• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeber

• teacher

• BoardFlak

• pc-tecky

Top Posters In This Topic

I think "Bill" was just flashing his laser around. I missed it too! I must have, the moon went away on me!

jbredmound

I walked out of the workplace at 9 pm after a very hectic shift. I pointed the motorcycle towards home; South on the Great River Road. I looked up, and there it was. I have a 35 minute ride along the Mississippi River to get home, and I was able to watch the eclipse while I cruised.I don't know what to say after that...

Jeber I very badly need advice. Stryder has advised me to run my cd-rw drive through the dishwasher. He did not tell me which settings to use. When I asked him about detergent, he gave me this funny answer. Now I know that you are the expert in giving advice, so I thought maybe you could clear it up for me. Just what is the proper procedure for cleaning my drive? :(

Guest LilBambi

jbredmound --Awesome!We unfortunately had too many clouds here to see it. But I heard that the NASA channel actually broadcasted the Full Lunar Elclipse!I will have to go check out the NASA TV site! They have images galleries, archived videos, and of course you can watch what's on right now if your connection is fast enough.

Just what is the proper procedure for cleaning my drive?
I'm not sure what advice Stryder may have given you, but I'm sure it was practical, useful and correct. Of course, my advice is exactly the opposite...but a lot more in keeping with the stated goals of the Ministry of (Mis)Information.Essentially, the dish washer trick is pretty effective. You really don't even need to use detergent, as the heat and water will do the trick. Use the setting that lasts the longest. It's sorta like a defrag...the longer it takes, the more good it must be doing.But you didn't say how dirty your drive was. For stubborn, worked-in stains, open up the drive (just unscrew all the screws...at least four of them are holding it together). Then soak the drive in a bucket of bleach for several hours. This will loosen those ground-in stains. Then wash well (dish washer, washing machine, sink...it really doesn't matter at this point) and try to reassemble. Throw away any left over screws. Take your now-clean drive and put it in a drawer. Go down to CompUSA and buy a new cd-rw. There are some really good deals out there right now. B) (and don't get the new one so dirty!)

Just what is the proper procedure for cleaning my drive?
But you didn't say how dirty your drive was. For stubborn, worked-in stains, open up the drive (just unscrew all the screws...at least four of them are holding it together). Then soak the drive in a bucket of bleach for several hours. This will loosen those ground-in stains. Then wash well (dish washer, washing machine, sink...it really doesn't matter at this point) and try to reassemble. Throw away any left over screws. Take your now-clean drive and put it in a drawer. Go down to CompUSA and buy a new cd-rw. There are some really good deals out there right now. B) (and don't get the new one so dirty!)
Bleach? Okay, do I use the scented or unscented? I have a whole drawer full of screws. You mean I am suppose to throw those away? I wonder if that is why everyone refers to my loose screws now and again. Why don't I just take it to the ocean with me and tie it to my board when I go out. The waves ought to provide some powerful cleaning action. I went to CompUSA today to walk up and down the aisles to drool. My husband took the checkbook away from me before I went though. Did you know those people at the exits want to search you when you leave? They are not very nice.How do I keep my new drive clean? Do I put sunglasses on it if there is something not nice on my computer screen (by accident of course)?Thanks in advance for your wonderful, thoughtful advice._______________________Has lots of loose screws

I went to CompUSA today to walk up and down the aisles to drool.  My husband took the checkbook away from me before I went though.  Did you know those people at the exits want to search you when you leave?  They are not very nice.
Yes, I know EXACTLY what you mean. Husband takes checkbook & credit cards, set off loud beepers when you exit computer store. Downhill from there!

Teach...

Why don't I just take it to the ocean with me and tie it to my board when I go out. The waves out to provide some powerful cleaning action.
Good thought, but salt water isn't healthy for electrical components. That's why I recommend a dish washer or clothes washer.Sieb...
set off loud beepers when you exit computer store. Downhill from there!
That loud beep is the "race start" signal. You're supposed to run when you here that. If the race is all downhill from there, that's all good. Easier to race downhill. B)

Put your hard drive in the dishwasher to clean? That's ridiculous! Unless you have several filters on your water lines, there's a chance you're using contaminated water, which can clog up the drive. I was floating around in my pool yesterday, B) having a beer (well, quite a few actually) thinking about my dirty hard drive and had a brainstorm :lol: ...I use chlorine and acid in the water to kill nasty stuff and it doesn't bother me at all! If it's harmless to the human body, it must be safe for a box of plastic and metal. :) Clean the hard drive? CLEAN THE ENTIRE COMPUTER! I'm using a left over 55 gallon drum and poured in 6 gallons of liquid chlorine, 8 gallons of acid and about 20 gallons of water. (Just enough to cover the puter completely.) You should see all the action going on in there. That bad boy is going to be spotless. I figure about 24 hours should do it. While my box is cleaning itself, I'm using my wife's laptop, which has a small screen. When she leaves later today, I'm going to take the back off the screen part and hook some wires somewhere in there to somewhere in the back of the big screen tv. My wife will like that. :lol:

Guest LilBambi
Stryder has advised me to run my cd-rw drive through the dishwasher.
I autoclave mine...it's a security thing; I want the disk "sterilized".
BIOHAZARD WARNING: Do not enter the 'claving' room without a bio-suit when cleaning your computer. After the 'claving' process is complete: Open the door to the autoclave and turn on an exhaust fan in one open window in the room. Then leave the room; close and seal the area around the door to the room for at least 24-48 hours.That should allow the proper timeframe to clear the air and to 'set' the plastic back to its original 'non-zipped' condition before attempting to breath unassisted in the room.Just a thought LOL!

I am speechless
That's not such a good thing on a public forum. Come to think of it...since this is a text based board, breaking your arm could render you speechless, as well. :D

Martini Lover

I have two cats, they tell me there is no PURRRRfect school. If there was, the classes would interfere with their sleep and meal time. It would have to be a TAILer made course, for their schedule. The little one (he's named after the very first cat WHACK) said he knows that the top of the monitor is warm, and that where he wants to sleep. B)

Guest LilBambi

Home schooling. Yep, sounds like home schooling is the ticket.Montessori Home Cat Schooling.Let them chase the mouse around the Internet? Let them learn at their own pace ... LOL!

jbredmound
My BrowserBuddy assistant thing says that since my last visit:There are 3702 new posts. Howum I gonna ketchup?
Your going to have to mustard up some determination and dive right in. Maybe you can sandwich some time in... it's not going to be a picnic...

You kids keep this up and I'm going to have to rename this thread, "Really Bad Endive". You butter not make me do that...so lettuce stop this silliness right now! :blink:

Guest LilBambi

Speaking of puns on wordsLyrics to "Wet Dreams" from Dr. Demento's 20 EditionExcerpt:

I invited her up to my place for a little midnight bait.I said, "C'mon baby, it'll only take a few minnows."She threw me that same old line: "Not tonight, I got a haddock." And she wasn't kidding, either, cause in came the biggest,meanest looking haddock I'd ever seen come down the pike.He was covered with mussels. He came over to me; he said, "Listen, Shrimp.Don't you come trollin' around here." What a crab.This guy was steamed. I could see the anchor in his eyes.
LOL! I Hey, I had to think of a way to keep the Topic title from changing to "Really Bad Endive". LOL! NOTE: Better look quick ... Postings in other SFNL Topic Threads have indicated that the RIAA is tearing down the Lyric sites! :blink:

Postings in other SFNL Topic Threads have indicated that the RIAA is tearing down the Lyric sites!
A link, Fran...can I buy a link? I have about 125 SFNL credits in my account...will that be enough? :blink: Ooooo, if that's true, it's one more example of an industry shafting their customers. What could they possibly have against the publication of lyrics? Within the law, of course. B)

Credits - where do I get credits? I knew you were keeping something from me. I want credits. Or is that what those little pips are?________________________Out of the Loop and Wants In

Credits - where do I get credits? I knew you were keeping something from me.  I want credits.  Or is that what those little pips are?________________________Out of the Loop and Wants In
Why do I have this feeling that the credits are a secret, moderator only, bonus? ;) That's why we've never heard about them before! Of course if Scot found out that we know and it was LilBambi and Jeber that spilled the beans, OOOHHHH.... I wouldn't want to know the horrors!! :P :P You guys better keep this quiet and hope that only teacher and I find out... Wouldn't want to cause a ruckus! ;) :D ;)

Why do I have this feeling that the credits are a secret, moderator only, bonus? ;)  That's why we've never heard about them before!  Of course if Scot found out that we know and it was LilBambi and Jeber that spilled the beans, OOOHHHH.... I wouldn't want to know the horrors!! :P :P  You guys better keep this quiet and hope that only teacher and I find out...  Wouldn't want to cause a ruckus! ;) :D ;)
Ryan - Congratulations on becoming a Topic Cop. If we work real hard, they might let us in on a few of their secrets! We want credits! ________________________In Quest of Knowledge

Oh, pipe down, all you pipsters! ;) A long, long time ago in a thread far, far away...I offered SFNL cedits as a prize for some ridiculous contest. At that time I explained that these credits were absolutely worthless, virtual credits, if you will. (However, if you collect enough of them, you can redeem them for the large stuffed bunny on your way out of the park ;) ) They are not real...they are not a "mod" thing...they are not any thing.I can't believe you guys bit on this one! B) Boy, you're an easy audience. Wait 'till I pull my next stunt. I'm gonna have some fun with ya'all. ;)

jbredmound
We want credits! ________________________In Quest of Knowledge
Creditcred·it [ kréddit ] noun (plural cred·its) 1. recognition: praise or recognition for something done or achieved 2. source of pride: somebody or something that is a source of pride or honor 3. good reputation: somebody’s good reputation among or influence with other people She has a lot of credit with this community. 4. commerce pay-later system: an arrangement by which a buyer can take possession of something now and pay for it later or over time offer credit buy on credit 5. commerce time to pay: the time allowed for payment of something by credit 6. finance financial status: somebody’s financial status or reputation 7. commerce spending entitlement at store: money that a customer is owed by a store and is entitled to spend there 8. commerce balance in account: the amount of money in an account after debts have been charged against it 9. finance money paid into account: an amount of money paid into an account 10. finance amount bank will lend: the amount of money that a financial institution is prepared to lend somebody 11. acknowledgment of somebody’s role: a mention of the role that somebody played in an endeavor, especially an artistic one 12. accounting deduction of payment from owed amount: the deduction from a business account of an amount owed paid from the amount 13. accounting account payments column: the right-hand side of an account record, where payments to the account are recorded 14. accounting payment recorded: a payment recorded against an amount owed 15. education course unit: a unit of study, often equivalent to an hour of class time, in a course of higher education 16. education recognition of course completion: official recognition that a student has satisfactorily completed a course of study get credit for a course plural noun cinema tv list of acknowledgments: a listing of the people involved in a film or television production, together with their roles or jobs transitive verb (past cred·it·ed, past participle cred·it·ed, present participle cred·it·ing, 3rd person present singular cred·its) 1. believe: to accept that something is true 2. recognize: to recognize somebody as the person responsible for an achievement 3. attribute: to ascribe something such as a personal quality to somebody 4. finance add to bank account: to add an amount of money to somebody’s account 5. accounting record payment of: to record an amount of money as a payment in an accounting record 6. accounting record payment to: to enter a credit in the record of somebody’s account 7. education make educational award to: to award a credit to a student for successful completion of a course of study [Mid-16th century. From French, ultimately from Latin creditum loan, from the past participle of credere to entrust, believe. The underlying idea is of something entrusted.] creed·al adjective to somebody’s credit commendable of somebody Word History Credit is derived from Latin credere , meaning “to believe,†which is also the source of English credible, creed, grant, and miscreant. Encarta® World English Dictionary [North American Edition] © & (P)2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc. So, which "credit" were you interested in?

attribute: to ascribe something such as a personal quality to somebody
Thanks jbredmound...there 'ya go. You're all wonderful people and the best members in the forums. Now you got your credits! ;)