A few questions before I jump

teacher

You mean I was suppose to read it, not just print it? :DHave the bios set right for booting. However, the PnP aware Bios I can not find anywhere. Would it be called something else? I have AMIBIOS for my set up.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• teacher

• Bruno

• quint

• GolfProRM

Top Posters In This Topic

the PnP aware Bios
It should say PnP aware OS ( plug and play aware )
boot to OS/2 > 64 MB set to no.
Just leave that to NOB) Bruno

I think I just ran into a show stopper. It says my windows partition is not resizable. What now?

Wait for the new drive ! That probably means you have a recovery partition at the end of the disk !;) Bruno

Somehow I knew that was the answer. I am trying again to see what it does. Oops, it just finished again and said no. I should probably have the new drive tomorrow. It was sent 2-day from California on Thursday night so it will be Tuesday at the latest._________________Now a threadhead

Lets not force things, it only brings disaster !Gives you time to read the doc´s ! Download the quick install guide from the link I gave ! Always helps to do a bit of reading before starting a new adventure !;) Bruno

Okay, I switched it to the setting to use the free space and see what happens. It tells me it is too fragmented. I guess I will pull out and quit on it for the day. I'm back in windows for now.

Once you have the new drive, you´ll have more space too, all clean 20 G !Those two days won´t kill us !;) Bruno

Okay - my screen says filesystemtype: Journalised FS: ext 3 Mount point: /Do I need to put anything there? This is my new 30G HD. It is not formatted yet.Do I want /boot, /home, /tmp, /usr, /var, /var/ft/ /far/www? My guess is boot. Am I right

No JournasledFS Ext3 for / is OK but not for the full 30G !/ should be 2 or 3 G <-------( like C: in windows )The rest should be /home <------ (like D: or E: in windows ):o Bruno

I think I see what is going on. The Windows at the top will let me go 29325 and then it says FAT32. Do I want to leave that at Fat32 or should I changeit to one of the other options like Linux native? Do I put anything for the Mount point like from my other list?

Mandrake will change that Fat automatically to Ext3 no worries. Leave the mount point to its default.You´re NOT still in windows are you ?:o Bruno

Partitions section #63 (29GB) and sector #126 (792) are overlapping. I guess this means I need to go find those and adjust the size?

No I am NOT in windows. I have this funny blue screen that says Mandrake Linux 9.1 Installation and it is on the step labeled partitioning. It is trying to figure out what to do with my new drive. Right now it has 3 G as the journalized FS and it is trying to get me to tell it what to do with the rest. I put it on FAT32 with a mount point of /home and it tellsi me I need a "true filesystem (et2/est3. reoserfs, xfs or js for this mount point. What do I tell it? :o Can I click on the auto allocate at the bottom and will it do it automatically without the knows nothing person interferring?

That is a relief !

I put it on FAT32 with a mount point of /home
That should be Ext3 ! Then you´re all right to go !Auto allocate is OK too !:o Bruno

I'm not sure I am okay now. It shows me with two /home, 1 swap, and 1 Journalised FS. Should the two /home be one? Is there an easy way to do that if that is the case? Or can I just leave it be?

The /swap is OKthe small /home should be / <------ just ¨/¨the big /home is OKB) Bruno

Good grief. I keep getting a message saying partitions sector #16128 (2.1GB) and sector #126 (24GB) are overlapping. The darn thing shows empty space as well. What am I doing wrong? I have tried the resize button and making it smaller, but that just gives me the empty space.

I would just clear the whole scheme (there's a button to do so I think) and then auto-allocate :o
BINGO!

Isn't it exciting, Teach? ;)
I don't know yet. It is kind of fun but I am also pulling my hair out. My husband moved my cheat sheet and I just now found it. It must have been him, I never would have moved it from one computer to the other! :D