ATL-Live CD !!

Bruno

. . . . . It is the forum's second anniversery as you would already have read here:We begin our 3rd year, Happy Anniversary, SNLFI hope you all posted your wishes :) HereNow . . . . . about the All Things Linux Live CD's:First, this is never meant to be or become a serious competition for the major Linux Distros . . it is just for fun, a birthday present to enlighten the festivities . . . a little candle on the cake :DNor will there ever be an ATL-Live 2.0 . . . any updates posted or account opened at distrowatch :DI will however try to troubleshoot those that have troubles running it ( sure I will :w00t: )About the ATL-Live.iso:. . . . . MINI-ATL-Live.jpeg <-- ClickThough it is not really made to install to HD, it can be done just as easy as PCLos because it uses the PCLos installer . . . . . :D . . . just run /usr/bin/livecd-install . . . . But because it has mixed packages I would not run the updates because you might loose sound and end up with an "udev" that is worse then the one it has now. Most likely to mess up are Java, Kdemultimedia, soundscripts and earlier mentioned udev.You can however add extra packages like: Mozilla, Mozilla-mail, Evolution, Gftp, Gkrellm-plugins, Lame and Anacron . . . but do un-mark the updates first after updating the list in synaptic. . . . . There is no guarantee here though . . but if things break you will have to simply start all over again :DAbout the MINI-ATL-Live.iso:This one is kept as small as possible ( 180MB ) . . but still includes Firefox and Thunderbird . . . there is no HD install, no fancy login screen or wallpaper. It was a first project to see if it was possible to make a Live CD and is handy as rescue CD or on systems with little CPU and memory.About downloading:I have uploaded both ISOs on several sites . . . . and because all of those sites have traffic limits I have to ask you to send me a PM so I can regulate that traffic and see to it that we do not overload one "mirror" too much . . . so please be patient, keep the link I send you to yourself and certainly do not post it on the forum ( or any other forum :thumbsup: )On dialup ?For people on dial-up: There are several volunteers that will send you the CD by snail-mail, just let us know and we will set things up so you will be running the ATL-Live soon.So . . . . . My dear friends . . . . I had loads of fun making these 2 CDs . . . I hope you will have fun giving them a spin :)Thanks to Scot, Jeber and the beta testers for their patience and absolute silence about the project.B) BrunoDISCLAIMER: Many, many coasters were created, but no live animals were harmed making these Live CDs... :drooling:. . . . . ====================================================NOTE: LimeWire fix:There is a real easy fix for LimeWire . . . . do, AS USER:

$ kwrite /home/highlander/.bash_profile

You will see a couple of lines of code . . . one of them is:

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
Make that:
PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_07/bin
And do not forget to put the ":" between what is already there and the part you add :)Then save the file . . . . log out . . log in . . and try to start LimeWire again ;)====================================================

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno

• ikerekes

• steel

• réjean

This is really a great forum! Full of helpful suggestions and real answers to your questions. How about a "Thumbs Up!" to Scot's Newsletter, Scot's Newsletter's super moderators, and the great posters that help out the newbies and the computer inept, like me!!!!!36_1_11.gif36_1_11.gif36_1_11.gif

LOL . . .Colin . . . . I will send you the link for the download in a PM . . . . and we will start the "Colin is at it again . . part 11" . . . . . . LOL :teehee: :DB) Bruno

. . . . . :P BrunoDISCLAIMER: Many, many coasters were created, but no live animals were harmed making these Live CDs... :teehee:. . . . .

My brother sent me a link late last year that said the coasters could be used to scare away birds from your fruit trees. I will certainly be recycling a batch of coasters in my fruit trees after getting my first cd burner last year. lovebirds3ed.giflovebirds3ed.giflovebirds3ed.gif

Bruno, this sounds fantastic - a great anniversary present.Well done to the All Things Linux team and more power to your elbow !!Count me in for the full live CD.Jan :teehee: :P :D

Happy 3rd Birthday OOPs! Guess it is the 2nd Birthday :thumbsup:Send me the Link I am ready!Mel B)

Edited by mhbell

Great BrunoThis is from the ATL live cd , using firefox Will do some mre exploring Love the opening splash screen visuals Charlie : B)

Great BrunoThis is from the ATL live cd , using firefox    Will do some mre exploring Love the opening splash screen visuals Charlie : B)

Thanks Charlie . . . glad you like it !!B) Bruno

LOL . . . . . It is only for fun Joy . . . . not for adding to the list B) :DOzgeek, Colin, Charlie and Barry are running it right now ;):lol: Bruno

great job Bruno .. i am sure that you spend alot of time making them and thank you they are fun both of them B) and the mini is fun if your used to fluxbox .. keep up the great work

Congrats Bruno !! on a very useful live-CD. It has everything that I use, and more.I will certainly enjoy using it for fun B) Jan

Jan I had no idea there were so many either!Just checking through some of those distros I noticed that there are a few available for Macs, even Gentoo. Anyone tried Linux on a Mac? (Maybe I should ask this in the Mac forum).

Thanks BrunoI finally got it downloaded and burned to a CD I am using it now :D as I write this. I was a little disappointed because it did not recognize my Gigabit Nvidia Ethernet card. :lol: So I am running the live CD on my 2nd machine with Sis chipset and sis 900 Ethernet card. Thanks to all who helped make this distro. It is terrific and looks very nice so far. :D It is funny PC Los won't run on my machines but this Distro as I understand it, is a derivative of PC Los and does. :lol: anyway thanks to allMel B)

You got it Mel . . . the PM is on it's way :DB) Bruno

I just finished downloading the .iso :lol: I want to install my new dvd burner tomorrow morning when I'm fully awake. :lol: I'll burn the .iso then and give it a test drive.Thanks Bruno for sharing this live-cd. B)

:D  It is funny PC Los won't run on my machines but this Distro as I understand it, is a derivative of PC Los and does. :hmm: anyway thanks to allMel :thumbsup:

LOL . . Maybe that is because it is a mix of PClos, a little Mandrake and a tiny bit of Sun ( Java ). . . . :D . . . Glad you like it !BTW: Did you try "forcedeth" on the nvidia chipset system for the onboard nic ?B) Bruno

I just finished downloading the .iso  :hmm: I want to install my new dvd burner tomorrow morning when I'm fully awake.  B) I'll burn the .iso then and give it a test drive.Thanks Bruno for sharing this live-cd.  :thumbsup:

You're welcome Dard ! . . . Hope you have success with your new DVD burner :D
I would love to give it a go, if you could send me the link. Thanx

I did just send you a PM with a download link . . . . keep us posted !:D Bruno

BTW: Did you try "forcedeth" on the nvidia chipset system for the onboard nic ?:wub: Bruno

Yes I did and it recognized it but still could not get my Hi Speed internet (cable Connection) to work so put it on second machine and all worked well. I am sure that I can get it to work on the Nvidia machine when I have more time to play with it. This is busy time of year for me and several of my Clients..Mel :D

LOL . . . maybe this time you need the "nvnet" driver for it . . . :D :wub: . . . that onboard NIC of yours is one crazy piece of hardware :PB) Bruno

hi Bruno how did you set the colors in [highlander:~]$ i like the colors and i was looking through all the plugins that you included with gkrelim nice :D .. excellent job

Edited by steel

LOL . . yep I did tweak the prompt for the user and root in a different color . . . :)Look in ~/.bashrc and /root/.bashrc and you will see the PS line I added at the bottom :D . . . one of my favorite tweaks I always do fist on every install . . . . makes it even lore clear if you are "user' or "root" . . :DB) Bruno