A first look at the new GIMP 2.0

havnblast

Thanx Julia :D Didn't GET to the "Vanilla Mode" with Suse 9.0 even after choosing my Monitor as a Daytek.OOPS it's the nVidia thats the problem NOT the Monitor.Think before I venture TOO far from Xandros will need to find a nVidia FRIENDLY Distro.Colin B)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• Bruno

• SonicDragon

• quint

Hi ColinHow come you had no problem with nVidia in SUSE 8.2 . . . . and now suddenly in SUSE 9.0 you have ?? Does not make sense . . . As long as the "real" nVidia drivers are not installed it should use generic ones . . B) Bruno

Hi all again :D Suse changed what ever after Suse 8.2 don't know what but they did.On a LIGHTER not downloaded Gimp-1.2.5 tar.gz went throough the steps for install like with 2.0And even did the cd gimpls./configure and GTK failed searched the cds several gtk's any idea which one to install to go at it againColin B)

Hi ColinLet us first focus on your SUSE install in the other thread . . .we can come back to The Gimp later . . . one thing at a time ;)B) Bruno

Yeah Julia :whistling: Looks like it and a trip to Nvidia to see about there Linux Drivers.But unlike me I wrote down the site Suse shows a HOWTO for NVidia but don't know if I'm Game for that right nowStill got the C80 to set up now that it's nearly wiped clean (THANK  :thumbsup:  you JOYCE It needed your personal touch this morning)So where to from here I hope  :angry2:  can only be UPColin  ;)
I downloaded the drivers for Xandros, but there is noway to kill X as far as I know Cntl- Alt-F1 just takes you out of the gui but still leaves it running. I was able to do it once and I can't remember how I did it - cause I would like to install the nvidia drivers for 2.6, I got the prior version.I even posted on the Xandros forum on how to kill X and nothing --- I have no idea

Hi all again  :whistling: Suse changed what ever after Suse 8.2 don't know what but they did.On a LIGHTER not downloaded Gimp-1.2.5  tar.gz went throough the steps for install like with 2.0And even did the cd gimpls./configure and GTK failed searched the cds several gtk's any idea which one to install to go at it againColin ;)
Colin,You can get "The Gimp (v1.2.3)" from: "Xandros Networks" > "New Applications" > "Graphics". :angry2: Assuming that you want it for "Xandros 2.0".BTW, when I installed "Xandros 2.0", the "nVidia drivers" were installed...don't you get the "nVidia splash screen" when you first boot up? :thumbsup:

I downloaded the drivers for Xandros, but there is noway to kill X as far as I know  Cntl- Alt-F1 just takes you out of the gui but still leaves it running.  I was able to do it once and I can't remember how I did it - cause I would like to install the nvidia drivers for 2.6, I got the prior version.I even posted on the Xandros forum on how to kill X and nothing --- I have no idea
Kelly,After you do: "Ctrl+Alt+F1", login as "root", then type: "init 3" (without quotes)...that should do it. :whistling:

Hi Quint thanx :unsure: Believe I installed Gimp 1.2.3 from Xandros networks BUT the Gimp 1.2.5 looked a new breed and Intrigued me as much as the Gimp 2.0 developers.One of my flaws seems to want to upgrade before I become familiar with the last version of any software B) Thankx ;) again Quint

SonicDragon
One of my flaws seems to want to upgrade before I become familiar with the last version of any software
I'm the same way. I always want to play with the latest and greatest. I love running slackware-current!

Hi et alAny ideas on this one for the Gimp 1.2.5kamicota@linux:~> cd gimp-1.2.5kamicota@linux:~/gimp-1.2.5> lsABOUT-NLS acconfig.h gimp-zip.in ltmain.shAUTHORS acinclude.m4 gimp.m4 missingCOPYING aclocal.m4 gimp.spec.in mkinstalldirsChangeLog app gimp_logo.ppm modulesChangeLog.pre-1-0 build gimp_splash.ppm pixmapsChangeLog.pre-1-2 config.guess gimprc-1.2.5.in plug-insINSTALL config.h.in gimprc.in poMAINTAINERS config.h.win32 gimprc_user.in po-libgimpMakefile.am config.sub gimptool-1.2.1.in po-plug-insMakefile.in configure gimptool-1.2.in po-script-fuNEWS configure.in gimptool-win32.c.in ps-menurcPLUGIN_MAINTAINERS cursors gtkrc rmshmREADME data gtkrc_user stamp-h.inREADME.i18n devel-docs help tipsREADME.perl docs install-sh toolsREADME.win32 gimp-1.2.1.in intl unitrcTODO gimp-remote-1.2.1.in libgimp user_installkamicota@linux:~/gimp-1.2.5> ./configuebash: ./configue: No such file or directorykamicota@linux:~/gimp-1.2.5>Colin :)

You have an error; try using ./configure. Before going through the trouble of compiling and installing a new version, you might take a look at the ChangeLog and see if anything significant has changed ot make it worthwhile.hthtranquilo

Tried it I think ./configure irst NOT ls BUT again GTK failedkamicota@linux:~> cd gimp-1.2.5kamicota@linux:~/gimp-1.2.5> ./configurechecking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -cchecking whether build environment is sane... yeschecking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yeschecking for working aclocal-1.4... missingchecking for working autoconf... foundchecking for working automake-1.4... missingchecking for working autoheader... foundchecking for working makeinfo... foundchecking for gcc... gccchecking for C compiler default output... a.outchecking whether the C compiler works... yeschecking whether we are cross compiling... nochecking for suffix of executables...checking for suffix of object files... ochecking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yeschecking whether gcc accepts -g... yeschecking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none neededchecking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuchecking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuchecking for ld used by GCC... /usr/i486-suse-linux/bin/ldchecking if the linker (/usr/i486-suse-linux/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yeschecking for /usr/i486-suse-linux/bin/ld option to reload object files... -rchecking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -Bchecking for a sed that does not truncate output... /usr/bin/sedchecking whether ln -s works... yeschecking how to recognise dependent libraries... pass_allchecking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output... okchecking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -Echecking for egrep... grep -Echecking for ANSI C header files... yeschecking for sys/types.h... yeschecking for sys/stat.h... yeschecking for stdlib.h... yeschecking for string.h... yeschecking for memory.h... yeschecking for strings.h... yeschecking for inttypes.h... yeschecking for stdint.h... yeschecking for unistd.h... yeschecking dlfcn.h usability... yeschecking dlfcn.h presence... yeschecking for dlfcn.h... yeschecking for ranlib... ranlibchecking for strip... stripchecking for objdir... .libschecking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPICchecking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yeschecking if gcc static flag -static works... yeschecking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yeschecking if gcc supports -c -o file.lo... yeschecking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... yeschecking whether the linker (/usr/i486-suse-linux/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yeschecking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediatechecking whether stripping libraries is possible... yeschecking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.sochecking if libtool supports shared libraries... yeschecking whether to build shared libraries... yeschecking whether to build static libraries... yeschecking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... nocreating libtoolchecking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... nochecking for some Win32 platform... nochecking for native Win32... nochecking for strerror in -lcposix... nochecking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none neededchecking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -cchecking whether ln -s works... yeschecking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yeschecking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -Echecking whether we are using the GNU C Library 2.1 or newer... yeschecking argz.h usability... yeschecking argz.h presence... yeschecking for argz.h... yeschecking limits.h usability... yeschecking limits.h presence... yeschecking for limits.h... yeschecking locale.h usability... yeschecking locale.h presence... yeschecking for locale.h... yeschecking nl_types.h usability... yeschecking nl_types.h presence... yeschecking for nl_types.h... yeschecking malloc.h usability... yeschecking malloc.h presence... yeschecking for malloc.h... yeschecking stddef.h usability... yeschecking stddef.h presence... yeschecking for stddef.h... yeschecking for stdlib.h... (cached) yeschecking for string.h... (cached) yeschecking for unistd.h... (cached) yeschecking sys/param.h usability... yeschecking sys/param.h presence... yeschecking for sys/param.h... yeschecking for feof_unlocked... yeschecking for fgets_unlocked... yeschecking for getcwd... yeschecking for getegid... yeschecking for geteuid... yeschecking for getgid... yeschecking for getuid... yeschecking for mempcpy... yeschecking for munmap... yeschecking for putenv... yeschecking for setenv... yeschecking for setlocale... yeschecking for stpcpy... yeschecking for strchr... yeschecking for strcasecmp... yeschecking for strdup... yeschecking for strtoul... yeschecking for tsearch... yeschecking for __argz_count... yeschecking for __argz_stringify... yeschecking for __argz_next... yeschecking for iconv... yeschecking for iconv declaration... extern size_t iconv (iconv_t cd, char * *inbuf, size_t *inbytesleft, char * *outbuf, size_t *outbytesleft);checking for nl_langinfo and CODESET... yeschecking for LC_MESSAGES... yeschecking whether NLS is requested... yeschecking whether included gettext is requested... nochecking libintl.h usability... yeschecking libintl.h presence... yeschecking for libintl.h... yeschecking for GNU gettext in libc... yeschecking for dcgettext... yeschecking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmtchecking for gmsgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmtchecking for xgettext... /usr/bin/xgettextchecking for bison... bisonchecking version of bison... 1.75, okchecking for catalogs to be installed... ca cs da de el en_GB es fi fr ga gl hu hr it ja ko lt nl nn no pl pt pt_BR ro ru sk sl sv tr uk zh_CN zh_TWchecking for gtk-config... nochecking for GTK - version >= 1.2.8... no*** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found*** If GTK was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in*** your path, or set the GTK_CONFIG environment variable to the*** full path to gtk-config.configure: error: Test for GTK failed. See the file 'INSTALL' for help.kamicota@linux:~/gimp-1.2.5>Colin :)

Do you have the gtk development files installed?This may be what you need, but there may also be other needed packages.gtk-devel-1.2.10-556.i586.rpmAgain, are you sure this is worth the trouble? The changelog should let you know what has changed since gimp-1.2.3.hthtranquilo

Thankx :) hthThat gtk got me a little further, the need for a PNGconfigure: WARNING: *** PNG plug-in will not be built (PNG library not found) ***configure: WARNING: *** PNG plug-in will not be built (PNG header file not found) ***configure: error:*** Checks for PNG library failed. You can build without it by passing*** --without-libpng to configure but you won't be able to use PNGs then.kamicota@linux:~/gimp-1.2.5>So we are making progressWhether it's worth well that remains in obeyance right now BUT I sure ENJOY the JOURNEY even though the end result may NOT work :) Colin :)

Try installing the png developement files. You also need the png libraries if you don't have them installed.libpng-devel-1.2.5-25.i586.rpmlibpng-1.2.5-25.i586.rpmhthtranquilo

Hi Colin,Have found you a "Gimp 1.3.19" (rpm), that works in SuSE 8.2!! :rolleyes: GIMP-icon.jpgJust download, and install:

linux:/home/quint/tmp # rpm -Uvh gimp-1.3.19-SuSE.ulb.1.i586.rpmgimp                        ##################################################linux:/home/quint/tmp #
Good fortune. B)

The quote is quint successfully upgrading the gimp from a console.From the rpm man page, these are the three options used: rpm {-U|--upgrade} [install-options] PACKAGE_FILE ... This upgrades or installs the package currently installed to a newer version. This is the same as install, except all other version(s) of the package are removed after the new package is installed. -v Print verbose information - normally routine progress messages will be displayed. -h, --hash Print 50 hash marks as the package archive is unpacked. Use with -v|--verbose for a nicer dis- play.hthtranquilo

Heck TranquilloI Don't :rolleyes: :) have to do all that DO I ???I'm was going to double click on it and let YAST do the rest or is that unwise B) Colin :)

I haven't used YAST, nor have I used an rpm based distro in over a year. However, you should be able to install the gimp, using the same (or similar) options as quint.hthtranquilo

Heck TranquilloI Don't  o:)  o:)  have to do all that DO I ???I'm was going to double click on it and let YAST do the rest or is that unwise  :) Colin  :w00t:
Yast is the wise way to do it. Let Yast take care of your dependency problems...Julia :)

Well hthGot to try something Using yast gave conflicts with sane requires libgimp-1.2.so.0Conflict Resolution Do Not upgrade Gimp Remove all 2 conflicting packages delete kdegraphics3-scan delete saneOR Ignore conflicy and risk system inconsistenciesColin o:)

Yeah I couldn't agrees more o:) JuliaBut nothing happened there wasn't an installing or setting up linker cache or nothing :w00t: And when I open gimp it looks exactly the sameColin o:)