iso 634 MB downloadThe live CD is based on PCLos8/Mandrake. Has the KDE 3.3 windowmanager and is fully featured with all kind of programs. I fixed the hardware detection because on some graphic cards you did not get a GUI with prev 8, the Nvidia cards should be configured correctly now. . . . . Also I replaced java with version 1.2.4-07 because of the memoryleak the old version had. Also a whole bunch of other packages are updated, and minor issues fixed. I did not update the soundscripts and kdemultimedia because it messed up the knotify . . . . ==> NOTE: On some systems it says in the boot-messages that eth0 failed . . . don't panic because it most likely is false alarm. ==> Know issues: 1)  USB mouse and Keyboard ( If only the mouse is on USB: Alt+F2 --> Type "konsole" --> "su" --> "mousedrake" --> Leave settings as they are, only with the tab-key put focus on "OK" and press <Enter>  This will restart mouseservices and all should be okay )       2)  Only in rare cases: Sound muted at boot: There is an icon next to the clock, click on it and click on "mixer", then un-mute PCM and Master that should solve it.    Everything else should be fine.Login: highlander password: 2years ( Not needed, there is a passwordless login )Login: rootpassword: linux
:w00t: BrunoPS: Can you believe these people that don't even read the REAME_FIRST ???? . . . LOL :happyroll:

Bruno! You done great!! I love it! :thumbsup:It's an excellent combination of PCLos and Mandrake! The best of both!Thanks so much for doing this and for sending it along so this dialup user could get in on all the fun and play with it! Wouldn't have missed it for the world!!It's a great added plus for the 2nd SFNL Forums Birthday/Anniversary! :hug:  :D  :clap:  :D  :w00t:  :happyroll:

Thanks Fran !! . . . Really glad you like it ! ( And that the postman did get it to you in time ;) )B) Bruno

It's on the CD.  :hug:  When I tested it I had to email Bruno and ask!  I never read the readme files first.  He thought I was a one-of-a-kind nutcase that does not read everything before beginning.  I figure those files are for when all else fails. ;) :clap:  :w00t:

I beg to differ
[root@localhost root]# find / -xdev -name README*/root/OpenOffice.org1.1.3/README.html/root/OpenOffice.org1.1.3/README/home/highlander/Tips_Linux_Explorers/README_Windows.txt/home/highlander/Tips_Linux_Explorers/README_Linux.txt/home/highlander/Tips_Linux_Explorers/README_Desktop_Icon.txt/home/highlander/README/home/highlander/OpenOffice.org1.1.3/README.html/home/highlander/OpenOffice.org1.1.3/README/home/highlander/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/README.desktop/etc/ppp/plugins/README/etc/X11/xkb/types/README/etc/X11/xkb/symbols/README/etc/X11/xkb/rules/README/etc/X11/xkb/keymap/README/etc/X11/xkb/keycodes/README/etc/X11/xkb/geometry/README/etc/X11/xkb/compat/README/etc/X11/xkb/README.enhancing/etc/X11/xkb/README.config/etc/X11/xkb/README

I don't see no README_FIRST.txt here. :D :D :happyroll:

Don't listen to Julia . . she never reads anything :happyroll: . . :D :D . . it is not on the CD but on the MirrorSee my post ( we crrossposted ) just 2 above your last one :w00t: :clap: Bruno

Don't listen to Julia . . she never reads anything :happyroll: . . :D :D . . it is not on the CD but on the MirrorSee my post ( we crrossposted ) just 2 above yours :w00t: :clap: Bruno

LOL How can I blame her? I never read either :)Ivan

Ivan:I hope you have it now . . . and by great exception will read it ??? . . . :happyroll: :PTo ALL:There is a real easy fix for LimeWire . . . . do, AS USER:

$ kwrite /home/highlander/.bash_profile

You will see a couple of lines of code . . . one of them is:

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
Make that:
PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_07/bin
And do not forget to put the ":" between what is already there and the part you add :)Then save the file . . . . log out . . log in . . and try to start LimeWire again ;)Thanks to Colin to find the "bug"( This is added in the first post of this thread too :w00t: ):D Bruno

securitybreach
LOL . . . Hi Tecky . . . I did send you a PM with the details . . . ;)Hi Breach . . . .  . on the mirror where you downloaded that ISO was a "README_FIRST.txt" . . . . did you read that first ??? It has all the passwords you need  . . . LOLMaybe you can log in as "root" and then run "XFdrake" to configure your graphics card . . . then log out with Ctrl+D and log in as "highlander" and do "startx" . . that should settle your GUI . . . . ( but your graphics card must be really odd, because you are the first one with this problem B) B) )Anyway let me know if you have more problems :DB) Bruno

I finally got it to work using XFdrake and selecting my graphics card. I had lines in my colors, like when I started with Slack. So I guess its my "funny hardware". It also didnt find my internet connection, which is a Netgear PCMCIA card. I didnt have time to mess with the internet connection settings yet, but what interface besides CLI does this distro use? I noticed Drake settings (XFdrake) for video and PCLOS boot screen. It looks cool and has alot of the programs I normally use. Also, how can I set usb mouse instead of touchpad only. Thanx

Hi BreachYour laptop does not seem to be very cooperative does it ? LOL . . . Anyway for the USB mouse do the following:Alt+F2 --> Type "konsole" --> "su" --> "mousedrake" --> Leave settings as they are, only with the tab-key put focus on "OK" and press <Enter> This will restart mouseservices and all should be okay.For the internet connection, try the Master Control Center ( MCC ) it has a GUI tool to set up your connection.:devil: Bruno

Hi BreachYour laptop does not seem to be very cooperative does it ? LOL . . . Anyway for the USB mouse do the following:Alt+F2 --> Type "konsole" --> "su" --> "mousedrake" --> Leave settings as they are, only with the tab-key put focus on "OK" and press <Enter>  This will restart mouseservices and all should be okay.For the internet connection, try the Master Control Center ( MCC )  it has a GUI tool to set up your connection.:hmm: Bruno

Bruno!If I haven't told you before, here from me now, You are GREAT!Thank you very much for ATL, i had a lots of fun with it.One think you might know, what bugged me for the longest time, but i don't know the solution for it.You probable realized by know, that my spelling really sucks. (It not that I don't know how to spell, but I just don't take the time ever to look at what I type).Anyways I am using FireFox almost exclusivelly, Yesterday my wife was using my desktop, when I wanted to reply to somebody on the pclos forum, so I used my laptop, which happened to run happily on the ATL livecd. I used konqueror to get to pclinuxonline, and to my biggest suprize when i typed my reply, the automatic spellcheck was turned on. Now I never had the time yet to chack out if it is by default or do you have to set something to turn on by default, but I really would like to have this feature in FireFox as well. Do you know any way I can achive this?Thanks Ahead.Ivan

I stand to be corrected, but I believe that the konqueror spellchecker is part of KDE.For firefox, there's an extension calledSpellBound. No live checking but you can just click a button after you're done typing and you get a box showing your errors and offering suggested corrections.

Duece On Eight

Hey there I just arrived a couple of hours ago sent here by a friend on Lockergnome "greengeek", you will recognize me here as "Duece On Eight", I have already posted a thread in your How to choose a linux distro, A beginners guide and found this thread interestingly all about using a Linux distro live cd. Is there a way I can get this link sent to me? I am presently using a 56kb modem and have 769mb of ram with around 369mb left for use. My OS is Windows XP and processor is a celeron 2.7 ghz with approx 20 gigs left. I have another drive recently I put on that will hold 3.9 gigs but I believe it is the NTFS file and not Fat32. I really have been wanting to try Linux for such a long time now. I currently have a SUSE 9.2 (64mb)mini-iso already burned to a cd and waiting on my E: drive but don't know what the first thing to do is. So when I saw this thread I had to get on and post one.Thanks if you can send me the link, and thanks if you decide not to. :P Duece On Eight

Hi DueceLook in your PM inbox . . . Seeing you are on dial-up I will send you info on how to get the CD send to you by snail-mail for free :P( Top left of the forum you will se you have 2 messages :) click on it and you will be able to read them)B) BrunoPS: I made your first post into a seperate thread :happyroll: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=11133 you will get more answers that way :D

Bruno!If I haven't told you before, here from me now, You are GREAT!Thank you very much for ATL, i had a lots of fun with it.One think you might know, what bugged me for the longest time, but i don't know the solution for it.You probable realized by know, that my spelling really sucks. (It not that I don't know how to spell, but I just don't take the time ever to look at what I type).Anyways I am using FireFox almost exclusivelly, Yesterday my wife was using my desktop, when I wanted to reply to somebody on the pclos forum, so I used my laptop, which happened to run happily on the ATL livecd. I used konqueror to get to pclinuxonline, and to my biggest suprize when i typed my reply, the automatic spellcheck was turned on. Now I never had the time yet to chack out if it is by default or do you have to set something to turn on by default, but I really would like to have this feature in FireFox as well. Do you know any way I can achive this?Thanks Ahead.Ivan

Hi IvanThanks a million ! This coming from you, one of the developers of PCLos, I accept this as a HUGE compliment ! :P I am glad you had fun with it ! :) But honestly it would not have worked without your help ;)You think your spelling is bad . . . well you will not see many of my mistakes but that is only because next to the spellchecker I have Julia running faithfully 2 steps behind me checking and correcting ALL my posts for the last 2 years ( and there are a few I make each day :D < Thanks Julia ! > ) . . . she can tell you stories :PNow about the spellchecker, this feature ( default ) in Konqueror is why I switched from my all-time favorite Galeon browser to Konq for my forum-posts . . . I still use Galeon for "normal" browsing though . . . I just like it better then Firefox ( I stopped using since they abandoned the name Phoenix, when it was still light and small B) )Anyway like Jaquoval writes here above there is a spellchecker for Firefox and if you have any problems getting it to work properly I can send you our resident Firefox expert Neil ( aka Steeler_Fan ) . . . . just give a shout and I will send him a PM.Thanks again !!!B) BrunoHint: Konqueror has a build-in translator feature too . . . . maybe time to switch ? :happyroll: