Cluttermagnet

Good Reads - Discussion of Books, Literature, Reading, etc.

abarbarian

Trekker

When Dark Horse Comics gave me the chance to create my own comic years ago–a very rare opportunity at the time–I jumped at the chance to build a vivid, sci-fi setting, and a gifted, troubled young bounty hunter plying her trade through a violent, complex world. Mercy St. Clair’s stories begin in the twisted streets of New Gelaph, but over time carry her farther and farther afield, until she becomes a central player in forces at play in the distant stars . My plan is to tell a life story that stretches out over a long series of action adventures where the character’s journeys are both inward and outward.

Trekker_DarkstarZephyr_Cover-CROP2.jpg

Mercy St.Clair has also returned to print, first through teaming up once again with Dark Horse Comics, and now by turning to Kickstarter to fund the further adventures of Mercy St. Clair in a series of all-new graphic novels at trekkerkickstarter.com.

:breakfast:

• Like 1

abarbarian

I regularly take patients to Singleton Radiotherapy at Swansea Hospital as part of my voluntary driving duties. There they have a table full of books which they sell at 50 p / 64 cents. My recent find and an excellent read which I have just finished is,

The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell.

http://www.bernardcornwell.net/series/the-last-kingdom-series/page/3/

Luckily for me it happens to be the first book in a series, now if only I can find book two.

This extract could almost describe me,

‘I had been given a perfect childhood, perfect, at least, to the ideas of a boy. I was raised among men, I was free, I ran wild, was encumbered by no laws, was troubled by no priests and was encouraged to violence.’

😎

• Like 1

Pete!
4 hours ago, abarbarian said:

I regularly take patients to Singleton Radiotherapy at Swansea Hospital as part of my voluntary driving duties. There they have a table full of books which they sell at 50 p / 64 cents. My recent find and an excellent read which I have just finished is,

The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell.

http://www.bernardcornwell.net/series/the-last-kingdom-series/page/3/

Luckily for me it happens to be the first book in a series, now if only I can find book two.

This extract could almost describe me,

‘I had been given a perfect childhood, perfect, at least, to the ideas of a boy. I was raised among men, I was free, I ran wild, was encumbered by no laws, was troubled by no priests and was encouraged to violence.’

😎

https://b-ok.cc/book/3872561/237ece

• Like 2

zlim

Nice site, Pete. Thanks.

I found a Math book that I'm downloading.

• Like 1

Pete!
2 hours ago, zlim said:

Nice site, Pete. Thanks.

I found a Math book that I'm downloading.

Since I found that site, I seldom turn on my cable box.

My 76 year old eyes don't do well with the print size in a typical paper&ink printed book (especially paperbacks), but with an e- book I can select a type size that doesn't have me reaching for the reading glasses.

If you don't already have a favorite reader, I recommend the e-book viewer in the Calibre suite.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton
3 hours ago, Pete! said:

If you don't already have a favorite reader, I recommend the e-book viewer in the Calibre suite.

I second Calibre and its built-in eBook Reader. I rarely read on my computer. I normally adjust/manipulate my eBook library using Calibre and my Nook reader.

Calibre can be found HERE.

A screenshot of mine...

aN8vSpd.png

• Like 1
  • +1 1

zlim

I actually like the googleplay books for reading. I have both the googleplay books and kindle app on my tablets. I download books on overdrive from my local library.

I don't read on the computer. I might download books but then put them on my tablet or on a micro sd card to read.

I have Calibre installed on my laptop but not for reading. I know two seniors who own Kindle devices. I move books on to the Kindles after converting them to the correct format. My sister-in-law's son bought her a Kindle. She doesn't have internet access, has no email address, has never used a computer, so there is no way she would be able to use a Kindle unless I put books on it for her.  Before I did that, the Kindle sat in a box for months. I'm surprised she didn't throw it away.

• Like 3

abarbarian
On 3/1/2020 at 2:45 PM, Pete! said:

Super site mate, thanks. 😎

I found a cache of free sci-fi books at https://www.baen.com/allbooks/category/index/id/2012?page=2&pageSize=30&filter=created_at&dir=DESC. Just finished The Northworld Triology by David Drake which was ok I suppose for a light time waster. Next on the list is There Will Be Dragons by John Ringo with a title like that you just have to explore the unknown.😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ssherjj

Thank you guys for posting all those links. Great information and I'll have to check out Calibre as well. Need to bookmark them for sure.😊

• Agree 1

abarbarian

Day the World Stood Still by John Cooper Clarke

Deafening whispers loud and clear
The sound of nothing meets my ears
I get the message – i know the drill
This is the day the world stood still

The day the world stood still
The day the world stood still
No traffic noise or sparrows trill
From the dead flowers on the window sill
This is the day the world stood still