hard disk free to install

striker

Teacher

Sounds like you have it all worked out. Great!
Thanks, Julia.I decided to replace the old cd player too, it might arrive tomorrow or so.The new SimplyMepis has been downloaded and burned succesfully now with the new cd writer.I hope I'll get a chance to replace the old version during the evening with the new one. Now on to the knoppix 3.7 hunt.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• striker

• Ozidave

• teacher

• Bruno

Top Posters In This Topic

You just are on a roll. I think "Distro Fever" has invaded the forum once again. What can I say. I am innocent. :happyroll: Simply Mepis has always been a nice one.The new CD writer will be a bonus. Once you have one starting to bite the dust strange things happen when installing and burning.

You just are on a roll. I think "Distro Fever" has invaded the forum once again. What can I say. I am innocent. w00t.gif Simply Mepis has always been a nice one.
:harhar: me, " distro fever" ... :happyroll: :w00tx100: :w00tx100: Well, I don' t say there is not a tiny little bit of me liking linux more and more, but distro fever ? :harhar:
The new CD writer will be a bonus. Once you have one starting to bite the dust strange things happen when installing and burning.
There are a cd writer and a cd player in it;The cd writer went to the smokey mountains last week, I replaced that one. Now the cd player is the one I didn' t like from the beginning, so I decided to replace that one either. Both drives were 3 years old, not bad.The old cd player will stay availlable as reserve.SimplyMepis 2004.03 installed : doing just fine, posting from it now.Regarding Knoppix 3.7 : It was some special version coming with the pcwelt magazine.I was not able to get it anymore, sold out here in the country they said at the store. Aw heck, I just wait until it will be availlable online.I' ve got 3.6 running smooth.

There are a cd writer and a cd player in it;The cd writer went to the smokey mountains last week, I replaced that one. Now the cd player is the one I didn' t like from the beginning, so I decided to replace that one either. Both drives were 3 years old, not bad.The old cd player will stay availlable as reserve.
So you are upgrading the hardware after 3 years ? . . . Why not plug in a DVD-ROM where the CD-ROM is now ? That way you have a CD-RW and a DVD-Reader . . . . you can simply plug it in the same way as the CD-Rom and it will work without configuring :happyroll: ( A simple DVD-Rom costs about 39 Euro :w00tx100: ):w00tx100: Bruno

yep Bruno that's what shortly crossed my mind too, but to be honest : I don' t want dvd stuff in here, I'm not interested in it.But thanks for the suggestion.I will shut up for the evening now, I' m going to study Vi ... and see what' s nano all about.

StrikerI don't use mine for anything but installs and backups. It sure is a lot easier to install a distro from 1 DVD rather than 5 CDs. They are not just for movies you know. :devil:

StrikerI don't  use mine for anything but installs and backups.  It sure is a lot easier to install a distro from 1 DVD rather than 5 CDs.  They are not just for movies you know. ;)
Hi Julia,You have to consider those with Linux-Fever inasmuch that they need to be treated with Slow and Painful installs. B) A quick install with a DVD may be too much of a shock to the nervous system, unsatisfying and resulting in goodness-knows-what. :w00tx100:Besides, We addicts are more serious about how we do things, :( If you don't believe me... Just check out the seriousness of MY Avatar. :hmm: ;) Edited by Ozidave

I am sorry Ozi. I would not want to be one to add to your addiction. I was not thinking of that. Slow and painful it is!1 :( A very serious avatar. Glad you like it!

The new cd player which I ordered to replace the old one (no, not the cd writer, that's a brand new one) still hasn' t arrived yet. Then this morning I did a libranet update : tried to upgrade the distro to the latest availlable packages which were offered through synaptic. It went wrong, and not just a little bit...it went wrong to the totality of totalnes,if you understand what I' m trying to say. That means there's a reinstall of libranet underway. B) I don' t like this at all.Then PcLinuxOS-P7 : updated to the latest availlable packages...running lke a charm.To be short, all other distros on the rig are fully up-to-date. Except that lousy l ......well,I' m off taking a nap now.And after that a fresh pot of coffee.

The updates blew up Libranet ?? . . . . . . I think this happens often with Debian related distros because they use the Debian mirrors for updating . . but they are not really 100% Debian . . . . :P . . . happened to me with Knoppix a while ago . . B) Bruno

It's reinstalled,tuned and tweaked to the basic needs. Printing ok,scanning = 0, have to look at that. Browser ok.Mail not set up yet, will be the next thing.Seems that by using synaptic - which is basically just a front-end to apt-get - you can tweak the /etc/apt/sourceslist to reflect only the libranet safe repositories, that means skipping the Deb repositories.Have to try that out. And no more dist-upgrade to me, I'll stick to what it has and only upgrade the security packages if I can found out which ones,otherwise I' ll leave it as is, if - and that's a big if - I can get the scanner working.So i do have to knock some problems heads off, but I managed to do that in LormaLinux so I might be succesfull too in libranet.

you can tweak the /etc/apt/sourceslist to reflect only the libranet safe repositories, that means skipping the Deb repositories.
That is a better system ! . . . It would mean you can update without checking every package if it is really needed Yes or NoB) Bruno

StrikerDoes that mean you googled yourself? ;) :o I agree with the Libranet repositories...I think more debian based distros will be doing that..

;) :o SCANNER = WORKING OK !This is how I did it :I opened up a konsole as user and then :
$ su< password >blah@libranet# kedit /etc/sane.d/epson.conf

Then the usual blah blah in the konsole before kedit displays the epson.conf file.Kedit showed me this :# epson.conf## here are some examples for how to configure the EPSON backend## SCSI scanner:scsi EPSON## Parallel port scanner:#pio 0x278#pio 0x378#pio 0x3BC## USB scanner - only enable this if you have an EPSON scanner. It could# otherwise block your non-EPSON scanner from being # recognized.# Depending on your distribution, you may need either the# first or the second entry.#usb /dev/usbscanner0usb /dev/usb/scanner0I had a good look at the screen when I rebooted into libranet, that's how I knew where exactly the scanner was located and of course that it was recognised in the first place. So it was an easy one this time, I just had to uncomment the last line in the above line : after that xsane starts up and I can scan,kooka wants to do its job too now.So that one problem is solved. :o

Yep,I placed four links on the desktop, two to my two floppy drives, they work ok.The other two pointing to the cd player and the cd writer.The cd players one wouldn' t eject on right click,gave me an error "can not eject /dev/cdrom" ;The other one link- for the cd writer - was functioning ok in this regard,but was pointing to /dev/scd0 and was opening upon ejecting by right click the cd player.Go figure... So I changed the link to /dev/scd1 and after that it was functioning ok, then I changed the link for the cd player to /dev/scd0 and now that one was doing its job ok too.---------------------------------Regarding the updates through synaptic / vs. etc/apt/sources.list :In a konsole I did this :

xxxxx@distrox:~$ suPassword:abcd@distrox:/home/xxxxx# kedit /etc/apt/sources.listkbuildsycoca running...abcd@distrox:/home/xxxxx#

Then this was in kedit:--------------------# See sources.list(5) for more information#Libranetdeb http://libranetlinux.com updates/2.8/deb http://libranetlinux.com security/2.8/#Debian#deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free <-------was not commented out#deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib non-free#Debian Non-US#deb http://non-us.debian.org/ sarge/non-US main contrib non-free <----was not commented out#deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/ sarge/non-US main contrib non-free#Debian security updates#deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security sarge/updates main contrib non-free<----was not commented out#deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security stable/updates main contrib non-free<----was not commented out#deb-src ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security sarge/updates main contrib non-free#deb-src ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security stable/updates main contrib non-free---------------------I commented out all except the two libranetlinux.com entries as shown above.Then opening synaptic it showed me an error about missing sources,but only the very first time.I clicked OK, then "Update List" and it read the source file OK, all entries were greyed out exceptthose two mentioned above.Ten minutes later I again opened up synaptic and no error messageswere shown. I was able to download gdeskcal (gnome desktop calendar package) without any errors and the application installed and ran ok.

Good to know the things about the sources.list !!! . . Will have to remember that !The CD story is crazy . . . no other words for it: just plain crazy ! :DB) Bruno

yes, that's right : crazy it is, but it works . It was not configured like it should, despite I answered the questions during install correct.Regarding the synaptic story : there seems to be another little file elsewhere in where one could edit the preference for the sources where to download from.I' ve read something about that anywhere ongoogle but can' t seem to find it anymore.------- edited below ------------I trashed the cd player and cd writer icons.I then used Adminmenu to redetect both drives and this time it did well. Put new icons back on the desktop and now they work well,including ejecting and (un-)mounting.On the libranet forums there's some material to be found regarding apt-get/synaptic repositories. Imho it's an untransparent approach.Printing normally works but not from Mozilla,then it referts to postscript printing. B)

Edited by striker

This afternoon and a few hours after we had dinner, I fiddled with the libranet distro again to get printing managed from within mozilla.It was a complete no-go.I let libranet redetect my two printers which went fine, printing from i.e. kedit or kate was no problem.Then Mozilla : it referts itself back to use postscript printing. :devil: So I checked cups but nothing wrong to see.Then "about:config" in Mozilla : there it was, postscript as default and....guess what : neither of my two printers to be seen in this dialog.So I closed Mozilla,entered the corresponding profile directory and hacked the prefs.js, I copied the printer-section from another distros Mozilla on which distro it just works like a charm, to the printer-section of the Mozilla in libranet. Then I started up Mozilla > print > :angry: that postscript thing again? What ..... No way man, not with me ...so I closed Mozilla, did the whole hack-a-file thing again,rebooted libranet (murphy, you know ...and debian >_< )and then fired up Mozilla,straight to about:config and .... yes, postscript again and the hacks were nicely erased into the walhalla to be never seen again. Aaaaaaaaargh, looking for my axe again ... LOL , no lets get serious : libranet - the flagship ... it just has sunken into very very deep waters, if you ask my opinion.There were other "glitches" too, just to name a few :Tried to copy one couple of lines from a text file opened in Kate and paste it into kedit : forget it,just doesn' t work : kedit indicated the file was modified, but no modification to be seen within the file, unless I'm totally blind. Well,I do have a not so good eyesight, but blind ???? (yes, the clipper actions are enabled and the synchronize contents of clipboard and selection option in the clipboard/selection behaviour is checked)Another raving story : gkrellm.Beautifull package.Should run on libranet shouldn't it? it is even installed straight from the cd's. The necessary file lm_sensors ? no one knows about that one,unless you mean the heavily screwed up lm_sensors-debian blah blah, which you can' t even start up to detect anything with the sensors-detect command.That well known command is not known.So gkrellm is useless to me too, due to this lm_sensors-debian and whatnot .The software in this distro : well it is usable,but not the latest in points of security.One could fix that by updating, yeah : see my previous posts about that : you only risk hosing your distro into an absolutely unusable state.I had that already, been there,done that.Off course : your mileage may vary.Sorry for the rant, I just wanted to express my feelings. I have to calm down,take pot of strong coffee, look at my lovely wife and all will be ok again. :w00t: So that's my adventure with debian-based bistros, err ...I mean distros. Nothing for me and certainly not from a standpoint of user friendlyness. Again : your mileage may vary. Don't take it personally. ;) So I' m looking for no-gnome-no-debian-based candidates to replace libranet,mepis and knoppix. There we go again ! :D

It is one for getting in and learning how everything works. If you want easy then don't go this route. If you can follow directions and want to really get in and learn, this is great. You can tailor it to meet your computer's specifications exactly - without loading anything extra. This makes an extremely fast loading distro that knows what it is doing. It is also the only distro of all that I have that actually turns my computer off on "shut down."

The handbook is very much a necessity. Downloading and printing is a wonderful idea. If you don't download it you can run it in another window in links so you can copy and paste. B)

libranet - the flagship ... it just has sunken into very very deep waters, if you ask my opinion.
So it would be safe to assume that the Libranet CD's I have, could now be turned into coasters no doubt? ;) At least they would be of some use..... :w00tx100: And you were watching ME in my Slackware adventure.... before taking the plunge 'again' yourself!! :whistling:

Come on OziEveryone wants to play.  Otherwise we would be doing some boring distro like Windows!
ah ha, I agree with you Julia, I'm nearly tempted to put Libranet on one of my boxes JUST to see what it does. Or in this case... doesn't do? :lol:It's catching... but sometimes it's frustrating too. :whistling: