Systemd Epic Rant

V.T. Eric Layton

Guest LilBambi

I have no opinion on Slackware or Gentoo having never tried either one.

The main concern for me is if the install has to be a net-install since that would not work for me with our bandwidth limitations.

Yup, I agree. Linux is about choice. B)

Not really, Josh-

At my humble user level, not really. Choice? (cue hysterical laughter)

I do read all this stuff. Amid the controversy, I notice a diminishing concern with vulnerabilities.

Not many are really talking about that. I'm concerned...

systemd's size makes it a single point of failure...

its essential and overbearing nature will make it a juicy target for crackers,

as it is far smaller in breadth than the Linux kernel itself, yet seemingly just as critical.

http://boycottsystemd.org/ (Item 6.)

Choice? I can barely find my way around a typical Linux distro as it is (Mint, etc.). I constantly need to

ask for help (and am not ashamed to). If I want to be an anti systemd purist I have to learn to run

Slackware? Or Gentoo? Gentoo? Where is the choice in that? For Joe Average User,

none that I can see...

In the future if you want to continue to have a safe automobile, you have to assemble your own

from component parts? Either that or accept one of the assembled units from the 'factory' that may

spy on you or worse...

Where is the choice and freedom in that? Overbearing indeed- these guys come across to me as the

ultimate Linux control freaks. How very anti-unix they appear, even from the little bit that I understand

about unix...

Two metaphors suggested themselves to me early on. One is the proverbial Trojan Horse. The other-

a widely prescribed supposed 'cure' for osteoporosis, I won't mention trade name here- which causes

more problems than it fixes. Some dentists refuse to work on patients who are using the stuff. Makes

surgeries a lot more risky, apparently. There are rumors that it ultimately weakens bones more than

strengthens them. The body normally scavenges and rebuilds the interior of bones. This stuff inhibits

that process, creates, short term, a lot of denser but rather 'dead' bone. It's a crime against nature IMO...

Betty's doc kept pushing it on her very hard every time she was seen by him. That was ultimately one

factor in her recent decision to change doctors...

V.T. Eric Layton

I have no opinion on Slackware or Gentoo having never tried either one.

The main concern for me is if the install has to be a net-install since that would not work for me with our bandwidth limitations.

Netinstall?

Abalone... just let me know what you want. I burn, package, mail to you. :)

Guest LilBambi

I hear ya, thanks! Some are only net installs still aren't they?

There used to be several that were net installs only back when we were still on dialup. Was a pain.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah, I think some are just net-installs. It's because they have limited bandwidth on their own servers so they can't serve full DVD sized downloads.

Offer stands, though... just let me know what you want. :)

securitybreach

I love that most of the people that are talking bad about systemd have never even used it before and are spreading blatant lies that they know nothing of. I am referring to these so called "tech journalists" who scream bloody murder when something changes. I have seen many changes in the last eleven years of using linux and there will always be change. That is the nature of the beast....

Guest LilBambi

Not fear of the unknown on how it works, that's just a bloody nuisance. My fear of the unknown is how it will ultimately affect Linux in the long run. DRM wise and other concerns.

Guest LilBambi

I know there isn't DRM. But with one ring to rule them all, it will be much easier to get deep; system wide, video, audio affecting DRM instituted.

Edited by LilBambi

I read recently that they are trying to link audio and video and even DE/GUI to it.

i don't see the how/why of that. Maybe what they mean is using hooks for when video and audio physical connections are made while pc is running?

securitybreach

i don't see the how/why of that. Maybe what they mean is using hooks for when video and audio physical connections are made while pc is running?

Its not true

My fear of the unknown is how it will ultimately affect Linux in the long run.

Would you drop Debian just because you're worried about how systemd will affect Linux? I'm thinking that if systemd turns out to be something that's bad for Linux (and I'm not sure that it will), then most likely Debian will end up going in a different direction, down the road. In the meantime, I can continue to use Debian rather than some distro that I'd rather not give up Debian for, while also getting the chance to see for myself how systemd affects how Debian runs on my computers.

• Like 1

securitybreach

Exactly Saturanian.

Did everyone stop using the Nvidia driver because Linus gave them the finger? At least systemd is open source, GPLd software.

Would you drop Debian just because you're worried about how systemd will affect Linux? I'm thinking that if systemd turns out to be something that's bad for Linux (and I'm not sure that it will), then most likely Debian will end up going in a different direction, down the road. In the meantime, I can continue to use Debian rather than some distro that I'd rather not give up Debian for, while also getting the chance to see for myself how systemd affects how Debian runs on my computers.

Actually, I dropped CentOS7 in large part due to the systemd. keep in mind my Linux needs and wants are more heavily server based. And I have a feeling that the Debian folks are going to do their own maintaining of systemd.

Guest LilBambi

I dropped Fedora in favor of Debian because of systemd.

I will stay w/Debian Wheezy as on as it is supported, then re-evaluate.

I am not happy to leave Debian. But I will if I do not feel comfortable with it.

Josh. Actually the original reason Linus got upset with the systemd developers is their code broke something, and the developer wanted all other areas affected to change their code in favor of systemd. Linus told him he was to fix his own code that his code broke other's code and that is not how things are done.

That is what I remember about how Linus originally got his back up due to this developer.

Guest LilBambi

This has been resolved but made a big mess and then his attitude was icing on the cake and made it impossible for Linus not to step in. He even went so far as to suspend the developer of systemd from making any kernel changes at one point.

This was not a small thing.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/4/2/415

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=76935

securitybreach

Well everything must of been fixed as nothing is broke and I am on the latest kernel (3.16.2-1) with the latest version of systemd(216-3).