Really Bad Advice

Jeber

A long, long time ago in a thread far, far away...I offered SFNL cedits as a prize for some ridiculous contest.  At that time I explained that these credits were absolutely worthless, virtual credits, if you will.  (However, if you collect enough of them, you can redeem them for the large stuffed bunny on your way out of the park  ;) )
A BUNNY - I WANT A LARGE STUFFED BUNNY TOO!------------------The bunnyless Sieb! :rolleyes:PS - jb - this is the water cooler - I can't read all of the c**p . . . er . . . stuff! Give us a few Big, Colorful Letters!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jeber

• teacher

• BoardFlak

• pc-tecky

Top Posters In This Topic

jbredmound
A long, long time ago in a thread far, far away...I offered SFNL cedits as a prize for some ridiculous contest.  At that time I PS - jb - this is the water cooler - I can't read all of the c**p! Give us a few Big, Colorful Letters!
OK, I'm Sorry...I was just trying to be "pertinent". Anyway, give me someCREDITfor trying!

Much better jb - Now I can just read the nice big pretty letters. B) I was going to one-up you by getting out my unabridged dictionary & typing a few more definitions, but I'll give you credit that you got them all & then some! ;)

Watcha apologizing for, jbredmound? You gave me the perfect out. Not to mention the work you went through to compile all that. Congrat's.

acknowledgment of somebody’s role: a mention of the role that somebody played in an endeavor, especially an artistic one
So I give you credit for your post and your involvement in the forums. And a pat on the head, to boot! ;) Sieb...the bunny's yours.......................................if you've got the credits! ;) Oh, you were apologizing to Sieb. I missed that part. Well, I still mean what I posted.BTW, I made that small so Sieb couldn't read it. B)

Sieb...the bunny's yours.......................................if you've got the credits!  ;) Oh, you were apologizing to Sieb.  I missed that part.  Well, I still mean what I posted.BTW, I made that small so Sieb couldn't read it.  ;)
Jeber,It's now on permanent record - I have witnesses. I WANT THE LARGE STUFFED BUNNY! I have my super-duper enlarger lenses in my sunglasses right now, so you can't get anything by me! B) ----------------The I can't wait for my prize Sieb

The I can't wait for my prize Sieb
Someone offered you "a prize Sieb"? Well now...that's a far superior prize than what I was offering. I say go for it. Forget the bunny...reach for the gold Sieb. ;)

That's it. Forget the bunny.I want the gold! ;) I'm not greedy or anything, but I had a bunny once. All he did was fertilize the yard under his home and eat! ;) B) ____________________-Keeping up with the ?????

Guest LilBambi

Jeber --I got this neighbor with a problem with their computer ... they say that everytime they try to type on the computer it types the wrong letters. What should they do?tlsdkfj for you help :)

Bet they got one of those used "crypto" keyboards at a government surplus sale. All typing is automatically encrypted as you type by typing a letter other than the one you hit. First they'll need to determine the encryption key. Using the basic "A=1, B=2, C=3...they can figure out the algorithm. If it's "plus 4" for example, then typing an "A" would print an "E" (1+4=5...5=E). Then they can remap their keyboard based on what letter they really want to type. In the above example, they'd tape a piece of paper with an E onto the A key. Or perhaps they'd prefer the "nail polish" solution. Paint the new letter over the old with a dark nail polish. The biggest problem arises if they are touch typists. Encryption like this kind of destroys that skill.Alternately, they may simply want to move their computer further away form their neighbor's wireless keyboard. Then, whatever the neighbor types won't show up on their monitor.

tlsdkfj
OK, I give...you win. Wassit? :)

Did you check with Bruno? He is great with translations! I bet he has a penguin to Dutch to French to penguin to English to Gibberish translator there somewhere!Bruno - your turn!

Fran, you know I'm an idiot...you still haven't explained what "tlsdkfj" pertains to. Anything?...or are you just messing with me?SFNL PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENTToday's bit of advice comes from a friend of mine who is recovering well...he works on a help desk, and his tip was developed on the job. Visit a store like Home Depot, or hang around a construction site (you penny-pinching cheapo's), and pick up 4 one foot squares of ceiling tile, the acoustic type. Sit in the chair at your computer as you normally would to work. Find the spot on the wall closest to your head, and mount the tiles there on the wall. This will provide excellent padding for your cranium the next time you suffer a BSOD or just have to work on your PC.Thanks for the tip, Bill TC, hope you're well soon. The help desk needs you. B)

Guest LilBambi

Jeber --Good one LOL! RE: tlsdkfj for you helpIt was supposed to mean "Thanks" for the help ... from someone who was having a keyboard problem.(I was sure you would get the keyboard problem and the 'neighbor' reference ... you know ... everybody says it's a neighbor with a problem when it's really them :rolleyes: ... Oh, well. Guess it was just too vague. :unsure: ) ... will try to do better next time :)

I am so contrite!! Please excuse me. What a brain fart. The brain cells required to complete the synapses necessary for me to have understood your very clever wordplay were unfortunately destroyed by a lifestyle inspired by a deep longing to remain in the 60's. :rolleyes: i.e. ...sorry, Bill, but I did inhale.A true "ID 10 T" error. Told you I was an idiot. Thought I was kidding, did you? :DThe real problem is that I seldom pay any attention to what I write. Why would I want to read the words of a bozo like me? I can't even give myself advice. I'd have to know something that I didn't know, but I already know everything I don't know, and I know everything I know, 'ya know? :unsure:

Guest LilBambi

Jeber --LOL! I would never call you an idiot ... you are far too brilliantly witty!I look forward to your witty posts more than you know :rolleyes:

Guest LilBambi

greengeek --LOL! Ah, come on ... there's a little bit of the 60s in all of us in one way or another ... it was a idealistic time ... a time for contemplation, and ... and ... poetry and bongo drums ... and some really great music! It wasn't all about not inhaling :rolleyes:

Thanks to Uncle Sam I got to play on a Cray in the late 70's. There were some "decent" computers around...but not many, and only in select places. But man... if you could get access to one of those places..................................hog heaven! :rolleyes:

jbredmound
Jeber --LOL! I would never call you an idiot ... you are far too brilliantly witty!I look forward to your witty posts more than you know  :rolleyes:
OK, I will...Jeber, you're an Idiot.That's why I look forward to hanging out with you.

Guest LilBambi

greengeek --You got that right ... wouldn't even fit in my living room! I don't think anyway.JB --You are a riot! ;) There are so many wonderful posters on SFNL Forums! It's really great to be here!

Jeber's new sig line (yeah, I know it's been there for a bit, but I haven't had a chance to check in much for a few days) reminds me of my current favorite version of the "foolproof" line:Nothing can be made foolproof; the best you can ever hope to achieve is fool-resistant.

Guest LilBambi

Found this funny analogy between computers and the auto industry in 1998 ...Computers and Cars: A comparisonLots more on the page, but here's one quote:

At a recent computer expo, Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated " If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving twenty-five dollar cars that got 1000mi/gal. " Recently General Motors addressed this comment by releasing the statement "Yes, but would you want your car to crash twice a day?"
Jeber --My computer is having memory problems ... I have put it in the corner with a Dunce cap with its face in the corner on for a timeout ... any other suggestions on how to improve it's memory? B) B) ;) B)

Fran...try the easiest solution first.Crush about 10 Ginko Baloba tablets and distribute the powder liberally inside the computer case. The box mine came in say it can take up to 4 weeks to work, so give it a little time and post back with the results. If that fix fails, we may need to step up to getting one of those memory improvement books and laying it in the bottom of the case and allowing your system to "read" it. B)