hard disk free to install

striker

OziYou are going to wait until you are 60? That's a long time. If you think it is a lot of updates, compare it to windows from once you install it. They are about the same. The biggest difference bewteeen the two is you have all these different options to choose from. It is kind of like a kid in a candy store, if you try to much you will end up with a tummy ache. I am thankful I don't have to wrory about viruses and the like on my home computer. Nor do I need to keep buying this package and that to have it set up the way I wnat. It is just there.....If you had that one that worked sweet, why mess with all the others. If it is not fun for you then don't do it!

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• striker

• Ozidave

• teacher

• Bruno

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think the Swiss Army Knife" distro ends up being in the eye of the beholder. I seem to have settled in on Mandrake, SuSe and SimplyMepis...but my systems needs may be different from yours....I tend to agree that there are probably to many distro's out there...but they all interoperate.(at least the ones I have tried do). For me, Linux is my primary OS not the alternative...(and if it weren't for work..Windows would be very back-burner) the 56K modem issue is very real and updates can be frustrating with any OS...But the OS world is dynamic..and will remain so..as each maker strives to be the cutting(Bleeding?)edge. Along with anything that makes them stand out(this has a good and a bad side)...I view it as no OS is ever finished..either hardware leaves it behind...or the applications that ride it do.The multi-platform issues people state about Linux I have had with Windows (especially older platforms..is it WinME, 98(SE or not to SE)95,3.11,XP.NT?)I think this will be an issue for all OS's as systems advanceStriker, your issue with Mandrake sounds like me and my Redhat/Fedora pain...not sure what it is...I hear others rave about fedora, go try it..then it falls apart...so Fedora and I just aren't meant to be >_< :hmm: Ease on install:..Most people will not dual boot, so half the process (from what I've read is setting up the dual boot) So from a single OS install point of view,,Linux is just as easy(IMO) process wise as windows. I can have SimplyMepis fully going in 25 Minutes(SuSE in 45, Mandrake in 30.(The cheat factor is I have broadband..so the updates are quicker after the install)..The area I see confusion are the terms used. C drive...va Hda etc etc. root./Adminstrator User/User ..But I do have to agree with Ozi...Most people will not step outside their comfort zones(heck most won't even update their 'comfort zone") and will stay with whatever works for them...and that's cool too..isn't that what choice is about?

If you had that one that worked sweet, why mess with all the others.  If it is not fun for you then don't do it!
Hi Julia,Yep! you're right about the candy.. but I stopped 'messing' with all of the others a while back and was just concentrating on SuSE and enjoying it; And knowing that I could avoid a lot of scumware by continuing to use it... :hmm: You might want to read my next post to Striker as I had written it Off-Line before I saw this one. :D But! it IS taking a LOT of my time... and I am neglecting a few other things. :( And DON'T tell me not to do so much of it at once.... :D it's like an Opiate... :lol: Best left alone for a while methinks. o:) so that I can get back to normal, build up strength and do it all over again. ;) >_<

There's a normal life too and of course the family. And then there was linux...if you don't separate those into workable proportions, you'll need 30 hours a day.
Hi Striker,No! it's not that really (yes it is), :D I always used Dos and Dos-based programmes for everything I ever wanted to do and I had no need for W*** (as you call it) to do anything with, other than when I was FORCED to use it. To me it was unpalatable and a toy. >_< The first and ONLY W*** that I ever used was W3.1 and was still being FORCED to use it up to twelve months ago... Then the Old! 486 C.R.A.S.H.E.D good-and-proper so we gave it and Dos a sad send-off. W3.1 wasn't missed so that just went in the bin. ;) When I bought this PC I insisted that I wanted W98 as that was the last Version that actually shelled out to DOS. So! I'm no stranger to Command-Line operating systems. But I lost that argument too, as most of the Dos stuff I was using would run under the Command-Line option in XP. Besides that, they would only 'Supply' 98 with NO support. (Anything for the 'Sale'). :hmm: Four months after I bought this PC I was forced onto the Web (as it never held any interest for me) for updates and everything else you HAD to get on the Web for, and since then I have had a L.O.T. to learn and have spent many sleepless nights doing it. :D And along comes Linux... OH! NO! a command-line based application that I would enjoy learning!! MORE sleepless nights.. GREAT! No more regular-lifestyle... GREAT! etc, etc. :( :D :w00t: BUT! there are still a LOT of things I don't know about W** either, so all I really did was to ADD what I don't know about W** to What I don't know about Linux... and brother! that is a L.O.N.G. list of "Things-I-Don't-Know-Anything-About". :lol: Also, the Swiss-Knife (um! er! Maid) never usually complains about much.. but there have been rumblings in the background about my eating and sleeping habits of late.. and as those rumblings have the potential to build into a full-blown Hurricane, something had to go before It was me. Being caught up in the storm-and-tempest of 'a neglected woman' does not appeal to me as being one of my favourite places to be. :lol: So my NEW! mistress, aka 'Linux' was shelled-out back to CD. That halved my long-long-list of what I don't know anything about. And peace will reign once more in this house, and the angels will sing in harmony, and LIFE will be NORMAL!.... If only for a very-short *short* time. :lol: :P :w00t: o:) ;)

I can have SimplyMepis fully going in 25 Minutes, SuSE in 45, Mandrake in 30
Remember the 'Addiction' thing Barry? >_< 15 Minutes was just long enough for me to get the back lawn mowed, and 25, to do the front one. I'm just glad some of them used to take that long!! o:) ;) So I had it REAL bad.... :lol: :PI only took it off this morning, and am having withdrawal symptoms already! :hmm: :D

I only took it off this morning, and am having withdrawal symptoms already!
You poor Ozi >_< :hmm: Dave, you've got a talent to put it in those words. I would say "don't go to war with a boat if you're gonna meet a warship !" , in other words we have to respect your decision, and as far as I can tell it was a wise one. I almost do not dare to ask a (for now) last question... how about turning the beloved one into linux? (shall I go and seek shelter?) :lol:

don't go to war with a boat if you're gonna meet a warship !
Or "don't take a knife to a gun-fight"... o:)
how about turning the beloved one into linux?
I think I'd have more chance of turning her into stone at this moment. :lol: The eldest son is getting married next month.. and mother has focused her attention toward that at the moment.. As usual they can never get their priorities right. ;) What's a wedding... when there's Linux. :hmm: And to keep this thread on-track!.... Linux going on the new drive OK? >_<

And to keep this thread on-track!.... Linux going on the new drive OK? >_<
And from one of the moderators: :hmm: Hmm. What a decision you had to make. I just chomped at the bit this weekend while staying at a friend's house and the visiting brother-in-law was tieing up the computer for hours to play solitaire. i wanted to go find a deck of cards and suggest he move to the dining room table so I could check the forum. :lol: I did practice restraint though. Here's to peace in the family. It really is more important than a distro...... or two or ten....

LOL...I can sure understand the addiction thing >_< I even put Suse on my work computer so I wouldn't go into daily withdrawl...My wife was to the point of getting me a timer..."You can play with linux on alternating Fridays after a tropical Storm during election years ;) ...My answer was to load her computer up with linux...so she dropped the election year part o:) I almost think Linux distros has a habit of linking up with personalities of the people that own the system regardless of the system. It almost become a " need to know, what you don't know" :lol: (Ok, maybe that's me...the scarey part is the more I learn, the more there is I don't know...the more I try to learn...Oh Man Am I in a cycle..... :hmm: )But setting in on a target distro is good...though..when I check Distro Watch....there's a new or updated Distro ...the Mind goes..................Hmmmm :drooling:But back to Topic...Linux on the new drive sounds like A winner :D

the visiting brother-in-law was tying up the computer for hours to play solitaire.  I wanted to go find a deck of cards and suggest he move to the dining room table so I could check the forum.
Should have dealt yourself in... You would have beaten him >_< And then being a Male he would have probably got the sulks and gone home! :lol: Then you would have had the Computer to yourself. o:) ;)
It really is more important than a distro...... or two or ten
(On-Track reply) Yes there are a lot of 'Distro's, especially Linux ones? :hmm:

My wife was to the point of getting me a timer..."You can play with linux on alternating Fridays after a tropical Storm during election years.
Wives are like nurses.... recognise the symptoms... hopeless at curing the problem. o:) Come to think of it... What Linuxoholic WANT'S to be cured?. Two Distro's, twice a day is NOT too many.But! like all treatment.. you shouldn't mix different Distro's together or have too many at once! >_< (On-Topic reply) Tell your wife that you will ONLY 'play' with Linux from here-on-in, ONLY on days that end in 'Y' any other days you will devote entirely to her.See how you get on... :lol: :hmm:

(On-Topic reply) Tell your wife that you will ONLY 'play' with Linux from here-on-in, ONLY on days that end in 'Y' any other days you will devote entirely to her.See how you get on... :hmm:  >_<
I'm not near that Brave :lol: o:) ;)

Just installed Libranet 2.8.1 , posting from it now using Mozilla. Installing was a snap using text mode install. Everything hooked up on the machine was detected perfectly,network setup was easy.Configured my first printer automagically, the second and main printer is a somewhat difficult printer in linux land (Canon i560) but for that I mostly use the S630 driver which works very good and is supplied with most distros.I set it up manually in the Adminmenu. Did a test print and it came out splendid.Perused the k-menu and was overwhelmed with what got installed...I manually selected most packages but there are for more in here. display was set up ok, as usual I had to do a modeline which also was a snap. Man, this looks very good. I have to give this baby a thorough test drive tomorrow after the nights rest, it's 00.20 over here, so I' m hitting the sack for now. But for now this install was beyond my expectations. I' ll have a deeper look into it and under the hood tomorrow. This thing rocks ! :rolleyes: :D :D

Just installed Libranet 2.8.1 , posting from it now using Mozilla. Installing was a snap using text mode install. Everything hooked up on the machine was detected perfectly,network setup was easy.
Congrats on a pleasing install Striker. It's nice to get a *WIN* now and again. :D I know I should NOT even ask this question for fear of the compulsive addiction that will flare up! :rolleyes: Is this 'Slackware type Linux' :harhar: or more like 'SuSE type Linux'?? :harhar: :D

Actually Ozi..it more a Debian..BTW you ought to see SuSE w/ KDE 3.3 :harhar:
Again I have been embarrassed by my ignorance! :rolleyes: What is Debian? :D and does it need a lot of BASH and su type commands etc. to install it? or is it 'like' SuSE... simple to install and use?I'm the 'New-Kid'... remember. :harhar: Also, SuSE 9.1 is it still the latest??? and KDE 3.3 is JUST an update Desktop Environment to 9.1 I presume???? :harhar: :D

Actualy It's Debian based(Debain itself can be a real bear to install) but Libranet is pretty easy to install, so is SimplyMepis(which is also a live CD)Both are as easy or easier than Suse ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributi...PIS-2004.02.isoYes SuSE 9.1 is the most current..Yes KDE 3.3 is a window manager..the newest in the kde line( Sorry forgot about you on 56K..that might take a bit of time),,but the down and dirty way with YAST is as follows1. http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/ftp/int_mirrors.html. Find a mirror near you. Copy the URL.2. Open YaST. Go to "Change source of installation".3. Click on "Add->FTP...".4. Paste the URL you copied in step 1. For example, the mirror I use is 'mirror.mcs.anl.gov'...Don't add the ' marks5. Paste the directory path to the supplementary sources. For example, I use '/pub/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_9.1/yast-source/',,,,Don't add the ' markspub/suse/x86_64/supplementary/KDE/update_for_9.1/yast-source...for us AMD64 usersMake sure anoymous is clickedYaST will check to make sure the source is good and then it will add it to the list. Click 'Finish' and you should be good to go. The next time you add/remove software, it will check that source and show anything new. The ones that can be updated will appear blue..click in the box to the left of the package..if you have it install already it will be checked..click and it will turn into a green circle with a lighting bolt or a trash can...You WANT THE BOLT...run through all the packages just to make sure you got them all,,,click accept...and go do something else for awhile,,, I rebooted mine..and had kde 3.3 when I started again

But for now this install was beyond my expectations. I' ll have a deeper look into it and under the hood tomorrow. This thing rocks !
Hi Striker,And?? How does Libranet compare to SuSE? :devil:Barry has got me on 56k for some reason, But my BROADBAND ADSL is getting hungry for an .ISO D/L and I um!, er! f-disked a 50G partion this morning, and it's pretty naked at the moment and looking for something to 'Wear'. :D Any um!........ recommendations forthcoming? :D :rolleyes:

Yikes, OZI not sure how I thought you had dial-up :rolleyes: But in casehttp://public.planetmirror.com/pub/libranet/2.8.1/You really can't go wrong either way,,,from their siteThis is the full edition of Libranet 2.8.1.Feel free to use it as long as you like on as many machines as you wish. We hope you will enjoy using Libranet. To register - use the registration number 2810000There is no support for the trial download version other than the install guide and the Libranet support solutions database. Join the discussion at the Libranet forum

Hi Dave,This morning after breakfast I had a quick peek in the forums and saw your post and Barry's reply. Ok, Libranet seems to be ok on my rig but ymmv.To the install : it's mostly text based, further more down the install it gets changed to graphical mode. Regarding your question "compared to SuSE " : I like the graphical representation of SuSE more, it's a bit more appealing to my eyes, but... Libranet 2.8.1 is a bit older and uses a slightly older kernel.But if that would be all to base a decision on that wouldn't be fair.I've simply not had enough time to get really deep into it, but from what I saw until now everything worked flawlessly on my machine,even the fonts were good enough to work with,display was ok out of the box.I had to use a modeline to correct some screen settings for my monitor, maybe you don't even need that. (In almost every distro I need to do that, but it's a snap to set it up.)Mozilla is in it,Opera,Netscape,kMail,Evolution,Sylpheed,kEdit,Gedit,Open Office, you name it...the usual things you might use in everydays usage.I did download the instalguide.pdf file and studied that a bit before I even started the install.I did text mode install before, but I don't know about you, so the install guide might come in handy.Better safe than sorry, so just get it too, if I remember correctly it was only 122k and there even was a printer friendly one, which I did not download because regarding the file size it might come without pictures. In the install there are 2 little pitfalls imho, but read the little install manual good and move it to your second rig : that way during install you can have a look into the installguide when the need to do so arises and again read thoroughly what's in there.It's a very well layed out guide and right to the point.In fact nothing can go wrong. The only thing I missed was a lilo option for the bootloader, libranet uses grub by default, and I'm more a lilo person. But lilo can be added afterwards according to their forums. And yes, Libranet is Debian based. In one of the previous posts above I mentioned something about Redhat based distros, Mandrake based ones and Debian based ones.Aurox for ex. is a Redhat based one, which I may be trying in the next few days if I'm not sneekily hit by a mosquito or something; I know for my machine that Debian based ones and Redhat based ones almost always install fine,run ok and don't give me any huge problems.Mandrake based ones o.t.o.h are mostly problematic on this machine, so therefore I avoid them often. (Mandrake 9.1 was an exception, it just runs fine.) What's in it, in Libranet ? Well, the usual sort of packages, but there's more.You'll have to go in details mode during install to see what I mean.But remember, this distro is not the latest and greatest, certainly not in comparison to SuSE 9.1 Pro, but on this beastie it just rocks, like SuSE does.That's all I can say at this short moment, you could wait on some more info but as I already said a few times, install it and see for yourself how it performs on your machine with your hardware in your environment. It didn't smoke my machine and I'm enthousiastic about it. I do not know right now if this one is going to be my main distro instead of SuSE, it's too early to tell. I mean it looks that good after all I went through already, but I haven't had the change yet to seriously peek under the hood...that will have to wait when I have some more time.I'm busy at the moment in and around the house,painting, and the wife's not well, so I have to take it easy a bit until I know what's going on with her. (no, nothing dramatic I hope but you'll never know.)

Edited by striker

Hi Striker,Firstly, I hope the Lady of the Manor has nothing serious wrong with her, and I'm sorry to see that she is not well.. Speedy recovery to her so she can get back to giving you a hard time.. or just keep you on your toes ;) Yes, I did D/L the .pdf file for a look and decided that I could do without it... Not that it looked toooo complicated, just that if I was advising someone 'new' to install Linux, that wouldn't be one of them. :hmm: I did find cfdisk and some of the GUI formatting a little difficult when I started, for fear of deleting 'everything' on the drive.. but after practising on a cleanskin it soon became easy.So! SuSE is my first choice... It's clean, installs easily and is well catered for with auto-updates using YaST; what else would a novice want? o:) And as for all the packages that come with Libranet and the 'others', are they not also available for SuSE and 'its' Kernel etc?. So it would just be a matter of getting them... I did that with Mozilla and Lame's Mp3 codec etc. That in itself keeps SuSE to one CD, so if anyone was going to complain about the few extras to D/L... I would now suggest to them that a 100Mb is a long way short of another 680Mb.iso, just for a desktop environment :D I know one thing... I still have a long way to go with Linux, but on the other hand I have NO ambition to be an expert at it... SuSE is good for that, and about the level I would like to stay at.Matter of fact, I'm using it NOW.. typing this to you. Yes.. the addiction took over and was reinforced by all the Virus and Trojan problems I've been reading about in W*****'s. So what chance did I have to resist it??. o:) o:) Now all I have to do, should I have some questions, is to start another thread on Ozi-and-SuSE..... BUT! there are two people I would NOT like to see respond there, and that's Barry and Myself.... We're too disruptive! o:) o:) o:) o:) :huh: :D o:) o:)

24 hours!!!!Sorry doc, he is hopelessly addicted. He had the 24 hour windows bug but it did not take over his system. He found that he could not resist the Linux disease. After only 24 hours he finds himself back in Linux but possibly taking a slow approach with only one distro. o:) It had to be. We knew he was hopelessly addicted, didn't we Barry? There is no use fighting it as you now see. You notice we did not spend a lot of time trying to convince you not to dump it. We knew you would be back shortly. We did think you could fight the urge a little longer than that. Oh well. We know an addict when we see one. :D o:) ;happyroll; o:) o:) :huh:

24 hours!!!!
Hi Julia,Yep! 24hrs.. I was up until 2am this morning messing on these forums. It was then that I realised.... It's NOT Linux is my problem...It's these forums! o:) :huh: So I stopped blaming SuSE and put her ON again... o:) :D

Disruptive? WHO ...Me? o:)
Let me just check a few posts back,Nup... yep.... Nup.... yep.... yep.... Nup.... yep.... yep.... yep!Sorry! the Yep's win. :D You know Barry, I got to thinking last night that I hope Striker has a great sense of humour.... because we haven't helped very much, apart from being a distraction to his problems!And shortly he looks like he may have his problem licked.. :DSO WHEN THAT HAPPENS! WHO CAN WE GO TO HELP NEXTNOW! I gotta go!!!! and find some cover... o:) o:) :huh: Edited by Ozidave

24 hours!!!!
Hi Julia,Yep! 24hrs.. I was up until 2am this morning messing on these forums. It was then that I realised.... It's NOT Linux is my problem...It's these forums! o:) :huh: So I stopped blaming SuSE and put her ON again... o:) :D
I suspected that was your real problem - forum addiction. Watch out - if you get too addicted they make you a moderator so you can justify your addiction. o:)

Firstly, I hope the Lady of the Manor has nothing serious wrong with her, and I'm sorry to see that she is not well.. Speedy recovery to her so she can get back to giving you a hard time.. or just keep you on your toes.
It turned out to be a carpal syndrome which causes the "Lady of the Manor" thinkin'of an approaching cerebral hemorrhage :lol: So we both got scared when she told me so I ordered a doc's appointment right away with the above result. She has probably to go to hospital in one of the coming weeks if it doesn't get any better,but in that case it will be a polyclinicals job. Thanks for the wishes and the interest. Good to be among friends.Regarding Libranet / Dave :So you grabbed a copy of it and got it installed, that's very good.What's even better is you seeing back in linux land :devil: :lol: Now could you tell us what your opinion is of Libranet ?Do you like it or is it not your cup of beer, how did it install?

Carpel Tunnel. . . . Such fun stuff. If they do the surgery (which is a piece of cake) she will have a few weeks of not being able to use which ever hand they do. It is amazing how handicapped you become when you can not use one hand or the other. Hope it gets better without surgery but if they do surgery just remember that after about a month it will be wonderful once again. :lol:

24 hours!!!!
Hi Julia,Yep! 24hrs.. I was up until 2am this morning messing on these forums. It was then that I realised.... It's NOT Linux is my problem...It's these forums! :lol: :lol: So I stopped blaming SuSE and put her ON again... :worthy: :lol:
Oooooo . . Noooo . . . he's back !!! :P :o :o :P :PHi Ozi Mate ! Welcome to the ATL :devil::happyrollsick::worthy: Bruno