A few questions before I jump

teacher

Hello World! This is my first post from Mandrake! Am I ever a happy camper. Installed easily and is up and running without any errors. Thanks to Bruno! <clapping in background> :D :huh: :rolleyes: :D _____________________________At last in Penguin Land

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• Bruno

• quint

• GolfProRM

Top Posters In This Topic

HURRAY !!See, while I did my ¨working-lunch¨ you did it all by yourself.Congratulations - Welcome in Linux paradise, Julia - :D Bruno*Dancing around his computer, opening a botle of bubbles. PS 1: First priority are the UPDATESPS 2: Now you can register at the Linux Counter :rolleyes: :huh:

I did updates this morning too! It said I was up to date. I guess I need to be pointed to the Linux counter. I know it is probably in the Tips that I have printed out but not read yet.Pass a glass of bubbly over here! Is it a good vintage? This deserves the best._______________________Doing Linux happy dance

I added the link for the Counter later in the post here above.The updates during install never do anything really major, you have to get ( +200MB ) updates with the Mandrake Control Center ( the wrench/screen icon ) --> Software Management ---> Mandrake Update.The glas of bubbly ( Bolly ) is send with UPS. :DB) Bruno

I had best luck with the last mirror site in the US list... Some of the others didn't show the updates... That's the one I've trusted. ;) Don't remember the specific address, but it's the last one in the US list...If you're using KDE, the Mandrake Control Center should be the last button along the "quicklaunch" bar... Also if you can go to "Start" -> Configuration -> MCC (should be at the bottom of the menu)

I will put that on my list for tonight. I downloaded the Linux firebird but am unsure of the steps to install. I am not familiar with the equivalents for an execute or autorun file.

The lesson we can learn from these install problems Julia had, is that burning your ISO´s under Windows is possible, but can go wrong on all kind of levels. Even when the computer boots from the CD and you get all the screen during set-up, even then, the non-integrity of the disks can cause many error messages, with the result of multiple crashes of browsers and other programs.Once the CD is properly burned, the install is smooth and without errors. Looks like Nero did the job.Result after182 posts in this thread: a happy teacher and a happy penguin.Goes to show how spoiled all of us are, when the first attempt of an install is immediately successful.Bravo Julia for holding on so fanatically !;) Bruno

I am up and running with a few questions. I am trying to install the Mozilla Firebird and I get an error saying I am missing file argument Try `mv --help' for more information.I was typing mv MozillaFirebird/usr/local/binAm I missing something?

Yes you´re missing a space between MozillaFirebird and /usr/local/bin !Watch the spaces, very important !Bruno

Just a little side-note, Julia: wait til you try out "K3b" for burning CD's. ;) Much better - imo - than even Nero; look in Bruno's Tips, for easy way to access. Congratulations on getting Mandraked. :DFSLO-1053562996-63345.jpeg

I see you got registered ! Good girl, you´re one of us now ! A real WomanDrake ! ;) :D Quint , nice iglo you have there, still studying the books are you ? ;);) Bruno

I see you got registered ! Good girl, you´re one of us now ! A real WomanDrake !  ;)  ;) Quint , nice iglo you have there, still studying the books are you ? ;):D Bruno
Yes, and ;) -ing every minute. ;) It's funny, when I used to read books on Windows, it was to feverishly try to figure out a harmful problem; with Linux, it has become enjoyable reading. :D

Quint:Linux is not just an OS it´s a passion, I know, still reading, learning every day.;) Bruno

I don't know what happened. Somewhere along the lines I skipped a step in your install firebird directions because I just could not figure it out right (the step to extract and move to the usr/local/bin. Instead I went to the MenuDrake and typed stuff in there and it worked! You never know when "stuff" will work. ;) I just listed the address by looking where it was and copying and pasting. Gee.... Common sense worked.Yes, I was a good girl and registered. My attempts to update are for naught. I get an error message saying it has to have some other file first. Oh well, there is plenty of time to get everything right.Since tomorrow is my take a class for 8 hours and then drive half an hour and stand on my feet working for another 8 hours, I think I had better not mess with it too much. I do have my e-mail, internet, and basics up and running. Next task will be the pda. Now, if I could just get quicken to work in it I would be set. I see there is a program here, but I download my bank statements daily and like the comfort of knowing exactly where my money is located ;) WomanDrake - well I learn new things every day. I will try to put together a post on my experiences before I crash. :D

So Firebird is working ! But the updates not yet ?? I do not understand what exactly you mean what went wrong but we will figure that out another time ! I guess the message was that you needed to add a source first is it not ?Good work, common sence pays of, always !;) Bruno

http://www.coolview.nl/delphi/delphi.html A very nice and easy md5sum tool. Just drag and drop any .iso file and it will give you the MD5SUM check. Compare this check sum against the check sum posted at the ftp sites. I know this works in WIN XP PRO & WIN 2K PRO. The tool is called MD5 Checksum Generator. This has been one of the most entertaining discourses, so far. There has not been one problem discussed, that I have not run into; some, more that once. :D :blink: I just love someone who is so determined. B) And, gentlemen so patient and helpfull. :D I am sorry that I have been out of town and missed this as it was developing. But, all day I have been bouncing around trying to get my Nvidia glide working and droping in to read bits and pieces of this Forum Topic. It's been a ball! :D :D

Thanks Mike, I´ll edit that link you gave in the story about checksums in The Tips for Linux Starters thread ! Great tip !And yes, it makes you think back to all the troubles you went trough yourself, when you took your first steps in Linux.That´s what makes this forum so great, all those who are willing to learn.:blink: Bruno

Also 800 Mhz will do fine ! So hardware wise you´ll be O.K. As long as you do not use dial-up, because in that case you probably need an external modem.
I hope that my fast connection will be available soon, but am relying on an internal modem right now. Will my internal modem work with Linux?

Sieb,An internal modem . . that can really be a problem ! Most of them are ¨win-modems¨ or software modems.Do you know what type and brand of internal modem we are talking about ?Here is a site with all the info on software modems and Linux.Hoping you get your broadband soon ! ( You can always configure that after the install. ) ;);) Bruno

I am afraid to look back to see when it was that I ordered the Mandrake 9.1 CDs from Linuxcd.org. They must have come over by boat. Anyway, I did finally receive them today. Just thought I would mention it in case anyone else is looking at ordering the CDs. The postmark from France is May 15. That means it took 12 days to get here! At least now I know I should have a really good copy if I need to reinstall for any reason! B)

Julia,Is LunuxCD in France ? Thought it was in the US !Well that is the last time I do recommend them . . . . . nearly took a month.How are they labeled Julia ? An official Mandrake Label or no label ?B) BrunoPS: next time CheapBites

Labeled: Mandrake 9.1 i586 with Linux CD logo and penguin then http://www.linuxcd.org. It looks simple but professional.. I asssume it is France since it says "Prioritaire" and Republique Francaise on the postage and Colomiers. While French is not really on the list of languages I try to speak, it sure looks French to me!

Julia,Well, like I said next time we order at cheapbites ! Sending CD´s from France while there are plenty around in the US !B) Bruno

• 3 weeks later...

Looking back: Here it is two - three weeks after my first Linux install. I had some problems and did a reinstall yesterday. Today I had more problems and decided to go back and repartition my drive. Did not think anything about it. I didn't even send a PM saying I was going to do it. I just went in, cleared all my partitions, auto-allocated, and then went and added another partition. No call for help. Now I am back installing my software. I won't make the mistake I made yesterday of choosing the wrong desktop. I picked gnome (who knows why, I don't) and discovered it was just not as user friendly as KDE. Or does this mean after a couple of weeks I like KDE so much I don't want to try the others?Bruno's tips for problems hae been a lifesaver though. I have learned how to walk through the Left Alt, Print Screen, RSEIUB. I am getting comfortable doing a few things from the prompt. Now if I could just learn to quit exploring until I know what I am doing. :D Not likely. It is fun to learn a new system though. I don't think I am ready to go just linux. The funny thing is it does not keep others off my computer. Teenagers are too lazy to reboot or use their own computer if mine is on and available. The response I get is "no big deal" and "it's still just a computer - It has menus just like any other gui!" What we can learn from our offspring!Anyway, a few of you had asked how I was doing so I thought I would give you this quick update at how fast old ladies can change operating systems. :D

In a few weeks yo will be doing as Quint . . . . . a new distro install every other day ! :DYou´re doing great Julia, keep at it ! Do not dump Windows completely, nobody asks you . . . . you will just find out that you will be booting Windows less and less, till the day comes you do not even remember when the last time was you saw the Windows desktop. ( and the BSOD :D ):D Bruno

I promise. I will not dump windows. I will not dump windows. I will not dump windows.I will not turn into quint. I will not turn into quint. I will not turn into quint and change operating systems every week. :D I will listen to the penguin. I will listen to the penguin. I will listen to the penguin.___________________Your Ever Obedient Teacher