Arch linux articles through the ages.

abarbarian

abarbarian

Mabox Linux – Beautiful Arch Linux with Openbox [Review]

Mabox Linux is a Manjaro Linux re-spin with a lightweight Openbox window manager, ready to use with pre-configured themes and utilities. We review the distribution in this post.

Thanks to the Openbox, this Linux distribution is super-lightweight in resource consumption while being a beautiful desktop for everyone to use. The Mabox Linux tools adapted from BunsenLabs and inspired by Crunchbang brings some of their applications.

The LIVE desktop lets you install Mabox via the Calamares installer. The installation takes around 3 to 4 minutes on standard hardware, and it is error-free in my test.

Why anyone would want to make a fork of Manjaro beats me, why not just fork Arch ?

Doing an install in 3 to 4 minutes is a bold claim, I wonder if it is true ?

You just got to love the variety in the penguin world. 😎

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
abarbarian

Archcraft OS – Minimal Arch Linux with Openbox WM

Archcraft OS is a free and open-source operating system (OS) based on Arch Linux. Developed by a single person, this Linux distribution promises to be “pure” Arch as in – it is exact same as vanilla Arch Linux install.

The installer is a window-driven step-by-step process which typically you do via commands while installing Arch Linux. However, it gives you sufficient options to go back and forth before the actual installation starts.

The installation process went smooth, although it took some time in my test system (BIOS-based). The distro successfully detected all the operating systems in the multi-boot test device. And did not mess my grub. Overall installation time on average is ~15 minutes.

The major advantage of using a window manager instead of a traditional desktop environment is the better resource usage by the underlying distribution. Hence, Archcraft is also doing the same. This distro uses around ~390 MB of RAM in an idle state in a physical installation. Most of the memory is used by Xorg only at idle state, followed by Plank.CPU usage is very minimal at idle of course unless you do any operation.

This sounds like a very neat effort shame I do not have the time to try it out at the moment.

😎

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
abarbarian

Archcraft Yet another minimal Linux distribution, based on Arch Linux.

Archcraft is just another Linux distribution, made on top of Arch Linux. It uses window managers and lightweight applications, which makes it super fast. With pre-configured settings, Archcraft provides you the best out of the box window manager experience.

This looked to be a promising Arch based distro sadly there has been no new release since Nov 2021.

They do have a good step by step guide to installing with Calamares and ABIF. The Gallery is worth a look as it has some good screenshots of a variety of  Window Managers.

Of interest there included two wayland configured Window Managers,

Sway is a tiling Wayland compositor and a drop-in replacement for the i3 window manager for X11. It works with your existing i3 configuration and supports most of i3's features, plus a few extras.

and

Wayfire is a wayland compositor based on wlroots. It aims to create a customizable, extendable and lightweight environment without sacrificing its appearance.

I rather like the Archcraft Lite version.

4.png

😎