List of Conky Resources

ichase

securitybreach

Man! What is the masochistic thrill you guys get from configuring that medieval torture application?

Well geeks will be geeks B)

configure it from scratch.

Configure from scratch!

What are you crazy?

We find one that's close to what we want and then just mess with it until it is nice for us.

• Like 2

Configure from scratch!

What are you crazy?

We find one that's close to what we want and then just mess with it until it is nice for us.

Here's the .conkyrc I started from. It is a nice Arch themed panel. I just heavily modified it and cleaned up some declarations.

conky3.png

background no
use_xft yes
xftfont 123:size=8
xftalpha 0.1
update_interval 1
total_run_times 0
own_window yes
own_window_type normal
own_window_transparent yes
own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager
double_buffer yes

maximum_width 400
draw_shades no
draw_outline no
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders no
default_color lightgray
default_shade_color red
default_outline_color green
alignment top_left
gap_x 24

no_buffers yes
uppercase no
cpu_avg_samples 2
net_avg_samples 2
override_utf8_locale yes
use_spacer none

TEXT
${alignc 32}${font Open Sans:size=20}${color lightgray}arch${color dodgerblue3} linux$font$color
${alignc}${font Open Sans:size=10}${color white}${execi 30 users | cut -c1-5}@$nodename
$color${font}${font Open Sans:size=20}$alignr${time %H:%M}$font
${color dodgerblue3}${font Open Sans:Bold:size=10}Date${hr 2}$color$font
$color${font Open Sans:size=12}$alignr${time %a}, ${time %d %b %Y}$font$color

# Spotify
${font Open Sans:Bold:size=10}${color dodgerblue3}Spotify${hr 2}
${color}${font}${alignr}Manic Bloom - A Thousand Angels

# SYS
${font Open Sans:Bold:size=10}${color dodgerblue3}SYSTEM${hr 2}$color${font}
$sysname $kernel $alignr $machine
Uptime $alignr $uptime
MB Temperature $alignr ${execi 30 sensors | grep 'SYSTIN:' | cut -c17-18}°C
GPU Temperature $alignr ${execi 30 sensors | grep 'temp1:' | cut -c16-17}°C

# CPU
${font Open Sans:Bold:size=10}${color dodgerblue3}CPU${hr 2}
$color${font}Intel i5 2500k $alignr ${freq_g cpu0}GHz
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
${font}Core 0 ${color dodgerblue3}${execi 30 sensors | grep 'Core 0:' | cut -c18-19}°C${color} @ ${cpu cpu1} % $alignc ${color dodgerblue3}${cpubar cpu1}${color}
${font}Core 1 ${color dodgerblue3}${execi 30 sensors | grep 'Core 1:' | cut -c18-19}°C${color} @ ${cpu cpu2} % $alignc ${color dodgerblue3}${cpubar cpu2}${color}
${font}Core 2 ${color dodgerblue3}${execi 30 sensors | grep 'Core 2:' | cut -c18-19}°C${color} @ ${cpu cpu3} % $alignc ${color dodgerblue3}${cpubar cpu3}${color}
${font}Core 3 ${color dodgerblue3}${execi 30 sensors | grep 'Core 3:' | cut -c18-19}°C${color} @ ${cpu cpu4} % $alignc ${color dodgerblue3}${cpubar cpu4}${color}

# TOP
${font Open Sans:Bold:size=10}${color dodgerblue3}TOP${hr 2}
$color${font}${font Open Sans:bold:size=8.5}PROCESS $alignr CPU USAGE$font
${top name 1}${alignr}${top cpu 1} %
${top name 2}${alignr}${top cpu 2} %
${top name 3}${alignr}${top cpu 3} %
${top name 4}${alignr}${top cpu 4} %
${top name 5}${alignr}${top cpu 5} %

# MEMORY
${font Open Sans:Bold:size=10}${color dodgerblue3}MEMORY${hr 2}
$color${font}${font Open Sans:bold:size=8.5}RAM$font
$mem / $memmax $alignr $memperc %
$membar

${font Open Sans:bold:size=8.5}SWAP$font
$swap / $swapmax $alignr $swapperc
${swapbar};

# NETWORK
${font Open Sans:Bold:size=10}${color dodgerblue3}Network${hr 2}
$color${font Open Sans:bold:size=8.5}External IP ${font}${alignr}${execi 3600 wget -O - http://ip.tupeux.com | tail}$font

${font Open Sans:bold:size=8.5}eth0 $font$alignr ${addr eth0}
down $alignr ${downspeedf eth0} kb/s
up $alignr ${upspeedf eth0} kb/s
down total ${totaldown eth0} $alignr up total ${totalup eth0}

${font Open Sans:bold:size=8.5}eth1 $font$alignr ${addr eth1}
down $alignr ${downspeedf eth1} kb/s
up $alignr ${upspeedf eth1} kb/s
down total ${totaldown eth1} $alignr up total ${totalup eth1}

# HDD
${font Open Sans:Bold:size=10}${color dodgerblue3}Disks${hr 2}
$color${font Open Sans:bold:size=8.5}/dev/sda $font$alignr ${execi 30 sudo hddtemp /dev/sda | grep '/dev/sda:' | cut -c28-29}°C

${font Open Sans:bold:size=8.5}ROOT $font$font$alignr ${fs_type /}
${fs_used /} / ${fs_size /} $alignr ${fs_used_perc /} %
${fs_bar /}

${font Open Sans:bold:size=8.5}HOME $font$alignr ${fs_type /home}
${fs_used /home} / ${fs_size /home} $alignr ${fs_used_perc /home} %
${fs_bar /home}

Edited by amenditman

Man! What is the masochistic thrill you guys get from configuring that medieval torture application? Gkrellm... even SuperKaramba is ever so much less painful to configure. :w00t:

Pssst... I will admit that Conky is pretty cool, though. I'm just way too lazy... er, I mean laid back to bother with trying to configure it from scratch.

2 words: It's FUN :)

Amenditman - This line:

# Spotify

Is not actually playing the music from Spotify? You would need a script here?

securitybreach

Amenditman - This line:

# Spotify

I believe so: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Conky-Spotify-quot-Now-Playing-quot-scripts/td-p/26825

Amenditman - This line:

# Spotify

That is from the example I used as a template. The writer did have a comment about needing to write a script to get Spotify to work, that is his placeholder. As you can see in mine, no Spotify. Don't care about that so I removed it. Also, a lot of his code is messy with double declarations of color or font. Once I had it looking like my first post, I went back and edited the .conkyrc line by line to remove unneeded code, added comments, organized the sections a bit better, and adjusted the spacing/size of the elements.

It is real easy with trying this and that in conky for your code to get messy REALLY quick. I really need to get into mine and do some major house cleaning. I plan on adding icon images to my conky. I had them in the past on my desktop as seen below. On thing that stinks is, a few months back there was an update to the fonts package. Well the Archlinux logo you see below above the date was actually from a font. After that update, I could never get that font to work again on any of my systems.

4ea022245606962.jpg

I need to find the .conkyrc I used for this one to get the correct font. I believe it was pokey. I still have this build on an 80GB IDE hard drive, may need to read it and grab that config file. ;)

Edited by ichase
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Configure from scratch!

What are you crazy?

I may have to learn that trick. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

How is conky with full transparency? Somewhere back aways, Gkrellm stopped working in transparent mode for me. That's why I quit using it. I like transparent because I change desktop themes/colors too often to be trying to match my monitor app's skins each time.

I may have to learn that trick. ;)

For the most part, Amenditman is correct. You go to any of the Conky threads (I posted a few in the first page of this thread) where people post their conkyrc files. Tailor them to what fits your needs. I did write the one above pretty much from scratch but it's pretty much based on the original conkyrc you get when you install the package. If something does not work, ask a question and it will soon be answered. The crunchbang forum has in my opinion the best conky thread going. Mr. Peachy, Sector 11, TeoBigusGeekus, wlourf, vastone to name a few all hang out there. Their conky creations using lua scripts, python scripts etc are nothing short of AMAZING and they are all so helpful if you run into a pinch and can't get something working. Believe it or not. Conky is like therapy, (at least to me it is) it's a lot of fun playing with the code and seeing how it translates to the screen. I have spent hours (Yes, USELESS HOURS) just messing with the config file. Tweaking here, tweaking there. :thumbup:

V.T. Eric Layton

You're a sick man, my friend. Fortunately for you, there seems to be no cure for your geekiness. ;)

You're a sick man, my friend. Fortunately for you, there seems to be no cure for your geekiness. ;)

Well I am thankful for that. If you said there was medication from this sickness, I would refuse to take it. :thumbup: But as much of a geek as I am. You got me beat by a long shot. :hysterical:

securitybreach

For the most part, Amenditman is correct. You go to any of the Conky threads (I posted a few in the first page of this thread) where people post their conkyrc files. Tailor them to what fits your needs. I did write the one above pretty much from scratch but it's pretty much based on the original conkyrc you get when you install the package. If something does not work, ask a question and it will soon be answered. The crunchbang forum has in my opinion the best conky thread going. Mr. Peachy, Sector 11, TeoBigusGeekus, wlourf, vastone to name a few all hang out there. Their conky creations using lua scripts, python scripts etc are nothing short of AMAZING and they are all so helpful if you run into a pinch and can't get something working. Believe it or not. Conky is like therapy, (at least to me it is) it's a lot of fun playing with the code and seeing how it translates to the screen. I have spent hours (Yes, USELESS HOURS) just messing with the config file. Tweaking here, tweaking there. :thumbup:

You forgot to mention the 43 pages (1051 replies) of configs on the Arch forum: https://bbs.archlinu...p?id=39906&p=38 ;)

I previously used this when I had a normal conky setup (conky-cli now)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Well I am thankful for that. If you said there was medication from this sickness, I would refuse to take it. :thumbup: But as much of a geek as I am. You got me beat by a long shot. :hysterical:

Nah... I'm just an old biker who tinkers with stuff. ;)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I may take the conky plunge (I really should be studying, though. :( ). I'm getting my sensors and hddtemp up and running in Slack first. I'll be back...

The thing I like best about Conky is that you need to "know" next to nothing to get started.

You download an example that looks similar to what you want and run it.

You make one little change, and when you save it you see the result immediately.

Makes tweaking easy, fun, and rewarding.

I don't know if Gkrellm works the same way.

After doing just this one .conkyrc file I feel confident that I know how the basic syntax goes together. It can be very much more intricate if you have it launch scripts from within your file (many scripting languages supported, I've seen basic shell, python, perl, and lua). I have a hard time imagining an easier way to do things than the basic Conky language.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Let me ask once again (everyone seemed to miss it above)...

Can you get true transparency in KDE4? I lost transparency with Gkrellm a couple years ago. Something updated... qt? some lib? I dunno... that caused Gkrellm to stop displaying transparent themes. I've read that there is also this issue w/ conky in KDE4. So... can you go transparent or no? Inquiring minds wanna' know. :yes:

I may take the conky plunge (I really should be studying, though. :( ). I'm getting my sensors and hddtemp up and running in Slack first. I'll be back...

Well all fun aside, the studying does need to come first. You are doing really awesome getting your certifications and I hope more than anything that your hard work pays off and results in your getting a job you enjoy. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Eric,

I can't speak for how Conky reacts in KDE 4 because I have never run it. I can switch over to my VM later where I have PCLOS with KDE and try it out.

The following settings in the .conkyrc work great with transparancy. You can either run 1 of those lines were you can select the amount of opacity you want or use the other for full transparency.

own_window_argb_value 50 ## 0 is 0% opacity, 255 is 100% opacity (lower the number, more transparent)
own_window_transparent no ##(if using the above line, set this to no and set the opacity you want in the line above.  If you want FULL tranparency, then select yes on this line and either comment out the above line or remove it all together. 

Let me ask once again (everyone seemed to miss it above)...

Can you get true transparency in KDE4? I lost transparency with Gkrellm a couple years ago. Something updated... qt? some lib? I dunno... that caused Gkrellm to stop displaying transparent themes. I've read that there is also this issue w/ conky in KDE4. So... can you go transparent or no? Inquiring minds wanna' know. :yes:

Sorry, missed that point. :'(

Here is a shot of my entire desktop. As you can see, there is full transparency.

conky2.png

• Like 1

Eric,

I can't speak for how Conky reacts in KDE 4 because I have never run it. I can switch over to my VM later where I have PCLOS with KDE and try it out.

The following settings in the .conkyrc work great with transparancy. You can either run 1 of those lines were you can select the amount of opacity you want or use the other for full transparency.

own_window_argb_value 50 ## 0 is 0% opacity, 255 is 100% opacity (lower the number, more transparent)
own_window_transparent no ##(if using the above line, set this to no and set the opacity you want in the line above. If you want FULL tranparency, then select yes on this line and either comment out the above line or remove it all together. 

I used

"own_window_transparent yes"

and no need to install "feh". Everything I read said for KDE 4.8 and after there was no need for it.

• Like 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Thanks, guys! Yeah... I knew about the feh thing. That was the same work-around for transparency for Gkrellm in Xfce. It's a pain in the ascii to do it that way. I'm glad to see you don't need it in KDE 4.8, Bob. :yes:

OK, off to build conky now.

Yes, Abarbarian... I remember what you told me in another thread:

Get back to studying

i6hX6FRAdqyb2.gif

I'll study later, mom. I promise! ;)

D*** you guys for reviving this thread. I spent two hours past my bedtime messing around with it in siduction, having used the KDE Monitor widget up to now.

No matter what I did I couldn't get transparent background, whereas it works fine in aptosid. wtf?! aptosid and siduction are 99% identical, both with KDE 4.8.4. I even copied my aptosid conkyrc, and amenditman's conkyrc to no avail.

Maybe different settings for desktop effects rendering? I'm sure I'll be messing with it again soon; can't let a little thing like that beat me. :)

edit - D***, I forgot we can't say D*** here. >_<

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I shot my evening in the ascii playing with Conky. Here goes nothin'...

slackshotkde201304conky.th.png

It's a bit busy because of that background, but I'm working on it. There are some things I want to add/modify, etc. I'll keep working on it.

Oh, and thanks, Bob. This .conkyrc file started out as yours. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. ;)

Well, I shot my evening in the ascii playing with Conky. Here goes nothin'...

slackshotkde201304conky.th.png

It's a bit busy because of that background, but I'm working on it. There are some things I want to add/modify, etc. I'll keep working on it.

Oh, and thanks, Bob. This .conkyrc file started out as yours. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. ;)

No problem. Let me know if you solve the annoying problem with it. I haven't found a solution yet and I see that yours is doing the same thing. Edited by amenditman