jbredmound
Dear Jeber ....I have a little housekeeping matter.  What is the best way to clean my screen?
I am going to try to stand in for Jeber here. To clean your screen, you need to take it carefully from your bowl. Then, attach it to your clip and fire up your butane lighter under it. Once all you have is ash, let it cool, and just rub off the remaining ash.Your screen will only tolerate this treatment a couple of times, so make sure to have an extra screen in your wallet, just in case.So, 30+ years ago, was my wallet a "screensaver"?
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeber

• Temmu

• teacher

jbredmound, you and I are from the same generation, and probably have some of the same memories of the '60's. Sad to say, I've now been around computers long enough, and away from my old habits long enough, to where when I hear the word "screen", I automatically think "computer screen". All my old hippy buddies are burning me in effigy as we speak!stretchr, if you were indeed discussing computer screens, my consistant attitude is that air is the best cleaner. But not one of those sissy little cans of air. True geeks go to the hardware store (NO, not CompUSA!! A real hardware store) and buy the most powerful shop vac there. Don't worry about bags. You'll never use the suction function. Hook the hose up to the outflow hole and dust off that screen. Have a friend either, 1) hold the computer down while you clean it, or 2) "spot" the computer...follow it's flight so you both can recover the computer once it lands. The shop vac also comes in handy for solving overheating problems for overclockers.

Edited by Jeber
teacher

Okay guys.... Now I am learning about the things I was too naive to know about in the 60s. Let me merge that with the stuff I hear about now in the ...... Wait a minute, how do you refer to this decade..... the zeros?I guess I could ask my students how they refer to this now but I am not sure I really want to know. They might wonder why I would even ask. :)(If you wonder why I edited it, it was the school teacher in me. I used the wrong form of "too" and could not let it stand). :)

Temmu

LOL @jbredmound!@jeber - overflow hole - so that's what that's for! LOL!===============okoki need some advice (preferably less destructive than last time, my brother's still upset over the chainsaw thing...)i've found a site to Download The Internet i'm using a state-of-the-art 9600 baud hayes modem. :D i keep getting these annoying 'low diskspace' errors... :D any suggestions? :D

benhenry

I don't know where else to turn. So I turned up here. I wrote a little script for making searches more convenient, and I wondered how to get the word out to my buddies here at the forum... it is described here: Search HelperBut my real problem is this: I have invented a truly wonderful food that nobody in my family has the courage to try. I'm not getting younger, and I'm afraid that there will be no one left in this world to carry on my midnight snack tradition when I'm gone.Before I tell you what it is, let me ask a question: "Is a tomato a vegetable, or a fruit?"I believe it is classified technically as a fruit.Another question: "It is perfectly acceptable to make a peanut butter sandwich with different kinds of fruit, isn't it?"Peanut butter and strawberry jelly sandwiches are good...So why not Peanut Butter and Tomato sandwiches?They are truly wonderful. The saltiness and creaminess of the peanut butter blends marvelously with the crisp freshness and moistness of the sliced tomato. On toasted wheat bread is best...How can I get people to try it? I am convinced that it is one of the tastiest and healthiest snacks available at midnight over my kitchen sink.And you don't even have to pull the screen out of the aerator of the faucet.

Guest ComputerBob
i keep getting these annoying 'low diskspace' errors... :lol: any suggestions? ;)
That's an easy one to solve. Your computer's hard drive is mounted too low in your PC's case. Simply move the hard drive up to a higher drive bay. If you don't have a higher drive bay that is open, use duct tape to secure the hard drive to the inside top of the case.Doing this with your RAM will also solve "low memory" errors.
brucekrymow
So why not Peanut Butter and Tomato sandwiches?
Well, Ben, I must say you are on to something there. I, too am a midnight snacker and thought I would give it a try - lo and behold - it is indeed tastier than you attempted to describe!eatcursor.gif
Guest LilBambi
LOL @jbredmound!@jeber - overflow hole - so that's what that's for!  LOL!===============okoki need some advice (preferably less destructive than last time, my brother's still upset over the chainsaw thing...)i've found a site to Download The Internet  i'm using a state-of-the-art 9600 baud hayes modem.  ;) i keep getting these annoying 'low diskspace' errors...  :lol: any suggestions?  ;)
Temmu --If ComputerBob's suggestion doesn't work to your liking ... you could always kick back to a 300 or 600 baud modem and you won't see those annoying errors so often ;)
John Pulliam
jbredmound's on to something here...hire a bi-polar ex-con (NOT white collar) as your neighbor's maintenance man through a third party not traceable back to you. 
wait a sec... *you* are a bi-polar blue-collar ex-con... why don't you do it?? Besides, he'll buy you a cola or something, maybe give you half of his snickers to do it! Isn't that payoff enough?? ;)
benhenry
So why not Peanut Butter and Tomato sandwiches?
Well, Ben, I must say you are on to something there. I, too am a midnight snacker and thought I would give it a try - lo and behold - it is indeed tastier than you attempted to describe!eatcursor.gif
Hi Bruce... thanks, man! A convert! My faith is restored! If you build it, they will come.
wait a sec... *you* are a bi-polar blue-collar ex-con.
You, my good man, are soiling my good name. I will have you know that I am not now, nor have I ever been, blue-collar. I demand an immediate retraction. <_<
Guest ComputerBob
wait a sec... *you* are a bi-polar blue-collar ex-con.
You, my good man, are soiling my good name. I will have you know that I am not now, nor have I ever been, blue-collar. I demand an immediate retraction. <_<
Jeber, when you're old, you'll be adding "See what I did there?" to the end of lines like that. ;) ;) ;)

Hey, for all you who are new to Scot's forum, we are offering a mid-week special on bad advice. All for the price of none. Well worth the money. See these reviews from pleased readers;Anon - "What a load of c..." And Anon writes, "What a mess you made of my computer, you moron. I'm gonna..." Lastly, Anon comments, "I just wanted a double latte, and instead I got all this nonsense". This guy/gal Anon is one of my greatest fans, and sure does like to kid around a lot (I hope). Today's Word to the Herd -Are your mouse and keyboard cold to the touch first thing in the morning? Solve this minor annoyance by popping them both in the microwave for not over 6 minutes. Allow to cool slightly if blisters form on first use. Now, isn't that better? <_<

Guest LilBambi

Hey Jeber --That's much better than putting your Baking your Apple in an oven for 20 minutes at 200 degrees right and catching the keys as they pop off so you don't lose them? <_>

Baking your Apple in an oven for 20 minutes at 200 degrees right and catching the keys as they pop off so you don't lose them
You actually tried this?!?!?!Maybe you should be responsible for this thread. <_<

You know the old human nature thing...I read your post then my eyes automatically stray to your avatar and in my (warped) mind I associate the pic with the post. I do this unconsciously...I do most things while unconscious...anyway, I'm getting a cramp in my brain trying to combine the images of a koala with an apple.

jbredmound
You actually tried this?!?!?!Maybe you should be responsible for this thread. <_<
Hey, be thankful that it was just a keyboard, and not a cat or something!You let some of these people have a microwave, and It's Showtime!And Fran is the curious sort, so I can just picture her thinking, "What if....."?So be careful! (And that is Really Bad Advise.)
Temmu

computerbob, i did indeed ductape my hd to the top of my case. now my neighbor asks, what's that taped to the top of your pc?lilbambi, i used your suggestion, sorta. i used an at command string and set my baud to 300.jeber, my keys were not cold, but hey, i read your advice column so i figgured i'd give it a try. coincidently, we were having tuna cassarole last night. i put the keyboard, mouse and pad in the oven along-side. now my wife and kids wanted to know why the pc was on the kitchen counter hooked up to the kbd in the oven?as a lawyer friend of mine says, unfortunatly... i forgot they were in there.not only did the tuna cassarole taste weird (more so than usual :unsure: ) but i had to go buy replacements.i'll try again tonight and post my results. ;)

Guest LilBambi

Temmu --LOL! That was too funny!Now my only question is ... what did you have to buy replacements for; the children or your wife (after eating the weird-tasting tuna casserole)?LOL! :unsure:EDIT: Sorry Temmu!

Edited by LilBambi
now my wife and kids wanted to know why the pc was on the kitchen counter
the children or your husband
Gotcha, LilBambi! Temmu mentions tuna casserole and you presume he's the wife. Hee-hee, he's a he. :unsure: Tuna casserole is guy food (i.e. for everyone)

This brings up a point that was raised a while ago but needs to be restated. Members should fill out their biographies as completely as they're comfortable with, so that not only can we make sure our remarks are relevant, but so that the sense of community is increased. Of course, there's no biography line for male/female, so we'll just have to work that out for ourselves. :unsure:

Temmu

lilbambi - he he. :unsure: jeber - many boards have a male/female icon to choose from in the profile section... you can do?both - i've temp. modified my signature ;)

teacher
This brings up a point that was raised a while ago but needs to be restated.  Members should fill out their biographies as completely as they're comfortable with, so that not only can we make sure our remarks are relevant, but so that the sense of community is increased.  Of course, there's no biography line for male/female, so we'll just have to work that out for ourselves.  :)
Does this mean we have to try to figure out what a Jeber is too? Assumptions can be wonderufl. How else can we find reasons for eating crow or whatver the saying is? :D I would edit my sign line to say female but that is too much trouble and would confuse everyone else. Sometimes it is hard to figure out when you meet someone on the street, much less here!I tried filling out my biography info but it would not take my answers - it would not take my date of birth without the year nor could it figure out answers like "haven't touched it in years" for my ICQ number! Sometimes it is just hard to fit a round peg in a square hole," :) or maybe a square peg in a round hole.:D I get confused easily. B)
BoardFlak
This brings up a point that was raised a while ago but needs to be restated.  Members should fill out their biographies as completely as they're comfortable with, so that not only can we make sure our remarks are relevant, but so that the sense of community is increased.  Of course, there's no biography line for male/female, so we'll just have to work that out for ourselves.  B)
Now, before I go and spend a lot of time on this profile-updating activity, let me get this straight: you're saying people actually read the things here? ...and would these be the same people as are taking your advice? :D

OK, I've get 3 test posts under my belt, a test sig, I guess I'm ready to ask for some advise. I've got all kinda computer questions that have been biting me in the ankles for years, but first I need help on how to answer my Dad (68 yrs. and relatively new to computers,less than a year).here's the seq of events. I recently sent out an email from my new work address telling "everyone" that my work address is now functional (had problems in the begining) and that, oh yeah, I opened up an @msn.com address for messaging puposes and I can be reached durning my 12 hour shifts, blahblah......my dad answered back: didn't know you had a messaging address.What is it for? Dad....... what should I tell him? B)

teacher
my dad answered back:    didn't know you had a messaging address.What is it for? Dad....... what should I tell him?  B)
Tell him it was a typo and it is the address for a good masseuse. You wanted to make sure he was not suffering from sore muscles!