A few questions before I jump

teacher

Few! I just read this post start to finish! What a marathon! Good work! I'm set on buying a new Hard Drive and ready to install the minute it gets here.Hard DriveThat look ok?
Internal hdd's are going for about $1/GB these days on sale. If you're not in a tearing hurry, hold out for that price.And, I missed out on a 80GB external USB2 selling for $99 at Circuit City a couple of weeks ago. :D

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• Bruno

• quint

• GolfProRM

Top Posters In This Topic

SonicDragon

Thanks! I really wanted dto go through Amazon though. I have $75 worth of gift certificates to there that i need to spend with in the next few months or they will expire. I also have 40 or expired stuff there, but gift certificates here in MA don't expire (or if they do, it's a really long time), so i might be able to use those too :)Your are right though... most of those are way better deals :D

Sonic,Those Maxtor´s 7200rpm are really great, got them myself and am very happy with it . . . . now the price will always be lower somewhere, even if you buy the cheapest today, tomorrow you will see an add where they sell it even cheaper.With the gift certificates you have, it does not really matter what the price is, because those certificates will be worthless in a few days/weeks . . . . Conclusion: Get yourself a nice Maxtor from Amazon ! ( at least they won´t ripp you :lol: )Let us know when the HD comes in so we can prepare a party and install a few nice distro´s.:D Bruno

Ahh, new hard drives... :D Me like hard drives. Oh yeah, what was this thread about again, dual-booting versus getting new toys? B) Anyway, I can't wait for the weekend because I have a major, cool project in the works. A friend of mine was trying to rid himself of an AMD Athlon XP 2100+ so he could get a faster processor --- so I offered to liberate it from his hands. This would be my first Athlon, heck, first AMD processor since the K6-2. So, this past weekend I picked up a shiny new ASUS A7N8X Deluxe (nVidia nForce 2 Ultra 400) board with onboard sound, video, and two onboard Ethernet Controllers. It also has onboard SATA/RAID 0/1 so I decided to splurge and get myself a Western Digital WD1200JD SATA 120 GB drive (3 year OEM warranty). The real challenge will be to get any Linux distro to install and be fast on this drive. I've done the requisite Google searches and came up with some Linux drivers and kernel patches. From what I can determine, only SuSE 8.2 Pro has SATA drivers included, so that will be my first attempt. I will keep you all posted, you hungry, voracious Penguins! B)

Peachy,This thread has seen every topic you can imagine passing through . . your hardware party fits in here very well ! :)Have fun Peachy and keep us posted ( making us all jealous ). ;)B) Bruno

Have fun Peachy and keep us posted ( making us all jealous ). B)B) Bruno
Yea..it made me jealous..but you know Julia would have said it was because of MY addiction..... B) :D

Addictions: Let's see.For the last three days I have been learning what North Carolina is going to let us teach in the next year or so. In between seminars I was running to bookstores. Went to Borders and picked up a Linux magazine and a book. Not satisfied, (I wanted the July Linux Format) I went searching for the Barnes and Noble. Five different people gave me directions and they all gave me directions to Borders instead. It only took me about 30 miles of back and forth and about an hour of driving but I found the B & N and my July Linux Format. Sat through some seminars that got a little boring so the Linux magazine kept appearing in my lap. Quizzed every state personnel person there to the 3rd degree on what I could do in Linux. I figured out a way to teach Linux and not have state tests (an independent project for students that have taken three other computer classes already). When they said in the PDA session to be careful to look at OS's when buying them for the classes I just grinned from ear to ear when they said Linux. Of course, they were trying to warn us to buy PDAs for the classes that were compatible with the computers in the classes. Had to laugh at the certification question that asked if you can dual boot into different types of operating systems :D.I'm sorry Barry. I don't seem to share your addiction! :lol: :D

Imagine Julia if you pulled up Sharp Zaurus PDA that runs linux and made some bookings and stuff.You would be person number one on seminar :D

I was so busy suppressing a laugh as they bragged about the PDAs they brought that could handle XP. It did make me think maybe it is time hubby gets a playtoy and teacher gets a newer one! :D North Carolina is abandoning keyboarding at the high school level. Instead, starting next year we get to teach voice dictation, PDAs, scanners, digital cameras, digital video, and lots of fun stuff. I think the class will switch from one of my least favorite to teach to one of my favorites. We even get to switch from teaching a standard format for everything to how to use wizards and the tools already provided. It is like they were reading my mind of what was needed. Of course, the head professor from East Carolina where I received my last master's degree was in charge of the group to rewrite everything. I had enough classes with him to know he thinks ahead instead of where you are at the moment. It was so great to see North Carolina taking this gigantic step forward! Of course, we will not discuss the funding cuts that took place and the federal initiatives in the works. Some senators think vocational classes still teach how to make an apron or build a bird house. :lol:

It's great to see such excitement Sonic. Just let us know when the install party will be held and watch for the crowd to gather. Technically, if you install three distros and XP I imagine it is a little more than a dual-boot. Probably a mutli-boot. I don't know the correct terminology for a mutli-system boot. I would just pick one install and your windows and start there. Then as you feel like you have that distro under control, add another one. Don't add each one to your Lilo or Grub until you have decided whether or not it is a keeper. No need to mess up the system until you know for sure if you like the distro. After a little over two months I have Mandrake, Win, and Slack installed. Of course, in a similar time Quint has installed how many distros? Of course not all are keepers. I don't know of anyone that keeps every distro that comes along. If I wanted to, I could add a half dozen distros. I have Vector, D***Small, Blueflops, Freevix, Morphix, Mandrake and Red Hat laying around here. However, I only have Mandrake and Slack installed. No need to muck up the system until I know if it works. Vector was not a keeper for me due to the connection issues. Only you can decide which ones to keep and which to toss. Take your time with each one and make your decision whether to keep or toss based upon how well it works for you. Only you can really decide which are worth the time and effort. Don't forget: Let us know when the install party will be held! :D :lol:

SonicDragon

Thanks teach!Sorry, i deleted my post and moved to a different thread. It's called Linux and Me :) So sorry about that!I will copy and paste your responce in, so no one has to do any moving :) Feel free to delete this if u want to after its moved.

Thanks teach!Sorry, i deleted my post and moved to a different thread. It's called Linux and Me B) So sorry about that!I will copy and paste your responce in, so no one has to do any moving :lol: Feel free to delete this if u want to after its moved.
Glad to know I am not losing my mind. After I posted this I looked and looked for your post I was answering. I could not find it. I just scratched my head and wondered if I had switched threads or if you had deleted it. :D

SonicDragon

I'm not crazy I'm just a little unwellI know right now you can't tellBut stay awhile and maybe then you'll seeA different side of meI'm not crazy I'm just a little impairedI know right now you don't careBut soon enough you're gonna think of meAnd how I used to be--Matchbox 20

I'm not crazy I'm just a little unwellI know right now you can't tellBut stay awhile and maybe then you'll seeA different side of meI'm not crazy I'm just a little impairedI know right now you don't careBut soon enough you're gonna think of meAnd how I used to be--Matchbox 20
Yup! that be the theme song :wacko: :lol: :P...But I know I'm not they only one it fits around here :blink: :D :D ...I believe it could be used for almost any of of us :o

Theme songs? :blink:Do we need a theme song for Linux Addicts? What about "They are coming to take me away......" B)

• 9 months later...
WowI have a Linux desktop now!  Guess I will have to go see if I can connect!Thanks for the assistance!__________________Grateful now I can say Linux
Was that really one year ago today? :blink: How time flies by when you are having fun!It was fun to go back and look at all that were at my install party: Bruno, Quint, Nathan, Zox, Sonic, Ryan...... to name a few. When I think of how I struggled - not knowing I had a bad CD burner to get that first distro. I think since then I have had as many as a dozen distros on my computer. Today I have Mandrake 10.0, Jollix/Gentoo, PCLos6, and Suse on my computer(s). It has been a great year. Thanks to all that helped me reach this point. It is proof of what a great forum this is and how wonderful the folks are that hang out here.Julia :P

Let's start a new birthday thread!Happy One Year Birthday, Julia!!It's amazing how much one can learn in a year. I guess I should start looking for my 1 year, now.

Ahh, install parties. We hardly knew ya. It's almost anti-climatic now. Think about it; it took all of 10 minutes to install Fedora Core 2 this morning. Not much time for a party. I barely finished my coffee and realised the install was done. The advantages of DVD installs is that you don't have to swap discs! B)