• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kamicota

• Bruno

• SonicDragon

• quint

I have to think since I am at work and have no Linux. You can try update-menus from the command prompt or go into your commands for Yast and look around for it.Julia o:)

No success in finding commands to update menus, update_menus, update_ start applicationsOh well the plot thickens on the Suse 8.2 trail just "Gimping" :w00t: along aren't we o:) o:) :) Colin :)

Colin,First off - YAST does not like my system...at all!!! :) I do all updates, etc., from the "konsole"; which is why I put the process in the "Quote"...(thanks Tranquilo, for informing). Julia's advice to use "YAST" is the best course...but I don't understand why you had a problem. o:) I had "Gimp 1.2.3" installed, used the konsole to install (update) it to "Gimp 1.3.19"...took mere seconds, and it also automatically "updates the menu", for the "Gimp" selection...couldn't be easier. o:) BTW, I also had a "Gimp 1.2.3" icon on the taskbar, and it, too, opens the new version. HTH's somehow. :w00t:

HTH thankx  :thumbsup: What commands do I put in the console to update to 1.3 etcColin
Colin, The explanation of what I did is in Tranquilo's post:
The quote is quint successfully upgrading the gimp from a console.From the rpm man page, these are the three options used:rpm {-U|--upgrade} [install-options] PACKAGE_FILE ...This upgrades or installs the package currently installedto a newer version. This is the same as install, exceptall other version(s) of the package are removed after thenew package is installed.-v Print verbose information - normally routineprogress messages will be displayed.-h, --hashPrint 50 hash marks as the package archive isunpacked. Use with -v|--verbose for a nicer dis-play.hthtranquilo
Good fortune...try Julia's advice first. ;)

Hi QuintTried Julias and nothing happendhere waht happened with yourskamicota@linux:~> rpm {-U|--upgrade} [install-options] PACKAGE_FILE ...bash: --upgrade}: command not foundkamicota@linux:~> rpm {-U|--upgrade} [install-options] gimp-1.3.19bash: --upgrade}: command not foundkamicota@linux:~> rpm {-U|--upgrade} gimp-1.3.19bash: --upgrade}: command not foundkamicota@linux:~> rpm gimp-1.3.19RPM version 3.0.6Copyright © 1998 - Red Hat SoftwareThis may be freely redistributed under the terms of the GNU GPLUsage: rpm {--help} rpm {--version} rpm {--initdb} [--dbpath <dir>] rpm {--install -i} [-v] [--hash -h] [--percent] [--force] [--test] [--replacepkgs] [--replacefiles] [--root <dir>] [--excludedocs] [--includedocs] [--noscripts] [--rcfile <file>] [--ignorearch] [--dbpath <dir>] [--prefix <dir>] [--ignoreos] [--nodeps] [--allfiles] [--ftpproxy <host>] [--ftpport <port>] [--justdb] [--httpproxy <host>] [--httpport <port>] [--noorder] [--relocate oldpath=newpath] [--badreloc] [--notriggers] [--excludepath <path>] [--ignoresize] file1.rpm ... fileN.rpm rpm {--upgrade -U} [-v] [--hash -h] [--percent] [--force] [--test] [--oldpackage] [--root <dir>] [--noscripts] [--excludedocs] [--includedocs] [--rcfile <file>] [--ignorearch] [--dbpath <dir>] [--prefix <dir>] [--ftpproxy <host>] [--ftpport <port>] [--httpproxy <host>] [--httpport <port>] [--ignoreos] [--nodeps] [--allfiles] [--justdb] [--noorder] [--relocate oldpath=newpath] [--badreloc] [--excludepath <path>] [--ignoresize] file1.rpm ... fileN.rpm rpm {--query -q} [-afpg] [-i] [-l] [-s] [-d] [-c] [-v] [-R] [--scripts] [--root <dir>] [--rcfile <file>] [--whatprovides] [--whatrequires] [--requires] [--triggeredby] [--ftpport] [--ftpproxy <host>] [--httpproxy <host>] [--httpport <port>] [--ftpport <port>] [--provides] [--triggers] [--dump] [--changelog] [--dbpath <dir>] [targets] rpm {--verify -V -y} [-afpg] [--root <dir>] [--rcfile <file>] [--dbpath <dir>] [--nodeps] [--nofiles] [--noscripts] [--nomd5] [targets] rpm {--setperms} [-afpg] [target] rpm {--setugids} [-afpg] [target] rpm {--freshen -F} file1.rpm ... fileN.rpm rpm {--erase -e} [--root <dir>] [--noscripts] [--rcfile <file>] [--dbpath <dir>] [--nodeps] [--allmatches] [--justdb] [--notriggers] rpackage1 ... packageN rpm {-b|t}[plciba] [-v] [--short-circuit] [--clean] [--rcfile <file>] [--sign] [--nobuild] [--timecheck <s>] ] [--target=platform1[,platform2...]] [--rmsource] [--rmspec] specfile rpm {--rmsource} [--rcfile <file>] [-v] specfile rpm {--rebuild} [--rcfile <file>] [-v] source1.rpm ... sourceN.rpm rpm {--recompile} [--rcfile <file>] [-v] source1.rpm ... sourceN.rpm rpm {--resign} [--rcfile <file>] package1 package2 ... packageN rpm {--addsign} [--rcfile <file>] package1 package2 ... packageN rpm {--checksig -K} [--nopgp] [--nogpg] [--nomd5] [--rcfile <file>] package1 ... packageN rpm {--rebuilddb} [--rcfile <file>] [--dbpath <dir>] rpm {--querytags}kamicota@linux:~>Colin r :thumbsup:

Colin,This is all you have to do: (open a "konsole" and goto the directory where you downloaded the "gimp" file...then:)

kamicota@linux:$ sukamicota@linux:$ (enter your password)kamicota@linux:# rpm -Uvh gimp-1.3.19-SuSE.ulb.1.i586.rpm ("space" between rpm and -Uvh and gimp-1.3.19-SuSE.ulb.1.i586.rpm)
Good fortune. :thumbsup:

Hi Quint :o Another trek in the Forest of Trees :thumbsup: kamicota@linux:~> cd gimpkamicota@linux:~/gimp> suPassword:linux:/home/kamicota/gimp # rpm -Uvh gimp-1.3.19-SuSE.ulb.1.i586.rpmerror: failed dependencies: libgimp-1.2.so.0 is needed by sane-1.0.10-36linux:/home/kamicota/gimp #Now have to install the libgimp wherever it is on the Install Cd eh???Colin ;)

As Far as I know QuintI installed it with the Suse 8.2 install BUT OOPS may have erased it with the conflict when I was upgrading to Gimp 1.2.5 Guess I'm at a Stalemate againColin :thumbsup:

Well Quint ;)  :o  :o  Surprise Surprise Yast reinstalled it gimp-1.2.3-360-i586So the procedure now isColin
Colin,This is all you have to do: (open a "konsole" and goto the directory where you downloaded the "gimp" file...then:)QUOTEkamicota@linux:$ sukamicota@linux:$ (enter your password)kamicota@linux:# rpm -Uvh gimp-1.3.19-SuSE.ulb.1.i586.rpm ("space" between rpm and -Uvh and gimp-1.3.19-SuSE.ulb.1.i586.rpm)Good fortune.
:thumbsup:

Tried the cd gimp, su etc and still needing that sane lib package ;)  Colin
Colin, I do not know why... :thumbsup: Will boot into SuSE 8.2 shortly, to see what I have there...it should have worked. :o

Boy SURE putting you through the MILL  :o  ;) Colin  :thumbsup:
Not at all, Colin...I enjoy Linux, and want to learn as much as possible...I just wish I could be of more help to you. :o Especially when I find this on my system:
quint@linux:~> whereis sane-1.0.10-36sane-1.0:quint@linux:~> whereis libgimp-1.2.so.0libgimp-1.2.so:quint@linux:~> suPassword:linux:/home/quint # whereis libgimp-1.2.so.0libgimp-1.2.so:linux:/home/quint # whereis sane-1.0.10-36sane-1.0:linux:/home/quint # whereis gimp-1.3.19gimp-1.3: /usr/bin/gimp-1.3 /usr/man/man1/gimp-1.3.1.gzlinux:/home/quint #
Interesting...

Your version of sane requires libgimp-1.2.so.0 which is provided by gimp-1.2.3. gimp-1.3 includes libgimp-1.3.so.19.quint,keep in mind that libgimp-1.2.so.0 and libgimp-1.3.so.19 are symbolic links, pointing to libgimp-1.2.so.0.0.3 and libgimp-1.3.so.19.0.0, respectively.libgimp-1.2.so.0 -> libgimp-1.2.so.0.0.3libgimp-1.3.so.19 -> libgimp-1.3.so.19.0.0hthtranquilo

Here's mine with a couple of spelling mistakeskamicota@linux:~> whereis sane-1.0.10.36sane-1.0.10:kamicota@linux:~> wheris libgimp-1.2.so.0bash: wheris: command not foundkamicota@linux:~> whereis libgimp-1.2so.0libgimp-1.2so:kamicota@linux:~> home/kamicota # whereis sane-1.0.10-36bash: home/kamicota: No such file or directorykamicota@linux:~> /home/kamicota # whereis gimp-1.3.19bash: /home/kamicota: is a directorykamicota@linux:~>Colin :thumbsup:

Your version of sane requires libgimp-1.2.so.0 which is provided by gimp-1.2.3.  gimp-1.3 includes libgimp-1.3.so.19.quint,keep in mind that libgimp-1.2.so.0 and libgimp-1.3.so.19 are symbolic links, pointing to libgimp-1.2.so.0.0.3 and libgimp-1.3.so.19.0.0, respectively.libgimp-1.2.so.0 -> libgimp-1.2.so.0.0.3libgimp-1.3.so.19 -> libgimp-1.3.so.19.0.0hthtranquilo
Thanks, Tranquilo...I was wondering where they went. :rolleyes: Still wish I had some definite help for Colin. :(

A simple way to check what you have installed is:rpm -qa | grep some_filename_hererpm -qa | grep libgimprpm -qa | grep gimprpm -qa | grep saneOf course, I suppose you could use YAST but I know nothing about it since I am not a suse user... ;)hthtranquilo

I GIVE up ;) :huh: I THINKSomewhere in all this there is a bigger lesson for me to swallow the pride and just play with what I HAVE installed and probably go back in the posts find what it is that was deleted & see if they can be restored or something along those lines :blink: :ermm: :'( :lol: Quint :( Tranquillo :rolleyes: I have had another exciting ride into the linux Console :( Colin :D