Jeopardy!

This is amazing:http://www.jeopardy.com/gena.pjw?cont=_ken...&cat=contestantThis news isn't quite up to date - the guy's won over $300 Large already in 10 games straight and has shattered the other contestants with several thousands of dollars in the lead.I said while watching the game: "either he's a genius, or has way too much spare time". Then I found out that he's a programmer. I rest my case on "Genius" :D

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• epp_b

• ibe98765

• ebrke

• georgeg4

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I'm a Jeopardy junkie and this guy is absolutely amazing! I think they should kill him after he loses and study his brain to see how it works. :thumbsup: :P :clap: It would be interesting to see this guy against the other top people of the past (the one's who have won yearly tournament of champions playoff). He's clearly head and shoulders above the average player.

And he keeps winning! He's now up to $376,158 as of Wednesday evening! Holy cow!! I'm betting this guy is an alien in disguise... :)

friendofdot

When are the tournaments? Otherwise I don't think this guy is going to lose any time soon. Not only is he very smart, he knows exactly how to work the "buzzer," which has been a problem for many players in the past. Last night, I got a big chuckle out of the woman's answer to the final question; she put "The same as Ken's answer." BTW, has anyone ever won this much or been on this long?

When are the tournaments?  Otherwise I don't think this guy is going to lose any time soon.  Not only is he very smart, he knows exactly how to work the "buzzer," which has been a problem for many players in the past.
Not sure what you mean by this :)
Last night, I got a big chuckle out of the woman's answer to the final question; she put "The same as Ken's answer."
LOL!!! B)
BTW, has anyone ever won this much or been on this long?
I don't think so - I think Trebek said it was a record.

I thought that they used to retire a player who won 5 days. (At least until the tournament)
I think that rule has been abolished.

novice_hack_writer

I've had a member of this forum (the only one who knows my secret identity--unless there are detectives on here I don't know about) write me privately and ask if I was recently in LA for some television taping. Unfortunately, once a person has won, he/she can't go back except by invitation to one of the tournaments. So, the answer is "no?". Notice how cleverly I phrased that in the form of a question :)Do I dare "out" my secret identity and post the URL of my webpage regarding my "Jeopardy!" win, oh so many years ago?I'll read the replies (if any) and make a decision. Do you respect secrecy or are you curious? Until the point where I think about it some more, you're in suspense....And yes, the rule about winning 5 times was changed as of this taping year. It wouldn't have affected me since I went down in flames during "Final Jeopardy!" on the second day :huh:

Guest Paracelsus

Interesting, NHW...Sorry to read that your success was all too brief.I've had people tell me for years, that I should tryout for Jeopardy. "Right!" :huh: I'm only good at it when I'm at home watching the show on TV.I can't even make a Project Review presentation at work without stuttering and stammering like a moron ;) Even if I were to get on the show...I would choke, BIG TIME(De-Habda-Habda-Deee-Habda)"Alex... I'll take... "Freezes in Public"... for a hundred" :P B)

SonicDragon
I'll read the replies (if any) and make a decision. Do you respect secrecy or are you curious?
Ok, i'll bite. Who are you? I probably wouldn't know anyway, i don't watch very much jepardy...

Ken really has well-rounded knowledge of almost everything. He has missed surprisingly few questions, and what impresses me so much is that he's extremely quick, both with his wits and his buzzer. I'm lousy under pressure--answering questions from the safety of my kitchen is one thing--up there on stage is a completely different story. I wonder how long he can go on?

Do I dare "out" my secret identity and post the URL of my webpage regarding my "Jeopardy!" win, oh so many years ago?
YES, YES!!

Do I dare "out" my secret identity and post the URL of my webpage regarding my "Jeopardy!" win, oh so many years ago?
YES, YES!!
Don't keep us in suspense... background music... Jeopardy's ding-ding-ding-ding

In an effort to improve a show that was getting a bit boring, they eliminated the 5 time rule this year. Last and previous years, they would have a yearly tournament made up of everyone who had won 5 games (when they got enough winners (they need 9)). I don't know if they will still be doing this, but I don't see why not.Earlier in the year, there were a few players that got past 5 games and looked impressive, but most only made it to 6 or 7 wins. I think one person made it to 8 previous to Ken.Yes, the blind guy was really impressive, particularly because he was blind! But as I recall, he didn't fare all that well in the tournament of 5 time winners.Ken won his 12th game now with a total of $410,158!

friendofdot

Although Ken is great for ratings, I wonder if the Jeopardy folks will rethink letting winners continue indefinitely. He really is amazing. Personally, I do very well from my easy chair, but would probably freeze on stage :) BTW, David Letterman was even talking about Ken last night. However, true to Dave, he went on to discuss Alex Trebec's recent arrest for falling asleep while driving.Does anyone know how recently this is taped?

I heard on one of the ABC news shows (maybe GMA??) that it was taped back in February...
Maybe Ken is still going strong with a total win in the millions by now? ;) Does anyone know the mechanics of how the show works? How many shows do they tape in one day? How muh rest does the winner get between shows? What happens during the advertising breaks? Do they get to drink some water or what? Does Alex tell jokes?

Lucky 13 game winner now. $440,158 in winnings. 2 more fall to this human computing machine. Tax man is rubbing his hands together heartily!

Finally, the male challenger tonight at least gave Ken a run for his money up to near the end when Ken, in a gutsy move, bet $6,000 (entirely out of character) on a double answer and won, significantly expanding his lead. And then the challenger didn't know the question to the final answer, so wound up with the $2000 consolation prize. Ken is now up to $471,759. This is history in the making. I highly doubt we will ever see anyone like Ken again. I still say he is an alien in disguise (it's a cookbook..... B)).

$512,959 to be exact...This is getting boring!What's wrong with Jeopardy producers? Surely they should have been able to sift through their candidate list for some top players by now. In Game 16 Ken ran through two whole categories and 4 clues of the third category before either of the two woman got one ring in!

I don't know that anything's wrong with the producers. The show's getting talked about because of Ken. I do agree that some of the contestents seem to be non-starters. I think they're the ones who do well in the screening and then fold when they're actually in competition. If you think about it, there haven't been that many shows where all 3 contestents really put up a fight.