abarbarian

Guest LilBambi

Thanks to abarbarian for steering me over to here from this thread. [Edit: looks like the two threads have been combined.]

From what I'm seeing, it's a lot of work only as far as reading the documentation and trying to get a feel for what's what. After that, very easy to customize and use. I didn't really think I'd like it, but I always figure that if other people like a certain DE/WM, there must be some good reasons, and it'll probably be worth it to spend a little time with it and discover those reasons for myself. Glad I decided to take a closer look.

That dang abarbarian. My world was perfectly fine, running Openbox (which has been my favorite WM to use), until he started stirring [things] up by mentioning Window Maker in another thread here.

I merged these two topics.

but I always figure that if other people like a certain DE/WM, there must be some good reasons,

There are, mainly, I could not work out how to fiddle with any other DE/WM. :rolleyes:

" From its manpage:" by gum I never knew they had man pages. How do you access the man pages then ?

You might be able to get the clock to stick to the dock by fiddling with the config file. I stick the clock and cpu meter to the clip(see screenshots posted) and configured the config file to allow an instance of both to appear on worktop 1 and 2 but not on woktop 3. This means if I scroll through worktops with the middle mouse button I get a visual reminder of which worktop I am on.

I have also added a middle click function to the dock icon which tunrs turns it into a shutdown botton button, detailed in a previous post.

Sorry to be so sketchy but I am away from home and posting from Makulu so am relying on the grey cell for information. B)

Edited by abarbarian

There are, mainly, I could not work out how to fiddle with any other DE/WM. :rolleyes:

" From its manpage:" by gum I never knew they had man pages. How do you access the man pages then ?

I'm accessing the man pages from the terminal, as normal. At this point I've only added 5 dockapps, and four of them have man pages. For example:

$ man wmclockmon

You might be able to get the clock to stick to the dock by fiddling with the config file.

Strange, but in man wmclockmon, I see:

wmclockmon-config uses one default file : ~/.wmclockmonrc.

However, this file does not exist here. I don't find an rc file for wmclockmon with a file search, and I don't see one listed when I run pacman -Ql wmclockmon.

I like wmclockmon better than any other Window Maker clock I've tried so far, but I'll try some others.

I stick the clock and cpu meter to the clip(see screenshots posted) and configured the config file to allow an instance of both to appear on worktop 1 and 2 but not on woktop 3. This means if I scroll through worktops with the middle mouse button I get a visual reminder of which worktop I am on.

That's a good idea. Testing things out, I stuck wmsystemtray and wmclockmon to the clip. I could right-click on wmsystemtray's border and select "Omnipresent" so that it's visible on all workspaces. I'm unable to bring up any right-click menu for wmclockmon.

I'll take a look at some other clocks.

However, this file does not exist here. I don't find an rc file for wmclockmon with a file search, and I don't see one listed when I run pacman -Ql wmclockmon.

Ah ha I meant here,

/home/bloodaxe/GNUstep/Defaults/WMstate

Here is the relevant part of mine. This gives me on, Home(workspace 1) Clip+wmclockmon+wmcpuload, Workspace 2 Clip+wmclockmon+wmcpuload, Workspace 3 Clip. (you can give names to individual workspaces)

Workspaces = (
{
 Clip = {
 AutoRaiseLower = No;
 AutoCollapse = No;
 Applications = (
	 {
	 Forced = No;
	 Name = wmclockmon.DockApp;
	 BuggyApplication = No;
	 AutoLaunch = No;
	 Position = "0,-2";
	 Lock = No;
	 PasteCommand = "wmclockmon %s";
	 Command = wmclockmon;
	 Omnipresent = No;
	 },
	 {
	 Forced = No;
	 Name = wmcpuload.DockApp;
	 BuggyApplication = No;
	 AutoLaunch = No;
	 Position = "1,-1";
	 Lock = No;
	 PasteCommand = "wmcpuload %s";
	 Command = wmcpuload;
	 Omnipresent = No;
	 }
 );
 Collapsed = No;
 AutoAttractIcons = No;
 Lowered = Yes;
 };
 Name = HOME;
},
{
 Clip = {
 AutoRaiseLower = No;
 AutoCollapse = No;
 Applications = (
	 {
	 Forced = No;
	 Name = wmclockmon.DockApp;
	 BuggyApplication = No;
	 AutoLaunch = No;
	 Position = "1,1";
	 Lock = No;
	 PasteCommand = "wmclockmon %s";
	 Command = wmclockmon;
	 Omnipresent = No;
	 },
	 {
	 Forced = No;
	 Name = wmcpuload.DockApp;
	 BuggyApplication = No;
	 AutoLaunch = No;
	 Position = "2,0";
	 Lock = No;
	 PasteCommand = "wmcpuload %s";
	 Command = wmcpuload;
	 Omnipresent = No;
	 }
 );
 Collapsed = No;
 AutoAttractIcons = No;
 Lowered = Yes;
 };
 Name = "Workspace 2";
},
{
 Clip = {
 AutoRaiseLower = No;
 AutoCollapse = No;
 Applications = ();
 Collapsed = No;
 AutoAttractIcons = No;
 Lowered = Yes;
 };
 Name = "Workspace 3";
}
);
Workspace = HOME;
}

We seem to be using different clocks :hmm: I'll have to reignite the WM passion I think.

Here is what I did to gain a shutdown button(mousewheel click), in the same file as above.

{
Dock = {
Applications1200 = (
 {
 Forced = No;
 Name = Logo.WMDock;
 BuggyApplication = No;
 AutoLaunch = No;
 Position = "0,0";
 Lock = Yes;
 PasteCommand = "systemctl poweroff";
 Command = "/usr/lib/GNUstep/Applications/WPrefs.app/WPrefs";
 },

You can assign two commands to each icon, left click and middle click, So for instance Charlie gives me, left click = xt7-player and middle click = vlc.

There seems to be a limitation in that if I open xt7 with a click the middle click does not work.

The same if I open vlc with a click the left click will not work.

However if I open vlc from somewhere else then the middle click will work.Xt7 it seems will only allow one running instance no matter where I try to start it from.

2014-04-22-220331177x168scrot.png

I'll have to investigate this wmclock. :breakfast:

Edited by abarbarian

@ abarbarian:

Looks like a lot of work.

:)

Seriously, I know nothing about the files in ~/GNUstep/Defaults, or how to use them. I could stick with wmclock instead of using wmclockmon; it's easy enough to attach wmclock to the Clip and make it omnipresent without having to deal with any config file!

I used your example to edit my ~/GNUstep/Defaults/WMstate file. My changes were overwritten as soon as I logged out and logged back in, and the file was returned to the state that it was in before.

- In the "Applications" section for wmclockmon, what does "0,-2" for "Position" mean, exactly?

- Please explain PasteCommand = "wmclockmon %s". What's the "%s" for?

- How does one use the ~/GNUstep/Defaults/WMstate file so that it'll do what you want it to do?

We seem to be using different clocks :hmm:

I was trying to use wmclockmon, and I'd prefer to use that. But I was unable to right-click on it to bring up its menu (so that I could make it omnipresent). That's the problem. So I switched to using wmclock instead.

Edited by saturnian

Ok I posted the above after I arrived home from me trip so here is a bit more info that may be more on track.

http://all-things-li...ten-window.html

Applets typically allow for anything like changing the volume, displaying the time, monitoring network interface throughput, cpu load, battery etc. There's even a wmdock plugin that allows for running applets under Xfce. Once installed they have to be added to the autostart.sh file in ./GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker/ to appear at login, or be started manually one by one.

This covers the Clip functions.

http://www.ghacks.ne...x-window-maker/

ClipThe Clip is an interesting tool. The most important aspect of the Clip is to serve as the desktop pager. By default there is only 1 desktop. To add more desktops do a middle mouse click on the Clip and select New. The new desktop will automatically appear.Another neat aspect of the Clip is the ability to attract icons. What this will do is allow you to add an icon to the Clip simply by clicking Attract icons. Any application that is miniaturized will be attached to the Clip. Remove the icons you don't want by right clicking the icon and select Remove icon. If you don't "keep" an icon on the Clip, the icon will disappear when the application is closed. If you want to be able to launch the application from the Clip, right click the icon and select Keep Icon. Now, even when the application is closed, there will be a clickable icon on the Clip that will open the application. when its icon is double clicked. One nice aspect about this is that the added icon will remember options for the application. Say, for instance, you run the aterm application with the following options:aterm -tr -fg white -bg black +sbWhen you attract the icon with those options, and you "keep" that icon, any time you double click the Clip icon for that application it will run it with those options.

A good walkthrough on the wmakerconf opened from the menu.

http://linuxlibrary....sktop-settings/

A tad more information on autostarting applications.

How to Lauch and Autostart Applications and Commands in Window Maker

Seems that WM has a Solaris fan.

Peter's Solaris Zone

An finally a list of dock app resources.Which may or may not be working apps.

http://tigr.net/afterstep/applets/

http://www.freshports.org/windowmaker/

http://web.cs.mun.ca...pps/mmedia.html

http://linux.softped...owMaker dockapp

http://distro.ibibli...nload/DockApps/ftp://ftp.canadatux.org/linux/windowmaker/

There is a very intriguing dock app called wmphoto that has had a modern update which I will have a look at soon as it appeals to me.Original app,

http://users.dcc.uch...martoq/wmphoto/

Reworked app,

http://linux-bsd-uni...ml#wmbackground

wmphoto+ is Window Maker showing images dockable application. The original program version author – Aldrin Martoq A. – stopped to develop it in 1999 releasing the version 0.3. I modified it in 2012 and released the version 1.0.0. I’m also the maintainer of SlackBuild for it.

Don't forget we are using ancient tech here so blowing away cobwebs is mandatory.Hope all above helps. :breakfast:

Edited by abarbarian

I was trying to use wmclockmon, and I'd prefer to use that. But I was unable to right-click on it to bring up its menu (so that I could make it omnipresent). That's the problem. So I switched to using wmclock instead.

Okay, I figured out what the problem is here. To bring up the menu when you right-click on a dockapp, you have to get the cursor right on the border/edge of the dockapp. It wasn't working for me with wmclockmon because I had reduced the icon size to 56x56. I put the icon size back to 64x64, and now I can bring up wmclockmon's menu just fine.

As mentioned here:

Dockapp developers usually assume that tiles will be 64x64 pixels, so it's probably a good idea to leave it at that size, unless you know you won't be using dockapps.

Well, it depends on the dockapp. At 56x56, I can bring up a menu by right-clicking on the wmclock icon; not so with the wmclockmon icon. At 56x56, wmclockmon's icon border is not visible at all -- here, at least.

I just have wmclockmon running as it came and can right click ok, don't know what size the pics are though.

I have looked at a few more dockspps.A lot of the ones in the AUR fail to install.

2014-04-23-153444256x301scrot.png

Now that I have a little more time and knowledge I may try making some Arch packages of some dockapps. :shifty:

Sounds like you are having fun anyway.

Edited by abarbarian

Here's how wmclockmon looks at 56x56 pixels:

wmclockmon1.png

No border area to click on. But at 64x64, wmclockmon appears here as shown in your screenshot.

I have looked at a few more dockspps.A lot of the ones in the AUR fail to install.

Yeah, that's happened here a few times already.

Sounds like you are having fun anyway.

Yup!

If you open up wmakerconf and scroll down to the Workspaces tab you can change the size of the dockapps. Here is a shot of mine resized to 96x96, maybe that will help. I normally have mine at 72x72.

bbbbb10.jpg

Well, I didn't have wmakerconf installed, but it's installed now. I'd been using WMPrefs > Icon Preferences window to change the icon size. That appears to be the same as changing the size of the icons with wmakerconf from the Workspaces tab, unless I'm missing something.

However, larger icons is what I don't want. I actually like them smaller than 56x56, but it looks like that would be no good with most dockapps, unfortunately.

Thanks for the tip about wmakerconf. At first glance, anyway, it looks like more can be done with it than can be done with WMPrefs.

However, larger icons is what I don't want.
Ah right, I like mine that bit bigger as they look a bit naff if they are too small on my monitor.

Thanks to your interest I put me thinking cap on and I have solved a long standing problem with wmclockmon and wmcpuload.

You'll have figured out that you can change the colour of wmclockmon with a combination of right and middle clicks.

These are the dockapps I have working.

2014-04-23-1921321083x797scrot.png

:shifty:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just done a fresh install of Arch so needed a fresh install of Window Maker. Nice to see that there is a separate entry in the Arch Wiki for WM now, must be gaining in popularity.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Window_Maker

Some improvements to WM have been made. There are less entries in the menu now, no more entries for programs not installed so you get a cleaner starting point. have not had time to see if any other improvements have been made yet. Though instead of several dock apps some of which did not work there is now only a working xclock showing in the menu.

desktop63.png

I did come across a neat trick. Press "Alt" either the right or left one and keeping it pressed press "Tab" and release and you get a pop up window showing what windows you have open.Tap "Tab", still keeping 'Alt" pressed and you scroll through the window icons,you get text about each icon as you scroll,stop on an icon ,release "Alt" and the window will be raised. Handy for keyboard folk or folk who like to mix kb and mouse as it is a shade quicker than using the middle click route.

:breakfast:

• Like 1

I did come across a neat trick. Press "Alt" either the right or left one and keeping it pressed press "Tab" and release and you get a pop up window showing what windows you have open.Tap "Tab", still keeping 'Alt" pressed and you scroll through the window icons,you get text about each icon as you scroll,stop on an icon ,release "Alt" and the window will be raised. Handy for keyboard folk or folk who like to mix kb and mouse as it is a shade quicker than using the middle click route.

Thanks!

Here's one that I find useful sometimes:

From version 0.80.0, you can shade/unshade a window using a mouse wheel on its titlebar. This of course, assumes your system is able to manage a mouse wheel. The WMGLOBAL file in you $HOME/GNUstep/Defaults should contain two new directives : MouseWheelUp and MouseWheelDown.

(from: http://windowmaker.o...edtour/win.html)

Window Maker's been very pleasant to use; since adding it some time ago and getting it set up, I haven't really changed anything besides the wallpaper. In Bridge Linux, I alternate between logging into Xfce and Window Maker sessions. I have only Xfce in my Arch installation, though.

• Like 1

Nice to know you are enjoying the WM experience. I think it is cool. Creating your own themes is good fun and not too difficult. When I have the procedure polished I will post a how to. The best part of WM is that it hardly changes and once you have set it up to suit you know that it will stay that way.Unlike othere WM/DE's that seem to change faster than I can blink.Where folks get the energy to keep up with the changes is a mystery to me.

Good tip. Funny description "shade/unshade" though I am struggling to think of a replacement,"collapse/uncollapse", "shrink/unshrink" perhaps.

:breakfast:

• Like 1

Hedon James

are you in USA barbarian? In USA we pull down the window shade to block light/view, or roll up the window shade to see what's going on. Hence, shade/unshade. Makes sense to me. Then again, I'm often told I "think weird", so what the heck do I know? :th_run-around-smiley:

Hedon James

Nope I'm a true blue Brit. Your theory sounds like it will hold water. Ta. :breakfast:

True "blue" Brit? In US, we were taught the British wear red. Easier to spot, as they really stand out in a crowd, a field, or the woods. It's in all our history books and part of our indoctrination. Sorry, couldn't resist... :P Cheerio!

Translated from the old Spanish phrase "sangre azul", blue blood derives from the Medieval belief in Europe (among other places) that the blood of the royalty and nobility was blue; since the royal family and aristocrats were wealthy and powerful enough to pay commoners to labor in the fields for them, their skin was translucent and pale enough for their blue veins to stand out.

It also refers to old money families: families that have been aristocrats for many generations.

The blue blood disdainfully looked upon the unrefined manners of the nouveau riche (aka "new money").

The blue blood of the elite could not be tainted by the blood of commoners, lest the whole line be polluted (disregarding the risks of inbreeding).

I was lying as the last time I got carved up there was claret all over the place not a sign of any blue. :tease: