• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• V.T. Eric Layton

• BarryB

• securitybreach

Sounds good ... but .. I have tried that with FF already .. removed it via the configure you computer method ... then I tried to install from the CD that I had burned .. I still end up witht he same responses .... I am left with this thought that the CD/DVD that I burned are corrupt in that they do not install clean ... so .. if there is a means available where I can open up those two disks .. I will make the entries manually as necessary
OK dale I need some more info. 1. Can you access the files on the cd that you burned?2. are the files on the cd files that were copied or were they files that were backed up by a backup program?3. as you probably know the firefox and thunderbird are hidden files. the dot or period in front of the folder or file tells you that it is hidden example .mozilla and .mozilla-thunderbird. You can see the hidden folders in your home directory in most cases by holding down the CTRL key and pressing the H key. This should hold true in all directories. I copied and burned a bunch of hidden files to a CD and the files were not there until I remembered to use that key combination because they were hidden.4. there is software available to recover files and folders off of a bad cd. Sometimes you can do a cd to cd burn and it will restore to a bad burn to a readable copy.5 what is it you are trying to get off of the cd? the profile folder for firefox and thunderbird contains all of your settings and favorites, colors, themes, addons, Extensions, Plugins, Everything. If you can get to the profile folder in thunderbird and firefox, you should be home free unless they are corrupted. still there is a lot of info that may be salvagable.Let me know the answers to the above and maybe we can find a solution.Mel :w00t:

Eric ... after the copy/paste move ... I click on the FF icon and I get that .. alert warning about security which basically tells me . I do not have read/write privleges and to check to see if they are enabled and to see if there is enough disk space .. I can close that out and continue on with FF and do whatever ... however the main reason for the disk was to have the bookmarks saved .. that does not appear to have worked .... with the .thunderbird disk it is much worse ... in the end I lose the ability to get any email downloaded

Mel .. in order .... no I cannot get to anything that is readable ... the files on the CD/DVD are burned from the .mozilla/.thunderbird file folders from /home/dale in the .mozilla file folder there are 4 items shown after I open it ,,,, eclipse ,, extensions ,, firefox and appreg in .thunderbird there are 3 items syz46lbg ,, appreg ,,, profiles.ini .. none them lead to anything that is recognizable ..

V.T. Eric Layton

Sounds like the permissions from the backed up copies of your .mozilla and .thunderbird are not appropriate to their new locations once you paste them into the new /home/. AFTER COPY/PASTING the .mozilla and .thunderbird from your backup to your /home directory, could you give me the output of:

$ ls -al /home/<your-username*>

*insert your actual username in the above space... also remove the . In other words, if your username is "dale" the command will look like this:

$ ls -al /home/dale

I'm asking for this because I want to see the permissions and ownership of all the directories and files to compare them with the .mozilla and .thunderbird directories.

Mel .. in order .... no I cannot get to anything that is readable ... the files on the CD/DVD are burned from the .mozilla/.thunderbird file folders from /home/dale in the .mozilla file folder there are 4 items shown after I open it ,,,, eclipse ,, extensions ,, firefox and appreg in .thunderbird there are 3 items syz46lbg ,, appreg ,,, profiles.ini .. none them lead to anything that is recognizable ..
Thunderbird.the syz46lbg folder is your profile and contains all of the information that you need. if you can open it then it should have some folders in there that are self explanetary, Example a Mail folder and within that folder each email account, example mail.gmail.com. also in that folder is one called local folder and contains your email and email folders. When you open the profile ( syz46lbg ) look for a file called abook.mab abook-1.mab ect, Those are your address books.firefox.In firefox you should have a folder like 24Jklp23.default which would be your profile folder it contains all of your information and settings.That folder also contains a folder called bookmarkbackups and should have a bookmarks file in there that could be used for your bookmarks. the file will be like 2010-01-11.json the extension will be json. If you can't get into either of those profile folders. Then you won't be able to recover. your passwords are contained in 2 files and you need both of them if using a older version of firefox. they are called key.db and signons.txt if using the never firefox it will be signons.sqlite. some may or maynot have a number such as key3.db and signons3.txt.You might try pressing ctrl + h when trying to read the files on the cd. another trick would be to copy the cd to a folder on the hard drive and then try to read what is in the info copied to the hd. do these things as root. you might try burning the cd by doing a copy cd. If you have the right cd burner that corrects mistakes while burning, it just might make you a readable copy.Good LuckMel :w00t:

[dale@localhost ~]$ ls -al /home/daletotal 156drwxr-xr-x 24 dale dale 4096 Jan 20 10:10 ./drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jan 20 09:55 ../drwx------ 3 dale dale 4096 Jan 20 09:58 .adobe/-rw-r--r-- 1 dale dale 24 Jan 20 09:55 .bash_logout-rw-r--r-- 1 dale dale 376 Jan 20 09:55 .bash_profile-rw-r--r-- 1 dale dale 124 Jan 20 09:55 .bashrcdrwx------ 3 dale dale 4096 Jan 20 09:55 .dbus/-rw-rw-r-- 1 dale dale 56 Jan 20 09:57 .DCOPserver_localhost__0lrwxrwxrwx 1 dale dale 35 Jan 20 09:57 .DCOPserver_localhost_:0 -> /home/dale/.DCOPserver_localhost__0drwxr-xr-x 3 dale dale 4096 Jan 20 09:55 Desktop/-rw------- 1 dale dale 26 Jan 20 09:55 .dmrcdrwxr-xr-x 2 dale dale 4096 Jan 20 09:55 Documents/drwxr-xr-x 3 dale dale 4096 Jan 20 09:55 .emerald/-rw-r--r-- 1 dale dale 516 Jan 20 09:55 .fonts.confdrwx------ 2 dale dale 4096 Jan 20 09:57 .gconf/drwx------ 2 dale dale 4096 Jan 20 09:58 .gconfd/drwxr-xr-x 2 dale dale 4096 Jan 20 09:55 .gkrellm2/drwx------ 3 dale dale 4096 Jan 20 09:57 .gnome2/drwx------ 2 dale dale 4096 Jan 20 09:57 .gnome2_private/-rw-r--r-- 1 dale dale 11251 Jan 20 09:55 .gtkrc-2.0-rw------- 1 dale dale 195 Jan 20 09:57 .ICEauthoritydrwx------ 7 dale dale 4096 Jan 20 09:55 .kde/drwx------ 3 dale dale 4096 Jan 20 09:55 .local/drwx------ 3 dale dale 4096 Jan 20 09:58 .macromedia/drwxr-xr-x 3 dale dale 4096 Jan 20 09:55 .mcop/-rw------- 1 dale dale 31 Jan 20 09:55 .mcoprc-rw-rw-r-- 1 dale dale 0 Jan 20 09:55 .mdk-menu-migrateddrwxr-xr-x 2 dale dale 4096 Jan 20 09:55 Movies/drwx------ 5 dale dale 4096 Jan 20 10:05 .mozilla/drwxrwxr-x 2 dale dale 4096 Jan 20 09:55 .mplayer/drwxr-xr-x 2 dale dale 4096 Jan 20 09:55 Music/-rw-r--r-- 1 dale dale 15 Jan 20 09:55 .net_applet-rwxrwxr-x 1 dale dale 18 Jan 20 09:55 .net_monitorrc*drwxr-xr-x 2 dale dale 4096 Jan 20 09:55 Pictures/drwxr-xr-x 2 dale dale 4096 Jan 20 09:57 .qt/drwxrwxr-x 3 dale dale 4096 Apr 9 2009 .thunderbird/lrwxrwxrwx 1 dale dale 5 Jan 20 09:55 tmp -> //tmp/-rw------- 1 dale dale 103 Jan 20 09:57 .Xauthoritydrwxr-xr-x 4 dale dale 4096 Jan 20 09:55 .xmms/-rw------- 1 dale dale 3238 Jan 20 10:11 .xsession-errors[dale@localEric .. this is the readout after the .mozilla and .thunderbird folders are copy/paste from medium to /hone/dale
Edited by longgone

securitybreach

Dale, I know this will not help with thunderbird but I use an extension call febe https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2109 that backs up and restores your Firefox profiles including all extensions. Also, I just found out there is a version of febe for thunderbird http://softwarebychuck.com/tebe/tebe.html but it is beta right now so it may or may not work for you. Hope this helpsSorry I did not think of it before you went through all this.Here is a screenshot of the program showing backup options. Sorry the top is hard to see since I use a dark theme in firefox:f6a0ec64567836.gif

FWIW.....This is the "Alert" that I get when I open up FF in PCLinuxOS after I boot into it ...Could not initialize the application's security component. The most likely cause is problems with files in your application's profile directory. Please check that this directory has no read/write restrictions and your hard disk is not full or close to full. It is recommended that you exit the application and fix the problem. If you continue to use this session, you might see incorrect application behaviour when accessing security features

Edited by longgone

V.T. Eric Layton

Dale, Using your terminal (command line), you can reset the permissions of the .moz and .thund directories like this:

$ chmod -R 755 .mozilla .thunderbird

Make sure you're actually in the proper directory (/home/dale) when you implement this command, Dale. You can open the terminal and check to see what directory you're working in by using this command:

$ pwd

Anyway, that should change the permissions on those two directories to drwxr-xr-x, which means owner (you) can read, write, and execute. Group can read and execute. Others can read and execute.I'm not sure if that will help, but at this point... can't hurt.

"CAN'T HURT !!! .....Well heck .. that command worked for the alert in FF/Mozilla .. have not yet done anything in Thunderbird . on my way now ... updates to follow (maybe)

:hysterical: :wacko: :w00t: Gentlemen ,,,,, I thank you all for your time, dedication, input and help/advice ,,, at the moment ... everything seems to be working just fine as far as FF/Thunderbird are concerned ... only other item is the shutdown/startup has an intermittent glich .. sometimes it won't shutoff .. sometimes it won't boot all the way up ... and at other times it works fine ,, ????? ..

V.T. Eric Layton

So, to clarify... changing the permissions on those files worked for you, Dale?About the buggy bootups and shutdowns... I don't like the sound of that. :) Are there any error notices when this happens? What OS is this, Dale. I keep forgetting... Mandriva or PCLOS?

So far ,, yes ,, that change seems to have cleared up the alert/errors I was getting ... have only tried T-bird once but it was fine ... all the bookmarks in FF are back .. all the saved emails and folders in T-bird seem to be fine ...regarding the start up shutdowns ... sometimes it boots all the way up to the "log-in" window ,, I log in and when it starts to continue on to the "desktop" it gets part way loaded and stops ... only way out is to restart and hope it works .. on shutdown ,, it goes fine all the way through .. just does not turn off the computer ... I have not yet tried to shut it dow from a consol as root .. that is my next test ...

" " " Fresh Install " " "Yes .. several times .. this is the 4th time ... what would happen is I would do the COPY/PASTE with the .thunderbird info .. it would load in and I could d/l all the email from the server .. and that first time was the last time also .. any attempts after that I would get the error that it would not connect to the mail server ....But ,,, now that I know how to fix the problem ... I gues another time in the barrel would not hurt ....

Edited by longgone

V.T. Eric Layton

Heh... "another time in the barrel"... haven't heard that one in a while. ;)Yeah... go for it, Dale. It'll probably solve the buggy startup/shutdown issue for you. Like Urmas says, my favorite repair tools... the BIG hammer for hardware, and the NUKE for software issues. :thumbsup: Life is short. Time is of the essence. Don't waste it trying to figure out minutae that are causing problems when a well applied hammer or nuke is much faster.