• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• Bruno

• quint

• GolfProRM

Top Posters In This Topic

I can pull up the newsletter fine but when I click on login on the forum it crashes! Bruno - this is getting rather late for you! I appreciate your staying up but you really should sleep sometime! I am going to try to see if I can load the firebird directly to the Linux drive. Thanks!

NO julia the Linux Firebird is NOT the same as the windows version !Take the apps that are there now, we will see for the rest tomorrow.Where is that ***** bottle ??:D Bruno

GET YOUR UPDATES AND BUGFIXES NOW JULIA:The logo with the monitor and the little wrench on your taskbar ---> software management ---> mandrake update !Pick the last mirror from the list of updates mirrors.Download and install them ALLB) Bruno

After updating, as Bruno advises, you can check out MozillaFirebird here:MozillaFirebirdAs you scroll down, there are links for Windows, Linux, etc. as well as install directions; fairly simple, no compiling or the like - basically just extracting and then clicking. :D

Quint, will you take over ? I have to get some sleep !:D Bruno
I'll help in whatever I can...get a good rest, you deserve it. ;)

Thanks Quint, you stay on the ball will you ?It is 4.14 AM ! I¨m crashing !:D Bruno
Have a good morning! ;) Will help if I can, for sure.

I couldn't find a little monitor with a wrench. Don't know which flavor I was suppose to log in under. Maybe tomorrow night I will have a new disk to run it from. Crash and burn. Oh well, another day tomorrow (or today for Bruno).Many thanks but this kid is crashing too!

I couldn't find a little monitor with a wrench. Don't know which flavor I was suppose to log in under.  Maybe tomorrow night I will have a new disk to run it from.  Crash and burn.  Oh well, another day tomorrow (or today for Bruno).Many thanks but this kid is crashing too!
It should be a little tool icon a few spaces to the right of the "K" (equivalent of Start, in Windows). Or I'm sure it will be in the System section after you press the "K". Will probably say Control Panel, or something like that; then do as Bruno suggested - easy as pie! ;)

I think that the problems we have here boil down to the point that; you did not do a md5sum of the ISO´s so we do not know if the downloas were integer. And the CD burning problems you had make me worry too. I am already surprised we came this far with them.Because you did order the CD´s aswell, you will have 100% good CD´s as they will be delivered.We will do a new install with those CD´s, but after we juggle a bit with the partitions on the install you have now. Making more partitions and re-shuffling them is easy now that you got a GUI. For the final install we should see to it that you get a back-up partition so that every next version you install can take the old mail and settings etc. etc. from the back-up.30 G, I will come up with a partition scheme that makes sense and good use of that space.All this was quiet an adventure, felt like someone seeing his wife getting a baby, saying: puf . .push . . puf . . push . . . puf . . push, and hoping for the best ! ;) :DAnyway, you did a great job Julia, the baby looks cute and healty, but only does needs some extra care ! ;)Have to do some work first but will be back on-line later !;) Bruno

Julia,As soon as you get at your new Mandrake, will you post us how far did we get last night ?Does KDE come up ?Do you have a ¨taskbar¨ and a ¨menu¨. Did you manage to do the updates ? Can you use any other browser ? ( galeon, konqueror, mozilla )How´s with the dual-boot ? Does it give the ¨windows¨ option ?Well you know questions like that . . . :angry: Bruno

Wouldn't you like to know how far we went last night! ;) I have Mandrake running on my computer and it does dual boot. I can not do the updates because when I finally tracked down the tool I need it says it can not find the link. I can log in using the various flavors. I have played around with it some. I do get error messages in various ways. I can read Scot's Newsletter but I cannot log into the forum. That locks it up. I found things like the drawing tools (but after a day "learning" flash, I have had enough of that for a day. I think I will try to download a new image tonight. We will see how that goes. Maybe the disks will arrive in the mail some day. They probably are on a boat over the Atlantic!_________________________Practicing Patience and Tolerance

Finaly some good news !

I think I will try to download a new image tonight.
Seems like a good plan ! We can do the checksum and burn the ISO´s no problem in Linux. Much better !
They probably are on a boat over the Atlantic!
Beats swimming across !
I can read Scot's Newsletter
What more would you want :) :) ( Try the konqueror brouwser )
it says it can not find the link.
I heard that before ! there are many mirrors just not working in the US, I think Ryan said to try the last or the one just before that. Just start at the bottom and try every mirror on the list. ( or if you´re downloading new ISO´s forget the updates. )
I have Mandrake running on my computer and it does dual boot.
I could not be more HAPPY !! :) :DHave fun julia !;) Bruno

After downloading the ISO´s to your /home/julia directory:You can check the integrity of the ISO-file with the md5sum. The mirror will offer you a separate text file to download with a 128 bit string of characters. This string has to be exactly the same as the one you get when you do:< md5sum downloaded.iso > ( downoaded.iso = name of the ISO )Creating the checksum will take a few minutes.Usually I only check the first and the last 5 or 6 characters of the string !:rolleyes: Bruno

For burning your ISO:Open a console ( the little black screen icon next to the ¨K¨ from the menu, or menu -->Terminals --> Konsole )< cdrecord --scanbus > ( without the >< ) ( this will give you a 3 digit number like 0,1,0 )< cdrecord dev=0,1,0 downloaded.iso >Wait for it to finish.That´s all, then you can do the next one ! :DIf after burning you can see a lot of files and directories you´ll know your CD is fine ! ( click the /cdrom icon on your desktop, it takes some time to show ! ):rolleyes: Bruno

Let's go try that again in windows. Linux could not get past mnt without locking up. Had to reboot.

I have something labeled md5summer (windows MD5 sum generator) and MD5summer (md5 checksum container). So what do I do now?

O.K let´s go to windows !Start Nero, do NOT use the wizard ! Just the main-window from Nero and choose ¨File¨ from the menu-bar at the top and chose ¨ Burn CD image¨. That should do it.:rolleyes: Bruno

Great ! Nero is the BEST ! Hip Hip hurray for Nero !Next step:If there is any way to access the Mandrake Control Center ( screen with wrench ) without crashing, try to resize your /home partition before you do a new install. Split up your ¨/home ¨ in 10 G ¨/backup ¨ and 2 G ¨/usr ¨, and the remaining numbers of G is for ¨/home¨ , then your ¨/ ¨ could then be brought back to 2 G.So:/backup = 10 G/usr = 2 G/ = 2 G/home = whatever is left of the 30 GResizing in the GUI of the MCC is more easy then at setup !Don´t worry about mounting this will be done at the new install.Do not forget to write the new partition table !:rolleyes: Bruno

Now do I reboot the computer with the disk in and it will reinstall or do I have to do something else?

Can't do anything with the wrench. I don't have a clue. Is it in the den with the butler? :rolleyes: So, back to my question, since I can't do that, I reboot with CD in drive, and it will take me through the process?

Yes, just go ahaid, reboot from CD and go through the same routine as before.I have to go to a meeting and will be back in a few hours. Will see how far you got as I come back.:rolleyes: Bruno

Gosh, we forget that you work too! :rolleyes: I will probably be off to work when you get back. We will see how far I can muck it up on my own.

Good luck, toy toy toy, crossing my fingers throughout the meeting. If somebody asks I tell them I want to win the lottery !:rolleyes: Bruno