Capt.Crow's woes. A thread of my linux mistakes and solutions that

Capt.Crow

securitybreach

Well I do not have a need for Emby (I use plex-media-server + roku) but I like how they list Archlinux on their installation page.

Emby is intended to be an open-source replacement for the proprietary Plex. You don't NEED Emby, but you may prefer it, depending on how you view proprietary software. If you don't mind proprietary software, stick with Plex until it no longer suits ya. If you only tolerate proprietary because there's no open source alternative, well then its time to investigate whether Emby is a suitable replacement! :w00t:

• Like 1

Yep in LFX204 there is a complete installation guide .That where I got the disastrous(for me) ubu 15.04

When the monitor started to die .I just had to give up (until I get a higher spec box)thought it was drivers at first ,then split the case and found solder creep.and a small spider web.All good now.

So now I'm trying to get Vector *soho* to boot.Lovely install all on hda1 BUT No lilo no terminal Zilch !!!

I'm having a carp year with operating systems.

The upside :- I am learning a good bit.

• Like 1

Well so far the only luck last week was that Slackware 14.01 finally let me reinstall it. Then there I was screaming round the net catching up on bits and bobs when the monitor started to die again .

Never got a chance to do me LiLo config .So its a boot stick until I get a decent flat screen to work with ,Otherwise all the rest is working really well. That should teach me no to be too flash ith the upgrades . Updates are ok but as someone on here said before if the ver you have works well don't get bogged down in upgrades. Or something like that.

This time Fluxbox is my Gui. Got a shock when it first booted .The I-F is so bare it looked corrupted . Right click menu and it's all there 'For the first time in weeks a movie played without add-ons and no glitches. Go Fluxbox. Hu--Ya--

• Like 1

Fluxbox, Openbox, Blackbox...all the *boxes (and probably include IceWM, JWM, and WindowMaker) are extremely lightweight and resource-friendly. Although just a right-click away, I find the interface extremely spartan and unproductive, although I can absolutely see why a programmer/administrator/computer tech would prefer that environment. Hadn't thought of it before, but would make a good choice for a resource-challenged server machine! Kudos Capn!

• Like 1

Sorry not to get back sooner . Somehow missed your latest post .

Update:- Still havent weaned the boot up off the usb stick. Me lazy . Then startx to flux.or any of the other boxes. WindowMaker is a little grumpy with me so far.

On the other hand I switch on xfce and have loads of stuff to learn ,then use Seamonkey for webbing .

Forgot to d/l Ghostery and for a moment panicked over the deluge of adds.

While not perfect I have streaming from Internet Archive ,movies running pretty well.

Odd that u tube is a bit bumpier . But one cannot have it all one's own way ....YET!!!

One thing is that if it wasn't for this forum I would still be Linux dumb. I read all the posts with the sponge in my head . There have been times I remember info from long gone posts that help with problems today

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
V.T. Eric Layton

Debian used to screw with my BIOS clock every time I installed it. I've never had another Linux do that on any of my systems.

• Like 1

Oddest thing Eric . I'm running Slackware. I did get a scammers e-mail in the inbox. $940.000 second prize ... :hysterical: ..Just had to have a look .Silly me.

It came from an unfinished sign up to a Free movie site .. I must pwd protect the bios ... :whistling:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Finaly got so cheesed off with the glitchy movie streaming on the old Dell optiplex that I've switched back to the HP pavillion. Faster cpu more ram. But admit that it's been upgraded to Jessie. Poor old squeeze at last gone to the IT heaven. Still using XFCE . Will not, repeat, not survive without that little mouse . My best buddie. :sorcerer: :star: :star: :star:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 64gb usb memstick. All was well with it for getting my movies routed through another friends pc /sky /etc . Until the other day when he found that it had suddenly become write protected . The only explanation I can think of is ,It was stuck in another desktop when it was formatted to take another os. Debian.So I went rooting around on the net for clues . During my search I came across "The Linux Juggernaut" It seems that this guy really has gone deep.

However I'm going to have to relearn all the basics . lsusb.chown and so on and so forth . In an attempt to open up the device so it can be loaded again with fresh movies .

Sometimes I feel realy dumb .. Soooo skwepid leaving a stick in when loading another os.

securitybreach

As long as the system recognizes the drive, you can recover it with dd 98% of the time.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX iflag=nocache oflag=direct bs=4096

Replace X with whatever drive letter is detected. Do not use the partition number, the the letter.

Warning!! This will destroy all the data on whatever device letter you point it at so be very careful you choose the right one.

After that, simply use format the drive with gparted or us this (replacing X with the drive letter):

mkdosfs -F 32 -I /dev/sdX1
  • Like 1

After that, simply use format the drive with gparted or us this (replacing X with the drive letter):

mkdosfs -F 32 -I /dev/sdX1

Standard format of a flash key form the shop is superfloppy mode ie. formatted whole disk with no partition. I use this command:

mkfs.vfat -I /dev/sdx

(upper case "i")

• Like 1

There is one really good movie on there that I didn't want to lose. There has to be a way to change the file permissions without a complete format.

Most likely have to try William Binney. :hysterical: :hysterical: .I will put a few more hours w/crawl hoping to find a soft solution . Otherwise will just formattttttttt....

• Like 1

What format is it now? vfat/fat32 doesn't use permissions so I guess it's either ext2/3/4 or ntfs. If you formatted it for Debian probably ext which you can give permissions to everyone with

chmod 777 /mount/point/of/disk

I checked a couple of usb drives I have and one has a partition and one doesn't. Either format command SB or myself will work depending what you want, ie. sdx or sdx1. However you don't need the "I" switch if you wish to format a partition.

From man mkfs.vfat -

-I It is typical for fixed disk devices to be partitioned so, by

default, you are not permitted to create a filesystem across the

entire device. mkfs.fat will complain and tell you that it refuses

to work. This is different when using MO disks. One doesn't always

need partitions on MO disks. The filesystem can go directly to the

whole disk. Under other OSes this is known as the 'superfloppy'

format. This switch will force mkfs.fat to work properly.

If it's ntfs, Arch wiki has some good info re setting permissions when mounting. It also mentions that an ntfs disk will be mounted read-only if it has errors. Ya learn something every day! :)

https://wiki.archlin...dex.php/NTFS-3G

Hold on to your seats . Last night I started to work on the flash drive . Only to find that I was really trying to influence a usb e-cig, charger. After picking my self off the floor ,found the real thing ../dev/bus/usb/001/003.Designated as Flash drive.. It took a while as there are no less than 14 slots on this box.In fact all it's short of is a nickel slot for gum. o:)

The ..lshw dont work in user nor su modes .in fact I am getting really tired of Deb again . As usual I am getting ahead of myself and not notating my efforts so will have to start afresh yet again .

Give me a three section gearbox cluster or a diesel engine and I'll strip and rebuild anyday .

One teensy weensy flash drive and I get all of a fluster :hysterical:

Oh the box is a HP Pavillion 061 .Pent4 Cpu 3800Mhz internal clock 200MHz So a tad better than the old 1.8 ...cpu

Even if the clock seems a tad slow . Should I ? maybe leave it alone for now. :alien:

• Like 1

Last night I started to work on the flash drive . Only to find that I was really trying to influence a usb e-cig, charger.
That's hilarious! I needed a laugh this morning. I'm ready to throw my desktop and netbook out the window!

• 2 months later...

Clam finds 52 suspect files but I cannot find them to delete nor comment them . It took 64 minutes to search the complete HD.

The reason for the Clam d/load and search is one of the dvd rom drives pops the tray in and out at random ad infinitum .As far as I can tell this is prank code somehow installed from a dodgy web site or a spooky d/load.

All this just three days after fitting a new sata drive to replace the old pata (which was connected to a card and not directly to the MB.)

I've never been hacked in must be 12 yrs using various Linux distros . So never really bothered with a firewall ..antivirus..Malware detection ..

It's a completely new install of Slackware 14.1 ..Updated 'upgraded ' on about half the HD size. @ 250Gb..The whole 9yards.

Needless to say I am NOT a happy chappie.

So get your security up to date for as the users of Linux multiply so do the crabs exponentially

I will eventually get to the nub of this and if the culprit can be found .There will be a lovely package winging it's way in that direction .

Take care and be lucky folks .

securitybreach

Your thinking of an old windows trojan called sub7 that let you do things like that. This is not the same thing as there are not any linux viruses actually in the wild. There are proof of concept trojans and viruses made in a lab but as far as 'in the wild', there are not any for linux (yet)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sub7

There is an old thread about this over on LQ.. Some sniping but nothing resolved . At present the power plug is out on that rom . I'll connect it up again tomorrow and see if it persists.

Maybe this is a wakeup call to get the security sorted out properly .

My main crump is my eyes start to burn after a couple of hours reading man pages .

So now I will have to start by getting a proxy up and running . I tried Tor a good while ago , but found it was really soaking up the bandwidth

securitybreach

So now I will have to start by getting a proxy up and running . I tried Tor a good while ago , but found it was really soaking up the bandwidth

That's because Tor bounces your IP between various nodes so by the way it works, Tor will always be much slower than normal traffice.

Today I finally got my old *Mojo* cell phone working on a spurious battery . Turned out that a Samsung battery almost fit . So with a little extra packing all is well. It now has 1300 instead of 1000 Mah same V etc. So plugged it into my Linux box and discovered that it's really a MediaTek MT6227 phone. Now there are some photos on there .One I specially wish to share with you . But the rub is I can find Linux listed drivers . But no actual drivers for download . I looked in driverguide .Nodevice and a whole passle of other places to no avail .

Any clue where I could try next .

So far I've got :- selection of switches for ,Mass storage,Webcam,COM port and Java connection. None of these actually connect to the ?bus? So cannot mount .