A few questions before I jump

teacher

Not a partition, just the free space. I did a defrag and clean up before I started downloading. I have tried every way I can think of to do the sumcheck. Didn't their use to be a dos command for this. Everytime I try the software on the site you mentioned for doing it in windows, it crashes my computer. I am about ready to skip the sumcheck?Does that qualify me for insane?

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• Bruno

• quint

• GolfProRM

Top Posters In This Topic

Julia Skip the checksum ! If your download was smooth and not interrupted we´ll take the risk !Have you got Nero ?Bruno

No but I have ISO Buster. Will that do the job or do I need to get Nero too? If so,point me in the right direction. ISO Buster is not in "teacher speak".

Iso Buster ? Don´t know that . . found it on google, supports ISO´s. .. O.K. try the first one and tell me what you see on the disk after burning ! Only one file or more of them.Note down on the disk what number it is !:lol: Bruno

Who knows what I am doing. Disk too has a boot folder and a Mandrake folder. I lost disk one. Have to go figure where I hid it. I might not have any hard drive space left by the time I keep doing this.

How about an autorun.inf, doc folder, dosutils folder, images folder, index, install pages, install text, isolinus folder, license text, mandrake folder, live update folder, misc, pkg 9 1 index, readme text, rpm gpg, version and rr move. Does that look right. I have not burned it to CD yet.

Disk 2 EXCELLENT !This is what supposed to be on disk one:6 directories: doc, dosutils, images, isolinux, mandrake, misc +12 filesDisk 3: 2 directories: applications and mandrakeB) Bruno

It extracts the program. It looks like I have to burn the image as an ISO image and then ISO buster will extract it from the CD. I have been sitting here hassling with it for half an hour. Can't figure out the help menu or settings. I can't drag the files I listed over to my CD burner. Am I just going to have to go with NERO? :lol:

Julia:Normal is: you have ISO images and as you burn them they get transformed to folders and files !This is not going the right way ! Windows will corrupt the files if they are opened in windows !Perhaps Fireburner you can get a 15 day trial version here: http://www.fireburner.com/I will check the details in the mean time.:lol: Bruno

It says it is extracting. I can't figure out how to get the files to the cd burner directory (E:). It says okay and then I don't know where they go. Playing with Fireburner now. I am afrai d my burner is dying. It sounds like a groaning motorboat. Think I am going to have to shut down and restart. It has done this before. Bad computer, bad computer!!!!

File>---Open Image File or close application.Options menu and communications means nothing.Just died in Nero. Gone to reboot.

Restart, I hope fireburner will do a better job ! It has to because in works in windows and Linux they tell me on their site !:lol: Bruno

What a drag ! are you sure you use your CD burner and not your toaster ?Did you figure out how to use FireBurner ? Burning an image ?:lol: Bruno

It is going to town right now. I slowed the speed down. I guess it thought it was a poster. Right now it says executing on Burn CD. Hope I am doing it right. Who knows? I also told it to do it file by file instead of all in one. I think.Isn't this rather late at night or should I say early in the morning for you?

It should be disk in one, what means ¨finish the disk and write the table of content on it¨ no more writing after that possible.It is late but we´ll keep trying till I fall down, NOT giving up right now !:lol: Bruno

I figured it was late....Penquin is dropping. He quit waddling on my computer. It is late enough here that I am having my evening tea as I wait. It is on track two now. I figured with the toaster problem, slow is better. I also thing Penquin needs to sleep.BTW, did you see I am a message mogul now? :lol:

I also told it to do it file by file instead of all in one.
How do you mean file by file ??? The ISO is only 1 file ! Only after burning it is more !Congrats Message Mogul !!!!!!!:lol: Bruno

Oops, it says track 1 and track 2. Not sure if I sent the same thing twice. BURN Proof: Disabled//----------------------------------------------------------------------// Test burning - no data will be written to CD//----------------------------------------------------------------------Thread1: Reading Disc InfoThread1: Setting Write ParametersThread1: Reading Next Track InfoThread1: Start LBA is 0Thread1: Processing Track 1 [Mode1] [333088 Sectors]Thread2: ExecutingDoes that say anything?

You can´t put more than 1 ISO on one disk anyway ! We´ll see.If we keep writing like this we will have a 1000 posts soon !B) Bruno

111 between us today. We have 1/3 of the posts. Scot might ban us to Outer Siberia at this rate. Call it a night. I am . It can burn and I can check on it during the night. It looks like it is about 40% of the way through since I went back to a slow speed.

Only 40% ? That is very slow speed !OK, you´re right we will continue tomorrow ! Don´t start the install before I can give you some last TIPs !Read this over twice:Change the BIOS: PnP aware OS sould be set to NO !1st Boot: CDROMBoot from your first CD.Did you read the lines I wrote about the partitioning ? ( a few posts back )Also remember : file-format ext3 is perfect !You´re on your own now, but all will be clearly indicated.Your root password is the same kind of thing as administrator in windows !As you choose the packages: choose ALL on the left side and keep the default ones that are already chosen for you on the right side.I´m crossing my fingers !Talk to you tomorrow ! ´night Julia ! B) Bruno

Guest genaldar

ISO buster is primarily for checking iso's for files or recovery files from damaged cds. It doesn't burn cds (that I know of). With cd's so cheap why not just burn them then open them in explorer and see what's listed?

Julia,After reading all this back i don´t think this will be a succes ! Burning ISO´s is not the same as burning a simple CD backup !Since you´re using software for burning that is a bit exotic to me, I gear that we are asking for troubles here.Like I wrote before: ISO´s should not be unpacked in a windows environment, it is 1 file as ISO and only during the burning it unpacks itself to folders and files.I seriously think about advising to buy the Mandrake CD¨s from a ¨CD service¨, they will send you the 3 CD´s for $5 ! If you keep on making coasters you will pay more on blank CD´s ! I´ll insert a link here: http://www.linuxcd.org/view_distro.php?id_distro=19 ( choose: Mandrake 9.1 Final. . . . .i586 . . . .$5.97 )Or on ebay, this is what Rons wrote in another thread: ¨Does anyone use ebay to purchase their distro's ? I have purchased Knoppix & Mandrake 9.1 for $5.00 ¨ We do need good CD´s to get Mandrake up and running !:D BrunoPS: The thing about Nero is; if you have not got it you will have to pay for it, that´s far more expencive than the $5 for the CD´s. Once you have Linux on your system, burning ISO´s and doing checksums will be very very easy.