Post your Desktop Screenshot(s) : Round II

Arena2045

Central to me are my kids and, uh, excuse the mess, my messy desktop that sorta reflects the state of my house because of the the kids! :P desktop.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Arena2045

• SonicDragon

• Guitar Man

• NRD

:P I think everyone cleans their desktop before posting screenshots. Everyone participating, can thank threads like this for getting the desktop nice and tidy. :lol:Well... This thread is turning into a DB tribute... I guess I'll join in.One of my fav DB work:Click the thumbnail...db-desktop.jpg

Peachy I bet you can find every thing on your desktop! My laptop is bad but not that full... but I do know where everything is; and I do get upset when the thing desides to rearrange the icons in alphabetical order.

I always thought if you're going to use the metaphor of a desktop for your GUI, then why not use a virtual desktop like a real one: everything at within easy reach. I do clean up stuff when I don't need it anymore; just file it in My Documents.

***DISCLAIMER***No inferences should be drawn about the posters house keeping or mental stability based on above screen shot  :P
Why not?? B) B)

I always thought if you're going to use the metaphor of a desktop for your GUI, then why not use a virtual desktop like a real one: everything at within easy reach. I do clean up stuff when I don't need it anymore; just file it in My Documents.
:P Peachy, if I was really brave I would take a picture of my DESK but you can't even SEE IT! One reason why I keep my 'desktop' nice and clean... Have to have some sanity. B)

Guest LilBambi
desktop-thmb.jpgDon't feel bad NRD, basically we are talking about the same thing but mine has a black background. This is my workhorse personal computer. The other one with various Linux versions and WinXP doesn't see the outside net.I sometimes use a picture for a day for holidays, but normally this is my desktop. I just cleaned up the full screen of links (again, I do it every couple weeks and put the extras in folders within folders for future reference).I keep it clean because I use hoggy programs and it's only a Celeron with 128Megs RAM on Win98SE.

Worst part is, every month or so, I do a massive clean up, burn everything to CD, and swear "THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN."One month later....
Oh! Don’t you hate it when you make those massive backups, and months down the road you need to find one specific file; that’s when you realize that it’s lost somewhere in a stack of backup CDs or DVDs!?

Guest LilBambi

Yeah, I hear ya ... I keep finding programs to try out, websites I want to check out but don't have time to do it right now, or wish to keep the link but don't want to put in my favorites right now. So it keeps adding up on the desktop like post it notes ... when they start going off the page, I throw them into a folder on the desktop under a folder for the given month.Cleaned the desktop up two days ago...I keep most of "my" programs in quick links folders. Still need to put a few recent installations where they belong though so I can get them off the desktop.

LilBambi,A black back ground? So that's how you minimize the glow at night. B) I might have to try that, but then again, black is rather, ahem, dark isn't it?Captures in Windows are very easy, however what's the easiest method for Linux? Is there a program for that? How do you create the thumbnail from the screenshot?(Whew, I nearly called that a thumpnail whatever a thumpnail is... :P)Lastly, one post for each desktop, for each distro/OS, or for your primary system & OS?A screen shot of Windows is in order, windows 3.11 that is. B)

A few weeks ago during my database class, I turned on my laptop, and those behind me couldn’t believe how many icons I had on my screen…I had the entire screen full of icons, plus some that were not on screen. One week later I used XP’s feature to hide the desktop icons when I gave my final presentation.First question (not relating to my speech, by the way) was: “What happened to all your icons?†(followed by some chuckling).

Using Redhat 9, Just clicking the PrintScrn key will take a capture, and give you the option of saving to your desktop or any other dir.You can use the Gimp to create the thumbnail

LilBambi,A black back ground? So that's how you minimize the glow at night. B) I might have to try that, but then again, black is rather, ahem, fark isn't it?Captures in Windows are very easy, however what's the easiest method for Linux? Is there a program for that? How do you create the thumbnail from the screenshot?(Whew, I nearly called that a thumpnail whatever a thumpnail is... :P)Lastly, one post for each desktop, for each distro/OS, or for your primary system & OS?A screen shot of Windows is in order, windows 3.11 that is. B)
Gnome menu > Take screen shot.... You can also do it from the terminal but I don't remember how...Thumb Nail - small verison... You can so it with any decent image editor such as the Gimp.

Guest LilBambi
LilBambi,A black back ground? So that's how you minimize the glow at night. :P I might have to try that, but then again, black is rather, ahem, dark isn't it?Captures in Windows are very easy, however what's the easiest method for Linux? Is there a program for that? How do you create the thumbnail from the screenshot?(Whew, I nearly called that a thumpnail whatever a thumpnail is... B))Lastly, one post for each desktop, for each distro/OS, or for your primary system & OS?A screen shot of Windows is in order, windows 3.11 that is. B)
Yes, it does actually help with glare at night, also helps with video out as well.The Gimp (File, Acquire, Screenshot) will work, and RedHat has something just called Screen Capture Program under Graphics.Post 'em all :) Just use 'thumpnail' ;) image tag as the "My Webpage" text area of an HTML URL Link to the full size pic. B)

Thanks. I tried Gimp, but it kept getting in the way of a screen capture. Windows [Alt] + [Print Screen] is so much easier in that regard. But first, I should clean up the desktop a bit. :)

I haven't changed my desktop since Round 1. I keep everything organized in my active desktop and hide the icons. As a result, I have a clean desktop to show off this B&W photo of "my girls", centered on a black background! (Hypersnap copy, resized to 480 pixels wide with Irfanview)Desktop.gif

:) I just realized how plain vanilla my screens are. :thumbsup: I guess I'm not that colorful or creative. :) Too lazy at the moment to create the"thumpnails," or I completely missed something. :lol: :lol:Linux LaptopNotebookTower:) Windows 3.11wfw - not up yet, still working on getting a good complete screen capture. MS-Paint in Win3.x pails in comparison to the version in Windows 2000.

and the second is a photograph that forum member beeTee sent my way.
Thanks Arena, I'm honored that my picture made the prime time!!If anyone is interested, that lovely mountain picutre desktop-12-13.jpgwas taken in the Berner Oberland, Switzerland. The peak is called the Schreckhorn ("Terrible peak") taken over the Bachalpsee on the "First" side above the "glacier village" of Grindelwald. My guess is that many of the early climbers had a "terrible" time climbing it. :lol:

Guest LilBambi

pc-tecky,I like the background color :D on two out of the three ... but the Linux one is file not found. :P beeTee! I knew that picture was familiar o:) Awesome sight! :lol: