Interesting Stuff You Saw on the I-net Today

crp

V.T. Eric Layton

Sadly, there are lots and lots of "strange" cases of disappearances like this one. Many of these mysteries are NEVER solved. :(

• Sad 1

amenditman
15 hours ago, crp said:

Why did Marsh's Library stop requiring the cage?

Because no one wants to steal books anymore. It's all about digital piracy. Who has room for all those physical volumes?

abarbarian

Marsh's Library Dublin has a fascinating history.

While Marsh was at Trinity College Dublin, he was concerned that the library there was not well maintained, and that books were missing. It was difficult to use even for students of the college.  For anyone else, there was no access to the college library, and he said of the Dublin booksellers that they had only ‘trifles and pamphlets’.

It was this that made him think of building a library for the use of the reading public of his day. Public libraries were not very usual at the time and when he told his friends what he planned they commented that neither Oxford nor London had a public library.

https://marshlibrary.ie/about/history/

At the beginning, readers were allowed to go into the bays to choose their own books. Unfortunately, they were so interested in the books that they stole them from the Library.

By the mid-1760s, there were over 1000 books missing. The Governors made an order that no-one but the librarian was to go into the bays, and that readers were either to read at the table in the reading room where they could be supervised, or be locked into the cages so that they could not steal the books.

The reading 'cages' at the end of the Second Gallery

THP09835_Graded_75-1024x683.jpg

🫣

• Like 1

abarbarian

OpenAI’s Sora Turns AI Prompts Into Photorealistic Videos

The results are pretty amazing. 😎

https://media.wired.com/clips/65cd609bb4d2e54e7c66f6b7/720p/pass/mammoth.mp4

AI-generated video made with the prompt “several giant wooly mammoths approach treading through a snowy meadow, their long wooly fur lightly blows in the wind as they walk, snow covered trees and dramatic snow capped mountains in the distance, mid afternoon light with wispy clouds and a sun high in the distance creates a warm glow, the low camera view is stunning capturing the large furry mammal with beautiful photography, depth of field.”Courtesy of OpenAI

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, abarbarian said:

Vv0iIqn.png

W7xYRZ6.png

f72kkA5.png

idnlERt.png

4GxWC5b.png

😎

Sounds like the kind of things one would hear on QI, one of my favourite shows.

English is weird; who decided how to pronounce words, eg. why is row your boat different from having a row with your missus? And I doubt anyone can explain the pronunciation of yacht!

And here's my parochial choice of the QI clips I watched today:

abarbarian
On 3/3/2024 at 11:30 AM, sunrat said:

Sounds like the kind of things one would hear on QI, one of my favourite shows.

English is weird; who decided how to pronounce words, eg. why is row your boat different from having a row with your missus? And I doubt anyone can explain the pronunciation of yacht!

And here's my parochial choice of the QI clips I watched today:

Not one of my programs of choice. However there were some funny parts to the compilation.

Narcoleptic horse is just too funny. 🤣

On 3/3/2024 at 11:30 AM, sunrat said:

And I doubt anyone can explain the pronunciation of yacht!

Or heir ....( usually sounds like the blue speaker ( /eə(r)/https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/heir 🤔

• 2 weeks later...
abarbarian

Even the gods use Arch linux it seems.

Ws9KIAi.jpg

😂

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

securitybreach
On 3/15/2024 at 7:37 AM, abarbarian said:

Even the gods use Arch linux it seems.

Ws9KIAi.jpg

😂

Well you know.....

• Agree 1

abarbarian

Move over, solar eclipse: Scientists predict a once-in-a-lifetime nova explosion in the coming months

The rare cosmic event is expected to take place sometime before September 2024. When it occurs it will likely be visible to the naked eye. No expensive telescope will be needed to witness this cosmic performance, says Nasa.

T CrB oubursts only happen about once every 80 years, the last was was back in 1946.

😎

abarbarian
10 hours ago, crp said:

I'm pretty sure it already happened. 

🙂

Doubt that as it is expected towards September. Als

And it is expected to remain fiery and visible to the unaided eye for at least a few days, but its explosive event could very well last more than a week.

the BEEB would have been reporting on it every half an hour for weeks an they have not mentioned it at all yet. 😛

abarbarian

Solar eclipse 2024: when and how to see the April 8 eclipse

If you’ve always wanted to glimpse some kind of solar eclipse, now’s the time to get excited. A solar eclipse next week (on Monday, April 8, to be specific) will see parts of Mexico, the US and Canada fall into the ‘path of totality’, meaning the moon will perfectly align with the sun and millions will be plunged into minutes of darkness – lots of places across the US have even issued safety warnings. Here in the UK we’ll only see a partial eclipse, meaning the sun won’t be completely blocked out. 

Total solar eclipses are rare events, and each place on Earth can only expect to see one once every 400 years. 

Where in the UK can you see the Monday 8 April solar eclipse?

A total solar eclipse is set to span North America on Monday - from Mexico to the very eastern tip of Canada.

The astronomical phenomenon will be less dramatic in the UK, but a partial eclipse could be visible in some parts of the country.

How do I watch the total eclipse online?

Audience members outside North America who want to see the total eclipse can catch our live coverage on the BBC website. There will be a livestream to watch the event as it happens and regular text and video updates on a live page.

Coverage will begin at 14:00 BST and continue throughout the day, complete with live dispatches from our reporters who will be stationed at eclipse gatherings across the US and Canada.

_133077618_2024_us_eclipse_path_mapv2_2x

Bloomin Yanks gettin the good stuff yet again 🫣

Corrine
58 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

Bloomin Yanks gettin the good stuff yet again

Indeed! I just happen to live in an area where the total eclipse will be visible for 3 minutes, 40 seconds!  (Yes, I have eclipse glasses.  The local library gave them away. 

• Like 1

abarbarian
10 hours ago, Corrine said:

Indeed! I just happen to live in an area where the total eclipse will be visible for 3 minutes, 40 seconds!  (Yes, I have eclipse glasses.  The local library gave them away. 

Hope you get good clear sky's for it. I witnessed a total whilst living up in the Lakes. I was out in the countryside away from civilization surrounded by trees with a small amount of thin cloud. All the wildlife went totally silent and it was a most eerie atmosphere. Even spookier than doing the Easy Rider tripping in a graveyard at night in the dead of winter. :w00tx100:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

coming down to Earth? At least knock first.

(i posted link from my YT history, so hopefully there will be no layering problem.)

Edited by crp
  • Like 1

abarbarian

3 D printing has moved on by leaps and bounds. You can get a good starter unit here for less than £200. Even cheaper in the USA.

😎

Edited by abarbarian