Sound Blaster Audigy2 & Mandrake

ross549

Guest LilBambi

Here's a guide that someone actually put up on the web about setting up the Audigy 2 with Mandrake 9.1:

Audigy 2 linux setup guideBy: Jesper Noehr This is a guide for setting up a Creative Audigy 2 sound card.I had some trouble setting it up, so I decided to write a small guide on it, to help others in the same situation as me.I set it up on a mandrake 9.1, but it shouldn't matter what version of linux you are using. The driver should be equivalent on all variants of linux and perhaps BSD (haven't tested it).First of all, you need to download the latest source of the emu10k1 driver.This driver is supported by Creative, for open-source operating sytems.It seems the latest driver in kernel 2.4.21 at this time, the audigy 2 soundcard is NOT supported. Therefor, you need to download it manually.Here's a short description of how to download it via CVS:$ cd /tmp$ cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/emu10k1 login $ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/emu10k1 co emu10k1$ su# cd emu10k1/# make# make installWhen you're done with this, presuming it didn't cause any problems, you should do the following:# rm /lib/modules//kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.o# mv emu10k1.o /lib/modules//kernel/drivers/sound/emu10k1/emu10k1.oAfter this, you removed the old version of the emu10k1 driver, and replaced it with the new, compiled one.If, you are using mandrake, you need to edit /etc/modules.conf with your favorite editor, this being of course, emacs. :-)You need to remove all the lines containing anything about sound, or with the emu10k1 line in it. Then, you need to add the following line:alias sound emu10k1Run /sbin/lsmod and see if ``snd-emu10k1'' is probed. If it is, you need to do# rmmod snd-emu10k1If it won't allow you to do this because it is in use, close all programs using it.To see a list of programs using it, do:# lsof | grep dspAfter this is done, you need to probe the newly compiled module;# modprobe emu10k1This will load the compiled driver into the memory, so you can use it.Now, see if your user is added to the 'audio' group in /etc/group.If it is not, do so.Now, you may need to reboot, for everything to function, but try it out.Start up xmms and put on your favorite tune. You should hear sound!It worked for me anyways, and as I said, I tried a lot of stuff before this.I hope this helped you out, you are welcome to send me comments.Jesper Nøhr, Sunday, September 28 2003, 00:38 am.
Page here:http://guides.printf.dk/audigy2.htm

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Owyn

• ross549

• Bruno

• teacher

Top Posters In This Topic

[adam@ip68-10-250-190 adam]$ rpm -qa | grep -i alsalibalsa2-0.9.0-0.14rc7mdklibalsa-data-0.9.0-0.14rc7mdkalsa-utils-0.9.0-0.8rc7mdkxmms-alsa-0.9.7-3mdk

Were they that way before you started the XMMS test. ie. had you allready installed the alsa upgrades.Also which, mirror did you use. You seem to have different versions than I do.
Those came of disc 3

Fran:Just finished reading your comments. Got to think about them for a bit. Also need to do some testing in the console.PS: Thanks for jumping in. I am a novice with the Drake and was feeling uncomfortable about proceeding.

Guest LilBambi

My pleasure Owyn, just hope some of it helps LOL! :)I don't have an Audigy 2 card ... or any of the Audigy series for that matter so I was trying to see what others have come up with that might help.

Ross:I am starting to poop out. Thanks for sticking with me this far. I did say at the beginning it would be slow and easy. I was checking out a lot of other things for myself at the same time.If you don't mind I will call it a night and get back to this tomorrow. Can think better after some sleep and a good workout.Fran:You are more than welcome to carry on the second shift. You seem to have been there and done that with this type of problem.

Guest LilBambi

Owyn,Have a great night! Rest and a workout is always a good restorative.And you are right, I have had my share of audio problems over the years with Linux, but not with the Audigy 2.My problems were usually related to IRQ conflicts with LAN and modem .. and nearly always one of these cards decided not to be cooperative with changing IRQs.ross549,At least you are not having that problem ... IRQ conflicts. ;) There often are little things to cause a wrinkle in an otherwise perfect install. If we can't get it going, perhaps Bruno will be back in time to help overnight ;)

I have been going on this for about 8 hrs. Gonna crash out on this project for the time being. I'll pick it back up in the morning.... um, afternoon.

Good morning . . . . . you three have been busy ! I have just a few questions: What does your "/etc/modules.conf" look like ? $ cat /etc/modules.conf ( For the sound there sould only be the line: "alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1", leave eth0 and USB as they are :lol: ) Has the mobo on board sound and is it disabled if you are using a PCI card ( Mandrake can´t handle two cards at the same time ) You can start the alsa-mixer by typing "alsamixer" in a console. The quote that Fran posted from http://guides.printf.dk/audigy2.htm looks like the most logic to me. Also interesting:

Ok, here is what I have done after compiling again and again and trying diffent combinations, downloading cvs. It was much simpler than I thought.I have open the modules.conf and remove all the entrys of sound (audigy, emu10k1, and the post-install command of the script).Then I have run the the mcc and then I have gone to hardware devices--> Run Configuration. The default driver was the snd-audigy. Choose Let me pick a driver and choose the emu10k1.Quit the mcc and go at the modules.conf and check that the only sound entry is:alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1rebootsolved with 5.1 surround.You might don't need to go through the mcc, but just removing all the sound lines and just adding the alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1 line, works.Ahh! Something else do not try to use the drivers from www.opensound.com/. It DOESN'T work if you DON'T PAY. More accuretly, the trial version works only for 3 hours the first week and then you have to do soundoff and then soundon back again, after the firtst week your soundcard will be blocked for 20min before you can do soundon again. I can NOT understand why this oss is posted as a soloution in some forums (at least at this forum it was posted just once i think).
;) Bruno

Hi allI spent a bit of time this morning trying to recap what had happened and what to do next. Unfortunately I am running out of time and will be gone shortly until late afternoon.One thing I did do was to take all the Mandrake Sound Trouble Shooting Tips and implement them as a shell script. This gives a better and quicker way to get all the sound info in one step.To implement the script:1)Select all the text in the code block at the end of this message. Copy the text.2)In a console type the command "vi mdksoundchk.sh"3)In vi- Press "I" (without the quotes) to go to insert mode- Select Edit->Paste from the console menu- Press "ZZ" to save the new file4)In the console type the command "chmod 755 mdksoundchk.sh"5)Just su and then type "./mdksoundchk.sh" to run the script. The results from the check can be selected and copied into a message quote or code block.I am still confused by why some things, aumix in particular, work on my system but don't on Adams. I also tested the "alsamixer". Seems to work the same as aumix when Alsa modules are loaded. Just Use <- and -> to select control and Up and Down Arrows to adjust level. Press Esc to exit.The script:

#!/bin/shecho mdksoundchk.sh - Run all Mandrake Sound Trouble Shooting tipsechoecho Checking Driverlspcidrake -v | fgrep AUDIOechoecho Checking Actual Driver in Usegrep sound-slot /etc/modules.confechoecho Checking Modulescat /etc/modules.confechoecho Checking if Module Loaded/sbin/lsmodechoecho Checking if services configured to be run on initlevel 3echo Checking if Sound services configured/sbin/chkconfig --list soundechoecho Checking if Alsa service configured/sbin/chkconfig --list alsaechoecho Checking if Sound Volume mutedaumix -qechoecho Checking which program uses the sound card/sbin/fuser -v /dev/dspechoecho End of Checks

Nice script Owyn. I just ran it on my machine (I have yet to configure my sound :lol: That put together a lot of the things I was messing with on mine last night. Now I just have to figure out why also is off for 1, 2, and 6. That could be why mine does not work. Between that and the article I am looking at I should have some good ideas......Now if we can get Ross549 up and running so he can have "joy"! We want him to be a happy penguin. ;)

Thanks! I had not gotten that far in my reading yet to decode it all. I figure this is all practice anyway since the new release is around the corner. <<with a look of longing in the eyes :) >>

Bruno,Is this alsa-project October 10, 2003 .tar.bz2 file a later version than included with the stock Mandrake? Could it be of help if it is?alsa-driver-0.9.7b.tar.bz2
Fran, this looks indeed like a driver that is the most fresh you can get . . . and not yet in Mandrake.Owyn, Nice script, will run it on my second computer, that has weird reactions on the RC2 and sound, that are filed as a bug and fixed in the cooker for the final.:) Bruno

Now if we can get Ross549 up and running so he can have "joy"!  We want him to be a happy penguin.  :)
I am NOT a penguin!!!!!!!! I just decided to stop cleaning my windows all the time. :)

5)Just su and then type "./mdksoundchk.sh" to run the script.
mdksoundchk.sh - Run all Mandrake Sound Trouble Shooting tipsChecking Driveraudigy          : Creative Labs|EMU10K2 Audigy Audio Processor [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] (vendor:1102 device:0004 subv:1102 subd:1002)Checking Actual Driver in Usealias sound-slot-1 audigyalias sound-slot-0 audigyChecking if Module LoadedModule                  Size  Used by    Not taintedisofs                  27988   1  (autoclean)zlib_inflate           21156   0  (autoclean) [isofs]udf                    90464   0  (autoclean)snd-pcm-oss            43556   1snd-mixer-oss          14488   0  [snd-pcm-oss]snd-emu10k1            69268   5snd-rawmidi            17600   0  [snd-emu10k1]snd-pcm                77536   0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-emu10k1]snd-timer              18376   0  [snd-pcm]snd-page-alloc          7732   0  [snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm]snd-util-mem            3008   0  [snd-emu10k1]snd-ac97-codec         40160   0  [snd-emu10k1]snd-seq-device          5832   0  [snd-emu10k1 snd-rawmidi]snd-hwdep               6368   0  [snd-emu10k1]snd                    40868   4  [snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-emu10k1 snd-rawmidi snd-pcm snd-timer snd-util-mem snd-ac97-codec snd-seq-device snd-hwdep]sg                     34636   0  (autoclean)lp                      8096   0  (autoclean) (unused)parport                34176   0  (autoclean) [lp]radeon                107428   0ipt_TOS                 1592  12  (autoclean)ipt_LOG                 4280   5  (autoclean)ipt_REJECT              3640   4  (autoclean)ipt_state               1080  10  (autoclean)iptable_mangle          2712   1  (autoclean)ip_nat_irc              3280   0  (unused)ip_nat_ftp              4016   0  (unused)iptable_nat            21048   2  [ip_nat_irc ip_nat_ftp]ip_conntrack_irc        4304   1ip_conntrack_ftp        5200   1ip_conntrack           27264   4  [ipt_state ip_nat_irc ip_nat_ftp iptable_nat ip_conntrack_irc ip_conntrack_ftp]iptable_filter          2348   1  (autoclean)ip_tables              14648   9  [ipt_TOS ipt_LOG ipt_REJECT ipt_state iptable_mangle iptable_nat iptable_filter]ac97_codec             12488   0sound                  70644   0soundcore               6276   0  [snd sound]nfsd                   74256   0  (autoclean)af_packet              14952   1  (autoclean)sr_mod                 16920   2  (autoclean)floppy                 55132   08139too                17160   1  (autoclean)mii                     3832   0  (autoclean) [8139too]ohci1394               19048   0  (unused)ieee1394               45900   0  [ohci1394]nls_iso8859-1           3516   3  (autoclean)ntfs                   76812   2  (autoclean)supermount             15296   2  (autoclean)ide-cd                 33856   0cdrom                  31648   0  [sr_mod ide-cd]ide-scsi               11280   1scsi_mod              103284   3  [sg sr_mod ide-scsi]printer                 8448   0  (unused)usb-ohci               20584   0  (unused)usbcore                72992   1  [printer usb-ohci]rtc                     8060   0  (autoclean)ext3                   59916   2jbd                    38972   2  [ext3]Checking if services configured to be run on initlevel 3Checking if Sound services configuredsound           0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:offChecking if Alsa service configuredalsa            0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:offChecking if Sound Volume mutedvol 100, 100, Pbass 100, 100treble 100, 100pcm 100, 100speaker 100, 100line 100, 100, Pmic 100, 100, Rcd 100, 100, Pigain 100, 100line1 100, 100, Pphin 100, 100, Pvideo 100, 100, PChecking which program uses the sound card                     USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND/dev/dsp                        2713 f....  artsd                                    2714 f....  artsdEnd of Checks

Nifty script!! :)

[root@ip68-10-250-190 ]# cat /etc/modules.confprobeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsialias sound-slot-1 audigyalias eth0 8139tooabove snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm-ossalias sound-slot-0 audigyprobeall usb-interface usb-ohcialias ieee1394-controller ohci1394above snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm-oss

Ross,We will wait for Owyn to check in and look at the outcome of his script . . . . but I see here that there are a few lines too many:

probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsialias sound-slot-1 audigyalias eth0 8139tooabove snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm-ossalias sound-slot-0 audigyprobeall usb-interface usb-ohcialias ieee1394-controller ohci1394above snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm-oss
The RED lines will have to go, the BLUE lines are the correct ones.OR: according to the post on LQ the only line should be: alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1 ( and NOT audigy )This came out of Owyns script too:
Checking Actual Driver in Usealias sound-slot-1 audigyalias sound-slot-0 audigy.....snd-emu10k1            69268 5
:'( Bruno

We will wait for Owyn to check in and look at the outcome of his script .
Just got back. Made some visits, 30k on the bike, 2 hours at the gym. I really need some carbs and protein before I look at this in detail.Bruno. Looks like you are right on. Could you post instructions on which files should be edited while I handle body chores.Ross: Also noticed that you have artsd running twice. That seems strange.

RossIn a console:$ su< password ># vi /etc/modules.conf ( will open modules.conf in the vi-editor )i ( to put vi in "insert' mode )These are the lines in modules.conf as they should be: ( no more, no less )-----------------------------------------probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsialias eth0 8139tooalias sound-slot-0 emu10k1probeall usb-interface usb-ohcialias ieee1394-controller ohci1394above snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm-oss-----------------------------------------Esc ( to put vi back in command-mode )ZZ ( to safe the file, two capital Z :'( )Then to load the new modules either reboot ( I like that better to be sure that the old modules are gone ) or# depmod -aB) Bruno

Ross: Also noticed that you have artsd running twice. That seems strange.
Owyn, could this be because it loaded "sound-slot-1 audigy" AND "sound-slot-0 audigy" ??:'( Bruno

These are the lines in modules.conf as they should be: ( no more, no less )-----------------------------------------probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsialias eth0 8139tooalias sound-slot-0 emu10k1probeall usb-interface usb-ohcialias ieee1394-controller ohci1394above snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm-oss-----------------------------------------:w00t: Bruno
[root@ip68-10-250-190 adam]# cat /etc/modules.confprobeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsialias eth0 8139tooalias sound-slot-0 emu10k1probeall usb-interface usb-ohcialias ieee1394-controller ohci1394above snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm-oss

Hehe- my first self-generated command in the console.... this feels so good!! :'(

Ross: Also noticed that you have artsd running twice. That seems strange.
Owyn, could this be because it loaded "sound-slot-1 audigy" AND "sound-slot-0 audigy" ??
Yep. Just what I was thinking while I made supper.