hard disk free to install

striker

played around with the strange trash icon in SuSE. Tried as root to change it to normal trash icon in which I succeeded. As user I then moved a dummy text file to the trashcan, then all of a sudden the strange trash icon reappeared again,replacing my new trash icon. Instead of the trash icon it shows the show desktop icon which also resides on the taskbar.Something must got corrupt during the ftp install I believe.Anybody got a clue?

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• striker

• Ozidave

• teacher

• Bruno

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you have an icon set with an empty and filled trash can icons. You can go to KDE - Look and Feel - and choose an icon set that pleases you. B)

The trash are 2 different icons . . not even called .png or .xpm . . . . here are the ones in Mandrake:/usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/scalable/filesystems/trashcan_empty.svgz/usr/share/icons/crystalsvg/scalable/filesystems/trashcan_full.svgzNOTE: they are located in "filesystems" !!!( and the change can be done . . . I remember doing it a few years ago, it was not easy but got it done )B) Bruno

Hi Striker,Re the 'Trashcan'I had a play with this, changed the icons a couple of times, and it appears to work Ok! Using Konqueror, And assuming this 'Funny Icon' is 'still' the Trashcan. (Trash.Directory)Goto Desktop / (Funny Icon) R'click / preview in FSviewpart / click Ok / click directory / click (top menu bar) Location / open with 'Kate' or KWrite / Change to...Icon=trashcan_fullEmptyIcon=trashcan_emptyAnd 'save' Should fix it... though you may need to do it as 'root'.You may have two Dir's in FSviewpart, just pick the 'odd' icon (should be at the bottom) and edit that one. I think you can work it out. :)PS: You could also rename it to 'Prullenbak' while you're there! :huh: B) B)I renamed mine to 'Recycle'... And Btw: I swapped 'in' the 'network' icon, it does NOT look good as a trashcan. :)

Edited by Ozidave

Thanks , will have a look into that and report back. There's more going on with SuSE but I'll keep you posted.update : while being logged in as root, the trashcan looks and acts normal, no problems. Just while logged in as user, it's different : there's always a .directory file on the desktop, which opened in Kate shows this content :[Desktop Entry]Encoding=UTF-8Type=DirectoryBgImage=Icon=desktopDon't know where this one comes from, it's not on the roots desktop. I'm beginning to believe there might be a corrupted profile or something, but how on earth did that happen?Digging deeper into it...

Edited by striker

teacherTried that to no avail.Brunotried Daves trick, see next.DaveTried your trick and that worked partially : the icon is ok now.Tried a few dummy txt files to put in the empty trashcan, then the icon gets changed to a full trashcan.Then a right click on the full trashcan > empty trash and then the trash can gets emptied and the icon replaced by the empty trash can icon. But : that strange .directory file keeps coming back on the desktop after each reboot of the system, with the same content as mentioned above. The trash can icon stays ok and the trashcan works ok now. It's just that .directory file that worries me because I can' t explain why it gets recreated every time the system boots.It shouldn't be there." Prullenbak" ...yes, that's indeed the dutch name for trashcan. But I always use the english version if I get a chance to. It's much clearer to me to understand. Maybe I spent to much time on the forums, that's why I more and more keep thinkin' english ... :huh:

Hi Striker,I think I should have added that you need to go into the 'Desktop' Directory and 'Edit' the icon... Trash I found is about the only one that you can't rename from 'Properties'. :huh: That's why I had to do it with the above process. ;)There should also be a list of 'alternative' languages in that script.Else I'm not quite sure where you're at with the above.... :(Edit: I think we were both posting at the same time... It's getting late for me today and I'll have a look at your other problem in the morning... else Bruno, Julia comes up with a fix.. B)

Edited by Ozidave

I think I should have added that you need to go into the 'Desktop' Directory and 'Edit' the icon... Trash I found is about the only one that you can't rename from 'Properties'.
Yes, I noticed that so I went into Desktop and changed it from there. (I changed the .directory file in there, just below the trash can icon.It contained the exact entries I posted (the strange .directory on the desktop), I changed it to what you posted and that did the trick.Only every reboot a .directory file gets created on the desktop and comes from I don' t know.The icon is ok now, so that part is solved. Thanks for that, much appreciated !

[Desktop Entry]Encoding=UTF-8Type=DirectoryBgImage=Icon=desktopDon't know where this one comes from, it's not on the roots desktop. I'm beginning to believe there might be a corrupted profile or something, but how on earth did that happen?Digging deeper into it...
Looks like NO sleep tonight!I found that entry and it is from what I can see.. Just the parameters for the Desktop.Directory. From what I can work out as to why it's NOT in root... as MY root DIR only has the Trash can??I think BgImage would be 'Null' background, as it appears it could be configured with = such as = 'colour'.Other than that.. I'm just about crashed... :huh: B) Catcha Later... :) Edited by Ozidave

This is how it looks just after a fresh reboot :http://tinypic.com/atk00Kate shows the contents of that .directory file on the left of Kate, right below the trashcan.Note : if I move that .directory file to the trashcan and click ok, the trashcan gets changed back to its strange " show desktop" icon like before. To get rid of it and not to affect the trashcan icon, I have to choose " delete" .

This is how it looks just after a fresh reboot :http://tinypic.com/atk00
You know what I think it is.......... :huh: The crappy icon has created some space as a dir within the dir.... because only the trash can has a directory 'from memory'.When I found the same entry with 'view emmbedded text' ... it was a very-very small DIR entry of about 60 bytes I think...You may want to look at that.. and I'll see what you found out tomorrow. B)

This is how it looks just after a fresh reboot :http://tinypic.com/atk00Kate shows the contents of that .directory file on the left of Kate, right below the trashcan.Note : if I move that .directory file to the trashcan and click ok, the trashcan gets changed back to its strange " show desktop"  icon like before. To get rid of it and not to affect the trashcan icon, I have to choose " delete" .
Isn't there another small DIR in the bottom right-hand corner?? that actually has the script 'above' in it.The one under Trash should be 'Blue' the other one 'green'...Have a look with 'View embedded code' I think that's what it's called, as the other PC (Linux) is shut down for the night.Tommorrow I'll delete it and see what happens... :huh:

Note : if I move that .directory file to the trashcan and click ok, the trashcan gets changed back to its strange " show desktop"  icon like before. To get rid of it and not to affect the trashcan icon, I have to choose " delete" .
I believe it would be 'live' script calling an icon.. when you move it into the Trash can, (active Dir) it would rename it... but I bet something will be worked out today?I crashed last night at 8pm it's now 4am, and I've got all day (til I crash again). :w00t:I can also see there was a bit of confusion here too... I was talking about FSViewpart the 'white-space' which brings up all the coloured sections of the 'desktop'. :) and this 'little' dir is on the bottom RH corner. :thumbsup: Edited by Ozidave

Got some clients now for pc building and that sort of things, could be late tonight if I'm free to do anything, if anything. So don't count on me this evening.

Got some clients now for pc building and that sort of things, could be late tonight if I'm free to do anything, if anything. So don't count on me this evening.
It's taken an hour of messing to find it But!HERE'S your fix. :ermm: R'Click the desktop (Screen) / Click configure desktop / file icons / and take the X out of 'Show Hidden Files'........ and it should be gone! ;)And from what I can work out.. It's the 'call' routine for Kate and Kwrite when you want to 'edit' the desktop icon specs etc. :hmm: as the 'properties' only allow you to 'call' plain text editors and 'order' of preference. B) Edited by Ozidave

Good Grieve ... IT IS SOLVED ! B) :clap: :clap: :( :lol: :D ;) Thanks a million Ozi ! After tonights clients had gone I thought let's take a shower, but then again I couldn' t resist to have a peek in the forums... and lo and behold, there was your post with the final solution ! Just that simple setting, and a DOT before the word directory,I could have known it because that dot states it' s a hidden file ... I just didn' t come on that one, this is brilliant Ozi, the problem is officially solved !again thanks for your persistance . Now I' m really off for the shower and a good nights rest.Next week it' s Slackware' s turn... ;)

Yeah,I' m going to take the weekend off, need a clear head for coming week and ... 've got do download slack first and burn it to cd.

Nice to see the geeks at work! . . . Bravo Dave, you're a quick learner, a bright pupil! :DB) Bruno
:DYea! well... us 'experts' have to stick together I suppose! :clap: ;) :happyroll:But it WAS nice to help out. :lol: Now only another 9,997 things to learn about Linux, and that's just SuSE. :( B) :D

But it WAS nice to help out.  Now only another 9,997 things to learn about Linux, and that's just SuSE.
Hey Ozi ... what about BSD :angry: B) Updated Mandrake 10 Off. successfully . Drake workes ok after the updates. Was a total of 681MB of updates, the dutch mirrors didn' t work so I got them from a German one in no time. When I saw it correctly some menu items were updated / corrected. Very nice !

Hey Ozi ... what about BSD  :huh:  B)
No! No! NO!!I can get into enough trouble with SuSE... thank you very much! :P B)
Updated Mandrake 10 Off. successfully . Drake works ok after the updates. Was a total of 681MB of updates, the Dutch mirrors didn' t work so I got them from a German one in no time. When I saw it correctly some menu items were updated / corrected. Very nice !
Glad to see it's working out smoothly so far.... I hope the same goes for the rest of them. :angry:

Oct 2nd * Next week it' s Slackware' s turn... Oct 2nd * I' m going to take the weekend off, need a clear head for coming week and ... I've got do download slack first and burn it to cd. Oct 2nd * Updated Mandrake 10 Off. successfully.
Which weekend? :angry:

I believe it is this weekend! It might say Oct 2 on your browser but those posts said Oct 1 on mine. If you are going to be half a day ahead of a lot of us you have to translate times in your mind...... It took me a while to figure out why you were posting birthday greetings the night before and then I remembered the time difference. :angry:

I believe it is this weekend!  It might say Oct 2 on your browser but those posts said Oct 1 on mine.  If you are going to be half a day ahead of a lot of us you have to translate times in your mind......  It took me a while to figure out why you were posting birthday greetings the night before and then I remembered the time difference. :)
B) :P >_< :'( :angry: B) :huh:

Ozi!Welcome to the wide world web or whatever it is. It does get confusing keeping track of who lives where and what time it is there. Striker sure has a nice little graphic there. Then again I think some of us live "in the land of it's always time for linux - no matter what time of day or night it happens to be! " ;) Isn't it great!