grub has problems

longgone

SunratI thought just the file storage had change and that places.sqlite is used now, but it still in the profile folder.
Correct Barry. I should have been more specific and said that bookmarks are not stored in the /firefox/$profile/bookmarks.html file as they were before FF3. The old bookmarks file could be easily opened and read, whereas the places.sqlite file needs to be exported to be easily read.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• longgone

• V.T. Eric Layton

• BarryB

• securitybreach

Done ... except for tweaks, peaks an dipsMandriva installed along with 306 updates ... PCLinuxOS installed along with 942 updates .... now to find out about these disks I burned for .mozilla and .thunderbird ...

Question regarding the Thunderbird mail client in PCLinuxOS ... normally .. the mail server is a POP3 .. for some reason .. it is now an IMAP ... how do I change it back to a POP3 mail server ???

V.T. Eric Layton

Nothing should have changed on your account info if you just copied/pasted those directories that you backed up. You have to be talking about a specific email account here, Dale. Are you SURE that it wasn't IMAP all along? Uh... here's a question I oughta' ask... is it working? Thunderbird, that is... is it retrieving your mails from your email accounts online?

Thunderbird is good in Mandriva using a POP3 mail server ... what I noticed in PCLinuxOS .. when I went to set up the mail account .. I did not get the set up window that I would normally get .. that gives me the choice of either a IMAP or POP3 account

V.T. Eric Layton

You shouldn't have had to set up any accounts, Dale, if you pasted that backed up .thunderbird directory into you new PCLOS /home/dale. Or did you not use the backed up stuff that you saved to CD?Also, buddy... what specific email account are we talking about here? Gmail? Your ISP account? Something like that? Is it the SAME account that you're comparing in Mandriva and PCLOS?

When testing Thunderbird 3 I noticed that it automatically sets up Gmail using IMAP instead of POP3. Not a bad thing at all.I didn't try it with any other accounts.

I have not yet tried to put the items I burned to disk into their respective folders .. I wanted to get everything set up prior to that ... and since the email account is not set up during the install .. I do it when I make the initial mail retrevial process ... and I do use POP3 server for all the different OS's for the email account

:hysterical: :happyroll: Disregard .. the email account .. problem .. situation resolved .. solution ... delete the IMAP account in its entirety ,, create a new account using the "reset account" feature .. changed it to a POP3 account ,, logged in and got alllllll the stored emails ... NOW ...explain the process/procedures I need to use to take the info on the two disks I burned and put it in the respective folders in /home/dale/ ...

V.T. Eric Layton

Backing up your FF and TB1) Copy the ENTIRE .mozilla and .thunderbird directories to your backup destination, e.g, CDs, DVDs, separate hd partitions, etc.2) Put a plain text README note in there with a copy of these directions AND a notice that you must have "show hidden files" on in your file manager (Nautilus, Konqueror, etc.) to see the .mozilla and .thunderbird directories in your backup medium.When you want to use these profiles for a new installation of Linux on your system1) BEFORE

What I've done before is just copy the profile <randomname> folder to ~/.mozilla-thunderbird/ then open Thunderbird from a terminal with thunderbird --profilemanager and choose the copied one as default. It should contain all the settings and mail from the old installation anyway.Similar process for Firefox.

:wacko: ;) Not working here ... put respective CD/DVD in the tray ... open the "disk icon" , click on copy which copies it to the clipboard .. then click on "home icon" it opens (hidden files are shown) ,, click on either .mozilla or .thunderbird .. I can see the xfer of info from the clipboard to the selected folder .. but when I open up the folder I do not have that info .. have even rebooted but it still not there ... what am I doing or not doing.

V.T. Eric Layton

Dale just navigate to the CD in your file manager and navigate to /home/dale in your file manager (new window or new tab, either way) RIGHT click on the .mozilla on the CD and choose COPY. Go to the /home/dale in the other window/tab and RIGHT click a blank area in there and choose PASTE. It's that simple, buddy. I don't know what fancy footwork you're trying to do.

Well....... did that ,,, everything is back to where it was at (more or less) .. but it is not a "smooth" transistion ... get this error in both files .. an alert having to do with security issues ... ... at the moment .. can no longer bookmark websites ... also got some problems deleting emails .. other than that .. it works ...

V.T. Eric Layton

Strange, Dale. Are the versions of FF and TB that you took the backups from near to the versions you're now using? That's the only thing that I can think of that would cause an issue like what you're describing.

Actually .... they should be one in the same ... I think that my best bet .. would be to do a new install of PCLinuxOS .. and start over .. that would clear all that info from the two files .. might make it much easier

:( ....Well .. that did not work ... did a re-install and .. did not open up anythng .. as far as firefox went .. just put the disk in the try ... opened it up .. also brought up the /dale/home/ page .. found a blank spot and then clicke on the "copy" from the CD .. and then pasted it to the home page .. and got same results as I had ..any ideas / suggestions what I am doing wrong

V.T. Eric Layton

Oh, and a little apology for seeming as though I was losing my patience with you, Dale, in that post that I deleted using the BIG BOLD letters. I think the post with the pics above will help you "see" better what needs doing. :(

:hysterical: ... Pictures are good .... I like pictures ...They serve to confirm that what I have been doing is what the instructions say I should be doing ,,, AND THEY STILL NOT WORKING ....Not to mention that what I see on my monitor is not the same as what is shown in the example

Hello Dale and ModeratorsI think that maybe this will help. It would be worth a try anyway. I use firefox and thunderbird in several distributions. I also have been using the same profile for thunderbird and firefox for over 2 years. What I do is copy the complete .firefox and .thunderbird directories to the new distro or old distro whatever the case may be. I copy them to the home directory. Then I do a install of firefox and thunderbird if they are not already installed. If they were already installed in the distro by default I do a reinstall. This way no matter what version of firefox or thunderbird when you do the install it will upgrade if needed and will let you know if any Extensions or plugins won't work and will disable the ones that are not compatable. When you install or reinstall it will retain all of your settings, plugins, Extensions, and address's if compatable. I have done this for over 2 years without a problem.Mel :hysterical:

Sounds good ... but .. I have tried that with FF already .. removed it via the configure you computer method ... then I tried to install from the CD that I had burned .. I still end up witht he same responses .... I am left with this thought that the CD/DVD that I burned are corrupt in that they do not install clean ... so .. if there is a means available where I can open up those two disks .. I will make the entries manually as necessary

V.T. Eric Layton
Nice!!! You sharing, right?
Sure! That was my biker club's Christmas party. There was lots more where that came from. You can't see the table and countertop behind me in that pic, but they're both covered with booze... and alcoholic's dream. hic3nj.gif