abarbarian

wmArchUp

Well I finally found time to make a short video of wmArchUp in action the link is at the top of this post.

I started by opening up a terminal and having a dry run of "pacman -Syu" this was to show what a normal update would be and you can see what and how big the update would be.

Then I clicked on the wmArchUp dock app showing at the top left of screen. This ran the automatic update with the only intervention needed being a single click for the update to proceed. Everything looked to have completed ok.

Back to the normal terminal and I ran "pacman -Syu" again and it showed that there was nothing to do. I did this to double check that wmArchUp had worked properly.

As I have several AUR programs I them ran Pacaur to see if any of them needed an update. Seems like my Brave browser did, took an age to compress and instal so I terminated the video before it had finished.

The video is 68 MB in .mkv format, I could have trimmed the Brave update out and this would have made the video much shorter but I am lazy and bandwidth is pretty accessible these days.

Enjoy

😎

• +1 2

securitybreach

Nice Abarbarian :thumbsup:

abarbarian

GrXftJG.png

bETTGvB.png

Just two screenshots of the same desktop showing the range of customisation available in WM. Have a close look at the title bars in both shots the terminal title bar is the window with focus and is different to the other unfocused title bars.

I have posted some excellent examples of customised desktops that are well worth a quick peek on page 5 of this thread.

Enjoy.

😎

• Agree 1

Hedon James

I like themes that are "different enough to be interesting, but familiar enough to be comfortable".  It's a vague description that likely varies from person to person, but the eyes like what the eyes like.  If I were to put together a list of criteria for what I consider an attractive theme, my list of exceptions would probably be similar to the criteria list.  LOL!

I do like your LispMachine theme, even though it's blacks, whites, & greys.  But that's "punched up" easily enough.  Your pink gradient theme is a little "busy" for my tastes, but I do like the gradient; and I do like that the active window is easily distinguishable from the inactives!

Question on the window controls...looks like WM can only close windows?  I'm used to (and use quite frequently) the "enlarge/reduce" toggle and the "send to launcher/taskbar" controls.  Does WM not have those?  Or you just prefer the way shown?  I note you also make heavy use of window "shade" function, which could be used as a substitute for the other 2 missing buttons.  I use the "shade" function also, but to indicate "active in the background"  functionality, as opposed to "active" that I'm currently working in.

Thanks for the shares!

securitybreach
16 minutes ago, Hedon James said:

Your pink gradient theme is a little "busy" for my tastes, but I do like the gradient; and I do like that the active window is easily distinguishable from the inactives!

It's a nice setup but it's hard for me to look at as it's too bright. I would need to wear shades to sit in front of that B)

abarbarian
1 hour ago, Hedon James said:

Your pink gradient theme is a little "busy" for my tastes, but I do like the gradient

Both of those themes are ones I found on the net. The pink one is called " Lords of Acid " I recon the creator was on the stuff at the time of creation. 🤣

1 hour ago, Hedon James said:

Or you just prefer the way shown?

There are so many ways to do the same thing in Window Maker that it would take me from now to infinity to describe them all. I have the window title bars showing collapsed to let folk see the background and also as clues to where I am at.

I'll try an answer yer other queries later on.

For now though here is a super unique customised arrangement of dock items. (Elephant Rain theme)

https://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?/topic/19407-show-us-your-gnulinux-desktop/&do=findComment&comment=451236

:hysterical:

• Agree 1

abarbarian
On 5/8/2020 at 2:25 PM, securitybreach said:

I would need to wear shades to sit in front of that

Slap them sunglasses on and buckle up for this glorious theme -Fuzzy Hornet,

5r2vZ4e.png

Did you notice the very nice detailing on the backgrounds to the menu windows and title bars.  🥵

securitybreach
2 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Slap them sunglasses on and buckle up for this glorious theme -Fuzzy Hornet,

Did you notice the very nice detailing on the backgrounds to the menu windows and title bars.  🥵

That is pretty blinding, especially first thing in the morning. Good thing that I run redshift B)

abarbarian
2 hours ago, securitybreach said:

That is pretty blinding

:hysterical:

abarbarian

Here are four examples of how folk have set up their Window Maker desktops. As you can see Window Maker is very versatile.

0llyiFQ.png

nKIsrRb.png

GE9skPs.png

WeyI89b.png

😎

abarbarian

Just another four Ways Window Maker has been customised by users.

RxhVQHm.jpg

h5twPAn.jpg

ORaVTO5.png

zjApIWJ.png

As you can see folk have shown some individuality in the way they have set up their Window Maker. All done with the program itself no extra programs or add-ons needed. Also you do not need to be a geek or have several university degrees to make the changes shown just a tiny bit of reading and a few clicks and you can set up your desktop to suit yourself. Window Maker gives anyone the freedom to show individuality  and creativity and ain't that what being a penguin is all about folks.

😎

• +1 1

Hedon James
2 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Just another four Ways Window Maker has been customised by users.

RxhVQHm.jpg

As you can see folk have shown some individuality in the way they have set up their Window Maker. All done with the program itself no extra programs or add-ons needed. Also you do not need to be a geek or have several university degrees to make the changes shown just a tiny bit of reading and a few clicks and you can set up your desktop to suit yourself. Window Maker gives anyone the freedom to show individuality  and creativity and ain't that what being a penguin is all about folks.

😎

This one is interesting because of the icons, and the "launchbar" arrangement.  It's just my personal preferences, but I don't like icons scattered everywhere, and certainly not on all four sides like a screen bevel.  This looks like a Unity launcher to me, thumbs up.  Bonus points for the icons.  Most WM screenshots have icons that I can't tell what they launch, but these appear to be "theme" style icons and I think I could guess what most of them are without having to mouse over or click.  And I'm also guessing the three dots on certain icons are indicating "this program is open & running" somewhere on the desktop.

Still wondering about the window controls though.  Is "close window" the only option in WM?  In every WM screenshot I've ever seen, there's only an "X" in the upper right corner.  Just curious.

abarbarian
6 hours ago, Hedon James said:

Still wondering about the window controls though.  Is "close window" the only option in WM?  In every WM screenshot I've ever seen, there's only an "X" in the upper right corner.  Just curious.

I'll do a short video showing that sort of stuff at some time. It may take me a while though.

Most WM screenshots have icons that I can't tell what they launch,

Heck why would I want icons that any hacker or curious visitor could recognise easily. Make the sods work for it I say.

I don't like icons scattered everywhere, and certainly not on all four sides like a screen bevel. 

As a rule I'm with you on that one. Although-------------.

Bonus points for the icons

Default size for Window Maker icons is 64x64 though you can use,

xZGrvBc.png

other sizes. The icon backgrounds and icons can be images in png, jpg, xpm. So you can import any icon set and use them. I am not really familiar with any icon sets so can not say if you would need to convert them to the appropriate file extension.

7 hours ago, Hedon James said:

And I'm also guessing the three dots on certain icons are indicating "this program is open & running" somewhere on the desktop.

Precisely the opposite,

Starting an application

Double-clicking the icon of a docked application starts the application.

An application that has not been launched normally has an elipsis (three dots) in the bottom-left-corner of the icon and appears in full color as shown below.

Unlaunched application icon

Unlaunched application icon

When the application is running, the elipsis disappears from the bottom-left-corner of the icon and the icon becomes highlited.

Launched application icon

Sometimes, when the application is running, instead of highlited icon, the icon becomes "greyed out", giving a visual cue that the application is already open, and cannot be launched again.

Grayed-out application icon

A docked icon that continues to show an elipsis and remains "full color" even after an instance of the application is running indicates that the application's settings have been modified to allow multiple launches from one docked icon. To do this you must open the application and modify the "application specific" settings in the commands menu of the application to allow "shared application icons".

Using the "launch" command in the "application icon menu" for the icon is another way to start an application from the dock.

https://www.windowmaker.org/docs/guidedtour/dock.html

An I am going to be a grammer natzi as I do know that you should not start a new sentence with And. An is ok if you are a Yorkshireman an is proper english. 🤣

abarbarian
Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Hedon James said:

Is "close window" the only option in WM?  In every WM screenshot I've ever seen, there's only an "X" in the upper right corner. 

You need to go to Specsavers. View screenshot above with a very powerful magnifier to see why. :hysterical:

Edited by abarbarian

Hedon James

still not seeing anything...just an X in top right corner.  If there IS something else there, can it be made more distinguishable.  IMO, window controls should be readily identifiable and accessible.

abarbarian
Posted (edited)
On 5/13/2020 at 8:44 PM, Hedon James said:

still not seeing anything...just an X in top right corner.  If there IS something else there, can it be made more distinguishable.  IMO, window controls should be readily identifiable and accessible.

TIP - Closing windows

Ooooooooooooooooops my bad I'm so used to using WM that what is obvious to me is not to other folks.

At the left top corner of the window in the screenshot you can see a small graphic , looks like a folder icon. If left clicked with the mouse the window minimizes and drops a icon down at the bottom of the screen, like you would get if you had a taskbar at the bottom of the screen, of course there is no task bar. If you right click with the mouse the window hides in this case, the Firefox window hides to the Firefox icon at the right of the screen, it reappears when you left click on the Firefox icon.

Also you can right click with the mouse on the title bar of the window and you get a self explanatory drop down menue, it is a bit hard to make out the options with this theme.

Also you can assign keyboard shortcuts to any action, in Arch the keyboard shortcut for "miniaturize active window" is set as  "Mod1+M" easily changed to suit your own needs.

6VpLnbg.png

Phew I think making a movie would have been easier. 😂

Edited by abarbarian
  • +1 1