looking for thoughts on installing an *nix on old laptop

crp

I should probably confess that I am the proud owner of an even more pathetic system than the Armada. Wait for it...

Fujitsu Lifebook 735Dx (1997)

Pentium 133 MMX, 80 MB RAM (maxed out), 800X600 display, 1.6 GB HDD, no CD-ROM, no USB boot.

It was a point of pride for me that I got anything at all to run on this machine. It won't run wifi, but I was able to plug in a PCMCIA Ethernet card. I got a copy of Deli Linux 0.7 on floppies, installed that and downloaded the rest of the system over the Internet. It runs an IceWM GUI and just barely has enough power to load an early version of Firefox. I don't see much of an upgrade path here, frankly.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1

Guest LilBambi

xfce is pretty lightweight as is LXDE. Hope you get it working. Interested to hear about that as we have not tried Bodhi as yet and have an older P4 but with only 256MB RAM. Might work well for them too. Newer Nix would work but be sluggish with that little RAM.

Next thing you know, Ray is going to post that he has an even OLDER computer he is trying to run linux on. :hysterical:

Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 1

LOL! Ian! :hysterical: Trash 80! That would be fun!

Next thing you know, Ray is going to post that he has an even OLDER computer he is trying to run linux on. :hysterical:

Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 1

No, even senior citizens have only finite time to waste on this stuff. It seems ironic to be configuring a Pentium II 266 while checking the documentation on a Sandy Bridge i5 desktop. I guess that's Linux for you.

I think the absolute minimum you can use for Linux is a 386 because Linux didn't even exist back in the 8086, 286 days.

Maybe I should start learning CP/M. :hysterical:

Edited by raymac46

<sigh> Salix xFce came so close, but it is a no go as well.

The display comes up in triplicate panels, none of which even show the whole desktop. tried the only change available from 800*600 => 640*480 but that was even worse.

I'm starting the dl of Porteus-v1.2-i486.iso now. Might get to installing today, if not Sunday.

amenditman

@crp

I don't see where you have tried Anti-X yet.

You really should because the entire focus of the distro is keeping outdated hardware, like yours, doing useful work. There are a few different boot options listed on the splash screen to help get different kinds of hardware to function, especially display and low ram issues.

I play with old stuff like this all the time and Anti-X is THE go to for anything not running a Pentium 4 or equal.

I am sort of going in order of mention so if I hit one that works I am not going to keep on going. If Proteus doesn't work, i think Anti-X is next.

Want to do sendmail server as well as redirection of incoming connections.

Proteus had same problem with triple paneling the monitor :(

m0n0wall doesn't do sendmail

Anti-X is next, though i will need to dl at home since torrents are off at work.

I like Vector Linux a lot but anything after VL 5.8 did not run the fan in my old Armada so I quickly ran into overheating and shutdown. Bodhi is a super distro as well but no fan support on the old hardware.

I'm glad I participated in this thread and found out about Antix 486. It's a great solution.

Edited by raymac46

Rolling is as rolling does. I like the idea of rolling release, but have not tried Arch because of all the little issues that are posted here.

I agree totally. Seeing some of the issues that the infinitely more learned folks here have with Arch makes me think I am not smart enough to delve into it. I cannot even follow some of the tech-speak in the forum threads regarding Arch fixes. >_<

I have purchased a really cool little 8g thumb drive specifically for Arch, but have not unwrapped it, due entirely to my cowardice.

securitybreach

I agree totally. Seeing some of the issues that the infinitely more learned folks here have with Arch makes me think I am not smart enough to delve into it. I cannot even follow some of the tech-speak in the forum threads regarding Arch fixes. >_

I have purchased a really cool little 8g thumb drive specifically for Arch, but have not unwrapped it, due entirely to my cowardice.

Am I the only one here that is not experiencing any issues at all with Archlinux? I find it rather simple to admin compared to 'easier' distros. Maybe I am just special B)

V.T. Eric Layton

You had issues with multiple monitors recently. I seem to remember you trashing your Arch in the process (not Arch's fault, though). :yes:

And Cookie, don't shy way from Arch because a cantankerous, doddering old Slackware user whines and moans about it all the time. ;)

securitybreach

You had issues with multiple monitors recently. I seem to remember you trashing your Arch in the process (not Arch's fault, though). :yes:

Actually that had nothing to do with Archlinux at all. That issue was the Catalyst driver for Linux. Remember I tried numerous distros trying to get it to work but finally got it working on Archlinux after borking my system in the process.

I actually tried Ubuntu, Mandriva, Debian, Fedora and Mepis with no avail. The reason Arch worked so well is that it does not try to preload the opensource Radon driver like other distros do.

V.T. Eric Layton

That's what you get. You only have two eyes. What could you possibly want with four monitors. ;)

securitybreach

That's what you get. You only have two eyes. What could you possibly want with four monitors. ;)

Right :ph34r:

Am I the only one here that is not experiencing any issues at all with Archlinux? I find it rather simple to admin compared to 'easier' distros. Maybe I am just special B)

I had a friend who went to school in a special white bus. :D

• Like 1

abarbarian

I never had no problems with Arch none whatsoever. o:)

Learning oportunities however were plentiful. :th_run-around-smiley:

Cookie if you do not feel brave enough st the moment to try Arch. Give Porteus a go. :thumbup:

securitybreach

I had a friend who went to school in a special white bus. :D

I actually almost typed special-ed on that post last night :hysterical:

I agree totally. Seeing some of the issues that the infinitely more learned folks here have with Arch makes me think I am not smart enough to delve into it. I cannot even follow some of the tech-speak in the forum threads regarding Arch fixes. >_<

I see this as a challenge. Cookie, in the VERY short time you have been using Linux, I have seen you fix issues already on your own. You are definitely a PRIME canidate for Arch Linux. You like me, want to "LEARN" Linux and not just looking for a distro that will get you on the internet and let you check your MyFace....Or is is MyBook?? Face Place???? You know what I mean. Key up the Rocky theme music.....Cookie IS going to become an Archer!!!!

Josh wears glasses when he is computing. 4 eyes. :hysterical: Oh and Josh.......You definitely ARE special my friend. ;)

securitybreach

I see this as a challenge. Cookie, in the VERY short time you have been using Linux, I have seen you fix issues already on your own. You are definitely a PRIME canidate for Arch Linux. You like me, want to "LEARN" Linux and not just looking for a distro that will get you on the internet and let you check your MyFace....Or is is MyBook?? Face Place???? You know what I mean. Key up the Rocky theme music.....Cookie IS going to become an Archer!!!!

Agreed :thumbsup:

Josh wears glasses when he is computing. 4 eyes. :hysterical: Oh and Josh.......You definitely ARE special my friend. ;)

Actually I wear glasses all the time (well when I am awake), so yes I have four eyes most of the time. As far as being special, shhhh I do not want everyone to know :hysterical:

B)

As far as being special, shhhh I do not want everyone to know :hysterical:

B)

Hey, you let the cat out of the bag on that one my friend. :hysterical: