Capt.Crow's woes. A thread of my linux mistakes and solutions that

Capt.Crow

Guest LilBambi

Are you saying it's stopping in the middle of booting up? Can you take a snapshot with your phone's camera of the monitor screen where it locks and post it on imgur.com from your phone, and then put the link for the image in a posting here.

You may have installed a package when you got the 'foreign' architecture error? Meaning either literally a bad package, or a package for another language which won't work on yours?

Hi Lil, The only way I know the phone is connected to the d/top is via >>lsusb<There is nothing showing on fdisk< The phone company charge pro rata 20 bucks for 1gb. So no can afford that . But there is a way to connect via another provider for 10bucks a month unlimited. I'm not actually pushed for that at the moment.

What really needs to be done is to get the phone to handshake with the d/top so I can use the storage for the photos . manipulation u/loading etc.

I used to get it working on XP . But now running Slack . \

I'm still searching the net for the right drivers . Just cannot seem to find the right ones yet.

• 4 months later...

Well now I really have a tale of woe... For the last 48hrs I have not been able to use firefox for my usual browsing. I get a lot of certificate out of date warnings . So much so that google .Mozilla.Youtube and Microsoft sites are unusable. I have no trouble connecting to other servers .

I have used synaptic to reload and update stuff since . Also tried to get *ipkungfu* to work but cant see any changes .

What does anyone recommend to do to get this resolved .I'm literally spinning on my head trying stuff.

:th_0140:

tried konqueror .....Same problem .

You hit the nail right on the head . I dislodged the Cmos battery when I was rooting around inside the case. Cleaning dust out and such.

The problem was that when I reset the date I was using the European format :- day/month/year . Instead of month/day/ year.

So every time I tried to save and exit F10. The month reverted to it's own logical idea of what it should be.

I only found the problem when I tabbed to the next line down and just caught the sneaky thing out of the corner of my eye.

Go raibh mait agat. Irish for a great many thanks for your reply

Once again tnx :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Expired Cert warnings are part of a browser's security warning mechanisms. It's NOT a problem with your browsers. It's a problem with the lazy website admins who haven't renewed their Certs. I've been getting a few warnings for Hotmail, Gmail, Google, and Yahoo over the last couple months. You can either turn off your browser's security (not recommended) or accept the old Cert as valid. This will stop the warnings. Before accepting an old Cert as valid make SURE this isn't some phishing site you've landed on first. You can check the domain and cert info by doing a "whois" in terminal or using an online whois service.

---

Ah, I see it was a BIOS clock setting. Yup. That'll do it, too, sometimes. :)

• Like 1

securitybreach

Ah, I see it was a BIOS clock setting. Yup. That'll do it, too, sometimes. :)

Luckily they usually last longer than the computer does...

I've been getting a few warnings for Hotmail, Gmail, Google, and Yahoo over the last couple months. You can either turn off your browser's security (not recommended) or accept the old Cert as valid. This will stop the warnings. Before accepting an old Cert as valid make SURE this isn't some phishing site you've landed on first. You can check the domain and cert info by doing a "whois" in terminal or using an online whois service.

Odd.. I haven't gotten from any of the google domains and I also do not go to yahoo or hotmail (so I do not know about that).

• Like 1

Update"My latest mess" :- I have three different hard drives with Debian Slackware And Win xp respectively.

In order to boot Deb I have to unplug Slack. In order to get a splash screen I have to plug in Win .then I can boot Slack or Win . But DEb has to be unplugged .So far Loadlin nor lilo refuse to come out to play . So if anyone can get back to steam age computing it seems to be me . :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

V.T. Eric Layton

I'll give you a tip...

Windows XP likes to be on the first partition of the first drive; /dev/sda1, in other words. Always install Windows first on a multi-OS system. If you set your drives up so that Windows is in that position, you can get either Debian's GRUB or Slackware's LILO to load it auto-detect it. It doesn't matter which drive's boot sector stores GRUB or LILO as long as you have that drive set to boot first in your BIOS.

Been here, done this oh so many times in the last 10 years. ;) Before you knew me, Del, I had 18 distributions of Linux and one Win XP installed on my system. That was back in the early daze of my Linux adventure, when I was still distro farming. :w00t:

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton
  • Like 3

securitybreach

I'll give you a tip...

Windows XP likes to be on the first partition of the first drive; /dev/sda1, in other words. Always install Windows first on a multi-OS system. If you set your drives up so that Windows is in that position, you can get either Debian's GRUB or Slackware's LILO to load it auto-detect it. It doesn't matter which drive's boot sector stores GRUB or LILO as long as you have that drive set to boot first in your BIOS.

Exactly :thumbsup:

• Like 1

It gets weirder . The Win drive is a sata drive as is the Slack. The deb drive is ide. with a windows partition . Now when the win drive is connected to the 1'st sata connection on the MB .I can't find the DEb drive (ide) . nor the slack which may be connected to the 2nd sata socket. So I just plug in the drive I wish to use and unplug the others . Otherwise there is a Kernel panic .

It's no biggie , I just hoped to give yall a laugh . Sides I will always have a drive or two in hand. LoL

• Like 1

Distro farming :- That link to the linux distro tree got me *big time* Been spending a good bit of time ploughing around in there.

Nice one Eric .

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

When you shift drives around physically on the SATA or EIDE buss, Del, you confuse the bootloader that loads your operating systems. For example, when you first installed Slack and set up LILO, it showed that your other SATA drive and your other EIDE drive were in certain physical locations on the busses. Now, when you swap them around without updating your bootloader, it all turns to shizzit because the bootloader program (GRUB or LILO) cannot find the operating systems where they are suppose to be.

Also, as I've found over the years, sometimes hybrid SATA/EIDE drive usage doesn't always play well on some Linux distros. Personally, I'd start over from scratch. Adjusting, tweaking, and other fornications of that type are usually not worth the waste of your life to finally get them to work properly.

Edited by V.T. Eric Layton
  • Like 2

I read you on this . As you may have guessed already one is an inveterate cracker . Cracking away until it will crack no more then one goes into hacker repair it mode . Yet still they come ... All the busted machines in the village and some from even further abroad. One dare not go in the local bar because the beers line up and not wishing to hurt anyones feelings one drinks them all and invariably get totally squiffy. Just like any tradesman my own gear is a totally neglected wreck. At the moment I am putting another ugly monster together which will be screwed to a sheet of plywood . No case. Just the guts .open to the scrutiny of all the kids that arrive in the shack . Just bet one gets a lot of fun with that.. :clap: :clap: :clap:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning Cappy...I've been reading the mail. It sounds like you're having a great time tinkering with everything. I read you mentioned having different os's on separate hard drives and having to deal with plugging and unplugging..... I don't know the whole situation so you may have done this or maybe it won't apply in your setup, but when I put together my now in storage desktop, I had three hard drives each containing a different OS. I bought a hard drive switch that worked great. Again, might not apply to your situation.

On another tack, it sound like you are enjoying Slackware.....Slack is where it's at! I saw somewhere you mention Slackware 8.....if you wanna have fun and have some old machines laying around, consider giving this a try:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/baslinux/

I've been curious about linux for a while, mostly as a hobby. The guys here on BATL are gods....well, most of them :) and I wish I knew just a fraction of what they know. I have a time understanding some of this stuff but I still enjoy reading about it or trying something else new. The link to Basic Linux was a huge challenge for me because that was in my case, ground zero. It's name "basic linux" is deceiving because it really is more of journey into the early days of Slackware....a Slackware Time Machine.......

Have a great day everybody.

• Like 1

I thought so since he says "It's a mouldy old cmd line browser." :)

I actually gave it a try about 30 minutes ago.....it's a lot better I think then Lynx or Links...... but then 30 minutes isn't really much testin'.....

(just checked the WM3 site, your last link..... I think I know them.) Before checking that sight but just seeing your link, I was thinking maybe former Elvis body guards.... :)

Edited by wa4chq
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update:- Hows this for a doozy . Today my recycled lcd. tv. ( from a skip) decided to not work and I felt really let down as I had wanted to watch the dvd movie "Van Helsing" I've seen it before and enjoyed it so I thought that a year later I would watch it again .

Notwithstanding I decided to watch it on the desktop . Popped it in the drawer and looked for the icon to display . No way . Tried to manually mount the drive . Nada Zilch . Upgraded the Kplayer . Nothing . So I looked inside the case . Problem solved . I had disconnected the ide lead to the drive as I had put in a hard drive instead . So I could run Deb. Only one ide slot and no less than 6 sata slots . So no movie as I was NOT going to dismantle everything just as I had upgraded and updated everything Deb.

If I get time tomorrow I will do it in daylight .

Sometimes I feel soooo Skewpid . :bangin:

• Like 3

Update:- Hows this for a doozy . Today my recycled lcd. tv. ( from a skip) decided to not work and I felt really let down as I had wanted to watch the dvd movie "Van Helsing" I've seen it before and enjoyed it so I thought that a year later I would watch it again .

Notwithstanding I decided to watch it on the desktop . Popped it in the drawer and looked for the icon to display . No way . Tried to manually mount the drive . Nada Zilch . Upgraded the Kplayer . Nothing . So I looked inside the case . Problem solved . I had disconnected the ide lead to the drive as I had put in a hard drive instead . So I could run Deb. Only one ide slot and no less than 6 sata slots . So no movie as I was NOT going to dismantle everything just as I had upgraded and updated everything Deb.

If I get time tomorrow I will do it in daylight .

Sometimes I feel soooo Skewpid . :bangin:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-Bi-Directional-SATA-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00310MFPY

Resists making witty remark :whistling:

• Like 1

That looks like a desirable piece of kit .

Well this morning I gathered up my tools and put on my best geek hat and went upstairs all ready to cause mayhem and have screws and leads flying all over .

Took the idea to switch the old LG on ...Shock and awe!! the furbying thing worked flawlessly .

All I can think of is that it was phoning home last night and did not want to be disturbed . :rant: :rant: :rant:

• Like 3