hard disk free to install

striker

If you install Slackware v10 first, You can then install Gentoo on the same computer using the excellent 'LiLo' configuration application that will be available for your use as it is part of the default install of Slackware. You will however have to know what partitions you have installed what on. It would be best to write them down.
Setting up Lilo and the other stuff is not the issue... it is being without internet for the whole process of compiling everything on Gentoo! :thumbsup:

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• striker

• Ozidave

• teacher

• Bruno

Top Posters In This Topic

update : RH 9 installed, and then ... updated ... screwed itself. :angry: RH9 ain't supported anymore if I did understand it correctly, so counting 1+1 gave me "wipe it" .What I'm going to install instead of RH? I'm looking around, I'll let you know what it will be when I'm ready testing.BTW : Everybody here in the forums know that I don't like Mandrake, simply because previous versions did not run ok on my machine.Well, guess what ? Mandrake 10 Official was the first one I installed in this install party, and it is running like a champ...this one is rocking ...(on this machine).This leads me to the question which distro I'm going to adopt as my main one, Mandrake 10 Off, or my beloved SuSE 9.1 Pro. Very difficult, they are both doing the job flawlessly on the machine.Maybe I can accomplish to use them both at the same time, with the left keyboard and the left monitor SuSE and with my right keyboard and right monitor Mandrake :D :thumbsdown: :P ... now I only need a spare hand and a second mouse :w00t: :w00t:

Yes I did, it didn't even install like it should, I couldn't get into it at the first screen showing up after installing : fonts like tower buildings. That's why I reverted to RH9.Now I'm in the middle of downloading the new Aurox Amber (4 cd's) to give them a try. (they're RH based, hopefully they do a better job on this machine.)

Setting up Lilo and the other stuff is not the issue... it is being without internet for the whole process of compiling everything on Gentoo! :P
Perhaps you could print the instructions out before you start installing Gentoo.If that would make it easier for you.I tend to use intuition myself... It makes it more interesting and challenging when one tries to 'geek' their way through an install.And you may surprise yourself by what you have actually learned just by reading the other posts here.So you may already be 50% to 60% aware of what you need to know.Best of Luck.

OziFound the perfect avatar for you!
Hello Julia,Thank you for the nice picture; But I think the one I'm using now is more suitable for my new found interest.Someone else perhaps, may appreciate it though?

Maybe I can accomplish to use them both at the same time, with the left keyboard and the left monitor SuSE and with my right keyboard and right monitor Mandrake  :P  :P  :w00t: ... now I only need a spare hand and a second mouse  :w00t:  :w00t:
Hello Striker, :D The carefree days of SuSE and Mandrake, *Sigh* :( Gone forever when one discovers Slackware.

Perhaps you could print the instructions out before you start installing Gentoo.If that would make it easier for you.I tend to use intuition myself... It makes it more interesting and challenging when one tries to 'geek' their way through an install.And you may surprise yourself by what you have actually learned just by reading the other posts here.So you may already be 50% to 60% aware of what you need to know.Best of Luck.
Heheheheh.... Ozi, you completely misunderstand. :PThe install of Gentoo is not so much of an install, as it is a compiling of most everything on your system. This takes a VERY long time. I get frustrated without internet very quickly. Soooo, it is not the directions, or the compiling, or anything but the time that I will be offline that would be the problem..... :w00t:<grumbling> I need to get the other computer working again</grumbling>

OziI would love to see you "geek" your way through a Gentoo install. Here are some of the directions:#cd /mnt/gentoo#links2 -http-proxy proxy.server.com:8080 #http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/mirrors.xml#md5sum -c stage1-x86-2004.2.tar.bz2.md5#tar -xvjpf stage?-*.tar.bz2#ls /mnt/cdrom/snapshots#tar -xvjf /mnt/cdrom/snapshots/portage-20040710.tar.bz2 -C /mnt/gentoo/usr# mkdir /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/distfiles# cp /mnt/cdrom/distfiles/* /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/distfiles/# nano -w /mnt/gentoo/etc/make.confAt this point you are about ready to install the base system ;)# mirrorselect -a -s4 -o | grep 'GENTOO_MIRRORS=' >> /mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf# cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf# mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash# env-update# source /etc/profile# emerge --sync# less /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc# nano -w /etc/make.conf# cd /usr/portage# scripts/bootstrap.sh -f# cd /usr/portage# scripts/bootstrap.sh # emerge systemAt this point you are ready to compile the kernel. You still don't have KDE or Gnome or any of your favorite programs like Open Office and Gimp.Go for it Ozi. Geek your way through. :rolleyes: :w00t:

Go for it Ozi. Geek your way through.
MMmmmm? Does look rather complicated, moreso than Slackware. It would be quicker to DL the Live-CD and assist that with its install rather than go through all of that to get it to work.Still!
It makes it more interesting and challenging when one tries to 'geek' their way through an install.
And stops being a 'Clown'.

OziThe live CD copies give you some files to start with but you still pretty much go through the same routine. the easy install starts at stage 3 instead of stage 1 and uses all the defaults. The harder way is to start at stage 3 and customize everything so you have a very fast efficient OS. :w00t:

The cd burner went to the walhalla last night :devil: :) ;) Have to order a new one :( But thinkin' about it : it served me three years, and I believe that's not bad, while I it served me well over those years . That may soften the pain a little. :D

At least they are not the major investment they were a few years ago. I picked up one when the sale price was so great I coul dnot pass it up. Then again, most folks simply go with a DVD burner now that does both Cds and DVDs. Even those are only about 1/3 of the price they were three years ago..... ;)Think of it as an opportunity to upgrade without guilt. ;)

Well, the system is running ok until now. I tried the new Aurox 10.0.1 ... it acted very weird in that it hangs during install on gal and something, the md5 was correct and the disc was tested. Tried 4 times to no avail, so it made a nice frisby :lol: Then I tried Alt Linux Junior 2.2 ... what a mess it showed, it almost screwed the system but I know how to handle it by now. It simply refused to install a bootloader to a floppy, no mention anywhere about maybe a 1.7MB floppy format, then it trashed the mbr on hda1 ( :lol: no problem, got it corrected again), the 3rd install it did install a bootloader to the floppy (dunno how but this time he did it) but also to the mbr of hda 1 (????)...couldn't start anything now, so another restoration of the mbr was in order.Then I got it managed to only write a bootloader to the root in which it was installed on, but mandrake 10 was able to start it and then : nothing.So that was another ufo flying out of the window, it almost hit the neighbours head when he was coming out of his little greenhouse B) :P So I had to go out there and offer him my appologies and a nice big cigar :medic: Coming week I think all that rests me is Slackware ... :devil:

:P Hi Martin,That's what I thought when I was posting and saw you perusing the forums, I thought "when Martin sees this, he's gonna react on this" ... and I was right.Next week will come and I'll may be having a look at it.

Posting from Linare Professional 2 (Shrek) now with Mozilla.All distros are installed now and functioning although there are the usual little glitches here and there.But all are working ok and no weird malbehaviours until now. I managed to get all distros started from a single boot floppy.These are the distros currently installed :-Mandrake 10 Official-SimplyMepis 2004.01-PCLinuxOS-P7-Libranet 2.8.1-Knoppix 3.6-Linare Professional 2-SuSE 9.1 ProThat will be enough to play with the coming time. Now on to the usual tweak/tune and update rounds and see what brings that.BTW : Linare had a unusual installing procedure in that it simply installed without almost any user intervention, it did only ask which partition to be used,format that partition y or n and the root password, which I typed in correctly but then after initial install I couldn' t log in.I believe this may be due to the kickstart file which was also on the cd...So I might in future pull off those files from the cd,edit this kickstart file and then put all the files back on a new cd.So I had to enter my tricks box to get in there but unfortunately mistyped a password,so a reinstall was in order. <_< After that I was able to get in there and do the usual tweaks and that sort of things. Starts real fast . Looks very candy-isch, - not everyone likes that including yours truly - and almost acts like a windoze clone if you ask me.Even the konsole is renamed as "command prompt" and kedit as "Notepad" :thumbsup: The trashcan icon stays filled whether there is something in the trashcan or not...Will have a deeper look into it tonight. I' m also using this week to prepare the promised review of this install party.

Well it does look like Linare is easy to install . . . but they shout sort out the problems you have after the install if they want to climb the hilist at Distrowatch ;):rolleyes: Bruno

your right Bruno.To my knowledge - when I looked at which files synaptic was getting to update the distro - it is a Fedora Core 2 clone or something the like, licked with a can of high gloss solid paint and with renamed applications to attrack windows users to make the plounge.As such I think it's fairly complete, but maybe as a poweruser you definitely want something more. But alas, it all fits on one single cd freely downloadable. Of course you can pay the official pack for $40 ...Another weird phenomen I encountered : when you try to choose another style, apply it and decide you don' t like that, there' s no way to get the initial linare style back.You're left with a sort of broken panel styling.That' s a quick way to extort a reinstall.Don' t know if I will have this one installed more than 2 days, digging into synaptic now to have a peek under the hood there.UPDATE :1] the trashcan problem is solved now due to a synaptic upgrade : don' t ask me which package got upgraded.2] much of the upgrades in synaptic won' t get installed (they will get retrieved though) because of specific Linare files conflicting with these packages.Until now I' ve got 83 of these packages un-upgradable although there are upgrades available for them.3] enabling transparency on the panel results in a fatal IO error (kicker)4] after I used Evolution to retrieve some mails,then exiting Evolution after I've read those mails, I wanted to shutdown the computer.Then there were a bunch of error messages on the screen like these :-evolution 3869:camel-WARNING [5 times]-QClipboard:set data error-ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(),pid 3818-3821 and 3833, resp. errorno 29,0 and 0.Very nice, indeed.

Edited by striker

removed Linare from the system. Actually it was not bad looking at all,all you need is there to get your work done, but there were to many weird things/abnormalities and error messages.Besides that the installer is good for a beginner who likes to dump windows, but forcing a kickstart file upon a user and leaving him or her without any option of what gets installed where is a very bad idea. When I may say once : "it just really sucks." Please be aware though that this is my personal meaning, your mileage may vary. Maybe this one is all you need, install it, point to what you want and off you go.Simple as that. But this one is definitely not for me.

Thanks for the feedback. That does not sound like something I want to mess with. I want to decide almost everything as far as what is installed it seems.

Playing with Lormalinux 5 since two days now.Looks and acts positively.Might be the replacement for my initial Linare distro. Will see how it goes on with updating the rest of it (until now all went well, was even capable of getting some extra packages for it and all installed beautifully) and will see if all does work like it should.Got the printer functioning (Canon i560) last night. :P Will report later on in more completeness.

I' m having a heck of a time with it, everything I wanted I could get in working order, except...that darned scanner B) It just works fine as root but as user... ;) no way ! I tried everything I could come up with, it just doesn' t want to let me use it. :D I updated the distro to everything I could get, that functions ok.But as user it just keeps telling me " no devices availlable" :) while in fact the scanner IS availlable. I know, got something to do with authorizations, but until now I can' t get that squared piece of glass to work. :D I will tame that beast however,even if it takes me 6 weeks to do so, that' s in fact one of the only glitches in this distro I encountered thus far. So I will not give this one up for that one little minor stupidity.

:harhar: :D PROBLEM SOLVED ! Today I sqeezed the heck out of the config files in LormaLinux 5; My problem was to be able to use the Epson scanner as root, but not as user.So I did install usbview and opened it up.Much to my surprise the usb printer was recognized in there and working ok, but the scanner was in there too but marked red.So I did
# /sbin/lsusbBus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000Bus 002 Device 002: ID 04a9:1086 Canon, Inc.Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000Bus 001 Device 003: ID 08e6:0430 Gemplus GemPC430 SmartCard ReaderBus 001 Device 002: ID 04b8:010c Seiko Epson Corp. Perfection 640Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

and had a peek at the output (see above) : so the scanner was there and even got recognized.So it was clear to me it had something to do with permissions.I then did a lot of searching on the net, but the lormalinux forums did not get me any further in the right direction. I then perused the fedora forums (lormalinux is a fedora core 2 clone) and after a 2 hours lurkin' around there I digged up some postings which described more problems with usb connections, like digital cameras and printers.Then there was a post from a guy (if I remember well his name was Dennis?) which described a way how he managed to get his Agfa Snapscan scanner working in fedora as user, without first unplugging it and then replug it.That was what I was after, so I copied the posting and printed it out.I then did exactly what he described, mainly editing the /etc/security/console.perms file. In there is a line "<scanner>=/dev/scanner /dev/usb/scanner*" (without the quotes) to which I added "/proc/bus/usb/00*/00*" (without the quotes), so it now looks like

<scanner>=/dev/scanner /dev/usb/scanner* /proc/bus/usb/00*/00*

Then in the section #permission definitions there's this line :

<console> 0600 <scanner> 0600 root

which I changed to

<console> 0666 <scanner> 0600 root

Then I restarted the computer,logged in as user and ... wam ! , there it was : Sane, opening up and fully functional.Made a testscan and all was functioning like it should have done from the beginning.So a happy ending after all, and it actually took me less than six weeks... :sweatingbullets:

Thanks, but the compliments are for "Dennis" ... he was the detective and did the hard work, I just had to follow. BTW : tomorrow my new cd-writer will arrive. (the old one went up in smoke for burning all those distros :sweatingbullets: :harhar: :D )

The new cd writer is in the system now.SuSE detected it immediately and offered to configure it.Next week I hope to get my hands on the new knoppix 3.7 and I' m planning to upgrade SimplyMepis to the latest version availlable.