Arch linux articles through the ages.

abarbarian

abarbarian
On 1/14/2024 at 12:17 PM, securitybreach said:

Well that should say "you get a better understanding of how lnux distros are put together".

That is some fine nit picking.

On 1/14/2024 at 12:17 PM, securitybreach said:

I do not think he understands the function of the AUR.

Recon you are of base with this one as he states,

Arch Linux has plenty of software in its repository. The AUR extends the software offering of Arch Linux.

I really liked his arguments in point one and six and fully agree with both.

1. The DIY approach gives you control over every aspect of your operating system

The point above was a major influence in me deciding to use Arch but it was this point that was the main reason,

"6. No corporate involvement! Arch is created, supported and owned by community

Ubuntu is backed by Canonical, Fedora is from Red Hat (part of IBM now) and openSUSE is from SUSE. All these major distributions are corporate-backed.

This is not bad or a crime in itself. But a few people do not like corporate involvement in open source projects.

Like Debian, Arch Linux is one of the rare few community-only Linux distribution projects.

You may point out that many other distributions like Linux Mint etc are also not sponsored by corporate. Well, that might be true but Linux Mint itself is based on Ubuntu and uses Ubuntu’s repositories. Arch Linux is not derivative of another distribution.

In that sense, Debian and Arch Linux are more pure community-driven projects. It may not matter to many people but a few people do care about such things."

of course if I could use more of the grey cell I would have gone with Gentoo or Linux From Scratch. 🤣

abarbarian

Looking at Arch based distros I came across Arco linux. This has multiple offerings and tons of information, guides,videos etc. Some of the guides are very well written and presented.

However they offer many different types of window managers and desktops, almost too many to count. Missing from their list is my favourite Window Maker. Viewing their video ArcoLinux : 3298 how to decide what iso to download I decided to question why they ommited Window Maker and indeed make no mention of it on their home site. Not even one single reference to it 😱. So I posted in the comments section, and got a reply 😱😱 which was so shocking that I was left speechless.

j7WGpZi.png

• Like 1

Hedon James
On 1/16/2024 at 8:02 AM, abarbarian said:

Looking at Arch based distros I came across Arco linux. This has multiple offerings and tons of information, guides,videos etc. Some of the guides are very well written and presented.

However they offer many different types of window managers and desktops, almost too many to count. Missing from their list is my favourite Window Maker. Viewing their video ArcoLinux : 3298 how to decide what iso to download I decided to question why they ommited Window Maker and indeed make no mention of it on their home site. Not even one single reference to it 😱. So I posted in the comments section, and got a reply 😱😱 which was so shocking that I was left speechless.

j7WGpZi.png

hahaha....that's actually kinda funny.  To be fair to Mr. Dubois, I hadn't heard of WindowMaker until I started frequenting this forum.  Nearly everything I know about WindowMaker is due to your evangelism, brutha.  Thanks to your efforts and demonstrations, I have even considered it for my own system, as it checks many of the boxes for my requirements.  Unfortunately, other WMs check more boxes; but I could absolutely use WindowMaker, and be fine with that, if I couldn't have Flux, Pek, or Openbox anymore.

WindowMaker used to be unheard of, and unknown to me.  But is now in my top 4 choices for a WM!  😮  And that's ALL because of you AB.  Maybe Mr. Dubois just needs more exposure to come around?  You know what to do...

abarbarian
5 minutes ago, Hedon James said:

WindowMaker used to be unheard of, and unknown to me.  But is now in my top 4 choices for a WM! 

:worthy::worthy:

Yeah I am going to ramp up the Window Maker promotion this year. Going to start making some YT vids etc. If Trump can be a president I can make Window Maker the desktop of the world. :hysterical:

• Haha 1

Hedon James
1 hour ago, abarbarian said:

:worthy::worthy:

Yeah I am going to ramp up the Window Maker promotion this year. Going to start making some YT vids etc. If Trump can be a president I can make Window Maker the desktop of the world. :hysterical:

If those are my 2 choices, I would at least be okay with WindowMaker and wouldn't count down the days until I could replace it.  LOL!  😎

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
abarbarian

Arch Linux-Based SystemRescue 11 Released with Linux Kernel 6.6 LTS

Arch Linux-based SystemRescue 11 live Linux toolkit for system rescue and recovery tasks has been released today with a newer kernel, new packages, and various enhancements.

😎

EndeavourOS Galileo Neo Released with Linux Kernel 6.7 and Improved Installer

EndeavourOS Galileo Neo comes a little over two months after EndeavourOS Galileo providing users who want to install EndeavourOS on new computers with an up-to-date installation media that’s powered by the latest and greatest Linux 6.7 kernel series and Mesa 23.3.3 graphics stack.

😎

Edited by abarbarian
  • Like 1

abarbarian
27 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

I didn't know that they were now arch based.

Seems quite a few folk are using Arch as a base these days. 😎

• 1 month later...
abarbarian

A couple of good Arch install videos using the Arch Install Script, both of them are fairly recent.

This script is an easy way to get to try out Arch for new users. Once someone has given Arch a try out with this or a derivative distro I would recommend they do a full manual install as that way they can customize to suit. After all that is one of the attractions of using Arch, making the os suit you. 🥰

• Like 1

securitybreach
28 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

This script is an easy way to get to try out Arch for new users.

Very cool but that is not what the script is made for. It's suggested that new users do not use the script and do it the normal way. This is because it is very counterproductive to have a custom system that you do not know anything about. The install script is made for intermediate Arch users who need a faster installation, nothing more.

The installer will not configure WiFi before the installation begins. You need to read up on Arch Linux networking before you continue.

securitybreach

They don't exactly refer to it as an installer:

archinstall is a helper library which automates the installation of Arch Linux. It is packaged with different pre-configured installers, such as a "guided" installer.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Archinstall

Also:

archinstall offers different defaults than the regular installation process. When using a system installed with archinstall, please mention so in support requests and provide /var/log/archinstall/install.log.

abarbarian
41 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Very cool but that is not what the script is made for. It's suggested that new users do not use the script and do it the normal way. This is because it is very counterproductive to have a custom system that you do not know anything about. The install script is made for intermediate Arch users who need a faster installation, nothing more.

Ah ha righty ho. I just came across the videos whilst searching for something else. I never read up on the installer although I knew it existed as  I always do a manual install. 😎

• Agree 1

securitybreach
42 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

Ah ha righty ho. I just came across the videos whilst searching for something else. I never read up on the installer although I knew it existed as  I always do a manual install. 😎

I played with it on a vm, it seems to work as intended.

• Like 1