Capt.Crow's woes. A thread of my linux mistakes and solutions that

Capt.Crow

abarbarian
split the rest 60/40 for home and logic.

I know what /home is but what is "logic" ? :fish:

Perhaps, logical partition but I do not know how that would applicable.

Baffled me too as he is in Ireland and logic does not exist over there :tease: :Laughing:

• Like 1

The bottle is never 1/2 full nor 1/2 empty.. It's either 50/50 or much of a muchness. That's the cream of Irish logic.

When I slip the install disk into the slot and things start moving I will follow first the instructions ,but well overlayed with intuition.

Every day I spend rootling around Slackware os .I learn a bit more.

One thing I would like to do is dedicate a partition to bootload (optional)for automated recovery. Hummmm!!!

Hopefully when the dust settles I will have a first class masters degree in busting operating systems. :w00tx100: :oops: :bangin:

• 2 months later...

So as my old dad used to say " I'm monkey sick " of trying to get the e3272 installed on my Debian Squeeze box.I have red rimmed eyes screaming around the net looking for answers. D*** Debian for not including netmanager in their distro.

The e3272 works almost out of the box on Slackware 14.1. Therefore I will install it on this recently acquired Dell Dimension.

and feel more comfortable and secure than with W.7 which is really a miserable place for me.

I've been wondering when it comes to writing the partitions whether it is better write each part to disc or all together.?

Another gripe is these touch-pads they work almost like predictive txt on the cell phones and always do the unexpected.The upside is navigating with the keys is almost becoming second nature.

Mindful that I have clumsy builders hands,still they can play a sweet guitar.

I will leave Deb on the Inspiron just to keep me humble. :bangin: :'(

• Like 1

I have installed 'hugesmp.s' on a Dimension. All is good all the way up to where 'startx' is supposed to supply the kde gui.

The first screen where it shows the services loading happens.Then just when the main destop should show ,there is a blinking cursor and a black screen.

It is a clean install and even LiLo co-operates.

All the way up to root login and terminal. Then sheeshe.

Eric is there something I'm missing on the install.

I didn't get to activate any user logins yet. Just root.

Solved. Re-ran xorgsetup. Got past the crash .Refresh rate needs sorting and the colors are a little pale.

Must be psychic communication. :alien: :clap: :alien:

• Like 3

V.T. Eric Layton

Yes, I was streaming the solution through the ether while lying abed last night. Glad you were receiving. AHHHHHHHHMMMMM... AHHHHHHHMMMMM....

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: .I am not going to knock the possibility.

Now all I have to do is get netmanager up and running.

Having a little trouble getting into the mirrors file to set my local mirror.>heanet<

Not too worried yet .But the iso I had to use is a disc LXF165.So as it's a few years old there must be a stack of updates and patches .

Will keep this thread running .May be a help to guests etc.

Thank you all for your encouragement. :thumbup: :thumbup:

• Like 1

Now this machine is up and running on Slackware 14.1 .Konqueror is the browser of choice (for now)

While the colors are a little different ,one can live with that. It fairly screams along.

It's a really good feeling when things happen the way one desires .

Now it's a matter of resolving the update/upgrade issue re getting at and editing the mirrors file.

Oddest thing while one may never find solutions in one particular place and have visited perhaps hundreds on sites (rejecting most and trying a few) ,the aggregate of ideas will in time reveal the answers.

So Hello Slackworld long may it prosper and grow.

Au revoir Debian

No doubt we'll meet again from time to time for a wee tete a tete

• Like 2

This whitelist thing on Konqueror is very strict. Guess I will have to study that .

A lot of stuff gets blocked .For instance the editing bar that should appear on top of this reply box, just isn't there. On other sites the smiley's while I can see them just will not post.

And just for a laugh...... The mouse while connected and working is almost redundant as I am using the keys by instinct now. LoL...

securitybreach

Man, I haven't used knoqueror as a browser in many years. It is kind of stagnant compared to current browsers like firefox and chrome/chromium. Why are you using Konqueror as your browser anyway?

Kinda just because it's there. It will be good to get familiar with all it's pro's and con's. There are some things about it which are very weird and it would be ood to get it as slick as I may.

As a fall back * Seamonkey * ...after that WM3. :th_1sm330office-work: :party0036: :Muahaha:

It's a mouldy old cmd line browser . Maybe I have an error in the title. Next time I turn on the other box I will retrieve the Url.

I'm not getting much desktime lately. The weather has taken a turn for the better and a lot of outdoor projects are moving again at long last.

How you settling in Norlins. Loads a good music I hope .

securitybreach

How you settling in Norlins. Loads a good music I hope .

Well I am still working on getting a job but I did go out to Bourbon st the other night and it was fun.

I have been trying to get along with Chrome on Win 7.. I have major issues with both..

So far Konqueror on Slackware has performed much better than I thought. Just find Konq just a tad tight . Not to happy with the security pop ups.And some of my e-mails come across in code etc.

• 3 weeks later...

So the Slackware is now my daily operating system .Haven't looked at the W7 netbook for a long time. The more familiar I become with Slackware and the unix systems the greater my sense of the sheer beauty of the project. Many thousands of minds quietly contributing to what may well be humanities simplist key to our social universe . .Every line of code ,every forum query ,every traveller in the world of Linux has a grace unexplainable . Thank you Linus Torvald .For the greatest stepping stone the free world has ever known :beer:

Capt.Crow.

• Like 2

securitybreach

So the Slackware is now my daily operating system .Haven't looked at the W7 netbook for a long time. The more familiar I become with Slackware and the unix systems the greater my sense of the sheer beauty of the project. Many thousands of minds quietly contributing to what may well be humanities simplist key to our social universe . .Every line of code ,every forum query ,every traveller in the world of Linux has a grace unexplainable . Thank you Linus Torvald .For the greatest stepping stone the free world has ever known :beer:

Capt.Crow.

Indeed man :thumbup:

Capt.Crow.

Blimey the man has got religion :thudna5:

• Like 3

slapt-get.. Does anyone use this ..I've had a good read up on this and it looks like a good system . But there seems to be a quirk about dependencies.

Yeah yorkshire folk do this all the time. We tend to use an " i " instead of the " e " , an a " ' " instead of the " - " ie: slapt'git. In useage " 'e wer a raht pain so I slapt'git " Translation, He was a right pain so I gave him a clout. In english, He was being a bothersom chap so I showed taught him some manners. :Laughing:

• Like 2

Woe is me .....Ouch .... Went to turn on my old amilo laptop last night so I could read the on-line Slackbook.So I could do some "rootwork" on the desktop... Discovered the power supply/charger flooded .Have no idea how . as they are a supposedly sealed unit .

Took it apart and hope it will dry out with no damage .Some hopes. Every now and then I get some strange electrical breakdowns ,always in a rash ..Now it appears that 240vac/20vdc 6amp chargers are in the same family as horse beaks and hens teeth .

Nothing is ever simple is it .Either I have cash and no parts available or visa versa .

Murphy's law strikes again .

I wondered why I was getting so tired when on-line and figured that this old monitor will only refresh at 60 cycles with the resolution needed to get the whole page on the screen. (packard Bell A520 vintage 1999 ). So it will be my priority to dig out something a little younger.

I'm having a little problem with streaming movies. The screen goes blank after a time until I hit the space bar or move the mouse. Having rooted in to the system and resetting the display time out to 180 mins it's still happening . on FFox. How does one stop this happening .

securitybreach

You really need a new monitor man. You can get a 22" for around a hundred than a hundred and a 24" around $130.

Also, how in the world did you get your laptop PS wet?

I'm having a little problem with streaming movies. The screen goes blank after a time until I hit the space bar or move the mouse. Having rooted in to the system and resetting the display time out to 180 mins it's still happening . on FFox. How does one stop this happening .

Environment?

Try

xset -dpms & xset s off

First one turns off power management and second one turns off screen blanking.

To turn back on

xset +dpms & xset s on

I made 2 .desktop files I can just click on to activate:

eg. disablescreenblank.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Comment[en_US]=
Comment=
Encoding=UTF-8
Exec=xset -dpms
GenericName[en_US]=
GenericName=
Icon=/home/roger/bin/GasSoldierwithWeapon128x128.png
MimeType=
Name=Disable Screen Blank
Path=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-DBUS-ServiceName=
X-DBUS-StartupType=
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=

Modify to suit. You will need to specify your own icon.

You shouldn't be root to do this, it's userspace function.

• Like 1

xset -dpms & xset s off

I followed your instructions and got this reply

[1]2979.

I wont know if I did it right until I try for a video later on tonight .

Many thanks for your input

Hi security breach.. I have absolutely no idea how the PS got flooded . All I can think of is that after a spell of driving rain ,which may have seeped into the shelf where it was placed was pulled in when it cooled down after use . There is no trace of or watermark left in that position.

You're so right re monitor. But in RipOffIreland .a hundred bucks will just about get one a couple of coffees. The last decent monitor I had to import from Prodimax in Geneva . It cost me 300euro for an Acer al 1721.The others would send me to coventry if I took it back .They use it on their systems. And as usual the skipper comes last . LOL