grub has problems

longgone

Here is the problem ... I lost my menu of OS's ... here is the backround .. had problems again with XP ... got fed up .. re-installed XP and all the mainboard drivers ... XP boots up fine (no web connect though) ... I use the grub bootloader from Mandriva .. with PCLinuxOS as the default OS ... BUT ... since the menu is gone .. I can't boot into any OS except PCLinuxOS .... I did check the grub/menu.lst in PCLinuxOS .. and all the OS's do appear there .... question is .. how do I get back into Mandriva to get this all straightened out .. ???

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• V.T. Eric Layton

• BarryB

• securitybreach

Dalethere is a tool in Mandriva free DVDs (or PWP or Dual CD ) : the rescue mode. Boot the DVD, pick rescue mode..then down to restore grub on MBR.That tool is not present in Mandriva One CDs if that is what your using. in this mode, it's possible to restore the windows bootloader or the grub Mandriva bootloader.

Eric/DaleGreat tools use,The PClinuxOS LivCD will put PCLinuxOS grub in the mbr,which should put all the OS's with it. Then if needed could boot into Mandriva and restore Mandriva Grub through MCC..under boot and setup boot system if mandriva's boot splash is more to your liking.If that is not successful then use Bruno's note and rebuild the MBR, but either of the CD options would probably be easier.

Ah hah ........... mostly disregard the start of this thread ... got boot/grub/menu.lst back using Super Grub Disk .. Mandriva OS is on HDA7HD0,6 went through the prompts ,, selected it .. got into Mandriva ,, checked the grub/menu.lst .. it was good so I have the grub menu back .. boots PCLinuxOS, Mandriva, DesktopBSD ,,, lost the Windows though tells me no mbr present ... so now I gots to figure that out

DaleDid you restore the grub mbr from Mandriva? or just using super grub, Will windows boot from super grub? Thinking maybe maybe with the reinstall of windows the sectors aren't the same as previous install and you may need to re-add windows to grubYou RM's have way to much fun with your tools ya know!!

V.T. Eric Layton

Dale, you're getting pretty good at figuring this stuff out for yourself. Pretty soon you won't need us at all anymore. :(Seriously though, good job! :thumbsup:

booted from Super Grub ... selected the partition that Mandriva is on ,, booted it up ,, made sure that the boot/grub/menu.lst had all the OS's on it ... pulled out Super Grub ,, rebooted and got the Mandriva grub/menu from there .. I booted into all the listed OS's ,, only one that I did not get into was Windows .. there is an entry on the Super Grub to select Win ,, I have not tried it yet ... but if/when/after I get into Windows I need to do repair work on the boot mngr there .. it has 3 entries for Win XP Pro .. of which only one is good .. the other two are of no use ..

securitybreach
booted from Super Grub ... selected the partition that Mandriva is on ,, booted it up ,, made sure that the boot/grub/menu.lst had all the OS's on it ... pulled out Super Grub ,, rebooted and got the Mandriva grub/menu from there .. I booted into all the listed OS's ,, only one that I did not get into was Windows .. there is an entry on the Super Grub to select Win ,, I have not tried it yet ... but if/when/after I get into Windows I need to do repair work on the boot mngr there .. it has 3 entries for Win XP Pro .. of which only one is good .. the other two are of no use ..
Nice job Dale!!!

Good job indeed Dale!The minute I saw the title of your thread I thought " Here is a job for Super Grub " of which I keep the latest copy burnt on a CD, just in case I loose access to the latest MBR.I also keep a copy of my actual /grub/menu.lst in my on line yahoo mail box in case I made a mistake and messed it up. So I can go in the distro where the MBR was, name the bad /menu.lst "/menu.lst.old " replace it with the saved version and often it is " voilà ".BTW Does anyone know if Super Grub will restore a Grub-2 booboo?

:) :) Well ... actually on the Super Grub there are two entries for Win and neither one is of help to me ... So ... at the moment XP an Win7 are unavailable ... So .. here is my new question ... I want to burn to disk .. both my Thunderbird and Mozilla folders .... but the folders that I checked do not appear to have much of anything in them ,, these folders are the hidden folders in /home/dale ... are these the ones I should be looking at or is there another place I should look .... want to do this so in case my next step at trying to get Win back puts a glich in the rest of the OS's ...

Dale Open Firefox.2. Select Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks.3. The Bookmarks Manager opens. Click File > Export…( then o bring back in) 4. Save the bookmark.html file wherever you wish. I usually prefer the Desktop.Now you can use the file to import the bookmarks into another program.for thunderbird your mail, settings are usually located in your profile usually ~/.thunderlbird/xxxxxxxx.default/I would think you can copy,save to cd/usb drive then replace if you have to re-installHope this helps

V.T. Eric Layton

I keep a primary Firefox and Thunderbird profile (backed up monthly) on two separate (archive and backup) partitions on my system. I use those common profiles for ALL my distributions. :hysterical: Just copy /home/dale/.mozilla and /home/dale/.thunderbird to a CD or wherever you want store it. If you need to repair or add a profile to one of your distros, just copy your backup back into the new location's /home/dale directory. ;)

Ummm........... I like Erics' suggestion too ... BUT .... I brought up both of those files just to see if there was any info in them ... I am under the impression (probably wrong) that I should be able to open either one of those two files and be able to view the contents of the folder for a specific subject .. so far .. that has not been the case ... I only tried this to make sure that there was something in the folder .. did I not do it correct or is what I saw what I am supposed to see ... ???

V.T. Eric Layton
I Like your way Eric. :hysterical: make much more sense.
HAHA! :) Had to find a good way to do it way back in '06 when I had 12 or 15 distros on my system, all running those Moz apps. ;)
Ummm........... I like Erics' suggestion too ... BUT .... I brought up both of those files just to see if there was any info in them ... I am under the impression (probably wrong) that I should be able to open either one of those two files and be able to view the contents of the folder for a specific subject .. so far .. that has not been the case ... I only tried this to make sure that there was something in the folder .. did I not do it correct or is what I saw what I am supposed to see ... ???
Dale, are you sure the directories are empty? Here's what mine look like:th_thunar_mozshot.png*click for bigger picMy .mozilla also has my Seamonkey profiles in there. You may not have that if you're not running Seamonkey on your system.

Eric...Going by your example ... the /home/dale/ .... directory has a ... lot of folders in it .. and one for .mozilla and one for .thunderbird .... what I am saying is that when I open up say the .thunderbird folder it displays more folders ... say for instance I click on the folder titled "Web MD" ... shouldn't I be able to see all the emails that I have in that folder ??

DaleIf I'm correct, each Thunderbird mail folder is stored in two files named after the folder name:A file with no extension stores email messages in the plain text format, one after one. This file is larger than the MSF index. A corresponding (smaller) .MSF file contains mail folder indexes and preference data. Thunderbird figures out what part of the message to be displayed, the order of messages within a folder, and the like - all based on the .MSF file information. It is important to note that .MSF files do not contain any email messages and, all in all, are redundant. Thunderbird will rebuild .MSF files as needed if they are missing. My understanding of this process is that to read the mail, it must be opened within thunderbird, and because of the structure would not be viewable from within a file manager. Barry

Would that also hold true for the .mozilla folder ???So .. in theory .. if I select the .mozilla and the .thunderbird folders ... burn them to disk .. in the event that I needed them .. everything that I see on the monitor is contained in that folder ..... ??

SunratI thought just the file storage had change and that places.sqlite is used now, but it still in the profile folder.DaleIf I'm correct on Firefox, the answer is yes, copying .mozilla and.thunderbird should work

Okay .. I shall give that a shot ... somewhat along the same lines .... can I take those two disks that will be burned in PCLinuxOS ... and install them into the respective folders on my Mandriva installation ???

I would suspect yes...from Eric's statement that is what he does. Sounds reasonable..as long as your not mixing FF2 to FF3 or something like that.

V.T. Eric Layton
Eric...Going by your example ... the /home/dale/ .... directory has a ... lot of folders in it .. and one for .mozilla and one for .thunderbird .... what I am saying is that when I open up say the .thunderbird folder it displays more folders ... say for instance I click on the folder titled "Web MD" ... shouldn't I be able to see all the emails that I have in that folder ??
Nah... doesn't work that way, Dale. FF an TB store stuff in their directories as .sql files. They're not readable with plain text editors. :w00t:

V.T. Eric Layton

Barry, that's correct... to save EVERYTHING that you see in you FF (Bookmarks, saved pages, preferences, etc.) and TB (stored emails, preferences, account info, address books, etc.), just copy the .mozilla and .thunderbird (.mozilla-thunderbird in some distros) directories in their entirety. That's it. And yes... IMPORTANT: your FFs and TBs used on all your distros should be VERY close in version numbers. A profile for FF 2.0.x is going to be buggy on FF 3.0.x, for example. Yet a profile for FF 3.0.1 will work fine for FF 3.0.8. You see what I mean, I think. :w00t:

Ahemmmm.....Well ... the adventure is somewhat complete .. system recovery completed ... XP is back and on line (posting from it now) ,,, however ,,, it wiped HDA/SDA .. slick .. (not to mention that it can't read the correct size of it) ,,, PCLinuxOS, Mandriva are all gone (swap too) ... but HDB/SDB is fine ... I forsee a few hours of rebuilding everything ...

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, you got some lemons. Make some LEMONADE! :( It's a great time to wipe everything, design and create an efficient partitioning scheme, reinstall everything fresh and new! :'(