• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeber

• teacher

• BoardFlak

• pc-tecky

Top Posters In This Topic

Need Jeber's advice on doing a case mod - always wanted to do a case mod, with lights and pretty design - just can't think of anything. :lol:

havnblast, you're in luck. I just finished case-modding my laptop, and except for a tiny bit of damage caused by the circular saw when I was cutting a window in the case, I must say it came out pretty good. And I learned a lot of tricks I'm happy to pass along.1) Dremel tools take too long. Use your regular wood-working tools and the job will go much faster.2) Be real careful and you won't have to waste time taking all those things out of the box. Set blade depth to 1/4 inch.3) Neon lights don't always let you see the inside of your case. I'm using three 100W industrial bulbs in an old track-lighting fixture I had left over from the house remodel.4) Don't forgret to upgrade your power supply to handle the extra consumption. Hook up a gas generator to your motherboard. By removing the in-the-box power supply, you have more room for the light bulbs.5) A window is a waste of money. Just leave the holes you cut open. Extra ventalation is always good.6) The new rage is water cooling. But just plain water isn't interesting. Use shaved ice. Pack the case full of it, and not only will your system run cooler, but it will look like a big, square, beige snowglobe. Shake the box vigorously for the full effect.I'll review my notes on my mod work, at least the ones I can still read (had to soak up the blood with something, and the notes were right there...) and see if there are more tips I can pass along. :lol:

It's not really a mod, so I decided to say this in a seperate post. If you are having space problems; no convenient place to keep the big beige (black, green, puce) box, too dusty on the floor, desktop already full...try this.Suspend the tower from the ceiling, low enough to reach but up out of the way. I suggest a medium sized electromagnet mounted on the box top. This also prevents vibration from effecting the computer, except those pesky earthquakes. You just can't guard against everything. :lol:

Case modification: 1. remove all those funny things sticking out the front of the box. 2. Locate Christmas tree lights that run in a long tube. 3. Use circular bit from door knob installation kit. Drill holes that run from side to side in the case. 4. Install lights running through the front and the sides. 5. Remove serge strip and replace with extension cord.6. Plug in lights on same outlet as computer, using adapters on extension cord.7. Plug in lights. Turn on Computer.8. Get out water colors and liberally decorate side of computer. Let the glow of the lights guide you as you create a seasonal design 9. Don't worry if you make a mistake, just keep a pitcher of water handy to erae what you have done and start over.10. Enjoy!

OK, I'm only guessing here...you don"t teach Computer 101. Great idea just the same. Can't wait to try this on mom's Dell.

Guest LilBambi

Gotta love the fried egg on a chip pic! Now that's a new one!I've heard of Navy guys microwaving their foilwrapped dinner in the 'wave' guide of satellite dishes before there were microwave ovens.And cooking foilwrapped food on the move on the exhaust system of your motorcycle, or the manifold of your car or truck, but cooking an egg on a chip ... now that's novel or would that be Novell B) And oh, those case mods, wow ... can't wait to try them out! :o B) B) B) B)

OK, I'm only guessing here...you don"t teach Computer 101.  Great idea just the same.  Can't wait to try this on mom's Dell.
I never could figure out why they would not let me teach anything about hardware. They only let me play in the software. They won't even let me have administrator rights except on my 95 computers that won't connect to the network. I had another great idea for computer decorations but when I went to solder the monitor to the side of the big box I tripped over all the power cables and something happened.....

I guess this is a sort of "case mod". I was having overheating problems, so now I sit on my tower, either naked or in thin boxers. If I begin to "feel the glow", I know it's time to take a break. (For those times when I am into something really important, I have a couple of hotpads handy.Thanks to SNFL, I will now keep some shaved ice in the freezer for when computing becomes unbearable. :blink:

I sit on my tower, either naked or in thin boxers.
NOT a good mental image for 10AM. I hope you're not using the public computers at the local library! :o

Hey Jeber!I just sorted out all of my CDs. I have a stack of about 50 or so that have every driver for every motherboard, video card, modem, monitor, etc. from each of the 9 computers I have owned over the years. I really can't remember which one is from which computer.Should I just insert them into my computer one at a time and install them to see if I can figure out which belongs with which computer? What would you recommend?

:o I keep pluggin the wood lathe into the same power strip as computer and keep blowing the fuse. Thought I would start with that tool first for case mod. Knock the corners off type thing

I keep pluggin the wood lathe into the same power strip as computer and keep blowing the fuse.
Run the computer off an extension cord (or two) plugged into the kitchen. This will keep the two on seperate lines.
Should I just insert them into my computer one at a time and install them to see if I can figure out which belongs with which computer?
One at a time? How much free time do you have? No, no...you can stack up at least three at a time in the CD-ROM drive. Saves time. Download everything to anywhere in the C: drive so they'll be close to the Windows stuff. Anytime your hardware needs a driver, aim the installation dialogue to that folder. Be sure you give the folder a unique name you'll remember. Like "Drivers_I_Downloaded_From_All_Those_Disks_I_Found_Laying_Around" Add any old extension, since it's a folder and they don't care what extension they are.

:o They had a teacher workshop one afternoon where they told us we should laugh 100 times a day. Maybe they meant just check Jeber's post?

Guest ComputerBob
for some reason, my brother did NOT appreciate those case mods i performed on his stuff...o well, there's no accounting for taste  :D
He's EATING his computer case?!! That's probably not a good idea. :D

Guest LilBambi
for some reason, my brother did NOT appreciate those case mods i performed on his stuff...o well, there's no accounting for taste  B)
He's EATING his computer case?!! That's probably not a good idea. B)
Bob --Yeah, really hard on digestion B)

He could rupture his colon, and cause worse damage to his semi-colon. Give him a manual to chew on...no one reads 'em anyway.

Guest ComputerBob
He could rupture his colon, and cause worse damage to his semi-colon.  Give him a manual to chew on...no one reads 'em anyway.
I just KNEW that if I fed you that straight line, you'd run with it. B) B) "Good night, Gracie." B)

What's a manual?
Well... the only thing I'm sure of is that it's not an automatic... something to do with actually doing the stuff yourself??? don't know if this makes sense, but according to dictionary.comManual: # Done by, used by, or operated with the hands. # Employing human rather than mechanical energy.now why anyone would want to do anything this way, I'm not sure!

teacher --Definitely tell 'em to read Jeber's posts!  :blink:
I actually printed quite a few and passed around at lunch! I guess I will have to save up for next week when we go off spring break.

I actually printed quite a few and passed around at lunch!
I guess this makes up for all the times I snuck into the teacher's lounge in high school to print copies of my underground, anti-war, anti-establishment, anti-anything else I didn't like at the time newspaper. Never got caught, and saved a bundle in printing costs.

Manual was the guy that took care of my lawn in Phoenix...I miss the heck out of him, too.There are no specific contraindications to eating your computer case, as long as you chew it thoroughly (masticatus totalus).It's your own fault if you are blowing fuses...I hotwired past my breaker box a long time ago.I would not sit naked on a computer tower at a public library...the darn fools would think it was art, and I'm too busy for a second job.And you will not need extension cords if you'll bolt down a 40 hp Coleman gas generator to the bottom shelf of you computer station, like me. AND, it's sound blots out that annoying HD "whirrr".Nuff said. Next thread? (I guess I sewed this one up. Have I kept you in stitches? What makes this a tight knit group are all of these pearls of wisdom. I'm starting to feel a little hemmed in, and I'm afraid I'm going to get buttonholed. See ya! :D

Manual was the guy that took care of my lawn in Phoenix...I miss the heck out of him, too.There are no specific contraindications to eating your computer case, as long as you chew it thoroughly (masticatus totalus).It's your own fault if you are blowing fuses...I hotwired past my breaker box a long time ago.I would not sit naked on a computer tower at a public library...the darn fools would think it was art, and I'm too busy for a second job.And you will not need extension cords if you'll bolt down a 40 hp Coleman gas generator to the bottom shelf of you computer station, like me. AND, it's sound blots out that annoying HD "whirrr".Nuff said. Next thread? (I guess I sewed this one up. Have I kept you in stitches? What makes this a tight knit group are all of these pearls of wisdom. I'm starting to feel a little hemmed in, and I'm afraid I'm going to get buttonholed.  See ya!  :D
Are you trying to take over Jeber's job of chief funny man? :D :D :D :D