The Raspberry Pi

crp

I'm thinking of putting me name down for a pre order of the MoPi. It would be most useful for me. :breakfast:

Edited by abarbarian

Raspberry Pi gains Wolfson HD audio card

The Wolfson Audio Card extends and enhances the Linux-ready Raspberry Pi’s audio features beyond its native HDMI output with onboard HD audio and a variety of interfaces. Raspberry Pi manufacturer Premier Farnell has the exclusive contract for the add-on, and is distributing it through its subsidiaries, including Newark Element14 in North America, Farnell Element14 in Europe, CPC in the UK, and Element14 in Asia Pacific. The Wolfson Audio Card sells for $33.62 and works with Raspberry Pi Rev2 Model A or B single board computers that include P5 pads for connecting the daughtercard.

Don't you just love Pi's. The older they get the better they become. :breakfast:

In the normal configuration though, a good sound card was not needed. Audio would go out the HDMI port. No high quality DAC really needed. I'm surprised analog outputs are even on the device at all!

Adam

In the normal configuration though, a good sound card was not needed. Audio would go out the HDMI port. No high quality DAC really needed. I'm surprised analog outputs are even on the device at all!

Adam

Don't forget the Pi was originally designed as a very accessible computer for as wide a user group as possible. That is why it has connectors for old style tv's as well as analogue connectors. An really it was aimed at educational use not as a cheap media player etc. :shifty:

Major popping between songs is very annoying! I think it was very needed. ;)

A limitation of the analog output, for sure. :)

I wonder if that could be filtered out with a high pass filter. Is that something Jim looked at?

Adam

Guest LilBambi

Don't think so. He found something that would keep the audio path open between songs if I remember correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm thinking of putting me name down for a pre order of the MoPi. It would be most useful for me. :breakfast:

Put me name down some time ago and got this today.

Hi,

Thanks for signing up to the MoPi pre-order list.

We've just sent out the boards for our Kickstarter backers, and

are now building a new set for pre-order customers.

This means we should be able to send you a board in around 3-4

weeks time...

Sorry to be slow, and thanks for your support!

Best,

Hamish Cunningham

http://pi.gate.ac.uk/

http://pi.gate.ac.uk/pages/mopi.html

:breakfast:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One of the coolest things I've done with the RPi is to turn a USB printer into a wireless AirPrint compatible printer. Did you all know that Apple bought the CUPS project and turned that into AirPrint?

So on Linux all you have to do is hook up a USB printer, install CUPS and Bonjour (in Linux it's avahi package). The nice thing about Apple pumping money into CUPS is that it works flawlessly in Linux now. To make the print server Windows compatible you can install Samba although IPP does seem to work in Windows if you want to do it that way.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found this,

Raspberry PI, THE HOME SERVER (TURNKEY LINUX)

Which led me to this

Ultimate Pi Home Server

We will be using the operating system image from Ghoulmann.We'll download it later. The image is based on Raspian, which is a Debian flavor adapted for the Pi, that runs turnkey out the box.

Now we've almost finished. The final procedure is to unplug the power, remove the SD and create a back-up image of the OS in it's current state. This way if something goes wrong you have a basic fresh custom set-up to return to.

Over 6,000 words and more than 170 illustrative diagrams and images later, we have reached the end.

If you made it this far, well done. I hope you found it an awesome journey. The learning curve may have been steep, but i encourage you to fly from the nest and begin to lean more about the Linux world.

I thought this was the biz. The chap deserves a medal for his effort. :breakfast:

• Like 1

With the financial outlook here being bleak I decided to splash out and finally place an order for a Mo-Pi. Should arrive next week , just in time for the bad weather to set in and force me to play with me Pi's again. :rolleyes:

See post 339 for Mo-PI details.

• 2 weeks later...

Stuck with how to use your Pi ? Have a look below as it says it would make a decent present for that not to be mentioned occasion that is looming in the distant future. thumb.gif

Quote: Robots, quadcopters, retro games machines, home theatres, motion detectors, Bitcoin farms and more

Our friends over in the Bookazine department have made something really special – the first edition of Raspberry Pi Annual – and just in time for **************, too!

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/news/rasp...-on-sale-today

Now this is really interesting and looks easy peasy.

Quote: The themes of a lot of our Raspberry Pi guides revolve around the size and portability of the Pi itself, lending it to tasks you may have used a full-sized or small computer for in the past that the Pi can now take over. Having your own private cloud is another excellent use of the Raspberry Pi’s capabilities, because you can store it hidden away somewhere and it will require very little day- to-day maintenance.

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/tutorials...-private-cloud

dance.gif

There is also this fine software for making Pi clouds which is even easier to use than the above. It is let down a tad as you hardly have to use the command line.laughing.gif

http://syncloud.org/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Raspberry Pi 2 on sale now at $35

Let’s get the good stuff out of the way above the fold. Raspberry Pi 2 is now on sale for $35 (the same price as the existing Model B+), featuring:

• A 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU (~6x performance)
  • 1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM (2x memory)
  • Complete compatibility with Raspberry Pi 1

Because it has an ARMv7 processor, it can run the full range of ARM GNU/Linux distributions, including Snappy Ubuntu Core, as well as Microsoft Windows 10.

Raspberry Pi 2 review – not all the same

It worked fantastically well; while performing normal computer actions there was none of the classic slowdown the Pi used to get. We could upgrade the system and comfortably do other tasks such as web browsing or even word processing. Simple yet appreciated, and on the surface that’s really about it for the Raspberry Pi 2. There is no real killer feature of the updated Raspbian that we can point to that illustrates the new Pi’s full abilities.

However, this is frankly a great thing. The Raspberry Pi Foundation’s mission has always been education, and with the amount of excellent tutorials and software that already exist for the Raspberry Pi, making the Pi 2 very different would make the last three years of work obsolete.

Pi2Review.png

:breakfast:

• Like 1