• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• abarbarian

• securitybreach

• saturnian

• V.T. Eric Layton

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, I'm already retired (sans income). I'll have to wait on that big lottery jackpot.

Heck... I'd like to just get around to seeing more of this one.

We have visited London many times over the years. I first went there in 1981. Then in the late 1990s we went there often on our March school breaks. Also visited in 2006, 2008, 2012 and 2013. It took

Posted Images

abarbarian
Posted (edited)

THEMES for WINDOW MAKER

In the link above are a few themes for Window Maker that I have found around the net and also a few that I have cobbled together.

The folder is less than 50 MB.

I think I have tried all the themes and they should all work on the latest version of Window Maker. Some of them will not display the backgrounds correctly, they will display but some of the backgrounds are set up for old monitors and the backgrounds need resizing for modern monitors.

However there are plenty of themes that do work well so have fun trying them out.

To use them simply copy the contents of,

WindowMakerThemes

to your

~/GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker/Themes

Enjoy.

😎

Edited by abarbarian
  • +1 1
raymac46

Reading through this thread I have concluded that (as usual) I am about 7 years behind everyone else here at BATL. Oh well...

raymac46

I have tried to download the Themes folder .zip file but I keep getting timeouts.

raymac46

Finally got the Themes folder to download. Some of the themes are awesome.

bridgetheme.jpg

• +1 1
abarbarian
19 hours ago, raymac46 said:

I have tried to download the Themes folder .zip file but I keep getting timeouts.

Yeah the free version of Mega takes quite a while to download. The uploads seem pretty decent though. I tested the download and I had to leave it running for over an hour and it timed out but restarted at least five times. You do get 15GB free cloud space so I and any size upload so I ain't complaining. 😎

An yes some of those themes are darn neat. There are some more out in the wild on a couple of sites but I thought they were boring and did not download them.Some sites with themes have disappeared since I started my affair with Window Maker. I wish I had taken the time to download their themes and I also wish I had taken note of who to mention as the creator of some of the themes.😛

raymac46

I ended up downloading the .zip onto my Windows desktop which is connected via wire to my router. Then I transferred the file to my network drive and copied it over to my Debian laptop. All is well now.

abarbarian

Return to Window Maker (on Xubuntu 15.10)

The above article though from 2016 is quite interesting and contained what I thought might be interesting to Debian based users this snippet,

As someone noted in the previous article, there is no need to run wicd if you don’t want to. The standard Network Manager works just fine, and you can manipulate it from the system tray (the dockapp wmsystemtray) just by running its system tray applet:

nm-applet &

An a 2020 article for Window Maker on a Debian based os.

Relive the NeXTSTEP Operating System with Window Maker

At the top right of the desktop is the Preferences icon. Double-click to open it.

Window Maker Preferences

The available preferences are surprisingly thorough, allowing a greater level of control than many modern Linux desktops.

Window Maker Control Center

It’s well worth defining your shortcut keys in particular, as this desktop works very well when keyboard-driven.

Window Maker old but still able to kick a** 😋

• +1 1
raymac46

I have not installed wicd and Network Manager is running just fine on Debian. I shall have to try setting up the applet.

For me, the key thing about using WM is the historical context. How many DEs from 1989 are still around? I remember running Amiga O/S back then but today you'd need an emulator for that.

abarbarian
Posted (edited)
abarbarian
Posted (edited)

Ok this is the last post on Window Maker Themes for a while. In the latest Window Maker it is pretty easy to make your own theme including your own wallpaper/background. What is a little more difficult is making fancy title bars and dock app backgrounds and such like. Which is why I have included as many Themes as I could find as some of them have some very fancy title bars and such like. For instance if you go to

https://unknownlamer.org/art/wmaker-themes.html

and download

https://unknownlamer.org/files/themes/niftybg.tar.gz

you will find an excellent example of just how fancy you can make a theme.

Now if you go to the Window Maker site they give some links to various theme downloads,

https://www.windowmaker.org/themes/#

However the "Jess Anderson " link takes you to the WaybackMachine site which shows hundreds of Joss Anderson themes. Unfortunately you can only download a small portion of them and you only find out which ones you can download by trying every theme. That can be pretty time consuming so I have done that and put all the Jess Anderson themes I could find in one folder and made them available from here,

Jess Anderson Themes for Window Maker

If you fancy making your own theme it is pretty easy to do and these links will be of help to you.

Window Maker Backgrounds and Themes

Explanation of colour gradients in title bars etc

Theming Window Maker Part 1;Styles

enjoy 😋

Edited by abarbarian
abarbarian

WIKIWAND entry for WINDOW MAKER

Menu

The application menu can be edited graphically with much versatility. The configuration is recorded in ~/GNUstep/Defaults/WMRootMenu as a text file which can be easily read and edited (in versions after 0.94.0 it can also be automatically generated from a list of installed applications using a program called wmgenmenu).

Menu items can be set to:

• Launch a program or application with or without a filename and other arguments
  • Launch a command line interface with or without further arguments
  • Run a WM command, such as exiting a Window Maker session or listing windows and workspaces
  • List a submenu containing any of the above tasks

Many Linux distributions define their own applications menu for Window Maker. This cannot usually be edited using the configuration tool (which will instead offer to replace it with a generic default menu which can be edited).

A nice entry for Window Maker and it look pretty recent too so I guess there is still some interest in this fine old program. 😎

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
abarbarian
Posted (edited)

Found some fascinating stuff regarding Window Maker over at the WayBackMachine site.

They are well worth a read as a lot of the information though from the earliest days of Window Makers origins are still relevant today.

Oh an it is nice to travel back in time to  see how things were done back in the day.

Window Maker X Window Manager User's Guide Alfredo K. Kojima Version 0.20.2

Visit the links below to learn more about this versatile window manager.

Window Maker 0.80.2 Guided tour

Edited by abarbarian