Good Reads - Discussion of Books, Literature, Reading, etc.

ebrke
1 hour ago, zlim said:

My reading tastes run to mysteries

Mine too. I really like several British authors but get very impatient when they don't produce a new book in a series fast enough! Then again, better that than the way James Patterson started being an industry with what seem like mass-produced efforts.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• abarbarian

• V.T. Eric Layton

• Fuddster

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started reading years of back issues of monthly publications like Nebula and Galaxy and many others, all tied up in bundles by year in the attic of a friend of my mother. It started when I was about

Since I found that site, I seldom turn on my cable box. My 76 year old eyes don't do well with the print size in a typical paper&ink printed book (especially paperbacks), but with an e- book

I remember The Shadow shows.  One of my favorites as a kid.

V.T. Eric Layton

Love the titles of those books, particularly the last one. ;)

amenditman

I don't usually like food mysteries. I really like knowing what I'm eating.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1
zlim
Posted (edited)

The books include the recipes so you can see exactly what is in the food and bake/cook it if you wish.

The Raspberry Danish mystery has 29 recipes.

No one dies eating the food. That isn't the method used to kill someone.

Edited by zlim
  • Haha 1
abarbarian
On 5/29/2021 at 4:03 PM, zlim said:

The books include the recipes so you can see exactly what is in the food and bake/cook it if you wish.

I am surprised my sister has never found these sort of books. 😋

Do you try out all the recipes ?

Bookmem
On 5/29/2021 at 10:03 AM, zlim said:

Zlim:  Have you read any Jenny Starling mysteries.

zlim
Posted (edited)

Have you read any

Jenny Starling mysteries.

No.

Looks like she publishes under 2 names, Joyce Cato and Faith Martin. I'll have to see if any of the county libraries carry them. All our libraries share books so the pot is so much larger when you request a book. It is shipped to my local branch and I get an email to come and pick it up.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/250718-jenny-starling

I'm currently reading The Semi-Sweet Hereafter (Overdrive, free thru my library) on my 10" android tablet.

And I've requested:

Broken Ice (not a food mystery but his first book, Gone to Dust,  was fantastic)

Shucked Apart (book #9 in the Maine Clambake series)

Pumpkin Spice Peril (book #12 in cupcake mysteries series) - in today but I discovered they now close for lunch. I think the staff is down to 1 person rather than the usual 2.

Edited by zlim
Bookmem
19 hours ago, zlim said:

No.

Looks like she publishes under 2 names, Joyce Cato and Faith Martin. I'll have to see if any of the county libraries carry them. All our libraries share books so the pot is so much larger when you request a book. It is shipped to my local branch and I get an email to come and pick it up.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/250718-jenny-starling

I'm currently reading The Semi-Sweet Hereafter (Overdrive, free thru my library) on my 10" android tablet.

And I've requested:

Broken Ice (not a food mystery but his first book, Gone to Dust,  was fantastic)

Shucked Apart (book #9 in the Maine Clambake series)

Pumpkin Spice Peril (book #12 in cupcake mysteries series) - in today but I discovered they now close for lunch. I think the staff is down to 1 person rather than the usual 2.

Faith Martin is a prolific author.  The Jenny Starling series is just one of many she's written.

abarbarian

Just finished this most excellent read.

The Rose Code

1940. As England prepares to fight the Nazis, three very different women answer the call to mysterious country estate Bletchley Park, where the best minds in Britain train to break German military codes. Vivacious debutante Osla is the girl who has everything—beauty, wealth, and the dashing Prince Philip of Greece sending her roses—but she burns to prove herself as more than a society girl, and puts her fluent German to use as a translator of decoded enemy secrets. Imperious self-made Mab, product of east-end London poverty, works the legendary codebreaking machines as she conceals old wounds and looks for a socially advantageous husband. Both Osla and Mab are quick to see the potential in local village spinster Beth, whose shyness conceals a brilliant facility with puzzles, and soon Beth spreads her wings as one of the Park’s few female cryptanalysts. But war, loss, and the impossible pressure of secrecy will tear the three apart.

Another super read,

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.

A true life story that I found most entertaining, the title says it all.

Ballad of the Whiskey Robber: A True Story of Bank Heists, Ice Hockey, Transylvanian Pelt Smuggling, Moonlighting Detectives, and Broken Hearts by Julian Rubinstein

An as this is a techy site and I am a sci-fi fan i found this little gem filled in several pleasant hours.

The Artificial Kid by Bruce Sterling

Full of great ideas and potential. This book seemed pretty advanced for its time and also was keyed in to some concepts that have become reality - his prescient focus on use of drones to capture people's lives is amazing (think of reality TV's Keeping up with the Kardashians and "Real Housewives").

Considering the book was written 30 years ago it seems as though the author had second sight 😎

• +1 1
abarbarian

A most excellent read.

And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini

So, then. You want a story and I will tell you one...Afghanistan, 1952. Abdullah and his sister Pari live with their father and stepmother in the small village of Shadbagh. Their father, Saboor, is constantly in search of work and they struggle together through poverty and brutal winters. To Abdullah, Pari - as beautiful and sweet-natured as the fairy for which she was named - is everything. More like a parent than a brother, Abdullah will do anything for her, even trading his only pair of shoes for a feather for her treasured collection. Each night they sleep together in their cot, their heads touching, their limbs tangled. One day the siblings journey across the desert to Kabul with their father. Pari and Abdullah have no sense of the fate that awaits them there, for the event which unfolds will tear their lives apart; sometimes a finger must be cut to save the hand. Crossing generations and continents, moving from Kabul, to Paris, to San Francisco, to the Greek island of Tinos, with profound wisdom, depth, insight and compassion, Khaled Hosseini writes about the bonds that define us and shape our lives, the ways in which we help our loved ones in need, how the choices we make resonate through history and how we are often surprised by the people closest to us.

An as we are a techy site this is a must read.

Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro

Klara and the Sun, the first novel by Kazuo Ishiguro since he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature, tells the story of Klara, an Artificial Friend with outstanding observational qualities, who, from her place in the store, watches carefully the behavior of those who come in to browse, and of those who pass on the street outside. She remains hopeful that a customer will soon choose her.

Klara and the Sun is a thrilling book that offers a look at our changing world through the eyes of an unforgettable narrator, and one that explores the fundamental question: What does it mean to love?

😍

sunrat

Khaled Hosseini - I thought that name looked familiar, read "The Kite Runner" many years ago. Certainly an excellent read. Movie was not nearly as good.

abarbarian
8 hours ago, sunrat said:

Khaled Hosseini - I thought that name looked familiar, read "The Kite Runner" many years ago. Certainly an excellent read. Movie was not nearly as good.

Read the book which as you say was a good read. Never saw the movie. 😎

abarbarian

Version Zero by David Yoon

With time on his hands and inside knowledge about the biggest tech companies, Max and his longtime friend—and sometime crush—Akiko, decide to get even by…essentially, rebooting the internet. After all, in order to fix things, sometimes you have to break them.

Interesting plot.

The Hacker and the Ants by Rudy Rucker

"Rudy Rucker warms the cockles of my heart ... I think of him as the Scarlet Pimpernel of science fiction." - Philip Jose Farmer

A very entertaining read.

😎

DarkSerge

I've been reading William Shakespeare's Star Wars saga. Someone wrote the entire main 9 episodes of the Star Wars films into Shakespeare format as if they were all plays, even with stage direction and a few illustrations of what they'd look like on stage - like cutouts of tie fighters on sticks being moved around on stage. Some characters even have special ways of speaking, such as Yoda speaks in haiku.

abarbarian
On 6/28/2021 at 8:32 PM, DarkSerge said:

I've been reading William Shakespeare's Star Wars saga. Someone wrote the entire main 9 episodes of the Star Wars films into Shakespeare format as if they were all plays, even with stage direction and a few illustrations of what they'd look like on stage - like cutouts of tie fighters on sticks being moved around on stage. Some characters even have special ways of speaking, such as Yoda speaks in haiku.

That is just so so wacked out 😲 I wonder what they were taking and for how long 😂

• 2 months later...
abarbarian

This is a very interesting and curious list.

The Most Translated Books From Every Country in the World

Without reading translated books, we’re only seeing a tiny sliver of the literature the world has to offer. Authors are writing incredible books in a variety of languages around the world, but only a small percentage make their way to English translations.

There are some surprising results or at least I thought so.

Canada: Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery

United States of America: The Way to Happiness by L. Ron Hubbard

Austria: Bambi, a Life in the Woods by Felix Salten

Ireland: The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne

South Africa: The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien

Singapore: The Saint in New York by Leslie Charteris

Sri Lanka: The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje

Funnily enough I have read all the above apart from The Way to Happiness. 😎

V.T. Eric Layton
6 hours ago, abarbarian said:

United States of America: The Way to Happiness by L. Ron Hubbard

That single statement completely demonstrates The Decline and Fall of the United States of America Empire.

• Agree 1
abarbarian
On 9/10/2021 at 4:57 PM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

That single statement completely demonstrates The Decline and Fall of the United States of America Empire.

Gore Vidals view of the world from thirty years ago  could pretty much represent todays world 🤓

sunrat
2 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Gore Vidals view of the world from thirty years ago  could pretty much represent todays world 🤓

George Orwell wasn't that far off the predictive mark, especially since Nineteen Eighty-Four came out in 1949. And Aldous Huxley in Brave New World. Must read both of those again soon.

• Agree 1
  • 4 weeks later...
abarbarian

I read the Dune series of books when they came out and though that they were a great read.

Dune Foresaw—and Influenced—Half a Century of Global Conflict

In the decades since Herbert published Dune, in 1965, the book’s ecological, psychological, and spiritual themes have tended to get the credit for its breakout success beyond a hardcore sci-fi audience. In his own public commentary on the book, Herbert focused above all on its environmental messages, and he later became a kind of ecological guru, turning his home in Washington state, which he called Xanadu, into a DIY renewable energy experiment.

The above article is fascinating. It seems that hackers are Dune fans too.

In 2014, cybersecurity threat intelligence firm iSight Partners discovered a group of Russian-speaking hackers carrying out what appeared to be a widespread espionage campaign focused on Eastern Europe. In their malware, the hackers had included strings of text to identify victims: arrakis02, BasharoftheSardaukars, SalusaSecundus2, epsiloneridani0. All references to Dune. Drew Robinson, an iSight analyst who worked on reverse-engi­neering the malware, remembers thinking, “Whoever these hackers were, it seems like they’re Frank Herbert fans.”

😎

I knew in my bones that reading science fiction was the right thing to do when I was growing up. 🤪

• Agree 1