looking for thoughts on installing an *nix on old laptop

crp

V.T. Eric Layton

If you don't wear your glasses when you're sleeping, are your dreams blurry? Inquiring minds wanna' know.

securitybreach

If you don't wear your glasses when you're sleeping, are your dreams blurry? Inquiring minds wanna' know.

Well reality is only perception so possibly :hysterical: B)

:bangin: getting back on subject:

• antiX - would not burn to CD (too big)
  • bodhi - would not install, and it didn't know why ("unable to proceed due to unknown error")
  • Vector Linux Light - installing right now but taking its time about it. Will check it in the morning

securitybreach

Have you tried regular Slackware? The reason I ask is because I had Slackware 10.1 running a couple of years ago on an ancient AMD K-6 (from 1997) and it ran pretty smooth with Fluxbox and Openbox.

It is worth a try anyway :thumbsup:

abarbarian

:bangin: getting back on subject:

• antiX - would not burn to CD (too big)
  • bodhi - would not install, and it didn't know why ("unable to proceed due to unknown error")
  • Vector Linux Light - installing right now but taking its time about it. Will check it in the morning

You must be using small cd's then. :breakfast:

Looking for the latest version? Download antiX-486.iso (698.4 MB)

Vector Linux Light 7 :th_Smileywave:

Actually it had the same problem with the screen as the others that installed, but , while it took a bit of time the installation process also provided a "use this if the screen doesn't work" installation routine.

Downside - SlackWare, which means learning curve. Mitigation to downside: if sendmail and simpleproxy work straight out, I shouldn't have to worry about any of that - especially since I was able to install WebMin .

Thanks for all the inputs. I'll update on how the sendmail and simpleproxy installs and running go.

I still think you should try and get a burn of AntiX 486. It also has an option for ugly old video with a lot of boot cheatcodes. I say this because it worked for me with my own Compaq. Vector Linux also worked for me but I found it to be more difficult to upgrade. AntiX is based on Mepis and Debian.

V.T. Eric Layton

Vector is just a spiffied up Slackware. If you can run Vector, a vanilla Slack should scream along on that system.

Well the old laptop is able to run sendmail and simpleproxy :blissysmile:

and I was able to get an old Buffalo TeraStation to start up and run :th_run-around-smiley:

AND

i found an internal ZIP drive :happyroll:

but , wow, Slackware sure is different from the RH family. Hopefully I can work around my ignorance of SlackWare.

(though why can't i run the sendmail init script as root when the script's ACL is set to root?)