Women in Open Source computing.

abarbarian

Linux Foundation Launches Open Source Scholarship to Inspire Women in Tech

"Linux Foundation often provides a variety of scholarship programs. Recently, they have joined hands with Women Who Code (WWCode), popularly known for their work to empower women in technology.

The association alone could inspire women to work in tech. And to promote the initiative and encourage promising women, The Linux Foundation will provide 50 scholarships to deserving candidates."

"More About the Open Source Scholarship

However, we are not talking about prize money here, this scholarship will let 50 women register for any Linux Foundation eLearning course and a certification exam for free (originally costs $599).

Basically, the scholarship will let them gain/improve their skills and certify them in the process to get ready for the industry."

An excellent initiative. 😎

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The History and Future of Women in Computing

There are many public voices claiming women are not biologically suited for computing careers, such as the famous Google Manifesto (that claims women have higher anxiety and lower stress tolerance), and plenty of other opinion pieces easily found by search for the subject. But if this is true, how is it that women have been working with computers since the very beginning? Let’s take a very brief look at the history of women in computing to clear our heads about any misconceptions about whether or not women “belong” in tech: 

😎

• +1 1

On 11/3/2022 at 6:23 AM, abarbarian said:

Making blanket statements like that is the problem.  SOME women make great programmers.  But it IS true that male and female brains ARE different.  My sister had a very good career at IBM as a System Analyst.  But she freely admitted that the "bits and bytes" aspects didn't interest her and she didn't understand them.  But she was very comfortable with the verbiage oriented cobol language.  My personal feeling is that there will never be and can never be a one to one ratio of women to men in the field.  I have no problem with encouraging women to join, but I feel it is wrong to think the imbalance is caused by bias.

• Agree 1

On 11/4/2022 at 1:04 PM, wa4chq said:

The topic has been around for quite some time but I became aware of it after seeing Abarbarians post from yesterday.  So my link below may have already been posted. 

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/64941/meet-woman-behind-apollo-project

I started the thread as there are some active female members here and I thought that they might find the thread interesting.

Do not think that the article has been posted here before but any chance to bump the thread is good as it may attract more female members to the forum.

Meet Margaret Hamilton: The Woman Behind the Apollo Project

😎

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Code Girls: The Women Cryptographers of WWII

The Woman Who Smashed Codes: The Untold Story of Cryptography Pioneer Elizebeth Friedman

Friedman triumphed over at least three Enigma machines and cracked dozens of different radio circuits to decipher more than four thousand Nazi messages that saved innumerable lives, only to have J. Edgar Hoover and the FBI take credit for her invisible, instrumental work.

elizebethfriedman1.jpg?resize=648%2C756&

The articles are not really about computers but they are sort of connected via mathematics and cryptography. Great stories whatever.

😎

• Like 2
  • +1 1

On 4/18/2023 at 4:05 AM, abarbarian said:

Code Girls: The Women Cryptographers of WWII

The Woman Who Smashed Codes: The Untold Story of Cryptography Pioneer Elizebeth Friedman

The articles are not really about computers but they are sort of connected via mathematics and cryptography. Great stories whatever.

😎

I've been doing audio books lately so will have to see if this is available.  Thanks for posting it, AB.

Edited by wa4chq

• 9 months later...
abarbarian

Hacker Eva Galperin Has a Plan to Eradicate Stalkerware

"Full access to someone’s phone is essentially full access to someone’s mind," says Galperin, a security researcher who leads the Threat Lab of the digital civil liberties group the Electronic Frontier Foundation. "The people who end up with this software on their phones can become victims of physical abuse, of physical stalking. They get beaten. They can be killed. Their children can be kidnapped. It’s the small end of a very large, terrifying wedge."

😎

• Like 1

securitybreach
20 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

?????? my link works just fine here in blighty. 🤔

It all depends on how many articles you have seen there in a given amount of time.

abarbarian
29 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

It all depends on how many articles you have seen there in a given amount of time.

Ah ha righty ho.😎

• 1 month later...
abarbarian

UK academic’s Wikipedia project raises profile of women around the world

A UK academic who has completed a project creating a Wikipedia page for a woman in every country in the world is calling for more women to contribute to the world’s largest encyclopedia.

She pointed to research from 2022 that found there were more Wikipedia entries about football and footballers than there were about women.

Run as a non-profit, open-source encyclopedia that is free to use, Wikipedia can be edited by anyone but only a fifth of its 124,000 regularly active editors are women.

😎

• Like 1