The Raspberry Pi

crp

Ha don't know why but I ordered one. :Laughing:

Because you have more £ than you know what to do with. ;)

I have a plan.

I hope to run

https://arkos.io/

or

http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-PI-THE-HOME-SERVER-TURNKEY-LINUX/

or something similar. so that I can run a Ghost blogg from home along with a cloud server for fun.

That is if I live long enough. :hysterical:

http://linuxgizmos.c...survey-results/

Whilst the Pi is still top favourite there are some decent alternatives as this neat article shows.

:breakfast:

Had I known this was coming I might have held off buying my Odroid C1 but then again the new Pi won't run Android. With the Odroid I can boot either android or Ubuntu, depending on what I want to do. Once the new Pi gets Win 10, I might consider getting one just to see how it runs.

Whilst the Pi is still top favourite there are some decent alternatives as this neat article shows.

Had I known this was coming I might have held off buying my Odroid C1 but then again the new Pi won't run Android. With the Odroid I can boot either android or Ubuntu, depending on what I want to do. Once the new Pi gets Win 10, I might consider getting one just to see how it runs.

I did some reading around this new Pi and it looks like you may be able to get Android working on it. No links I am afraid to say and am too busy to provide any. Android for Pi may still be a work in progress I did not pay too much attention to the info as I am not interested. :breakfast:

V.T. Eric Layton

I have a plan.

I hope to run

or

http://www.instructa...-TURNKEY-LINUX/

or something similar. so that I can run a Ghost blogg from home along with a cloud server for fun.

At least you have something to live for.* :thumbsup:

*And yes. I know that's bad grammar, but it sounds so much less snooty than, "At least you have something for which to live." When I type it like that, I feel as though I should have my pinkies sticking out and some tea and crumpets on the sideboard next to me.

I did some reading around this new Pi and it looks like you may be able to get Android working on it. No links I am afraid to say and am too busy to provide any. Android for Pi may still be a work in progress I did not pay too much attention to the info as I am not interested. :breakfast:

You should have been able to run Android on the old Pi but the foundation "turned up its nose" at the idea. I doubt that they'll change their attitude for the new one.
  • Like 1

securitybreach
You should have been able to run Android on the old Pi but the foundation "turned up its nose" at the idea. I doubt that they'll change their attitude for the new one.

Well the Pi was originally and still is made for Educational purposes. Android is not oriented towards education and I do not think you can install any programming language compiler on Android. Point being, I can understand why they chose to support Linux not Android.

Well the Pi was originally and still is made for Educational purposes. Android is not oriented towards education and I do not think you can install any programming language compiler on Android. Point being, I can understand why they chose to support Linux not Android.

That's the excuse the Foundation people gave and it simply isn't true. Search on the word "programming" in the Play Store and see all the hits you get. The real reason, IMO, is that the Foundation was never given the source code from Broadcom that was needed.

How to Install Android on Raspberry Pi ? (2014)

Installing Android OS is very easy on Raspberry Pi. It must be installed on a SD-Card usually a 4GB card to enable the installation of other apps and media files. The Android UI is still buggy on Raspberry Pi and crashes a lot and is very slow. Hence it is recommendable to install the OS only on the version of Raspberry Pi with memory of 512 MB or more.

:whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

I have a plan.

I hope to run

or

http://www.instructa...-TURNKEY-LINUX/

At least you have something to live for.* :thumbsup:

*And yes. I know that's bad grammar, but it sounds so much less snooty than, "At least you have something for which to live." When I type it like that, I feel as though I should have my pinkies sticking out and some tea and crumpets on the sideboard next to me.

Oooh er you'll be speaking proper queens english next. :w00tx100:

• Like 1

securitybreach

That's the excuse the Foundation people gave and it simply isn't true. Search on the word "programming" in the Play Store and see all the hits you get. The real reason, IMO, is that the Foundation was never given the source code from Broadcom that was needed.

Actually the raspberry pi is fully open source hardware so I do not think that is the reason

The source is available from our new userland repository on GitHub. If you’re not familiar with the status of open source drivers on ARM SoCs this announcement may not seem like such a big deal, but it does actually mean that the BCM2835 used in the Raspberry Pi is the first ARM-based multimedia SoC with fully-functional, vendor-provided (as opposed to partial, reverse engineered) fully open-source drivers, and that Broadcom is the first vendor to open their mobile GPU drivers up in this way.

http://www.raspberry...-arm-userspace/

Broadcom open sourced all of their drivers back in 2010 starting with their wireless driver. http://thread.gmane....s.general/55418

I only knew that as two of my old laptops use the Broadcom driver that is now built into the kernel. I used to have ndiswrapper to install the window's driver in linux before they went open source.

• Like 1

Actually the raspberry pi is fully open source hardware so I do not think that is the reason

The source is available from our new userland repository on GitHub. If you’re not familiar with the status of open source drivers on ARM SoCs this announcement may not seem like such a big deal, but it does actually mean that the BCM2835 used in the Raspberry Pi is the first ARM-based multimedia SoC with fully-functional, vendor-provided (as opposed to partial, reverse engineered) fully open-source drivers, and that Broadcom is the first vendor to open their mobile GPU drivers up in this way.

http://www.raspberry...-arm-userspace/

Broadcom open sourced all of their drivers back in 2010 starting with their wireless driver. http://thread.gmane....s.general/55418

I only knew that as two of my old laptops use the Broadcom driver that is now built into the kernel. I used to have ndiswrapper to install the window's driver in linux before they went open source.

This was posted on Jan 19,2015 stating the Pi does NOT run Android. And there is a difference between Broadcom releasing source code for drivers and doing so for the "blob" of an SoC. I do recall reading something a few months ago about them finally giving the Foundation access but that was long after the original release. That was also the reason given for not having hardware acceleration.

• Like 1

securitybreach

What do you mean by the "Blob" of an SoC?

Normally that would mean the drivers as in "binary blob". They specifically said in the quote that it is a fully functional, open sourced SoC.

securitybreach

Wow!

From your link about Lewmur:

Yep,

There is never going to be any support of an Android OS on Raspberry Pi

Gordon

Director of Software Engineering, Raspberry Pi.

--

Gordon Hollingworth PhD

Raspberry Pi - Director of Software Engineering

I do recall reading something a few months ago about them finally giving the Foundation access but that was long after the original release. That was also the reason given for not having hardware acceleration.

Perhaps it wasn't before but it sounds like it is now. I had been under the assumption that it was an open source computer but perhaps it wasn't.

Mozilla preps Firefox OS for the Raspberry Pi

At the Mozilla Festival (MozFest) in the UK, held Oct. 24-26, Mozilla revealed a version of Firefox OS for the Raspberry Pi single board computer, and said it would “prepare and maintain a way for current Raspberry Pi board owners to download and flash their current hardware with Firefox OS for Raspberry Pi.” Initially, the main focus appears to be on robotics and media player applications.

Experimental :whistling:

Mozilla preps Firefox OS for the Raspberry Pi

At the Mozilla Festival (MozFest) in the UK, held Oct. 24-26, Mozilla revealed a version of Firefox OS for the Raspberry Pi single board computer, and said it would “prepare and maintain a way for current Raspberry Pi board owners to download and flash their current hardware with Firefox OS for Raspberry Pi.” Initially, the main focus appears to be on robotics and media player applications.

Experimental :whistling:

So??? I thought "experimenting" was the very essence of the Pi.
  • Like 1

securitybreach

There is experimaental, then Arch users and then suicide jockeys like these,

We Archers are not very experimental, we just like having the latest, stable versions of packages....

There is experimaental, then Arch users and then suicide jockeys like these,

We Archers are not very experimental, we just like having the latest, stable versions of packages....

You proper Archers may not be but us barbarian archers just love to experiment. :tease:

• Like 1

Just bought 4 Raspberry Pi 2s for work last week. Playing with them now. I own a couple of B+ models; one was planned to be used in a Photo Booth project with the touch screen and Pi Camera and the second one I've been planning to test it as an Asterix VoIP gateway. I've got a B acting as a router for a test switch and another acting as my Air Print server for the house.

• Like 1

securitybreach

Wow, very nice!! I plan on buying a Rpi 2 as soon as I can. I have the original B model (256) and the B+ model (512) now but haven't done much with them.

Wow, very nice!! I plan on buying a Rpi 2 as soon as I can. I have the original B model (256) and the B+ model (512) now but haven't done much with them.

I still think the Odroid C1 is a better buy for several reasons. One, is has UHF-1 support for SD cards, which at least doubles the card speed. Two, it has two separate USB controllers so you can copy from one external drive to another much faster and three it runs Android 4.4. Four, it has giga bit ethernet. Of course it also has an eMMC port, but that is a little too expensive, IMO, to go with a $35 board. Edited by lewmur

securitybreach

You may have sold me on the specs alone lewmur and its also only $35.

I do not see the point of running Android on this though. 1gb of ram isn't really enough for Android nowadays. Maybe the old 4.4 but anything above that is too slow to really use. I have 5.0 on my 2012 Nexus 7(quad core with 1gb of ram) and I have to turn off all animations and use a custom rom for it to even be useable